❅{taokyung} Miracles In December❅

ExoPink Oneshot Collection

Title: ❅Miracles In December❅

Characters: Huang Zitao (Tao), Hong Yookyung and Kim Minseok (Xiumin)

Pairing(s): Tao x Yookyung (main), Xiumin x Yookyung (side)

Genre: Romance/Angst


Zitao looked at his reflection in the mirror and took a deep breath before putting his coat on. He took once last look at the mirror, before taking the little red box that was on the table and heading out of his apartment. As soon as he walked out, he felt shivers run down his spine. It was a really cold december night and it was freezing outside, compared to his warm and cozy apartment.

The clock of the street showed that it was around 8 pm when he arrived to the park. Four more hours until christmas. He sighed sadly as he held the box in his hand a little tighter. Tears suddenly started rolling down his cheeks as he sat down on one empty bench. Memories of her flooded his mind. Memories of when they were still together...

He sighed once again as he remembered how the last time he saw her had been in that exact same place and it had been about five years ago, but he could still remember it as if it had been yesterday. It had been in that park that he told her he was leaving to China and was never coming back again. He loved Korea, but China was his home after all and he couldn't be away for too long. That was why he left. But he regretted leaving her... his Yookyung.

Sometimes he wished he could turn back time. If he could, maybe he wouldn't have left or maybe, he would have asked her to go with him. Anything, but letting her go. Sometimes his delusional mind played pranks on him and he could swear he could see her. Those were the times he had gone crazy... because only a miracle would made it possible to see her again.

There was no way to change what happened in the past. He had let go of her and now, five years later, he was back. He was back to finish what he left unfinished before he left. He was back to try to get her back, or at least just to be able to see her again... and even if he knew there was only little chance he could make it, he believed in miracles.

He clutched the little box closer to him and then continued his way. He walked through those familiars streets as he hoped with all his heart that she hadn't moved out. He still remembered her little, but comfortable house and he still remembered how to get there. It still amused him that he hadn't forgotten how to get there.

He felt as if his heart was about to come out from his chest the moment he arrived to the house. That house that used to be hers and that he hoped it still was. Nothing had changed in five years and he was impressed by that. The fences were still white, the garden still had the same flowers and the old tree was still there. A slight light of hope lit inside of him when he saw that everything was still the same.

His heart beated fastly and he took a deep breath, before his shaky index fingers reached the doorbell. The seconds he stood there waiting for someone to answer the door fell like an eternity for him. Meanwhile, he was mentally practising what he would say if she was indeed there and his heart wouldn't stop beating fastly.

His heart skipped a beat when the door opened slightly after what seemed an eternity but were actually only a few minutes. However, his heart dropped when he saw that the person that had opened the door was not Yookyung.

"Hi, how can I help you sir?" the guy in the door said with a cute a friendly smile. He had brown hair and a childish smile, but he was indeed very handsome. His cheeks somehow reminded him of Yookyung, because they were pinchable and chubby. 

Zitao suddenly snapped out of his thoughts when he realized the guy was still waiting for an answer. When he came back to reality, he figured that maybe Yookyung had moved out and felt disappointed that he was not able to see her.

"Honey, who was it?" a way too familiar voice said and his heart skipped a beat when girl suddenly appeared in the door.

"Y-Yookyung" he stuttered her name with his eyes widened as he realized that the girl in front of him was indeed her. She looked his way shocked and her eyes widened as well when she saw him. She hadn't changed much since the last time he saw her. She was still as beautiful as he remembered she was, or even more, if that was even possible. 

"Z-Zitao?" she asked, too shocked to see him. Unlike her, he had changed a lot. He had definitely lost weight and he was maybe even taller. His dark hair that was always perfectly combed, was now blonde and messy.

"Do you guys know each other?" the guy said with curiosity, interrupting their thoughts. Yookyung then turned to him and smiled, but the initial shock could still be seen in her face.

"Yes" she said "He is and old friend of mine, Huang Zitao"

Somehow the word 'friend' pierced his heart. It hurt and he could also see the pain in her eyes. They still couldn't believe they were in front of each other. 

"Zitao, this is my husband, Kim Minseok" she said and he felt his world tumbling down suddenly. He felt as if his heart had stopped beating suddenly and as if he could no longer breath properly. The word 'husband' buzzed in his head like bees and he couldn't stop them. His heart ached at the realization that his Yookyung was now married.

"Nice too meet you Zitao ssi" Minseok said with a gentle smile and he forced a smile as he held back the tears.

"Nice too meet you too Minseok ssi" he said 

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" he asked and Zitao couldn't believe how nice this guy was. Somehow, that made him feel slightly relieved because she had found a nice guy. His eyes then met Yookyung's and he could see she was upset and confused.

"No, it's okay" he said as he smiled once again "I just came by to say hi and wish you merry christmas"

Minseok smiled.

"I'll leave you two so that you can catch up for a while, I'll go and see if Minkyung is ready for dinner" he said the last part to Yookyung and she nodded as she smiled towards him. He then gave her a peck on the lips and Zitao saw him walking upstairs and disappearing from his view. Yookyung then turned to Zitao and walked out, closing the door behind her. She looked at him and let out a sigh.

"He is a nice guy" he said and Yookyung smiled. 

"Yeah, he is the best" she said and Zitao could tell she truly meant it.

​"Why did you come back?" she suddenly asked. Zitao looked at her and sighed.

"To see you again... and to say sorry" he simply said and she nodded

"Well... it's been a long time and we have both moved on, so I forgive you" she said and smiled sincerely. Zitao wished he could say that he hadn't moved on and that he still loved her, but that was unfair for her. Because he left her for five years and now she had a life with a great guy and he just couldn't come and expect her to still have feelings for him. So he simply smiled.

"Do you love him?" he suddenly and she smiled 

"With all my heart" she replied "I never thought I could love someone the way I loved you, but he came and picked up the pieces"

"I'm glad to hear that" he said and smiled sincerely. He was truly glad someone had picked up the pieces of her broken heart and that she was now happy again. He regretted so much leaving. If he hadn't left maybe he would be the guy behind the door. Maybe he would be her husband and they could be together.

"Merry Christmas Yookyung ah" he said

"Merry Christmas Zitao" she said with a smile. He then gave her one last hug and wished he would never let go, but he then remembered she had a family waiting for him behind that door. After they pulled apart, she waved at him and walked inside her house.

When she was out of sight, he finally let the tears fall. He watched from the outside of the window how Minseok carried a little girl of no more than 2 years, downstairs and how Yookyung went towards them with a huge smile on her face and planted a kiss on Minseok's lips and then on their daughter's forehead. She was indeed very happy, he could tell, and he was happy for her.

He finally walked away and didn't look back. Maybe that was the closure he needed. Maybe that had been the miracle...at least he was able to see her once last time and say goodbye to her. At least, she was happy now.