Double Life

Two Moons And The Mermaids

Ever since her parents came to Seoul, Jiwon left her apartment and join them in a small house good enough to fit the 3 of them. They slept on the floor in separate bedrooms, ate their meals without the luxury of a dining room with chairs, and not even a living room with plush couches.

But despite all that, Jiwon loved the simple life with her parents. She never complained as long as they are healthy and full of love and life.

“Mom? Dad? I’m home!” Jiwon shouted upon entering the main door.

She found them watching the midnight news on a small TV, sitting on the floor, eating slices of fruits. “Where’s DO?” her mom asked.

Jiwon squeezed in between, kissing both their cheeks. “He went home already.”

“Aigoo~ I should send him more cookies for taking care of you so well.” the mother suggested.

Her father was all eyes on the screen but still butted in. “I like Sehun though. He reminds me so much of Sehee. Such a sweet and responsible kid.”

“Eh? You only met him at my birthday party.” she chuckled.

“Ani!” her dad continued. “He always came here. The landlord is so stingy that everything in this house needs to be repaired.” he sighed, looking around. “I’m just thankful Sehun comes to help me out. He has good carpenter skills for his age.”

They chuckled in chorus.

Jiwon couldn’t be more thankful for Sehun’s efforts. It’s her parents and anyone who makes them happy, makes her happy as well. ‘Komawo Sehun-ah…’

It fell silent when her mother turned off the TV. She made Jiwon face her and held her hands. “Jiwon-ah…We are happy that you found friends who your father and I can trust. But you always have to bear in mind who and what we really are.”

Jiwon knew at that moment that her parents have been worried for her since they arrived in Seoul. It was just after all a matter of time. “Mom…Dad…” she moved to give them a warm embrace. “You know why I have to do this. I have to protect Sehee unnie and everyone from Hyomin and Eunjung. Me, being a mermaid is a secret they should not know.”

Both parents knew the burden that Jiwon is handling. She might be the most charming and selfless kid in the world, but for them, she is just a fragile daughter who has a heart bigger than life itself.

Her father, a gray haired, tanned skin, and wrinkly faced gentleman, tenderly caressed her back. “Aigoo~ Uri Jiwonnie… You have grown so much! And no matter what happens, always remember that your mom and I will always be by your side. Okay?”

“Neh…” she replied, keeping a calm tone.

Her mother, a very beautiful woman who doesn’t seem to age, with skin as white as porcelain, kissed the side of her head. “You have us, sweetheart. Even if the world turns their back, you always have us. We love you, Jiwonnie.”

“I know, mom.” She pulled away, looking at them. “Saranghae, umma, appa.”

“Tsah” Enough of this!” her mom said. “Let’s go to bed.”

As they stood, her father spoke once again. “By the way…we’re going back to Jeju tomorrow. Are you gonna be okay being alone for a while?”

“I’m used to it, dad.” she bragged. “When are you coming back?”

“Not sure yet…Mom has to stay and enjoy the sea. Y’know…Mermaid thingy.” he winked.

“Right…” the daughter eyerolled.

 

Jiwon spent the entire night, staring at the ceiling as flashbacks of her life played. How she learned to embrace her fate as a mermaid, how she learned to keep everything a secret right after she was born, how she have to keep it to Seri, how she had to keep everything to herself.

Living two lives as a human and a mermaid proved to be difficult and disappearing from time to time is a part of it. ‘You’re doing a good job, Jiwon. You can’t give up. Not now. Hooooo~’ she breathed out a huge air. ‘You got this. Stay strong, Im Jiwon.’

A smile formed on her face when another flashback of her parents’ love story played. Her dad was pure human who fell in love with a mermaid. ‘You’re an idiot dad. How can you fall for a fish?’ she laughed. ‘But hey…Mom is super gorgeous so I can’t blame you.’

Despite their circumstances, both of them got a happy-ever-after. They are in love every single day and Jiwon is the living proof for that.