Burden

Two Moons And The Mermaids

“Hi TenTen…” Jiwon approached the little girl, sitting beside her while playing with Barbies. Kekemato stood guard by the door as Draco slept on the couch. “How are you doing?”

“I’m fine…” she said with her tiny voice.

Jiwon felt her burden just by looking at her. A 4 year old who barely speaks, with a body so frail that can cause Exo and BAP to panic at a bite of a mosquito. ‘I gues you know by now what I really am. Sorry for keeping it from all of you. Sorry if you have to stay here...’ she thought, her messy pig tails.

Kirsten looked to her with rounded eyes. ‘Huh? I really don't mind, Auntie Jiwon. Draco oppa thinks that something is wrong with the uncles and you're trying to help them.’

Jiwon couldn't be more thankful for having people who understand her circumstances, much less from kids who barely knows anything about life. Feeling pressured to deal with Eunjung and Hyomin is nothing compared to what they have to go through. ‘You're such good kids, Kirsten. I just feel bad ‘coz you have to be away from home.’

‘It’s okay Auntie!’ the little girl showed a thumb up. ‘Dadas and LuLu will visit us all the time and I don’t get to hear those bad fishes anymore.’

Jiwon’s lips curled up as her words become comforting. ‘Awww~ Komawo~.’

‘It's really nothing. We know that you’re not like them.' Kirsten explained and started to giggle. ' And I know that you like Uncle DO and Uncle Sehun. Teehee! You can have them both, auntie! I approve!' she showed two thumbs up.

Jiwon’s jaw fell wide open, her face turning red. She kept this part private and being exposed caught her off guard. ‘M-Mwoh? How did you…Oh right you can read thoughts.’ she slapped her forehead, remembering that someone in the family has this unique ability. ‘Aigooo~ If they only know how talkative you are! I’m caught, am I?’

‘Mhmmm!’ Kirsten covered , chuckling. ‘Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone.’

You came out holding a tray of food and saw them enjoying each other’s conversation. “Yah! Why don’t you make your own if you’re that excited to have a playmate?”

The little girl snorted.

You lowered the tray on the table, looking at them. “Wae? Wae? What are you two up to?”

“A-Ani...” Jiwon faked a smile, waving her hands in protest.

“It’s nothing, mommy.” your daughter grinned.

“Fine!” you side eyed them, giving a hand signal. “I’m watching you.”

When you left, Jiwon shifted to face Kirsten, holding her tiny hands. “It’s our secret, okay? I will give you all the cookies that you like.”

‘Jinjja?’ the little girl got so excited that her face lit up.

“Of course! Just don’t tell anyone. Deal?” Jiwon begged.

‘Deal!’ Kirsten raised her little finger.

‘Deal!’ They engaged for a pinky promise and Jiwon turned serious. ‘TenTen? Can I ask you something?’

‘Sure! What is it?’ the little girl mused.

‘Errmmm…Can you tell me what the bad fishes are planning? It’s okay if you don’t want to.’

Kirsten simply smiled with her eyes. ‘Well…the last time I saw them, they said, they will take everything away from mommy and Auntie Seri.’ she scratched the side of her head. ‘I don’t know what that means though.’, she pouted, ‘Is it something bad?’

‘It is bad, but hey…look at me.’ Jiwon held her face, ‘Don't be sad, okay? I won't let anything happen to your mom, Auntie Seri, your dadas, everybody! I promise!’

‘Neehhhh…’ she replied.

Jiwon noticed her looking away that she had to shift her face back. ‘Something wrong?’

Kirsten blinked a couple of times in hesitation but continued. ‘Uhmmm…they also said something about taking the uncles to the sea. I don’t understand… I think they’ll do something bad. Ani-ya!’

Jiwon noticed her face scrunching, then clutching her head. ‘Apa! It hurts…Aaahhh!’

She took her closer, cradling like a baby. ‘It’s okay, TenTen. That’s enough. Miahnae!’

“What happened? What’s wrong?” you asked and kneeled in front of them. “Headaches again, huh?”

Jiwon nodded.

“Aigooo…Come here, sweetie.” You opened both arms and she passed her over.

‘Miahnae, TenTen…’ Jiwon stood to leave as a mix of emotions overwhelmed her, guilt for Kirsten and rage for Hyomin and Eunjung. ’I hate this! Ugh!’ “Unnie! I’ll go and check the guys!” she yelled.

“Okay! Be careful!” you replied.