7.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

I played with the strings on my hoodie as I sat at the bench in the park. Taeyang left somewhere and he was gone for ten minutes already. I finally shifted my gaze off the ground and looked around. The place I was at, was located at the far end of the park and hardly anyone ever came here. I heard birds sing and leaves shuffle in the wind.

Letting out a long sigh I leaned back in my seat and took a deep breathe. This place calmed me down, it was such a comfortable place.

"Dara" Taeyang appeared in front of me. I opened my eyes to see him holding a white rose.

"Here, he handed it to me. I thought maybe you need something like this" he smiled bittersweetly.

"Th-thanks" I said, dumbfounded "But why are you giving this to me?"

"Don't you know what white rose means?"

"No" I lowered my eyes in embarrassment.

"Happy love" Taeyang said with a smile on his lips as he sat next to me "Now that you have it you can achieve a happy love."

"Are you confessing?" I asked bluntly.

"What?" his eyes widened "No" he said looking really awkward "Didn't you just get into a fight with your-"

"He is my brother" I mumbled. But anyway, how sweet of Taeyang.

"Oh..." he said sounding very hesitant "How awkward indeed" he muttered looking away from me.

"But thanks. I'll accept this" I grinned, bringing the flower closer to my nose. "Smells good."

"I swear, I'm so stupid" Taeyang mumbled ruffling his hair.

"What do you mean?" I glanced at him from the corners of my eyes.

"Two chances gone down the toilet" he whispered desperately, looking up at the sky.

Hearing his words my eyebrows raised. Did he mean that he actually planned to confess? Blush covered m cheeks and I looked away from him. Darn, sometimes Taeyang was so cute. And I suddenly felt so much better. What an silly idiot indeed.

"Anyway" he turned to look at me. "You must be hungry."

I noticed a plastic bag in his lap. He took out a few packages of kimbab and orange juice that I liked.

"I was actually dying from hunger" I my lips.

"Here you go" Taeyang handed me the kimbab and he even opened the juice bottle for me. "Eat slowly."

"Aren’t you eating?" I glanced at him.

"I can eat later. Besides, didn't you say you needed to go somewhere?"

"Oh yeah..." I sighed. Yeah, I'd have to go to Paradise Kiss today. But do I really have to go?

"Look" Taeyang suddenly pulled my sleeve. I looked at him and saw him point somewhere up. My gaze followed his finger and soon a smile spread on my lips.

"Kyaaa, so cute" I squealed almost dropping the kimbab. There was a nest of squirrel family.

"If you give them some food, they will come down" Taeyang took out a package of cookies and threw some crumbles on the ground. In no time small squirrels were crowding around them.

"Oh my goodness" I grabbed a cookie and squatted down. One of the cute, furry little things came to actually eat from my hand.

"Look, look" I squealed at Taeyang who just chuckled. His eyes lit up when he looked at me.

"I knew you'd like this" he smiled. "Here" he handed me another cookie.

"Thank you so much" I said feeling touched "You always manage to cheer me up." I gave him a bright smile.

"But be careful. Did you know that squirrels spread more diseases than rats?"

"Yah! Squirrels are innocent" I pretended to be angry.

"I guess it's okay as long as you wash your hands" Taeyang shrugged taking a sip from his strawberry milk. He looked so cute. Maybe cuter than the squirrels.

"Dara" Taeyang suddenly sounded very serious.

"Yes?" I asked not taking my eyes off the cute little squirrels.

"There is something I want to tell you but is it okay to wait a little?"

"What?" I glanced at him "Something bad?"

"No" he smiled mysteriously.

"Why can't you tell now?"

"I want to save it for a better day."


My and Taeyang's firs meeting wasn't that usual. One year ago, on my parent's death anniversary, I got really sad for some reason. I mean, obvious reasons. I missed appa and Jiyong was still gone. My friends cheered me up but there are those moments when you go to bed and just can't fall asleep.

You start feeling sad and miserable and just want to cry but sometimes even if you cry the pain won't go away. I was sick of crying so I decided I wouldn't. I grabbed my jacket and went out.

Like always, when I need to get my mind blank, I sat at the road stall with my table full of soju bottles and random snacks.

"Would you please stop smoking already?" Someone slurred behind me.

"Who are you to tell me to stop smoking?" I glanced over my shoulder and saw this hot guy glare back at me. He suddenly grabbed my cigarette and flicked it away.

"Yah" I frowned. No matter how hot a guy, he doesn't have permission to tell me what to do.

"Watch if I will stop" I lighted another cigarette but he snatched it away, and so we went on until I had none left.

"You owe me a pack of cigarettes" I growled.

"Bulls.it" he mumbled. "Leave me alone" he turned his back at me.

"You are the one bothering me" I complained.

"Whatever" he gripped on his bottle and took a long sip.

I turned my back at him too but suddenly I wasn't feeling like staying quiet anymore.

"Why are you getting drunk alone?" I asked.

"I'm not in the mood to talk."

"No, really." I leaned my back against his back.

"What do you think you are doing?" he asked angrily.

"I'm sad..." I complained "Let's talk."

"I'm sad too and I don't want to talk to you."

"Why are you sad?" I asked as I took another sip from my drink.

"I told you, I don't want to talk about it."

"What's your name?"

"None of your business."

"My name is Dara. I'm sad because I'm lonely. My parents died and my brother disappeared somewhere." I pouted.

"I see" the guy's body suddenly stiffened "I'm sorry to hear." his voice softened.

I sighed "When will it stop hurting?"

"Never" he whispered "My best friend died..."

"No way" my eyes widened "I'm so sorry" I quickly turned to look at him and saw tears in his eyes.

"Yeah... I am sorry too. If only I could have helped him earlier" the guy sighed. "By the way, my name is Taeyang."

"It's a name of an angel" I chuckled.

"What do you mean?" he raised a brow.

I shrugged "I've always imagined that an angel's name would be Taeyang."

A faint smile appeared on his lips. "Wanna do something else?" he suddenly suggested.

"Let's go sing karaoke."

"I don't like singing..."

"But it's better than sitting here and sulking."

He gave it a thought and finally agreed.

We spent that evening singing, drinking and playing go stop. The next morning I woke up on the couch in karaoke room and Taeyang was sleeping on the floor. Go stop cards were scattered everywhere and when he finally woke up and raised his head one was stuck on his forehead.

I suggested we'd go eat some breakfast and he agreed. Immediately it clicked between us and we managed to cheer each other up even better than when we were drunk.

We spent days lazying in Taeyang's apartment watching box sets of all the saddest dramas out there. I bawled my eyes out but Taeyang kept criticizing every scene. He was totally bored and in the end his outrageous comments just made me laugh.

Taeyang is such a sweet guy but sometimes I wonder if he is too sweet...

 

Taeyang never asked me what was the previous fight about and I felt grateful. I didn't want to talk about it and only thinking about Jiyong made me angry. I decided I'd do something evil when I see him next time. Trip him over or something.. It would be childish but still, I was so angry now that the hurt slowly faded away.

Sometimes the hurt is so deep you get scars and on lonely nights you cry because you remember the pain. But the cycle never breaks, morning comes and sun shines, you smile, eat and live on.

How many scars are you planing to leave behind, Jiyong? Will they ever heal? And how many scars have I left in your heart?

After hanging around the park for a bit longer Taeyang took me home and promised he'd come over some other time, leaving me behind in a good mood.

“Hey, girl,” he called out as he backed the car out into the street.

“Hmm?” I smiled at him.

“Maybe some more Stairway to Heaven the next time,” he yelled, referring to our sad-drama nights.

I smiled and waved at him as he drove off.

Maybe that’s what it is.. When Jung-suh came back a different person after disappearing for years.

I closed the door and slumped against it as tears fell from my eyes again.

Jiyong.. When is my old Jiyong coming back?

Sporting blue ripped jeans, long red tee with letter imprints on the chest, a green hoodie with zipper in front and a cap, I stood in front of Paradise Kiss once more. I wasn't feeling like dressing up today but I knew I would get in without any problem, even though my clothes were anything but appropriate to even hang close to a club like this.

Blowing a bubble with my gum I pulled the hood over my head as I walked towards the entrance, past the long line.

I put a good song my ipod and walked through the crowd with determined expression on my face. Slipping my hands in the pockets of my pants I hummed by myself as I jogged up the steps and turned the corner. Suddenly I felt like someone was following me and glanced to my left.

"Ack!" I jumped back in shock when I saw Seung Hyun walk beside me. He was smirking by himself with his hands casually in the pockets of his pants. He was wearing a black slim fit suit and purple collar shirt, his jacket hanging casually over his shoulder. His vest was open and his tie loose, his hair messy. Huh? What happened to his perfect image? And he was even listening to music, one earphone hanging down and the other in his ear.

"You look happy" he reached out his hand and swept a few bangs off my eyes.

"Yah" I slapped his hand away "Why are you sneaking up on me?" Seriously, he had to stop appearing out of nowhere. What if he did that to some elder? The poor person would get a heart attack and die.

"Stop appearing out of nowhere" I growled, still startled.

"What are you talking about? I have been following you for a while already" Seung Hyun smiled. Was he a stalker or something? Why didn't he talk to me then?

"Whatever" I mumbled and watched him take out his haptic, to probably switch off the music. As sudden curiosity struck me, I grabbed that hanging earphone and brought it to my ear.

"What are you listening to?" I asked glancing at him.

"That-" he suddenly paused when he saw my expression.

WTF? F.T. Island? He was listening to a boy band? A grown man who owns the #1 club in whole Korea, including the North, was listening to F.T Island?! I stared at him in disbelief. He better have a good explanation.

"I like it" he smiled.

"Teenage boys singing to each other?" I raised a brow.
 
Seung Hyun chuckled "When I listen to these songs" he looked so serene as he spoke to me

"At least I can find out what women like nowadays."

My face turned sour "Are you planning to go after high school girls?"

"What are you listening to then?" he suddenly grabbed one earphone from my ear.

"Nothing" I slipped my hand in the pocket of my hoodie to turn off the ipod but I was too slow.

"Aha, Big Bang" he smirked devilishly. "Last time I checked they were gayer than F.T island."

"So what? GDxTOP forever" I mumbled.

"How about Seung Hyun and Dara forever?" he whispered in my ear, his voice getting dangerously seductive and I realized how close he actually was. Darn his wonderful cologne.

"Go away" the palm of my hand came in contact with his cheek and I pushed his face away. "ert."

I was talking with a grown man about boy bands? Could the situation get any more ridiculous?

"Wait, what do you mean still?" My suspicious eyes fell on him.

"Haven't you liked them like, since forever?"

"Do you like me that much you dug all info Jiyong knew about me?"

"Of course" His face lit up.

I looked at him dully, so very dully.

"So, what happened to cleaning?" he asked teasingly when I didn't answer anything to him.

"I changed my mind, I want to be your assistant" I said indifferently.

"You don't sound that excited. Besides, how often are you going to change the job? Can't you just decide on something and then just do it?"

"As soon as I find which job is the best suited for me."

"Do you think it's appropriate for my assistant to dress like that?" Seung Hyun looked at me from head to toes. Somehow he looked like he liked my outfit, despite his words.

"I am glad you choose me though" he winked.

"I am regretting already... Besides, what's wrong with these clothes? If you want to see y women go watch ."

"Why would I watch when with a snap of my fingers I can get as many y women as I want?" he said playfully.

"Whatever" I muttered. Self conceited jerk.

"Though, it is you I wanted to see all y and dressed up" he pouted.

I ignored his comment wishing he'd stop already.

Seung Hyun opened the door for me and we stepped into his dark office. My hand fumbled for the light switch and soon the lamps . I glanced at Seung Hyun and saw him blow a gum bubble.

My jaw dropped, I was so shocked the gum fell from my mouth. He slowly watched how it landed on my shirt and then his eyes found mine.

"What flavor?" I asked quickly.

"Strawberry."

My eyes widened even more, if that was possible.

"Is it that weird for me to chew a gum?" Seung Hyun asked sounding a little surprised. He picked the gum from my shirt and flicked it in the trash bin.

"That.was.just.in.my.mouth." I continued to stare at him in shock.

"And what? Will I die now?" Seung Hyun raised a brow.

"And why are you wearing your clothes so messily today?" I asked suspicion crawling in my mind. This guy... I was speechless. I though he was supposed to be cool!

Seung Hyun just shrugged and let out a small yawn "Anyway, I heard you got pretty drunk yesterday and Jiyong took you home. Did you two have a fun night?"

"We slept" I said dully.

Why did he have to mention Jiyong? I growled silently by myself as I remembered the fight we had earlier.

"Really? You are trying to say, nothing happened?" Seung Hyun walked to his desk, glanced over some papers and then sat on the edge of the desk. "Is that why he is so pissed off today?"

Why was this guy so concerned? And why was he chewing onto strawberry gum? Why? Did he secretly want to be a small girl?

"I'm not that kind of woman" I crossed my arms over my chest "Just tell me what I should do today for your Majesty.”

My voice came off more tired than I wanted. Seung Hyun raised a brow his eyes lingering on me awfully long. Maybe he noticed I had cried, my cheeks were still a little puffy.

"Fine. I want you to go through this" he finally grabbed a file and handed it to me. Our fingers accidentally brushed against each other and I quickly pulled my hand away.

"Whoa, what hot chemistry! That almost killed me" Seung Hyun joked.

"Yeah, I am about to melt from the passion I am feeling" I said sarcastically as I grabbed the file from his hand. I felt nothing but irritation.

"You seem to be in bad mood too. Does this have something to do with Jiyong?" Seung Hyun asked sounding a little tense.

Hmmm... suspicious. I prefer him flirting than talking about Jiyong. My good mood slowly started fading away. Curse the cycle of feelings.

"Let's not talk about it" I flashed a quick smile and glanced at the leather couch, thinking I should sit down "What do you want me to do with this?" I held the file in front of Seung Hyun's face. His piercing eyes stared at me as if trying to figure my thoughts out.

"Wanna date me? I won't make you mad" his face suddenly softened.

"Tsh" I scoffed "I know you are just another player" I poked his chest.

"You are right, dating isn't for me" Seung Hyun nodded "I get bored of the same body and face too fast" he suddenly grabbed my hand. "But how about we have passionate ?"

I don't know why I did it but I burst out in laughter. Something about this whole situation was too comical.

"I'm glad you are taking me seriously and all" Seung Hyun chuckled letting go of my wrist.

"Do you ever take yourself seriously?"

"Rarely" he smiled.

And he looked so satisfied that finally I wasn't getting mad at his comments. As if it had been his purpose all along, to make me immune to himself.

For a while we just looked at each other without a word and somehow his presence warmed my heart. Seung Hyun was a strange guy, surprisingly he made me feel safe and calm. As if everything would be just fine, everything will be fine.

Jiyong's face flashed trough my mind and I wanted to cry again. What was happening to him, to us? I suddenly wanted to go back to Taeyang and watch a drama together, forget about everything else while stuffing myself with chocolate ice cream.

"Are you okay?" Seung Hyun caressed my cheek, he looked worried. I shook my head lowering my eyes, embarrassed by the fact I couldn't control the tears. Aish, why did he have to mention Jiyong in the first place?

"Why are you crying all of a sudden? Dara?" he placed his hands on my shoulders and shook me gently.

"Sorry" I wiped my eyes "It's nothing much, I'm just tired."

He slightly furrowed his brows as he looked at me, thinking about something. I heard the door open behind me and he looked over my head, his grab suddenly tightening on my shoulders.

Then several surprising things happened at the same time. I heard something that sounded awfully like a gun clicking, my eyes widened in shock and I wanted to turn around to take a look but suddenly Seung Hyun pushed me and I ended up lying under him behind the couch.

He managed to slip his right hand under my head before the fall so I didn't get hurt. He hugged my head leaning his cheek against mine. My body stiffened in shock and fear when I heard bullets flying trough the air and hit random objects. If not his warmth and that calming scent, I would have fainted. But somehow, his presence kept me awake. Like I didn't want to miss a moment.

"Choi Seung Hyun" someone said in mocking voice. "Either you come out and die or then we come there and kill you both."

I held my breath not knowing what to think and felt my body tremble slightly. I wanted to panic but Seung Hyun didn't let me. When he was there, I couldn't help but feel safe.

"Are you sure you want me to come there?" Seung Hyun's voice was cold when he spoke, as if it wasn't is voice at all. Raising his head up he propped his body on his elbows and glanced at me without any signs of worry on his face, then brushing a strand of hair off my forehead. A sweet smile spread on his lips.

"Stay still" he whispered and with speed of light lifted his upper body on his hands then getting on his feet. I saw him bolt towards his desk while ducking down.

"You coward" someone spoke again and I heard steps come closer.

I grabbed my head covering my ears and closed my eyes feeling how panic was slowly getting a piece of me now when Seung Hyun was gone. Bullets hit the desk like rain, leaving small holes and imprints behind, sending up papers and breaking solid things into small pieces. Seung Hyun quickly opened his drawer and pulled out a handgun.

"You better stop there" he ordered, finally standing up from behind his desk, with a gun pointed at his enemy.

"I don't care if we kill each other. As long as you end up dead" that malicious voice spoke again. "There are three of us and only one of you."

"Wrong, there are two of us."

Seung Hyun stuck his hand in the drawer while speaking and took out a shiny object then tossing it at me, his gun and eyes never leaving his enemy. I was still lying on my back and propping my upper body on my elbows when a handgun landed on my stomach.

My eyes widened in shock, I didn't even know how to use it. I quickly sat up and grabbed it in my hands. Cold and heavy, so this is how it feels to hold a gun... I think I have never been this scared in my life before.

"Another one of your useless bit.ches" the man scoffed. "You have three seconds to say your last words before I fire."

"Do you think there are no other opinions than killing me?" Seung Hyun asked with playful smirk on his lips.

"No" the answer came fast.

"You are wrong." Seung Hyun walked around his desk and stopped in front of it "How about you ending up like Sil Jang?"

"You fcker." I heard guns click.

"Stop right there! If you fckers dare to fire that gun you are all dead!" I heart Jiyong yell and my heart leaped.

What if he gets killed? What if, what if the situation gets too bad? I looked at Seung Hyun's handsome side profile. He stood firmly in front of his desk, holding his gun with his both hands, his eyes turning into slits. And I couldn't recognize him. Just now, he was listening to F.T Island and chewing onto a strawberry gum, and now...

"Now, there are three of us" he smirked.

"You bastard."

"Not so fast" I heard a loud thud.

"One step closer and you are dead. You know I never miss" Seung Hyun threatened.

A gun was fired but it didn't hit anyone, Seung Hyun ducked.

"How many times have you tried to shoot me in the head? And how many times have you actually managed to do that?"

I swear. He was digging his own grave.

"And how many times have I tried to shoot someone in the head? Do you remember me failing even once? So how about going for my heart for a change?" he chuckled coldly. His words frightened me. Has he killed people? This was unexpected.

"Hyung, shut up or it will be me shooting you in your fcken stupid head!" Jiyong hissed. I trembled.

Even in a situation like this Seung Hyun was calm and collected, joking all he wanted. Wasn't he scared at all? A silence fell in the room, it was darn nerve wrecking.

"Well, well, well" Another voice piped in. It was too high pitched to belong to a man so I guessed it was Bom's. I mean, who else?

"Haven't you learned your lesson Bae?" Yes, this was Bom's voice. My respect towards her just grew several levels.

"You little... How dare you show your face in front of me?" Bae growled in anger. I heard loud thuds and smacks.

"Or is it the other way around?" Bom said coldly.

"So now it's six of us and only one of you" Seung Hyun lowered his gun.

I guess Bom brought some people, or maybe her bodyguards were there. But... All this time I wondered why didn't Seung Hyun shoot? I thought in the gangster world there is a rule: kill of be killed. These people were after his life but he didn't shoot when he had a chance. Why?

"So, tell me Bae" Seung Hyun chuckled "How's Sil Jang lately? How does he feel hiding his cowardly a.ss from me?"

"You will pay for what you did, fkcer" Bae spat the words from his mouth "You just wait."

"Bae" Bom said dully "Do you want to die today?" she sounded so calm and collected, like she was above everyone in the room, like she was untouchable. Who was she really? Maybe she is a leader of a gang? Could be. And besides, how do I even know that Bae and his men were the bad guys What if... I gulped as I glanced at Seung Hyun's wide back.

"Shut up you bit.ch."

"What did you just call her?"

Seung Hyun's calm face scrunched from anger and his eyes caught on flames. I stared at him, surprised by his sudden 180 degrees mood change. And he said he didn't care about Bom...

"Fcken bit.ch."

"You shi.tface" Seung Hyun threw his gun away and walked forward, disappeared from my view. I heard loud thuds and groaning.

"Hyung, you are going to kill him" Jiyong said dully. I could imagine his face.

"Apologize now" Seung Hyun growled.

"Oppa, it's okay" Bom sighed "He won't live long, anyway. Let him enjoy while he can." She sounded so heartless my blood froze.

"I said apologize before I kick your brain outta your head!" Seung Hyun yelled.

I gasped covering my mouth with my both hands. I never expected Seung Hyun to have this kind of crazy side to him. What kind of person was he? Was his player image just an act when in reality he was a cold blooded gangster?

"You are not apologizing?"

"Fine" Bae whispered with hoarse voice and coughed. "I'm sorry, OKAY?!"

"Doesn't sound like you are sorry, apologize to her."

Bae groaned and I heard another soft thud, probably Seung Hyun kicked him or something.

"I am sorry" this time he sounded believable.

"To whom?" Seung Hyun growled.

"Agasshi..." Bae whispered sounding like he was in pain.

"Better" an evil chuckle escaped Seung Hyun's lips.

"Can I take them away now?" Bom asked "K, L, you know what to do with them" K and L must be what she calls her bodyguards. I heard groans and something being dragged across the room. Then a short silence.

"Are you all right?" Bom asked sounding concerned.

"I'm fine."

"Hyung, you are sick. I told you not to piss Sil Jang off like this. You haven't learned from before?" Jiyong asked sounding concerned.

"I always have luck on my side, like today" Seung Hyun chuckled "Don't worry too much, remember your blood pressure."

"Eish shhi!" Jiyong threw something on the floor "You bastar.d! You think I want to carry your fcken fat half dead body on my back ever again? Wanna test me? Next time I'll just leave you bleed to your death because you definitely don't care about my warnings and I know what I am talking about."

"Jiyong yah~"

"Don't touch me! You too, how can you let him do this."

"You know..." Bom said sounding hurt "You know why."

"Yah, don't snap at her" Seung Hyun said sternly.

"Hyung, you haven't been there, I have. I know! Why don't you believe me it's impossible?!"

I knew Jiyong well enough to realize he was so worried about Seung Hyun that he wanted to cry. He sounded frustrated and unsatisfied, he sounded like he was hurting. But what did he mean by being 'there'? Where? In a gang?

"As long as he is by my side, I will make sure nothing happens to him" Bom spoke soothingly

"Jiyong yah~ Don't be like this."

"I said, don't touch me! What do you mean nothing will happen?! Today sure nothing happened" he said with sarcasm in his voice.

"Just a little bit longer, can't you endure it?" she asked with so much sadness in her voice.

"No, not a second longer."

"You are so adorable when you are worried" Seung Hyun chirped.

"Shut up!"

"I am touched, you know. To see how much you care..."

"Argh, I will-"

"Stop it!" Bom yelled "Oppa, stop

Please log in to read the full chapter