2.3

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 3: The Ugly Duckling

“Every fairy tale had a bloody lining. Every one had teeth and claws.”
 - Alice Hoffman

 

In a quiet abandoned high school hallway three guys surrounded Bum Sang, troublemakers who would always bully him, push him around and extort money from him. He pressed his back against the strong wall hugging his books closer to his chest and lowered his face, trying to hide his fear. It would hurt again like it had hurt countless times before and there was no getting used to that disgusting pain. He couldn't understand why him? Just because he was chubby and wore glasses he had to endure something like this. Why? They pushed him around, they poked him, they kicked him, they slapped him, they laughed when he whimpered. Yes that evil laughter ringing in his ears hours after the bullying session would end. The laughter that gave him nightmares and made him fear even the thought of going to school. However, soon, everything would be better.

“I heard this fatty likes Dara.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“He even dares to talk to her.”

“On last white day he gave her chocolates.”

“Che, look at him. Such an innocent looking little fatty can have such thoughts.”

“What makes you believe you have any chances? Huh?”

“Besides, you are late with the weekly payment.”

“You can only blame yourself for this.”

“Exactly, if you paid on time there wouldn't be any problems.”

Suddenly a fresh husky voice interrupted the bullies. “Excuse me, I need to talk to him.” Everyone turned to look at Jiyong who was standing a few feet away looking as perfect as ever with his ironed uniform buttoned all the way up, his shoes polished, his hair combed to the side and his glasses glinting in the setting sun. He was a few years too early with the hipster fashion, what a pity though. A short silence fell over and only fluttering of the curtains in the wind filled the emptiness caused by everyone's surprise.

“Student council president...” one of the bullies finally said.

“Can't you see we are busy?” another hissed.

“I am busy too” Jiyong eyed everyone coldly and cleared his throat. “I know that few of you can't afford being expelled anymore...”

“Are you?”

“Ani...”

“Anyhow, I need to talk to him now so if you will excuse us.” Jiyong glanced at Bum Sang who was the only one who didn't seem to know what was going on. No one moved or said anything and Jiyong grew irritated. “Aren't you coming?” His voice tensed a bit.

“M-m-me?” Bum Sang asked stupidly, pointing at himself.

“Who else?” One of the bullies slapped the back of Bum Sang's head.

“What a retard.”

“Geez.”

“You are saved for now but we will get you next time. For sure.”

“You just wait and see.”

Bum Sang gulped when one of the boys pressed his index finger to his forehead and pressed hard. “Remember, you owe us money.” They snickered among themselves and walked away, talking about something in loud voices. Jiyong breathed out, massaged his temples, and then glanced at Bum Sang from under his furrowed brows.

“Seriously, do you know how nervous I just was?” he finally breathed out. “How can you be so slow?”

“M-m-m-me?” Bum Sang gaped at Jiyong.

“Aish” Jiyong hissed, kicking air. For a flash second he had lost control over the role he was supposed to play in school. He even loosened his tie a bit. “I thought my heart would jump out from my mouth, it was beating so hard” he mumbled.

“Student council president...” Bum Sand whispered.

“Anyhow” Jiyong cleared his throat, gaining his composure again. “You better tell about this to the teachers or something.”

Bum Sang smiled bittersweetly at his words. “No” he shook his head. “The bullying would just get worse.” 

“It's up to you then. I need to go.”

“Wait!”

Jiyong stopped and looked over his shoulder.

“Thank you very much for helping me out just now. No one has ev-”

“Just this once, I am not interested in getting involved in this.”

“I won't cause any more trouble for you, I promise.”

“Just take care of yourself first. Well then, bye.”

 

And so Bum Sang was left alone in the empty hallway, staring at Jiyong's back he thought the guy was actually better than he seemed at the first sight. His reputation was good but he was rumored to be extremely cold and indifferent towards everyone, especially girls. Even heartless. He was a ruthless perfectionist who would get angry every time when things didn't go like planned, however he never screamed or anything, he kept it all inside and glared at people in a frightening manner.

 

His tongue was poisonous and he knew how to slash people's souls with words, still no one was able to hate him because he was very reasonable and never hurt anyone without a good reason. Jiyong was also very very quiet person who didn't like to speak, he was mostly seen alone, reading a book or listening to his mp3 player but still managing to look somehow hot and y. He was super mysterious and smart so girls kind of liked but at the same feared him. There were rumors that in junior high he used to be different, a lot warmer and friendlier. No one knew what happened to make him cold like this. At times, not even him, himself. The older he grew the deeper the wound in his heart sunk. The more lonely he grew inside, the more he learned to hate himself.

 

The only one who wasn't intimidated by Jiyong was Dara and she often managed to make him smile too. Some rumors said they were secretly dating, some said they were actually a brother and a sister. Everyone knew they lived together but weren't related still, that counted as family for many and any other relationship would be unacceptable. Wishful reasoning of jealous girls? Mostly the girls cared about this gossip because they were all in love with Jiyong (he even had his own fan club) but if anyone dared to confess Dara would always have a “special talk” with that girl and she would never dare to even look at Jiyong again. There was also a rumor that he was engaged to an older woman or that he was gay dating an older guy. When one rumor died another was born, it was a never ending cycle but Jiyong himself didn't seem to care about anything. Only Dara cared more than necessary.

 

“Let's have a break” Dara yelled happily after shooting a hoop. She was practicing basketball with her high school team at the courts behind the main building, more deserted are where not many people came. It was cozy and quiet there, and less distractions like hot shirtless guys playing football. The girls agreed, some 'high fiving' each other. A lively chatting begun as they gathered together on the lawn to sit, gossip and drink.

“It's too hot today.”

“I'm soooo thirsty.”

“I'm tired.”

“Where is the manager?”

“Hey did you see the new music video of Big Bang?”

“Top was so hot!”

“Kyaaa, JiYong's new hair looked so good!”

“Hey, what time is it?”

Dara turned to look over her shoulder, holding one basketball under her armpit, she squinted her eyes to see the huge clock on the wall of school building. Suddenly her eyes fell on a small group of people, they had surrounded one guy and were pushing him around until he fell on the ground and then they started kicking him.

“What's that?” she asked in surprise.

“Oh, I think they are bullying someone” Chae Rin, her friend commented. “Better to stay out of it, guys can get scary sometimes.”

“Bullying?” Dara frowned. “Four against one? That's pretty unfair” she announced. “I'm going to go see what's it about.”

“Wait! Are you crazy?!” Chae Rin followed her. “Don't go” she grabbed Dara's wrist.

“You think they will hit a girl?”

“Who knows, those are the troublemakers of this school.”

“Anyway, it's unfair. Hey, isn't it Bum Sang!” she suddenly gasped.

“Is it?” Chae Rin gasped.

“He bakes the best cakes, imagine if something happens to his hands.”

“Nooo!”

“And he wouldn't be able t

Please log in to read the full chapter