Chapter 49

It Should Have Been Me

Khun’s POV

 

I had a meeting scheduled today at Kim Co. and I was running late. I parked my car in front of their entrance when I saw a familiar lady brush pass me.

“Jaehee~”

I saw her sit on the stairs, she was fidgeting. She stood up and paced back and forth. I made my way for her, but she walked towards the sidewalk, she typed something on her phone.

“Kim Jaehee!”

She dropped her phone on the ground, and then I saw her walk in the middle of the street and closed her eyes. And that’s when I saw my besst friend get hit.

“Jaehee!” I ran towards the scene. Someone called the ambulance.

When the medics arrived I ran to my car and drove to the hospital.

 

~~~Narrator’s POV~~~

 

Kim Jaejoong was seen running to the hospital, he parked his car on front of the doors, not minding the people he hit as he ran to the doors.

He was made his way to the emergency room.

“Where is Kim Jaehee? She got in a car accident.” He asked one nurse.

“She’s at the ER right now, she’s being operated on.”

Jaejoong sat on one of the plastic chairs in front of the emergency room. He was worried for his sister. He didn’t know what to do if something bad happens to her.

 

“Jae!” Khun was seen running to him.

“How is she?”

“I don’t know…she’s still inside.” Jaejoong said, worry painted in his face.

“I’ll take care of the papers.” Khun knew he needed time alone. Jaejoong nodded.

 

Your POV

 

What happened?! Car……accident?

Oppa and I arrived at the hospital, we both rushed to the emergency room. I saw Jaejoong sitting down on one of the chairs.

“Is she inside?” Oppa asked him.

He nodded. I didn’t know what to do…..

“What happened?” Yunho oppa asked.

“She got hit by a container van…”

I felt my insides turn in worry.

“The impact threw her about 3 meters away.” Jaejoong looked down. I felt my tears fall. Yunho oppa sighed.

“Did the doctor say something?” Oppa asked.

“I haven’t met him yet.”

 

After two hours, Yunho oppa left to deal with the press. Hee was still inside. I sat beside Jaejoong.

“I’m…sorry.”  I said.

He shook his head.

“It’s not your fault, Minyoung.”

“Why would she cross the street? She was supposed to be inside! We were having a press conference!” He ranted.

“I should have kept an eye on her! I shouldn’t have yelled at her when she stopped me!” He was crying now.

“Jae, stop blaming yourself, it was an accident.” I hugged him.

“No, it’s my fault, she didn’t want me to announce about….Sooyeon, I must have hurt her feelings that’s why she ran away.”

I didn’t say anyting, I just hugged him.

“Jaehee’s going to be okay, she’s a strong girl.” I said, with tears on my eyes.

 

Khun’s POV

 

Yoochun arrived, we were making our way back to the ER when Jae’s secretary came.

“Oh, Sec. Lee.” Yoochun greeted him.

“What happened? Why did Jae schedule a surprise presscon?” I asked.

Sec. Lee looked down. Something’s not right.

“…He was going to announce his engagement. The director tried to stop him, but..he got angry at her..”

“Then?” Yoochun prodded.

“I saw the young miss run out of the building.”

“Jaehee tried to stop him?” I asked.

He nodded.

Then it all fit into pieces, Jaehee didn’t just cross the street and got distracted, she crossed the street to be a distraction. She wanted to stop her brother.

 

I ran to the emergency room, and found Jae and Minyoung.

“You know what, Kim Jaejoong, you are an idiot of a brother.” I said.

He looked at me, confused.

“Jaehee didn’t cross the street because she wanted to, and she didn’t get hit by a car just because she didnt see it.”

“Khun, what do you mean?” Minyoung asked, teary eyed.

“You didn’t listen to her, right?” I asked.

“She purposely got hit, to stop you, Jaejoong!” I said. I heard someone gasp behind me. Yunho.

“I don’t get you, Khun, why would~”

“Check your phone.” I walked away.

 

~~~Narrator’s POV~~~

 

Yunho heard it all. He looked at Jaejoong and Minyoung.

“She wanted to stop me, too.” Minyoung said to herself, remembering their conversation.

She looked at her brother, who was almost crying.

“Oppa~~, I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t have~

“I don’t want to talk right now, Youngie, I’ll be downstairs.” Yunho turned away.

Jaejoong read the text from his sister.

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

Oppa, Sooyeon blackmailed Minyoung. Ask her about the truth. -Jaehee.

 

Blackmail? Sooyeon blackmailed Minyoung? I looked at Minyoung.

“Minyoung-ah?”

She turned.

“Did Sooyeon blackmail you?”

She looked at me, her eyes widened.

“I-”

The doctor came out of the room.

“Kim Jaehee’s family?”

“I’m her brother.” I stood up.

“She has passes the dangerous stage, she loss a lot of blood, but we already transferred her to room 532.”

I nodded, somehow, I felt relieved that she was safe now.

Minyoung and I silently went up, I didn’t know what to say to her. I cant believe that Jaehee did that. I closed my eyes briefly and pinched the bridge of my nose. This is all too much.

 

 

Your POV

 

Jaejoong looked stressed, we were making our way to the room when the doctor earlier stopped us and invited us over to a private room.

We both sat down on the chairs in front of him.

“I wanted to talk to you two regarding Miss Kim’s current condition.”

Condition? Didn’t he say that Jaehee was already pass the dangerous stage? Doesn’t that also mean she’s okay now?

“Doctor, what do you mean?” Jaejoong asked. I noticed that the doctor looked worried.

“In her condition right now, her body is well, but we’re not sure when she will wake up. She hit her head pretty hard, some of her ribs are broken, due to the impact it must have caused some shock~”

“So, you’re saying that my sister…is in a… coma?” Jaejoong said, I saw his grip tighten on the armrest.

“Yes. But don’t worry too much, sir. She will wake up.” The doctor gave us a useless reassuring smile.

 

We went to Jaehee’s room after talking with the doctor. When Jaejoong opened the door, I saw my best friend, the only person whom I trust, lying down looking so lifeless. I felt my tears threateining to fall.

Jaejoong went straight to her, he didn’t say a word but he just sat on her bed and looked at her. I decided to give them som privacy and went out.

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

I saw my sister looking so pale. The blush on her cheeks gone, her eyes were sunken. It felt as if someone was choking me. This all my fault, if only I HAD LISTENED TO HER EARLIER, this wouldn’t have happened. I felt my tears fall, I took her hand gently. She had all sorts of wires attached to her.

“Jaehee-yah, you have to wake up….i still have to scold you for doing this……I still…need to…..i need you sister, please wake up.” I kissed her forehead.

I made a phone call to my secretary and told him to deal with the media outside. My conversation with Khun was still lingering in my mind. Jaehee’s text message.

I heard the door open.

“Is she okay?” Yunho asked.

“I talked with the doctor…..she’s…physically, she’s okay,, but….they don’t know when she’ll wake up.” I said, looking away. Yunho didn’t say anything, but he just sat on the chair near the bed.

I went out of the room and found Minyoung standing by the door.

“Minyoung-ah.” I said.

She looked up.

“Can we talk?” I asked. She nodded, she followed me out of the building and to the garden.

 

“Jaehee’s text message…she said..you were blackmailed by Sooyeon, is it true?”  I asked.

She looked away.

“Minyoung-ah, you have to tell me the truth, I cant deal with lies anymore.” I said.

“Lies….Jaejoong, I cant~”

“You have to tell me, so that I can help you.” I took hold both of her shoulders.

“The time….before you…confessed to me…..she told me..she knew.” I saw tears fall from her face.

“She knew?”

“About us, the fake relationship.”

“What?! How?” I was baffled. How did Soooyeon know?!

“I don’t know, she just said she knew, then…she told me….that she’d tell everyone.”

“So?” I sighed.

“So? What will happen to the company? What will happen to you? I didn’t want you to be hurt.” She said.

“And instead you got hurt, you’re selfish.” I muttered.

“I’m sorry, Jae, I just didn’t want to~”

“Hwang Sooyeon is nothing, if she did tell about us, why would people listen to her? I could have just fixed it.” I said.

“But a lot of people will get hurt~” She tried to reason again.

“I don’t want you to get hurt, that’s the point.”

“I’m sorry.” She looked down. I didn’t say anything but I just gave her a hug.

“And Jae?” She whispered.

“I wont leave you.” She said.

I felt a smile on my lips.

“I love you, Jung Minyoung.” I kissed her forehead.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++