Romantic Boyfriend

Love is beautiful ... but also complicated.

 

I entered in the hospital and made my way to the aisle where Taemin’s room was. I saw a figure sat on the chairs. As I walked closer I started to recognize the person. I took a deep breath and sat a chair next to the person. On the one that was separating us, I put my bag.

It was all quiet. Silence and awkwardness was all we felt. “How’re things going?”, Onew asked casually. “Good. And yours?”, I answered without making eye contact. “Also good.”. No one spoke. Silence returned faster than I thought. Not to make it anymore awkward I spoke, “Is Taemin sleeping?”, I looked at Onew. He nodded. I sighed. Now, Taemin’s days are always sleeping at any moment, since he doesn’t have worries now, he has plenty of time to sleep.

A nurse that was approaching us, entered in Taemin’s room. After some time she came out and told us we could visit him. I turned to Onew, “Go, you came here first.”, I politely said, “No, you go. I talked to him already.”, he gestured me to enter. I turned around and went inside the room.

“Hello sleepy head.”, I gave him a cute smile and walked to his side. He smiled back, stretched his arm and opened his hand. I quickly grabbed it and our fingers intertwined. He was warm. It was comforting. I felt happy in that moment and I couldn’t wait for him to get discharged. I’ve been waiting too much. I wanted to take walks with him, I wanted to have lunch after practice with him, I wanted to go to the amusement park, although it wasn’t much my thing, but still, I wanted. I wanted to do so many things with him that I just couldn’t wait anymore. I was too excited.

“So, you forgot your phone at home?”, he asked, I nodded, “Yeah. Thanks to my clock, I arrived sooner than I should have and forgot my phone at home.”, I sighed, “How clumsy.”, he sweetly looked at me. “I’m not clumsy! I rarely get late for practice or forget things at home.”, I protested. “I know, I know. I was just messing with you.”, he chuckled. I rolled my eyes and smiled. It was something I have been doing a lot lately … smiling. Maybe thanks to Taemin, there was a smile on my face all the time, even though he wasn’t with me. “I like when you smile.”, with the other hand he caressed my cheek. “Please don’t take that smile away because you’re even prettier when you have it.”, he complimented me. Oh my god, he was so romantic. Was it possible that I had such a romantic boyfriend? I liked it. I really did.

“I won’t. Don’t worry. As long as you’re next to me, there will be always a smile on my face.”, I assured him. He grinned. “I can’t wait to get out of here.”, he sighed. I understood him. It should be so boring to be laid down all day in a bed without going to the kitchen when we wanted, without any entertainment. “You’ll see. In a blink of an eye you’re already practicing at SM studio.”, I giggled. “I hope you’re right.”, “Of course I am. I’m Park Hyunji. I don’t do mistakes.”, I joked and he laughed at me, “You’re Park Hyunji, my sweet, caring, beautiful, dancing machine girlfriend.”, we both laughed. “Who would say you were this sweet? I never thought you were that romantic.”, I teased. “Pfff, please. I’m the sweetest person you’ll ever know.”, he praised himself, making me giggle at his action.

“Today was my first day with the other trainees.”, I told him, “Really? How did it go?”, he asked. “It went really well, I guess. The girls are really nice, pretty and they all know how to dance. There isn’t one who lacks at it. You need to meet them.”, I said. “I’m glad it went well.”

In that moment a tall man, with grey hair, glasses, wearing white came in with some papers in his hands. “Hello Taemin. How are you feeling today?”, he asked as he quickly glanced at our hands. “Very good actually.”, Taemin said as he looked at me. “It seems like it.”, he grinned. The doctor checked the machines and Taemin’s medical status and spoke, “It seems that everything is fine. I guess you’ll get discharged soon.”, he announced us. “Really?”, I asked still not believing it. “Yes.”, the doctor answered. “Finally! I’m getting numb by being laid down all day.”, Taemin expressed his desire to get out of the hospital, we laughed. “Okay, I’ll come back later to tell you when you’ll get discharged.”, the doctor said and left.

“I’m so happy!”, I was so relieved that he would finally leave that place. “I’ll tell Onew the news. He must know. He’s the leader and your friend after all.”, I remembered that he was still outside. Taemin softened and spoke, “Okay.”, “I’ll be right back.”, I threw a kiss at him and he pretended to have caught it and out it in his heart. I chuckled and left the room.

“Ahem.”, I cleared my throat, so I could get Onew’s attention. He looked up and I spoke, “Taemin’s going to be discharged soon.”, I gave him a forced smile. It was awkward. We weren’t close anymore. Even if I wanted to be closer, my heart just wouldn’t let me. It was broken once, and I didn’t want it to be broken twice, besides, my heart already belonged to someone else. It felt like we were strangers, who had only spoken once before. What love can do …

With the excitement he had after hearing the news, Onew got up and hugged me. Suddenly I felt arms encircling me in a hug. After he realized what he was doing, he quickly released me and apologized. “I-I’m so sorry. I didn’t meant to …”, “It’s okay.”. That was when I realized how much Onew liked s. He seemed as relieved as I was when I first heard that Taemin would finally leave the hospital.

“Well, if you excuse me, I’m going in. I’ll leave in some minutes, so you can talk to him.”, I said and came inside the room again.

“Onew’s very happy to hear the news.”, I told Taemin. “So am I.”, he sighed. I chuckled. “I should go. Onew wants to see you. I’ll come tomorrow.”, I grabbed my bag. “No, stay a little more, please.”, he pleaded. “I must be good to others. Onew has been waiting for a long time outside. I’ll come tomorrow if you haven’t been discharged yet, okay?”, I looked at him. He sighed and gave in, “Okay, okay. Call me when you get home.”, he demanded with that sweet smile of his. “Okay. Bye bye.”, I waved, “Hey, and my goodbye kiss?”, he asked. I came next to him and gave him a quick peck on the lips. “See you tomorrow, sleepy head.”, I , “That’s not even a kiss! I want a better one next time!”, he teased back. I laughed and got out of the room.

I stopped in front of the door waiting for Onew to look at me. He looked and I spoke, “You can go now. I’m going home. Bye.”, I waved. “Wait!”, he called. I stopped and turned back. “I hope you can forgive me someday.”, he said. I gave a short nod and walked down the aisle.