{kaiyoung/taoyoung} Long Distance

ExoPink Oneshot Collection

Title: Long Distance

Characters: Kim Jongin (Kai), Oh Hayoung and Huang Zitao

Pairing(s): Kai x Hayoung (main), Tao x Hayoung (main)

Genre: Romace/ Slight Angst


"Hayoung, are you listening to me?" Jongin asked his best friend as they walked down the streets. He was talking to her, but she didn't seem to be listening because she was to focused on her cellphone, texting someone. She had huge grin on her face and she giggled from time to time.

"Oh Hayoung, I'm talking to you!" Jongin said, calling her attention once again. This time, Hayoung finally snapped out of her thoughts and looked at Jongin confused.

"What? Did you say something?" she asked and he rolled his eyes, before sighing.

"Who are you texting?" he asked and once again, a huge grin appeared on her face.

"Zitao oppa" she said as she continued texting him. Jongin looked at her once again and sighed.

"Isn't he supposed to be on a plane right now?" he asked

"He said he'll be in the aiport in a few hours" she said defensively "The important thing is that he'll be here tonight"

Huang Zitao, Hayoung's current boyfriend, was a guy she met when she went to China to study for a semester. They became good friends and then started hanging out after a while. However, Hayoung had to come back to Korea so they agreed to continued their relationship even if they were thousands miles apart.

Jongin wasn't ok with their long distance relationship because he didn't believe it would work. However, Hayoung too stubborn to listen to Jongin everytime he brought the topic, so at the end, he decided to let her be.

"Well, I hope so" Jongin said

"Come on Jongin oppa... don't ruin the mood" she said with a pouty face. "Remember that today is my birthday"

Jongin chuckled and then smiled, making her smile as well. She always had that effect on him. Hayoung was the most important person to Jongin and if it made her happy to be with Zitao, even if they had a long distance relationship, he would be happy for her too.That was why he decided to shake his thoughts away. He put his arm around her shoulder as they continued walking down the streets to finish buying the things they needed for the party.

As they continued walking, something caught Jongin's attention suddenly. She was distracted because she was still texting Zitao, so she didn't notice that Jongin's eyes were in that store.

"Hey Hayoung, why don't you go ahead? I saw something interesting over there" he said and she looked at him confused.

"What is it? Did you find something interesting for your girlfriend?" she asked teasingly and he rolled his eyes

"You know I don't have a gilfriend" he said and she laughed

"Fine, I'll see in you the coffee shop in 15 minutes then" she said and he smiled

****

Hayoung shook her feet impatiently as she started at the clock for the nth time that night. It was almost 8 pm and she still hadn't heard from Zitao. People walked in and greeted her, giving her birthday presents and she smiled at them even if her mind was not there. 

Her house was perfectly decorated for the night and she was wearing a beautiful black dress that made her look stunning. The only thing that was missing to make her night perfect, was her boyfriend, who still hadn't arrived.

"Relax a bit, he'll be here soon you'll see" she felt his hand on her shoulder and then turned to look at him. He smiled towards her reassuringly and she smiled. Jongin's words had managed to calm her down a little. He could always make her feel better by just being there next to her. She didn't know what she would do if she didn't have him.

"Hayoungie! Happy birthday!" Son Naeun, a good friend of her, greeted her as she hugged her tightly. 

"Naeun unnie! I'm so glad you could make it!" she said happily. Behind her, there was a blonde, holding a big box in his hands. Hayoung smiled when she saw her brother.

"Sehunnie!" Jongin happily greeted his friend as he shook his hand

"Happy birthday sis" Sehun said as he handed her the big present, before giving her a bear hug. He then wrapped his arm around his girlfriend, Naeun, after he pulled away from the hug. "This is from Naeun and me"

"Thanks" she said and smiled towards them "And enjoy the party"

The couple walked ahead and Hayoung and Jongin still stood there, greeting the rest of the guests that came. She was still waiting for Zitao to arrive, but as more guests arrived, she didn't have much to think about it. The rest of her friends arrived and greeted her, before walking in and joining the party.

Hayoung sighed once again, when her phone suddenly started ringing, which made her jump surprised. She could feel her heart beating anxiously as she took her phone out of her purse and saw Zitao's name on the screen.

"Hi oppa" she said with a smile plastered on her face "Did you already arrive?"

"Actually... that's why I was calling you" he said on the other line, before sighing "I won't be able to make it"

"What?" she asked surprised. Jongin watched as Hayoung suddenly started walking away, still holding her phone and talking to Zitao. Her expression had suddenly changed and from afar he could see her eyes glittering, meaning she was about to cry. He frowned and wondered what was going on.

"But you promised you would come" she said, feeling disappointed. He sighed over the phone once again and she felt her heart breaking slightly. They had planned his arrival for months and she was really looking forwards to seeing him on her birthday and now he was telling her over the phone that he couldn't make it.

"I know I did and I'm sorry" he said "But I cannot do this anymore"

"What do you mean?" she asked as tears started forming in her eyes, afraid of what was coming next. She heard him sigh again.

"Our long distance relationship is killing me, Hayoung" Zitao said and her eyes widened slightly "I love you and I cannot stand seeing you only for a few days and then having to leave you for months. I cannot take it"

Hayoung closed her eyes tightly and tried to surpress the tears. She couldn't believe he was telling her that over the phone.

"If you loved me, you wouldn't do this to me" she said hurt

"I'm sorry Hayoung... just forget about me" he said in a low voice "And happy birthday"

With that, he hung up the phone, leaving her speechless. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she threw her phone somewhere and started running away. It hurt more than she thought. How could he do that to her? He had broken up with her on her birthday and he had totally ruined her night. 

She didn't know where she was heading to, but she just couldn't stop running and crying.

****

Jongin stared at the clock and started to get worried. Hayoung had disappeared a few hours ago when Zitao called her and she was still not there. He looked around the house and saw everyone, but her. 

"Jongin" he suddenly heard a voice and turned around. He smiled when he saw it was Chorong. "Where's Hayoungie, I haven't seen her the whole night"

"Yeah and It's almost midnight" Joonmyun, who was there with Chorong, said worried.

"Last time I saw her, she was on the phone with her boyfriend" Jongin said worried "Apparently he couldn't make it"

"I'm going to continue looking for her" he said and then continued walking around the house, looking for Hayoung. He had searched everywhere, when he suddenly realized there was place he still hadn't checked. He mentally scolded himself for being so stupid and walked upstairs. 

As he walked towards her room, he could hear someone sobbing and his eyes widened. Was that Hayoung crying? He then inmediately rushed towards the door of her room and  could hear the sobs clearly.

"Hayoung, are you there?" he asked as he knocked on the door slightly. There was no reply, only more sobs. Jongin took a deep breath, before turning the door knob. The door was not locked, so it opened inmediately. The room was dark, only iluminated by the moonlight, because she hadn't bothered to turn on the lights when she had walked in.

When his eyes had ajusted to the darkness, he saw his best friend sitting on her bed with her face burried on her hands, crying. It broke his heart to see her like that and he walked towards her, before sitting down next to her.

"Today it's your birthday" he said softly as he caressed her hair "You shouldn't be crying"

"Y-You were right Jongin oppa" she said between sobs "This long distance relationship was never going to work"

"Shh" he said as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug. Hayoung laid her head on his chest and continued crying. She had never wanted to admit that Jongin was maybe right about the whole thing. She wanted to believe that she would make things work even if they were apart, but she had been wrong. "I sometimes hate to be right"

Hayoung didn't say anything and just hugged him tightly. Jongin hated to be right when it came to things like that. He'd rather be wrong and have Hayoung being happy with Zitao, than being right and having Hayoung suffering over a guy that didn't deserve her.

"Hey, I don't know if this is the right time to give you this... but I hope it would cheer you up" he said as he pulled away. Hayoung wiped the tears from her and watched with curiosity as he walked out of the room for a while and then came in with his hands behind his back. He was smiling and she was really curious to know what it was.

"Happy birthday Hayoungie" he said with a smile as he revealed his present. It was cute white teddy bear that was holding a red rose. Hayoung suddenly smiled when she saw it and felt really touched. He then handed her it to her and she felt a lot better. "I don't if it's too childish... but I thought you'd like it"

"It's perfect" she said as wiped the remaining tears from her eyes, before smiling sincerely towards "Thank you Jongin, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have you"

"It's me who doesn't know what would do without you" he said with a smile as he pulled her into a tight embrace once again. For a while, she forgot the pain. Jongin always had that effect on her. He could make the pain go away.