Oppas.

Love is beautiful ... but also complicated.

 

After walking some minutes, we arrived at a café. We choose a table and the waitress came and handed us the menus.

We pondered for a quite time and then we finally ordered.

While we were waiting for the orders to come we started a nice conversation. “So, you got late at home, huh?”, I asked Key, that it was sitting next to me, “It’s was like 4am? I can’t really remember.”, he touched his chin as he was trying to remember what time he had arrived home the night before. I chuckled and Key spoke, “So why did you leave yesterday? You were there and suddenly you and Taemin disappear. What happened?”, Key tried not to seem like he was thinking something had happened between Taemin and I, which it didn’t. “I felt unwell during the party and Taemin offered to take me home but …”, I looked at Taemin who was with his head lowered while playing with a random object. Key also turned to him, in hope he would add something more to my speech. He felt us gazing at him and lifted his head, “What?”, he was completely on the moon, “Are you still sleeping? We were talking with you.”, Key snapped, “Oh, I’m sorry. I was just … thinking.”, he said, “Thinking in what?”, I questioned him taking the matter to the bottom.

He felt uncomfortable at being addressed that way, he swallowed and then replied, “Oh nothing, just stuff.”, he lied. *I was thinking of how things could be with you if everything was different.*, he thought.

We eyed him suspiciously, not fully believing in him.

In that moment, the waitress appeared with a tray, which had our breakfast. She took the orders one by one placing them at the table and after finishing she wished a happy meal and went back to her work.

We had an enjoyable meal, while talking and eating delicious food. After it, we paid, I mean, Key insisted on paying and we left.

“So what do you want to do now?”, Key asked as we were exiting the café. “I should be going home, my mom’s probably really worried about me.”, I pouted, “Well, your mom can wait. Let’s take a walk.”, Key hooked his arm on mine and started walking, making me walking along with him also. Taemin shook his head at the silly Key and followed us.

We went in the Han river direction. We crossed a park full of green and nice smells. We laughed and played with each other.

We arrived at margin, and appreciated the view. “Woaaaaa, it’s so beautiful. Do you believe that I had never seen it?”, I was amazed by its beauty, “Really? You had never seen it? Are you serious? It’s much better at night. If you’re that amazed, at night you’ll be much more.”, Key complimented the Han rivers spectacular view.

Taemin was quiet and didn’t take as usual.

I approached him and spoke calmly. “What’s wrong?”, he looked at me and with a soft smile answered, “I was just thinking … How things would be different if you hadn’t dated Onew.”, he sincerely spoke, I was caught by guard with his affirmation, “Why are you thinking about that? Probably they would be much different, I don’t know. You know what’s the most funny of it? Is that I don’t regret anything.”, we were speaking honestly.

There was care and sweet in his eyes. I could see it. It was somehow, like in the movies, when the girl and the boy stare intensively to each other’s eyes and stay like that for a couple of seconds that seem an eternity.

Key without intension appeared breaking the moment. “Let’s go?”, he asked unaware of what was going on there. Taemin and I broke the eye contact and pretended that nothing had happened. “Yeah.”, I nodded at Key.

We left and went to the dorm again.

“Do you want me to take you home?”, Taemin asked as we were entering the dorm. “No need, I’ll take a cab.”, I smiled and continued walking.

Key introduced the code and opened the door.

When we entered, three pairs of eyes looked at us. We looked back at Jonghyun’s, Minho’s and Onew’s blank expressions.

“Where did you go? I was about to phone you.”, Jonghyun pulled out his paternal side, “Don’t worry, we just went to have breakfast.”, Key explained, “Well, why didn’t you wake us up? We could have gone with you!”, Jonghyun looked somehow hurt for not being invited for the walk. “You were sleeping like an angel, we didn’t want to disturb your sleep, since you got late at home yesterday, so you were probably tired and sleepy.”, I tried to calm him down and save Key from their ‘couple quarrel’. Jonghyun softened a bit, “Thank you Hyunji. You are really carrying. Why would a man want to switch you for another girl?”, he purposely spoke and looked at Onew, to see if he had any reaction to his provocative phrase. Onew just avoided Jonghyun’s eye contact and lowered his head.

“Waa, thank you Jonghyun.”, I shyly thanked him.

“Why don’t you call us oppas? We know each other for quite a while now. You don’t need to call us by our names from now on, okay?”, Minho suddenly spoke.

I hesitated a bit but then nodded “It’s going to be hard to get used to it, but I’ll try my best.”. Taemin was the happier when he heard it, he would have me calling him oppa. It was something that he wished I would do since we met, but he had never really asked me, because he thought it didn’t matter. Now that he would have finally, the opportunity to hear it from my mouth, he was happy.

“Well, I should go now. My mom is probably getting all crazy for not having me at home and Jihae also.”, I said, “Appear whenever you want. We like being around with you.”, Key said also pulling his maternal side. “Thank you for taking care of me.”, pink started growing on my cheeks, “Waaa, you’re like a little sister to us. Of course we would care about you. Do you want any of us to take you home?”, Jonghyun asked, “No, it’s okay. I’ll take a cab, you guys have done enough for me.”, I approached Jonghyun and hugged him. The next one was Minho, then Key and Taemin.

It was Onew time. I was facing him, not wanting to be rude in front of the others but I was unable to hug him. I just simply couldn’t do it. I stretched my arm and held out my hand. He looked at me with a sad, hopeless and apologizing look, and took my hand. We shook hands and I quickly released my hand from his.

The others that were watching the scene felt sorry for Onew but they also understood my actions. I waved at them and left the dorm.

I was walking in the sidewalk when someone shouted my name. “Hyunji, wait!”, I looked back at the person and saw Taemin running slowly in my direction. “It’s dangerous to be alone in the streets. It’s even more dangerous when it’s a girl.”, Taemin looked at me, “Taemin, it’s 11am. It’s day not night. And I can defend myself.”, I frowned. “Haha, oh really? Would you be able to defend yourself if the killer did this to you?”, Taemin suddenly started tickling me, it was already the second time, “The killer … would not … do that.”, I said between giggles.

Taemin stopped and I quickly poked his arm, “Yah! Do you want to be killed? It’s already the second time you tickle me today. It’s not fare!”, I snapped. 

Taemin laughed and called a taxi. The taxi came and I waved at Taemin. He softened looked at me and gently smiled.

The taxi drove off and took me home.