Permission and Performing

By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Amber’s Pov

 

As I lay on Henry’s couch, I couldn’t help but think about what happened when we told Krystal’s parents about us two months ago. It was much less of a spectacle than what we went through with mine. They were shocked, but not angry. Krystal’s mom was more upset that we didn’t tell her sooner. She has always thought I was quite the charmer. I definitely think her parents were more open to the idea of us, from the time they spent living in L.A. Her dad wouldn’t stop asking us questions, he wanted to know everything that he had missed out on. He also warned us to be very careful with the media, so that they don’t find out about us and cause a frenzy. I’ve never seen Krystal so beside herself with happiness because her parents not alone didn’t disapprove of us but they liked me. But my favorite moment I’ve had with her family happened a few days ago. When went to talk to her father alone.

 

Flashback

 

“So Amber it’s nice to see you today,” her father said as he showed me into his office. “What is this about? I mean why are you here alone? Not that I’m not glad to see you,” he said sitting down.

“Sorry for just coming over unannounced. But I wanted to talk to you about something,” I said sitting down in my own chair. 

“Sure. What do you want to talk about?”

“I’m kind of nervous,” I admitted.

“Is something wrong? Is it about Soojung?” he asked concerned.

“No nothing’s wrong. This just isn’t easy to say. It’s really important to me.”

“Take your time then,” he said.

“You have been so kind to me. To both me and her. I can’t express how much that has meant to me. As you remember when we told you, we’ve been together for a long time. And I love her with all my heart. She’s my whole world. And I don’t want to be too forward but I have something to ask you about our future. I’ve really given this a lot of thought and I know I’m ready. I want to ask you for permission. For permission...to ask your daughter to marry me,” I said in a rush.

“Oh. Wow...um...” he said resting his hands on his desk and leaning forward.

“Please don’t be mad. I will respect whatever decision you make, but I want to do this to show her how much I love her. I’m not suggesting that we get married anytime soon, but I want to start our future,” I said.

“Are you sure that you are ready to do it now? You are both still so young?” he asked me.

“I’m positive. Her and I have been through a lot these past few months. I know that we told you and Mrs. Jung that my parents know about us, but they didn’t take it well. It was really hard on both of us. I just wanted to share her with them, and they made her feel like she wasn’t good for me. If I propose then it’s permanent. It’s real for anyone that says it’s not. It means that our love is the last thing standing no matter what. We need this.”

“I had no idea your parents felt that way. I’m sorry that it’s been so hard for you. But you still shouldn’t propose for anyone else but yourself. Nothing should make you feel like you have to do it,” he explained.

“I know. This is all about her. I know for sure that I’m going to spend the rest of my life with her, so I can either do it now or later. It’s not if, but when.”

“How are your parents going to feel about this?” he asked thoughtfully.

“My dad has become much more supportive of me. It was only his initial reaction that was bad. He is actually the one that helped me get this,” I said taking the ring box out of my pocket and placing it on the desk in front of him. “My mom is a different story. But I’m hopeful. That’s all I can be.”

“Oh my...” he said opening the box and looking at the ring. “This is beautiful. I couldn’t even afford something this nice for my wife’s ring. I’m sure that it will look very stunning on her.”

“Wait are you saying...” I trailed off excited.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter