~Nerve Racking Dinner

Psychology Boyfriend

First of all, let me say that I have not fallen off the face of the Earth (were that even possible xD)

I'm sorry that I haven't updated in two weeks.  I've just been really stressed about final grades, not to mention being sick as well.

I wasn't going to update today, but I felt very guilty for not updating and providing an excuse for where I've been.

Please forgive me.

Anyway, I hope you like this extremely be-lated update.

 


 

Previous Chapter:

“Gomawayo. I have no idea what I’d do without you.”

“You’d freak.”

I laughed as we walked out into the ball room again. More people were coming in, socializing as they found their way to their seats. 

“Probably more than I am now, at least.”

“I’m right here.”

“Ara. I’ll be fine, I know it. I have to show your father I’m not afraid of him. I have to show him that I’m worthy of you, even if I’m not.

“You’re wrong you know.”

“Wae?”

“It’s the other way around. I’m not worthy of you.”

I smiled as I hooked my arm through his, examining the ballroom.

“Ani. We’re both worthy of each other, problem done.”

We both looked at each other and smiled. Soon, it was time for dinner to be served, and we made our way to where our parents were sitting. Smiling, I prepared for what was to come next.

 


 

Korean Vocabulary:

 


 

Dear Diary,                                                                                                                                      12/31/11

            It’s hard to believe today is the last day of 2011.  The year has flown by so quickly and so many things have happened in the last couple of months.  It’s crazy.  I’ve gotten a boyfriend, experienced first hand with bullies, met chaebols, and soon, I’m going to meet my boyfriend’s parents…wow.

            I’m sitting in my hotel room right now, waiting for Yun Ho oppa and my parents to get ready for the party.  I just finished preparing.  Honestly, I’m nervous.  It’s barely been two months, yet I’m already meeting Jin Ki’s parents…feels like I’m going to get married soon.  But of course, we all know that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

            I’m wondering how I’ll do.  Hopefully, I won’t make a fool of myself, and get on their good side.  Jin Ki says that his parents aren’t so happy with him dating me, but if I’m able to change their minds, then it’ll be for the better. 

            As for any New Year’s resolutions, I don’t have much.  I just want to live a healthy and good life, making my family happy, and still be together with Jin Ki.  We have one more month left with this Psychology Project, and hopefully what we have won’t end because of the project being over.  I’ve learned a lot with this project, and it’s hard to believe I didn’t want to do it in the first place.  I’ve gained so much from it.  It looks like someone is at the door.  I guess I should go open it.  Wish me luck!

Kang Yun Hee


 

Jin Ki and I made our way to the table we were assigned to.  Yes, everyone had assigned seats, just so there wouldn’t be any hassle with the seating arrangements with everyone randomly everywhere.  Since Jin Ki’s parents were hosting the party, our table was situated near the front of the stage, and almost in the middle of all the other tables.  It was nerve racking to say the least, and that didn’t help my already high strung nerves at that moment.  What if I make a mistake when I’m up there? What if I’m reaching for a piece of food, and it drops from my utensils onto the floor? Everyone will see me embarrass myself!

 

“Jagiya, gwen cha na? You’re breathing a little too fast.”

“A…ani! I’m fine!”

“I’m not so sure you are. Do you need to go to the bathroom? Get some water? Rest?”

“Oppa, gwen cha na.  I’m just nervous.”

 

Oppa led me quickly to the table we were assigned at and sat me down, before taking the seat next to mine.  He grasped my hands and squeezed them reassuringly.

 

“It’s okay, nothing will happen.  We’re just going to eat with our parents, arasso?”

“But, what if I make a fool of myself? We’re in front of everyone!”

“They won’t be looking at you.   Just relax, and remember that your parents, Yun Ho, and I are here with you.  You’re not alone.”

 

I took deep breaths, and calmed down slightly.  I smiled and nodded at Oppa, reaching for a drink of water.  He was right, I would be okay.

Soon, Umma, Appa, and Yun Ho oppa came to our table.  Jin Ki’s parents weren’t here yet, since they still had to make a speech before dinner officially commenced. Umma noticed my pale face and asked me worriedly what happened.

 

“Umma, I’m just a little nervous, that’s all.”

“About what?”

“Just…meeting Jin Ki’s parents, and sitting in front of everyone in this ballroom.”

“I know it’s easier said than done, but just relax.  You won’t do what you want to do if you’re too nervous.”

“Arayo Umma.  I’ll try.”

“Keu dae…”

 

Umma rubbed my arm reassuringly as we sat.  Pretty soon, we saw Lee Jae Min and his wife ascend the stage, and the chatter in the room grew quiet.  Smiling, Lee Jae Min began his welcome speech.

 

“Friends, another year has flown by, and here we are again at this annual New Year’s Party.  It seems hard to believe, doesn’t it?  I hope you all have spent this past year in happiness, and in a productive way, accomplishing your goals, just as I have.  If you weren’t able to see your goals accomplished, make this upcoming year the time to do it. Let us hope for the New Year to be another year filled with opportunities and glory.”

 

The crowd gave a loud applause as he finished speaking. Smiling, he waited for it to die down before speaking again.

 

“Let us begin our meal tonight without any hitch, but before that, I would like to introduce someone.  He is someone who reminds me much of myself, and a person I treasure.  I hope that in the future, he will bring the Lee Dong group to newer heights. Please welcome my son, Lee Jin Ki.”

 

The spotlight suddenly shined down on Jin Ki as he bewilderedly stood up.  With a last glance at me, he made his way up to the stage and stood by his parents.  Smiling, his father laid his hand on Jin Ki’s shoulder and looked out to the audience.

 

“Lee Jin Ki will be the successor to the Lee Dong company in the future, so please give him your love, just as you have given it to me.  Thank you, and please enjoy your meal.”

 

Jin Ki and his parents bowed before making their way off the stage and toward our table.  I stood up as they approached and greeted them.  Jin Ki’s mother smiled at me warmly while his father nodded his head slightly, before taking his seat and turning to Appa to talk. 

 

“Yun Hee ya, why don’t you take a seat.”

“Deh.”

 

Jin Ki’s mother gestured for me to sit down as she did, and I followed suit. After she took a sip of her water, Jin Ki’s mother looked at Umma and started a conversation.

 

“You’ve raised such a yeppeun ttal Mi Kyoung.”

“Gomawayo Unnie.  Yun Hee is quite a treasure.”

 

I blushed as Umma smiled at me. 

 

“You’ve raised Jin Ki well Unnie.  I’m sure he’ll be a great leader one day.”

“Well, I’ve done my best, but these days, I think someone else is helping him even more than I am.”

 

She looked at me with a smile on her face and I ducked my head in embarrassment.  I don’t know how long I’ll last from this.

 

“What do you want to pursue Yun Hee ya?”

 

I looked up at Jin Ki’s mother, who had asked me that question.  Looking at Jin Ki, he smiled encouragingly to me.

 

“Well, I want to pursue a career in the medical field.  I’m not quite sure which direction I’ll go yet, but I am positive that I’ll be doing something in that area in the future.”

“Becoming a doctor is a wonderful choice.  It certainly wouldn’t hurt to have a doctor in the family, would it Jin Ki?”

 

My eyes widened as I heard her say that, and I looked at Jin Ki who was flushing red.

 

“Umma, it’s a little too soon to be talking about that, isn’t it?”

 

His mother laughed before taking another sip of her water.  She looked at the two of us before speaking.

 

“It’s never too soon to talk about this honey.  Besides, I’m only saying this because I know you two will stay together.  You have such chemistry!”

 

I breathed a sigh of relief.  At least I had Jin Ki’s mother on my side.  Looking over at Lee Jae Min, I began to worry again.  What if he doesn’t accept me? It doesn’t matter if I’m his friend’s daughter.  If he thinks I’m not good enough, then he won’t approve of me dating Jin Ki.  Just then, his eyes met mine, and I bowed my head in a silent greeting.  He nodded as well before going back to the conversation he was having with Appa.

Thankfully, the food arrived.  This was a lavish multi course meal tonight, and I expected nothing less of a Lee Dong dinner party. The first course was a variety dish filled with different foods, from sushi to salads.  You took your pick out of the dish, and of course, you only take a little bit at a time.  Taking a load full wouldn’t look kindly on you. I waited for the parents to choose their food before picking mine.  Before I could do it though, Jin Ki set a couple of morsels on my plate.

 

“You like tuna right? It’s actually really good here.  Try it.”

“Gomawayo.”

 

He grinned before placing some food on his own plate.  I picked up the food carefully before putting it into my mouth.  I chewed slowly and carefully, so I wouldn’t have any food seen or flying out of my mouth.  Swallowing, I moved onto my next piece.  I think this was the most careful I had to eat in my whole life.

As the courses came one after another, singers and acts went about on stage to entertain the guests.  Of course, I paid attention to that once in awhile, my mind occupied with keeping face instead of having fun.  Jin Ki was freely conversing with my parents and Yun Ho, in addition to his parents.  I talked here and there, mostly with Jin Ki, Umma, and Yun Ho, since they were sitting nearest to me. Appa and Lee Jae Min were caught in conversation nearly the whole time, reminiscing of their college days. At least Appa was on his good side…

Finally, the desert course came, consisting of light cakes and fruit. I was more or less slightly more comfortable than I was earlier during the night, but I was still waiting for some sign that Lee Jae Min had accepted me.  Of course, this was largely pointless, as we’ve exchanged probably a grand total of 5 words during this night so far. Jin Ki’s mother had just left the table to go great some of her friends, and soon Lee Jae Min did that as well.  When they were gone, I finally let out a sigh.

 

“You’ve done well so far jagiya.”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to last any longer.”

“Yun Hee.”

“Deh Appa?”

“Relax.  I’ve put in some good words about you to Jae Min, and I think he’s okay with you.”

“Gomawayo Appa, but unless I hear it from him straight, I don’t think I’ll be able to relax.”

“You’ll be fine Yun Hee.”

“Easy for you to say Yun Ho oppa.  You’re not the one being scrutinized…”

“That’s what you think.  Lee Jae Min has been talking to me here and there the entire night.  I have to keep this family’s face you know.”

 

I cracked a smile as I ate a logan.  Chewing slowly, I heard the MC say something about dancing.  Looking over, the tables on the dance floor had been removed, creating a space for the guests to dance. The music began to play, and people dwindled onto the floor as their confidence grew. 

Jin Ki stood up before bowing and sticking his hand out for mine.

 

“Milady, would you give me the honor of this dance?”

 

I hesitated before slipping my hand into his, grinning at his show.

 

“I’d be happy to, kind sir.”

 

Jin Ki grinned back as he led me to the dance floor.  He took us into the middle of the crowd before turning to me.  Seeing my worried face, he frowned.

 

“What’s wrong?”

“Oppa, you’ve probably have had tons of practice for this kind of thing, but I’ve never danced in my entire life…”

 

He smiled before putting my hand on his shoulder and taking the other one in his hand.  His remaining hand settled on my lower back.  I gulped at he looked at me again.

 

“Don’t worry.  It’s all in the leading.”

“That’s what they all say.”

“They say it because it’s true, isn’t it?”

“I guess.”

“Shall we?”

 

I took a deep breath before nodding.  A new song came on, and so the dancing began.

 


 

Yup yup, dinner party is very nerve racking for Yun Hee...wonder what will happen next...

Comment and Subscribe!

<3 WinterRose

 


 

crazy4you: Yeah, I laughed at that too xD The ninja part killed me actually ^^ And yes, Jin Ki is the absolute best boyfriend ever...because I can make him so :D

--iluvreading--: How's school for you? Mine has been soo stressful xD But, this story gives me some relief.  I hope it provides some for you as well!

amyra961: Yeah, their parents being friends...what a coincidence (is it really? ^_~)

Onigiri: OH, but you are her.  Just use your imagination ^^ (LOVE your username btw :D)

theclumsywitch: I hope she'll gain his approval as well!

SHINeepoofs: I would write everyday if I could xD I'll try to though!

pResTige: Sorry for not doing the weekly updates so far.  I think it'll be back to normal once finals are done >.<

Lorena: I'd like a boyfriend like him too...it'd be nice to have someone to lean on.

MissLOLA1412: You're ordering it? Nice ^^ I really liked at that dress...but I have no occasion to wear it.

Iheartlife: Sorry for not updating soon :/ Hope you liked this chapter anyway!

MechanicalAngel: Lol, I guess so ^^ I hope you liked this chapter!

starlove: I'm aiming for that xD

jay_rose: Sorry for not seeing you for two weeks >.< I hope you liked the update anyway!

onsangtae: Arranged marriage? Pish posh, that's so last centuary...right?

tofulurvers: Sorry for the extremely belated update! I liked the dress as well.  Innocent, but elegant as well.

ViviChenny: I hope they'll be together forever as well :D

cupcakesncassiemina: Wow, hats off to you :D I'm glad this story was able to hook you for that long.  Hope you liked this chapter!