Not Everything is Easy

By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Later that Night

Back at the Hotel on the Couch

 

Amber’s Pov

 

“I think I’m finally ready to do it,” I said talking into the phone.

“Ready to do what?” Jackie asked.

“Tell mom and dad about Krystal and I.”

“Really!? I know that that has weighed on you for a long time. It has been one of your biggest fears for the past few years. What has caused you to want to do it now?” she asked.

“I want to do it in person, and I don’t know for sure when we will be back in L.A. And to be completely honest Jackie I don’t want to wait until I have to introduce her as my fiancée,” I whispered Krystal’s hair from where she had fallen asleep with her head on my lap.

“No way! You are planning to propose soon?” She asked excited.

“Yeah I’m really starting to think of how I want to do it. And it might be almost a year before I see mom and dad again. It might actually kill mom if she learns about us at the same time she learns we are engaged.”

“Yeah that is a major mood killer. But I’m so happy for you guys. I can’t wait for Krys to officially be my sister. But yeah telling them isn’t going to be easy, I really feel for you. Since you are leaving in two days, were you planning on do this tomorrow?” she asked.

“Yeah I thought we could all have dinner at the house, and then tell them after,” I told her.

“If that is what you want, you know I will be there to support you. You know that.”

“I know, and I can’t thank you enough,” I said sincerely. 

“What are you going to do if it doesn’t go well?” she asked hesitantly.

“I have spent so many hours of my life worrying about this, and I’m tired of it. Krystal is my future, I whole heartedly know that, and I can’t live like this anymore. If they don’t accept then at least I won’t be hiding anymore. I really don’t want to force a rift between you and them either. I really don’t want that.”

“Don’t worry about me. But it will be hard for me to interact with them if they treat you badly over this. You seem to be in a good place about this though,” she said surprised. 

“I’ll let you know how I feel if it really does happen. But I know what is the most important. I will always have you. And Krystal is going to be my family. I am going to start a life with her, and that is all I really need,” I said brushing my hand against the side of her face.

“That’s right. I’m glad you feel like that. You should get some sleep for tomorrow. I’ll pick you guys up from the hotel around five to head over to the house. Does that sound alright?” she asked.

“Yeah I’ll call them in the morning and tell them about dinner, and five should be a good time for you to get us. Love you.”

“Love you too. One way or another at least by this time tomorrow it will all be over,” she said trying to comfort me.

“I know. Bye.”

“Bye,” she said before hanging up.

 

“Krys...wake up...” I whispered shaking her.

“Huh?” she asked opening her eyes.

“I have to tell you something,” I said.

“What’s wrong?” she asked turning to look up at me from my lap.

“Nothing is really wrong. But I just got off the phone with Jackie and we have made plans to all have dinner with my parents tomorrow night. Is that alright with you?” I asked as she yawned.

“Of course it will be nice to see them again,” she responded.

“Krys I’m planning to tell them about us.”

“Oh? Are you sure?” she asked putting a comforting hand on the side of my face.

“I think I am. I just think that it is time. I want to tell them in person with you by my side. I think tomorrow is as good a day as any. I’ve waited long enough, you are too important to me to keep a secret any longer.”

 

She brought my head down to hers to give me a gentle kiss.

 

“If you’re sure,” she said keeping my face close to hers.

“I am.”

“How are you feeling about it?” she asked concerned.

“At the end of the day I’ll still have you. That’s what’s important to me,” I said staring at her.

“Am...”

“Come on let’s get you to bed. We have a big day tomorrow,” I said putting my hands under her and standing up with her in my arms.

“I swear I don’t know how you got so strong,” she commented.

“I may looking skinny, but it’s all muscle,” I said in my best macho voice.

“That’s partly it. But I think it has a lot to do with your inner strength as well. You are the strongest person I know,” she said holding on to me tightly.

“I could say the same about you.”

“That’s kind of you.”

“It’s true. Like I said earlier you are my strength. Without you I could never be strong. You handle every obstacle in your life with such grace and quiet determination. Don’t think that you are not strong, even for one second,” I told her passionately.

“We make each other stronger,” she said smiling at me. 

 

The Next Afternoon

 

“Ok Jackie let’s go before one of us feels compelled to change our clothes again,” I told her sliding into the car next to Krystal and closing the door.

“Fashion emergency?” she joked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter