Being the Daugther-In-Law

By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Amber’s Pov

 

“My hands are shaking,” I said as we stood in front of the door.

“I’m right here,” Krystal said taking my hand.

“Don’t let go. No matter what,” I said.

“I won’t,” she promised before we heard another knock.

 

I sighed and reached for the door knob. 

 

“Wait,” she said making me look back at her.

 

She reached up to kiss me quickly, before saying, “For luck.” I took a deep breath and opened the door to find our parents standing in the doorway.

 

“Amber-” my mom said reaching for me.

“No. Come in but don’t say anything,” I said harsh stepping back as they all came in and shut the door.

“But-” she said again.

“No Mom!” I yelled as I felt Krystal flinch against me. “I’m so tired of feeling like this. You make me hate myself, and question every choice I make. Especially one as important as who I’m going to marry. I’m not going to let you do this to me anymore. I will be happy, and if that means you can’t be in my life then so be it! I’d rather it be that way then still see you, and have you disapprove of Krystal, and what she means to me. She doesn’t deserve that. Have you given any thought to how you have affected her? I don’t want you to just get used to the idea of her, or learn to be ok with this. Life is so short, and we don’t deserve to be treated like this. Every couple that decides to make this commitment should be celebrated. And if you raised me, and you love me then you should trust me. I love her so much, and she deserves to be treated with respect. She has done nothing wrong, and neither have I. If you don’t agree with me, then please keep it to yourself. I can’t take anymore pain over this. And more importantly I won’t allow you to hurt my fiancée. I don’t have to defend or prove to you that my feelings are real. Everyone has the right to fall in love! It’s not wrong for me to love her!” I yelled as Krystal took my face and tried to calm me down. 

“Breathe,” she whispered.

“It’s not wrong for me to love you,” I whispered.

 

She pulled me into a hug, and I saw my mom coming closer to us over her shoulder. I quickly broke the hug, and pulled her behind me protectively.

 

“Are you afraid of me?” my mom asked hurt.

“I think I have a right to be. I was so scared when I heard that you were coming that I had a panic attack thinking about what might happen,” I admitted.

“I’m your mother.”

“That’s why this hurts so much.”

“I didn’t know how much my feelings had affected you.”

“How could it not mom? I grew up believing that I could never lose your love. But the thought of you hating me over something like this kills me. This isn’t a choice I made, it’s the way I am. And for you to not like who I am....I just always wanted to make you proud. What else can I do? I can’t change who I love or who I am. And it’s not fair for you to want me to. I’m still me. I’m still your child...” I trailed off as Krystal gripped my hand harder.

 

She came closer slowly. I wanted to back away, but I was frozen. She looked me over, and pulled me into a hug.

 

“I’m sorry,” she said crying into my shoulder.

 

I tried to resist. I still held Krystal’s hand. But this was my mom. The woman who gave me life. I had always looked up to her, and now she was holding me again. She pulled back, and touched my face.

 

“You’ve always been my strong willed child. Adventurous, generous, and smart,” she said through tears.

“Mom, what does that mean?” I asked afraid.

“I’d like to speak with Krystal alone,” she said simply.

“What? No, I won’t let you-”

“Am, it’s ok. I’ll talk with her,” Krystal said.

“Krys I don’t think it’s a good idea. We were going to stay together,” I told her.

“You said what you needed to. I think she’s making an effort. Let’s just give it a chance.”

“Fine but if something happens come get me right away.”

“Yeah I promise. Can we use your room?” she asked.

“Ok, mom you two can talk in my room,” I said leading them to it.

 

As I closed the door behind them I wondered if I had just made a huge mistake.

 

Krystal’s Pov

 

Once Amber left and we were alone, she seemed transfixed with the room. I knew she had never seen it of course. But she was ignoring me, walking around looking at her things. She stopped at her dresser which had a collection of framed pictures on top

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter