Fear

By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Krystal’s Pov

 

“I think I’m going to be sick,” Amber said suddenly running out of my room after dropping her phone.

 

Torn between wanting to follow her and pick up the phone, I decided to do the second. I picked it up and asked what she had said to her. She quickly explained, and I exchanged goodbyes letting her know that I was going to go find Amber. I put the phone aside and checked our upstairs bathroom, then I moved onto the downstairs one. I found her dry heaving over the toilet. It scared me. I moved to place a hand on her back, and the sudden touch frightened her. She looked at me with wide eyes before leaning back over the toilet. 

 

“I’m here. Try to calm down,” I said desperate. 

 

She tried, but it only got worse. She was starting to sweat. And her heaving turned into ragged breaths. She was breathing too fast, or too short. Something was terribly wrong. What do I do? This has never happened before. Even when I’ve been with her at her worst moments. I reached towards her, but pulled back afraid that I would make it worse. She sat down and slumped against the wall. I had to do something. I backed out of the bathroom, and scanned my eyes around my house.

 

“Mom! Dad! I need your help! Please!” I yelled hoping that they would hear me wherever they were in the house.

 

A few seconds later they both came running down the stairs from their bedroom.

 

“Honey, what is it?” my mom asked.

“It’s Amber. She needs help. I don’t know what to do,” I said pointing to the bathroom.

 

Both of them entered the bathroom with me.

 

“She’s having a panic attack. We need to calm her down,” my mom explained.

“I tried,” I said my voice breaking.

“Get a washcloth, and wet it,” she told me.

“Amber, look at me,” she told her, kneeling beside her as I got the washcloth. “You need to look at me,” she continued holding her face. “Don’t think about anything else, but what I’m saying to you. You’re ok. Nothing is wrong. You are safe here. You need to focus on your breathing. In and out. Good. Slower. That’s it. Feel your chest expand and contract,” she said in a calming voice as I placed the cloth on the back of her neck.

 

I wanted so bad to wrap my arms around her as my mother kept speaking. But I knew that was a bad idea. After a few more minutes her breathing finally was under control, but she was exhausted.

 

“Am?” I asked moving the wash cloth across her forehead.

 

Our eyes met.

 

“Let’s move out of the bathroom. Don’t move too fast,” she said as we helped her stand.

 

She swayed, and my dad quickly moved to her.

 

“I got you,” he said picking her up into his arms gently.

 

He carried her out into the living room, and placed her on the couch. I knelt beside her head, wanting to be close.

 

“I’m sorry,” she said with a sigh.

“No, shh, You don’t have to say anything,” I told her grabbing her hand.

“She needs to rest for a while. Try to just rest,” my mom explained looking at us. “Krystal come to the kitchen with me. We will get another wash cloth, and some water.”

“Ok,” I said reluctantly standing up and following her.

“Amber just close your eyes, and listen to this story. It’s not one of my finer moments, but I did one time pass out in front of the cheer leading squad at my high school,” I heard my dad say as we left the room.

 

He was trying to make her feel better. Once we entered the kitchen my mom quickly turned to me.

 

“What happened? What caused the attack?” she asked me.

“Just before she got a phone call from her sister. She ran out of the room, but I managed to pick up the phone and talk to her. She told me that her parents are coming here. They are flying tonight because...because they know about our engagement. Her mom reacted so bad before, I don’t know what this means...she worried, and so am I...what if she wants to take her back to America? Oh god...what if-”

“Stop, sweetheart don’t do that to yourself,” my mom said hugging me.

“Neither of us can handle more rejection. It was so awful after we told them we were together the first time. Her dad has come around, but I don’t think her mom ever will. Can you understand what it must feel like for Am? It already hurts me, but if it is your own mother that is against your choices. If you couldn’t accept that I love her...it would be heart breaking to me,” I said begin to cry.

“Oh but honey I do love you unconditionally. It was a surprise at first. But you love each other, and I can see how much now that I’m paying attention. And because you’ve chosen her, I love her too now. I’m so sorry that her mother doesn’t feel like I do. But I promise that I will do everything in my power to protect you both. I won’t let Amber be hurt anymore than she already has been. I can talk to them before they see you. Maybe if your father and I show them that we are supportive it could change how they feel. And even if they still can’t agree, they can’t take her away. She is an adult. It’s her choice, not theirs. She’s not going anywhere,” she explained hugging me again.

“I don’t want her to lose her mother because of me,” I said sadly holding her tight.

“I know. All I can say is that if she is marrying into the family, then I can be a mother to her. I know it’s not the same, but it’s the best I can do, is love her as my own.”

“Thank you mom.”

“It will be ok, one way or another. Nothing will break you apart. You’re engaged. That’s not something that anyone can take away,” she said pulling back.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter