Chen, The Troll

Two Moons And The Mermaids

The kids are nearing bed time so you and Suho came to their room. There you saw Chen sitting on their king sized bed and leaning against the headboard. He was in between them who were already tucked under the sheets and each facing him, listening to yet another unusual fairytale.

“Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful princess in the deep waters of the ocean called Doomsville…”

Even if you were just standing on the foot of the bed to watch, you couldn’t help but notice the absurdity from that one word so you leaned to Suho’s ear for a whisper. “Babe, I don’t like the sound of that.”

He blew out an air.

Suho walked to the side of the bed and carefully went under the blanket on Draco’s side. “Is it okay if daddy will listen too?”

“Sure!” the boy replied. “Continue Uncle ChenChen!”

Suho pulled him and draped an arm around his little body.

Chen grew curious. “What’s going on?”

You followed and went to Kirsten side. She also curled into your arms so you embraced her from under the sheets. “Don’t mind us… Wait… I never heard of a story with a place called Doomsville…” you remarked

“Ahhh…” he chuckled. “I just made that up…” he whispered. “It’s not written in the book so I had to improvise… Kekeke!”

“Mwoh? Do you even know what you’re doing?”

“Mom!” Draco butted in. “Let Uncle Chen finish the story!”

Both guys snorted leaving you embarrassed. “Fine!”

After seeing both kids comfortable, Chen, the story teller continued.

“Ehe-Ehemmm…” he cleared his throat. “The princess is called Marina. She is a beautiful young lady with a pair of blue eyes, long blonde hair, skin as white as pearl, and a tail that is pretty much like that of a salmon…”

You glared at him.

“But salmon taste good! It’s my favorite!” he mused.

“What the hell?” you hissed.

“Moommmm!” Draco whined.

As much as you want to kick Chen out, the kids were so into him that you were left enduring his painful narration.

Never have you realized how effective of a story teller he was until you heard him first hand. His face was expressive and full of emotions. He even acts out certain parts. His vocal tone also shifts as he mimic different characters.

He pretty much gives every story a life of their own. “Doomsville was the most peaceful kingdom in the entire ocean.”

‘Oh the irony of it all…’ you snorted.

“It flourished with gold, treasures, gems, anything that shimmered when light catches it.” Chen flipped a page. “But one day!” Draco and Kirsten’s head shot up with bulging eyes. “The kingdom was ravaged…” he paused. “…by SEA WITCHES!!!” he roared.

“AAAHHHHH!!!” Kirsten screamed and cowered into your chest.

Draco also took cover in Suho’s huge hands.

You kicked Chen’s foot.  “Yaaahhhh…”

“What? It’s true! Look!” he showed you the book and you read it.

“Oh!  Take it easy then! You’re scaring the kids!”

“I’m reading them a story, not a speech!” he scowled at you and continued.

“The sea witches also have tails but were very ugly compared to Marina…” he flipped another page. “They have dark eyes…” his voice deepened. “…crooked nose…tan skin… and most of all…” the kids looked at him with fear. “…sharp teeth that could rip…” his intense gaze swerved towards Draco. “…a little boy’s HEART OUT!”

“DADAAAAA!!!” the poor boy shouted and could almost squeeze inside Suho’s pajama to hide.

“Aigooo~ It’s not true, son… Don’t get scared…” he patted his back.

“Ani!” Chen said. “Look!” he also showed him the book.

“Idiot!” Suho shoved it aside. “I’m trying to calm him down. He’s shaking from your crappy story! Where did you get that book anyway?”

“From our planet! We grew up with these stories remember? The king used to read this to us before we sleep…”

“Dude! We were being trained to be Forces! My kids are nowhere near to be like us! Aish!” he aimed a punch at him.

Despite that, Kirsten was drifting to sleep so Chen continued.

“The witches came in packs and armed themselves with high powered ammunitions…”

“Whoa… Whoa…” you interrupted. “What happened to pitchforks??? Tridents???”

Chen smirked. “Oh c’mon Sehee… It’s the 21st century! Winning takes power and a whole lot of badassness! Going old school is so yesterday! Besides… It’s cooler this way!”

“Cooler my ! You’re scaring the daylights out of your nephew and niece!”

“Sssshhhh…” Suho shushed. “Pipe down… They’re sleeping already…”

“See? I’m an expert like that! Hah!” Chen bragged and slowly crawled out of the bed. “I’ll continue this tomorrow… Night y’all!”

“You’re a troll! Not a story teller! Pft!” you sneered.