48.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

In fairy tales,
there is always a second chance.

In life,
there are many more.



Back in high school


”Look at that bit.ch, she is always talking to Jiyong.”

”What a nerd, who does she think she is?”

”Let's teach her a lesson!”

”Hold it girls” Dara stopped her friends. ”Let me handle this” she smirked and made her way towards her so called enemy. Pushing the girl away with such power the latter fell on the ground scratching her knee, she stopped in front of Jiyong, looking very much pleased with herself.

”That was... nice” Jiyong said dully, swallowing that cocky smile which threatened to spread on his lips.

”I don't care, I have something I need to tell you” Dara said indifferently while chewing onto her gum.

”Yah, scram away already, ugly.” She narrowed her eyes at the girl who quickly scrambled on her feet and walked away with her head hanging.

”Why is she always hanging around you?”

”Because I am good looking and smart” was Jiyong's stern answer.

”When you say that, it doesn't sound like a joke.”

”It's not a joke” Jiyong held his chin higher. ”So what do you want to tell me? I have a student council meeting later.”

”I am going to go hang out with my friends at the park in the evening. Tell ohmma I am staying at Jin Hee's place.”

”You want me to pick you up?”

Finally, his lips curled in a lopsided smile. It sure did make Dara's heart skip a beat but she pretended not to notice. He should be banned from smiling because when he did so one girl always fainted somewhere.

”That would be nice, of course. Then tell her I am studying at the library.”

”But you really need to study” Jiyong corrected his glasses and then glanced at his watch. ”The mid terms are just around the corner.”

”You worry so much, dear dongseng” Dara pat his shoulder. ”Later you will help me, right?”

”And what do I get in exchange?”

”Well, what do you want?”

He shrugged. ”To meet girls.”

”No” Dara answered promptly. ”I'll buy you dinner.”

”Always the same story, you are still not willing to share?” Jiyong teased, wondering if he was going too far because she was blushing.

”W-what a-are you talking about?” she stuttered a little. ”I'm just protecting other girls from your tyranny.”

”I see...” Jiyong chuckled. ”I need to go but see you later.”

”Don't forget” Dara squinted her eyes.

”Hey” Jiyong smiled. ”There is something on your face.” His fingers gently brushed her cheek.

”What is it?” Dara asked with robotic voice, she could barely move because her body had turned into a stone upon his touch.

”A booger?”

”What?!” she shrieked.

”Just joking” Jiyong chuckled. ”A feather of an angel. Does that sound better?” There was nothing, he just wanted to touch her and of course, .

”I'll kick your a.ss! Go away!”

”I'm going. Going.”

"Goodbye forever" Dara growled. Jiyong stopped and turned to look at her with a raised brow.

"So I don't have to pick you up later?"

"Mamderoheeeee!" she yelled in annoyance. (do what you want)

Jiyong just chuckled. "You look funny when you blow your cheeks, like a hamster."

"Chincha..."

"Bye!"

While watching him walk away Dara cupped her cheek and pouted. He was making her heart beat so loud and she was afraid one day he'd actually hear it. She didn't want him finding out about her feelings because most probably he'd just about it and make her life a living hell.

His type was totally different from her, a nice kind girl, someone she'd never be. Oh, how wrong she was.

Like usual, when Jiyong came to the park he saw bunch of drunk kids and empty beer bottles. Dara was totally hopeless, always easily influenced by others, just to be in the same group with the cool kids. And her alcohol resistance was bad too, probably just smelling the beer made her drunk and dizzy.

He didn't always like her ways of spending her free time but who was he to control her? She was free to live like she wanted and learn from her own mistakes.

He asked around and finally saw Dara sitting next to a guy, leaning into him like they were dating or something. How he hated to see her around other guys, it drove him crazy.

Flames of jealousy of an inexperienced boy flared in his heart as he made his way towards, what seemed at the moment, his biggest enemy. The guy was leaning closer and closer to Dara who helplessly tried to escaped him while giggling teasingly.

Didn't she realize how y she was at the moment?! Jiyong took his words back about letting her learn from her own mistakes. One of these days she would come home knocked up or something... There, the guy's lips touched her cheek and that was counted as a kiss. He was dead now!

”Yah” Jiyong slapped the guy's head. ”Hands off.”

”Who the hell are you?” the guy slurred.

”You don't need to know” Jiyong grumbled, offering his hand to Dara who grabbed it and he helped her to stand up.

”Where are you going?” The guy stared at Dara a little helplessly.

”Home” She waved at him happily. ”Meet you never again.”

”Wait.”

”Shut up.” Jiyong kicked the guy lightly but hard enough for him to fall on his back, and smiled at his accomplishment. K.O!

”She is mine.”

Then he turned to look at Dara from head to toe.

”You are driving me crazy. Chincha!!” he complained. She just giggled sticking her tongue out.

”Get on my back.”

”Hey, isn't that Seung Hyun?”

”Hey there.”

”Where are you going?”

Jiyong looked up and faced two shady looking guys. They were wearing their school uniforms with the logo of Seoul high on them. He wrinkled his nose, he absolutely loathed guys from that high school. They were way too arrogant, really stupid and cheated in all the basketball matches they had. Guess their only opinion was to cheat because they at playing and they at everything they did, anyway. They even at looking intimidating. Now they even mixed up people.

”I'm not Seung Hyun” Jiyong said coldly. ”You got the wrong person.”

”I don't think so.” The guy with a beanie smirked. ”Who's that chick on your back? Is that Bom?”

”Are you guys on your way to or from a love hotel?” the other guy giggled like a little girl.

”I don't know what you are talking about” Jiyong tried to walk around them but they stopped him.

”Yah, where do you think you are going?”

”We have some unsettled business.”

”Then go solve them with that Seung Hyun, whoever.”

”When did you become such a coward?”

"What a low method to escape..."

”When did you guys became stupid.”

”What did you say?” The beanie guy pushed Jiyong's chest.

”Yah, are you crazy? Can't you see I am carrying someone on my back?” Jiyong hissed.

”I don't care. Because of you we lost a lot of money.”

”And what should I do now?”

”We want rematch.”

”Eish, tsummal... I told you I don't know any Seung Hyun” Jiyong hissed a little desperately. ”Go find the real deal.”

”Stop trying to run away. Are you scared or something?”

”He is too maybe?”

”Yah!” Jiyong glared at the erted guy.

”You are too busy to fck your little girlfriend, huh? Afraid she'd wake up too early and witness your nonexistent di.ck?”

”Tsummal, if not her I'd kick your both a.sses this minute!” Jiyong growled.

”That's more like the Seung Hyun we know.”

”I said I am NOT Seung Hyun. My name is Jiyong, Park Jiyong.”

The two guys stared at him in suspicion.

”Wanna see my id?”

”Dude, maybe he really isn't?”

”But look at him, it's Seung Hyun.”

”But you know how some people look completely alike.”

”That's creepy, man.”

”I know.”

They stared at Jiyong again.

”So, what school does this Seung Hyun go to?”

”Seoul High.”

”I see...” Jiyong wondered if there really was someone who looked like him. This was getting interesting. ”And he has the same face as I do?”

The two guys nodded.

”Thanks for letting me know” he flashed them a smile and walked away, whistling happily by himself.

”He is even scarier than Seung Hyun” the beanie guy whispered.

”I agree...”

”What uniform was that, did you see?”

”MNM high.”

Jiyong dropped Dara on a bench, waking her up from her drunken slumber. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, smacking her lips together. While she was busy figuring out where she was now Jiyong bought a water bottle from a near by vending machine and was walking back when she complained it was cold.

He handed her the bottle and took off his blazer, placing it on her shoulders before sitting next to her.

”I want to go home” Dara whined.

”You need to sober up first.”

”I'm not even drunk” she slurred.

”How much did you drink?”

”Just one bottle” she held three fingers up.

”You are so bad with alcohol” he smiled. ”Don't drink anymore.”

”I need to practice for future.”

”You can practice when I am around.”

”Why, why, why, why?” She leaned into him as she drank, water running down her chin. ”Are you jealous of other guys?”

”Very much” Jiyong sighed. He leaned over her and wiped her chin with his sleeve. ”Is it that hard to drink? Are you a baby?” he raised a brow. Dara stared deep in his eyes and giggled.

”What? Do I look that funny?” his gentle smile grew wider.

”Stop laughing, now” he pinched her cheek.

Dara leaned away from him and rubbed her cheek, pouting. His eyes followed her every move, that smile still remaining on his lips. She glared at him but then a sweet smile spread on her lips when he just kept looking at her like she was the cutest thing ever.

Dara smiled meekly and leaned against Jiyong's side, burying her face into his shirt. He knew so well, even if she was angry or annoyed,

 

 

in the end she would always come back to him.

 

 

 

She was his after all.
 



”If you could get only one wish, what would it be?” Dara asked a little dreamy. Her hand s around his waist as she hugged him.

”Cold?” Jiyong asked.

”Yeah” she piped.

”Okay, let me warm you up” he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her even closer. ”Let's see, my only wish, hmmm...”

”My wish is to be rich because then I will be able to grant all my other wishes too” Dara mumbled proudly. Her eyes were closed and her body relaxed in his warmth.

”Aren't you smart?” Jiyong chuckled, ruffling her hair.

”Are you saying I am stupid?” she made an attempt to move away but he didn't let her go.

”No” Jiyong leaned his cheek against her hair and breathed in the sweet scent of her shampoo.

”Not at all” he whispered.

”Uhm, what are you doing?” Dara asked a little startled by the intimacy he was displaying.

”I'm just cold.”

”You are that cold?”

”I am so cold.”

A short silence fell between them, a silence filled with their unsteady heartbeats.

”Then let's go home.”

”Let's stay like this for a little longer.”

”No way, people will misunderstand”

Dara squirmed free from his embrace and eyed him suspiciously. Jiyong rolled his eyes at her innocence, a little disappointed he couldn't have her in his arms for a bit longer. Guess, he should wait a little more for her, after all.

But why was his heart feeling so restless again? He looked at the sky his eyes catching the shaking moon.

It looked like it was about to break.

”Or are you falling in love with me?” Dara teased. In answer he leaned his face so close to her their noses almost touched.

Dara gulped, staring him in the eye, afraid to even breathe.

”Why don't you think about that?” Jiyong raised a brow.

”Yah” Dara pushed him away. ”Are you making fun of me?”

”Maybe” he chuckled.

”Aish, so annoying” she got on her feet and handed Jiyong his blazer.

”This means?” He arched his brows.

”Give me a ride.”

”You can walk, can't you? Or” Jiyong smirked. ”You like being so close to me, huh?”

”In your dreams, I am just tired.”

”Walk.”

”Jiyong, pretty please.” Dara whined while tagging after him when he suddenly stopped and spun around.

”And what is my reward?”

”I'll warm you up” she smiled.

Jiyong just raised a brow. ”That's lame.”

”Then do you want a kiss?” she asked dryly.

”That sounds good.”

”Never!”

”How about, you make me lunch on the weekend when ohmma is away.”

”Not again” Dara groaned.

”Then walk.”

”Come on!”

”I need every second for studying, now I already lost so much time because of you” Jiyong said sternly.

”Fine, but you carry me all the way.”

”I knew you'd agree” he flashed a satisfied smile. ”Get on then.”

”Yay” Dara wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face into his back. ”So comfortable.”

Jiyong smiled by himself, feeling happy just to have her close. Indeed, if he got only one wish he'd wish to always be by her side.

Maybe one day it might come true. Maybe...

He knew one thing for sure, he'd be ready to wait, forever and ever.

Forever and always.

He was a total fool after all.

”Faster, faster” Dara mumbled into his neck.

”Ya, what am I? A donkey?”

”Yeah, you are my donkey” she chuckled. ”My cute furry donkey.”

Jiyong shivered. ”You made me sound like a monster.”

”And one more thing” Dara whispered while leaning closer to his face.

”What is it?” Jiyong turned to look over his shoulder.

He didn't expect to feel her soft lips press against the corner of his mouth. ”What are yo-” He was so shocked he almost dropped her while Dara just giggled and buried her face into his shirt again, feeling embarrassed and excited.

Her heart beat furiously against his back and he could feel every beat. His cheeks flustered and he bit his lower lip, a meek smile appearing on his face. She was so bad at hiding her feelings.

”Now I don't need to cook for you.”

Jiyong chuckled. ”How cheeky.”

One day, he swore he'd take revenge.

He'd be million times more cheeky and sneaky.

 

 


One day.

 

 

 



There was a soju stall near our house and we always went there when we were having bad times. Unlike usually we'd sit in silence because we weren't in the mood to fight about meaningless things. We'd eat, drink and listen to what people around us were talking about, that's all. I miss those times when it used to be just us two.

Everything was simple, life was good, life was carefree. What happened about 4 years ago now seemed like it happened in our previous lives or something. Or like it never happened at all.

”Want a cigarette?” Jiyong offered and I accepted in silence. His ash black hair fell on his face covering his beautiful sparkling eyes, his eyes were small and they got even smaller when he smiled. That's how I could tell if his smile was genuine or not.

”Why don't you ever tell me to stop smoking?” I asked lazily as I lighted my cigarette.

”Did you know that just by being a passive smoker there is a higher risk to get a cancer? Nowadays, you get cancer by just living in this world. So what does it matter anymore, if you smoke or not?”

”Well, I would save money if I didn't” I shrugged.

”Why would I care about your money?”

I looked at him dully. ”Never mind then, I'll keep smoking and die young.”

”You will have to stop eventually” Jiyong smirked.

”Why do you look so sure about that?”

”When you get pregnant, there are no other opinions.”

I rolled my eyes. ”How clever.”

”Need any help right now?”

”Shut up.”

He chuckled by himself and poured soju for me first then for himself. My eyes followed the moves of his hand and then I stared at the half full bottle, all my thoughts freezing for a moment. He already downed his shot and reached his hand for the bottle again when I suddenly grabbed it away.

Jiyong gave me a questioning look.

”I am here, aren't I? Stop pouring for yourself.”

He raised a brow. ”You have become so polite.”

”Anyway, tell me everything now.”

”That's quite a demand” a short string of laughter escaped Jiyong's lips. ”You made it sound so humble.”

”I'm serious, just tell me everything.”

”What everything?”

”Everything I need to know.”

”You don't need to know anything.”

I gritted my teeth and shifted my eyes at his smirking face. ”At least tell me about Bom, you and Seung Hyun.”

”Hmmm” His fingers fiddled with his shot glass and then he slowly brought it to his thin lips. Right I had forgotten, the lips.

”By the way, how come your lips changed?” I asked cheekily. ”They weren't so thin before.”

Jiyong squinted his eyes while downing his soju. ”Fine, I'll tell you about Bom” he mumbled, grabbing the soju bottle to himself. So, he preferred to avoid the lip topic, huh? ”I'll tell you about it all. What do you want to know?”

A satisfied smile spread on my lips and I crossed my arms over my chest, preparing myself mentally for the roller coaster I knew the new information would be. But heck yeah, at the moment I felt so proud of myself. Finally I got him to speak!

”For instance, who is she in love with?”

”You are asking me?!"

"Who else?"

"Aren't women supposed to know these things better?"

"Are you avoiding my question?"

"Aish, who knows?” Jiyong mumbled. ”I know for sure she used to be in love with me but now... it's a different story.”

”And what happened between you and her?”

An ironic smile spread on Jiyong's lips. ”What happened?” he scoffed. ”Seung Hyun happened.”

I waited for him to continue but he just kept drinking. ”Is your tactic to get too drunk to talk or something? Hey, eat this” I offered him kimchi pancake and he accepted. ”What did Seung Hyun do?”

”The irony of it all...” Jiyong smiled a little awkwardly. ”Nothing at all, he did nothing.”

I raised a brow. These guys are good at making up answers that make no sense. I didn't wait for him to speak more so when he opened his mouth again it took me aback.

”She misunderstood me and I was too stubborn and stupid to handle the situation well. We were just kids after all. And hyung, he was nothing but a tool in this battle, she used him.”

A painful expression spread across Jiyong's face and he frowned, biting his lower lip. His fingers gripped on the bottle, his eyes concentrating on an empty bowl in front of him.

”But then again, no matter how I want to blame Bom for this all I can't. Me and hyung, we often blame each other, we argue, we fight but it's all useless. We both know that the one to blame is Bom's mother, Sil Jang and all those people. We just got caught up in their deadly game, that's all.”

”What happened?”

”What happened? Tsh” Jiyong looked at me like I was stupid. ”You are asking me what happened, huh?” he chuckled coldly. ”A war.”

My eyes twitched when I slowly connected a few dots in my head. ”Right, this is the reason why you guys are fighting against Bom's mother and Sil Jang in the first place.”

”In the first place, it was me who got Seung Hyun involved. It's my fault” Jiyong whispered, lowering his head. ”If not me he could be happy now and have a normal life.”

”So back to Bom's and Seung Hyun's relationship?”

”Aish, there is nothing...” Jiyong ruffled his hair. ”She used him, trying to make me jealous but that was short lived.”

”Then how about that Soo Yeon?” I leaned my palm against my cheek while resting my elbow on the table.

”That... Well, he was trying to get over her so he didn't really care about anything back then. Those were probably the hardest times in his life. And he had Bom to handle, that wasn't an easy task. At that time because of certain circumstances they were inseparable, they were always together.”

”Wait, why? He fell for her?”

Jiyong shook his head. ”He was ordered to protect her.”

My eyes widened in surprise. ”He was her bodyguard?”

”Kind of.”

”Whoa, what happened next?”

”In the end we have come to this, he is using Bom to get what he wants. That's all.”

”I thought they were in love...”

”You have no idea” Jiyong smirked. ”Want more soju?”

”Yeah.”

”You see dear nuna” he spoke softly while pouring me another glass. ”They hate each other.”

”What? You are lying” I squinted my eyes. ”Can't be!”

”Their relationship is purely based on business.”

”They can't hate each other.”

”Well, it might look like they are a couple but that's not true. They get along, okay that's true but that's only because they have the same goal to fighting for. And also because Seung Hyun is my brother and I am a weak spot for Bom, she can't do anything.”

”Wait, wait, wait!” A sudden realization hit me. ”You guys want to get rid of her mother but don't you think it's strange for her to be on your side? Shouldn't she be on her mother's side?”

Jiyong stayed silent for a while. ”Sometimes I am suspicious about that too but I guess we would be screwed already if she wasn't really on our side. Yeah, hyung does trust her a little blindly but he is not as stupid as to tell her everything.”

”In the end, she is helping you guys because she is still in love with you?”

”I don't like to think that way” Jiyong gave me a dull look. ”What's over is over.”

”So there is no way you like her back?”

Jiyong scoffed. ”Are you an idiot? Didn't I tell you I love you?”

”Yeah yeah...” I brushed his desperate words off maybe too lightly. ”I wonder, are they acting like they are in love because they want to fool Bom's mother?”

”There are other things too, like Sil Jang wants her to marry this one guy but she doesn't want to so Seung Hyun is helping her to be free. Her mother too... If not him, her mother probably would have married her off to someone already. That's why they are engaged but it's all fake.”

”She is using Seung Hyun a lot, don't you think?”

Jiyong shrugged. ”He is using her a great deal too. This relationship, it's beneficial both ways. Besides, she saved his life in the past so it's like she owns him. They are in this all together.”

I scratched my head and pouted my lips. Everything was indeed getting a bit too complicated. I wasn't even sure anymore if I wanted to know more so I drank. Who cares if I get drunk, maybe that would be for the best anyway.

”There is no love” Jiyong sighed.

”What do you mean by that?” I mumbled, my mouth full of food.

”Eish, how dirty” he scrunched his nose. ”Seung Hyun, it's not like he is free to live his life like he wants to. That's why there is no love for him.”

”I'm sick of hearing all these things about Seung Hyun. Why does it seem like everyone is trying to make him sound greater than he actually is?”

”Because he is so pitiful. Hell, I wouldn't like to be in his shoes.”

”It's his fault to live his life that way” I mumbled bitterly. ”In the end, he could just marry Bom. They make a perfect miserable couple.”

”She only sees him as a brother, nothing more.”

”That's just sick.”

”If not their love act we all would be dead by now” Jiyong pointed out.

”Why must it be so complicated?” I whined. ”What the hell is going on?”

”Revenge.” Jiyong simply answered.

”I guess there is certain price you have to pay if you want to take revenge on someone.”

”Exactly.”

”Wait” I eyed Jiyong in suspicion. ”Where do you stand in this all? Why does it seem like you are not involved at all?”

A bitter expression spread on Jiyong's face. ”Apparently I was stupid enough not to realize hyung had other plans for me. I am still angry about that incident” he growled and then muttered under his breathe: ”How dares he?”

”And now what?”

”Well” Jiyong rubbed his chin. ”I am kind of working from outside the circle.”

”Sounds like you got it all easy.”

”Easy? Do you know how much do I have to work?”

”Paperwork in your office? How dangerous...” I teased.

”That is like 20% of my work. I am the one who goes to meet all those disgusting people.”

”What people?”

”Bad people.”

”And Seung Hyun? He is busy acting like a loving boyfriend?”

Jiyong gave me a dull look. ”You pretty much got it all wrong. Actually, he has to take care of all the business and do his other job.”

”What's his other job?”

”That will remain a secret.”

I rolled my eyes. ”Whatever. I don't want to hear about him anymore.”

Jiyong watched me drink and then lowered his eyes, looking like he was deep in his thoughts. I wondered what he was thinking about but didn't ask anything, hoping he'd speak himself. All this talk about Seung Hyun got me a little sad and angry too, even after all these months it seems like the subject is still a little sensitive. And especially after this evening.

My heart sped up and I took in a deep breathe. What in the world did he mean with his words today? No matter what, I couldn't trust him. Not anymore.

”Don't hate him” Jiyong finally whispered. ”I'm serious, you shouldn't hate him.”

”Let's not talk about him, please.”

”I knew it would turn out like this...” Jiyong groaned. ”It's all your fault, because you didn't go along with my plans.”

”I don't know what you are talking about.”

”Of course, you don't” He looked a little bitter.

”Anyway, what in the world happened to us?” I asked, sounding a little lost.

”What do you mean?”

”You and me.”

”You and me?” Jiyong sighed,

 



”Maybe because there never was you and me?”



I slowly looked up, quiet.

”I guess, it was just me all along” he cracked an ironic smile.

”Yah” I shrieked. ”Do you think I never loved you?”

A bittersweet smile spread on his lips, there was no answer.

”You are so stupid” I muttered while running my hand through my hair. ”To think I don't care.”

”No, I know you care but that's what makes me sad.”

”That makes no sense.”

”Yeah, who do you even care about... that's what I wonder.”

I stared at him in surprise, wondering what did he really mean with his words. I thought he knew how much I cared for him, I though he knew I loved him. But why do I get this feeling he knows nothing at all. This foolish guy. It's as if he is waiting for the moment he will get abandoned, like he is so sure about that.

”How many times do I have to tell you that I care? When will you understand?”

”Don't say it” Jiyong mumbled. ”I don't want to hear.” He sounded so sad and hurt.

”But it's the truth” I insisted.

”Dara, I'm not...” he whispered. ”It's not...”

”What?”

”Aish, it's nothing. When you find out the truth you will change your mind.”

”Nothing will make me change my mind, no matter what you do you will always be my family” I announced. ”Geez, I feel offended that you have so little trust in me.”

”You don't know what you are talking about” Jiyong ruffled his hair.

”You are afraid I'll turn my back on you and that's why you are not telling me anything!” I realized.

”Yeah, I guess I am a coward” Jiyong didn't dare to look me in the eye.

”Yah...” I was speechless by the fact he trusted me so little. Actually it hurt, deep in my heart I felt this painful pinch. I would trust my life in his hands but he...

”Mean punk...” I hissed under my breathe. ”Fine, don't trust my words then. I hate you.”

Jiyong poured me another glass. ”One day, you will know what I am talking about.”

”Why do I get this feeling that one day will never come?”

”Don't be so pessimistic.” A sad smile spread on his lips. ”That day will surely come and that's when we will say our goodbyes. Just... when that time comes, let's not part with bad atmosphere. Let's make it all nice and smooth all right?”

I couldn't believe he was saying such words.

”Duck , I will never abandon you. I'm letting you know now and here, remember I said this out loud. We have to be always together because we are family. Or I don't know, maybe we are just friends. I don't care what we are but I know it's impossible for us to just part with hatred.

No, we will never part like that.”

Jiyong looked at me, a little surprised and then he smiled sweetly. ”You don't even know what you are saying, kiddo.”

”A kid?” I raised my brows. ”Who are you calling a kid, huh?”

”You sound like you are drunk.”

”Have you heard how you sound? You sound like a drunk duck!”

Surprisingly he laughed cheerfully instead of immediately getting annoyed. This side of Jiyong, I wish I could see it more often. Sometimes I do get this feeling he is acting grumpy on purpose.

”I'll miss this.”

”Seriously, stop with that.”

”I'm pouring my heart out and you” Jiyong clicked his tongue. ”You have always been heartless, anyway.”

”You just wait and see, when we get old we will play cards together and argue all the time. We will be those annoying elders in the village, those who like to gossip and scold random people. All the youngsters will hate us.

Jiyong kept laughing. ”And what if you marry?”

”Well, you will marry one day too. Doesn't mean we have to stop being friends.”

”Maybe...” Jiyong sighed. ”That kind of future would be pretty nice. I wish, I only wish it could come true.”

I never knew he was so hopeless.

”And it will.” I said decisively.

Jiyong didn't answer, just stared at his empty glass with a silly smile on his lips and I wanted to pull him in a tight hug, sensing all the sadness and pain in his presence. I promised to myself to never, ever abandon him, ever. He'd be the saddest duck and sad ducks are too pitiful, so pitiful it makes me want to cry.

”Tell me truthfully, are you in pain? Does it hurt a lot?” I asked quietly, my lips trembling.

”Yeah” he answered with a barely audible whisper. ”More than words could ever describe.” That just now, broke my heart.

”I'm sorry” I lowered my eyes.

”No, it's not your fault. You should be proud of yourself, really. You are the only one who can make that hurt go away.”

My smile was much ironic. ”Liar.”

”I'm serious” Jiyong drank straight from the bottle. ”You are a perfect distraction.” he slurred, his words mixing together and I looked at him with much sympathy in my eyes. He was getting really drunk. I guess me too because the world was starting to look blurry to me.

”Do you still remember how you confessed to me?” I asked out of the blue.

”How could I forget? The sun was shining, we were standing at the crossroad, you were looking at your cellphone, ignoring me again...”

”And when you asked let's go out, I said we are out already.”

”As always, you ruined the beautiful moment with your cheesiness.”

It was like my world suddenly stopped from revolving. I had leaned my head on the table but his words made me suddenly sit straight. I blinked, my eyes boring into him. He didn't look up, keeping his gaze lowered so he didn't see my shocked face.

My lips slightly parted, I wanted to say: ”It wasn't like that. It was the other way around, you were the cheeky one.” But I couldn't. Because suddenly I wasn't sure who he was anymore.

And I kept wondering if he made this mistake on purpose.

”Jiyong, it was raining that day.”

”I guess that slipped my mind” he mumbled. ”Who cares about the weather?”

”Then what present did you give me on my 14th birthday?”

”Why are you always asking me these stupid questions? That was like ages ago, how can I remember?”

”But why does Seung Hyun always remember?”

”Because he is crazy.” Jiyong suddenly looked at me, his eyes were squinted. ”Because he... because... Well, he is not what you think he is.”

”What does that mean?” I raised a brow.

”He is not who you th-”

Suddenly Jiyong's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. I looked over my shoulder and ducked just in time. An empty soju bottle landed in the middle of our table knocking everything down. I opened one eye and saw bunch of men next to our table in a deep argument, they were in the process of standing up and soon a fight broke out.

”That's it! Who the hell threw that bottle?” Jiyong growled.

”Don't...” I whispered as my eyes followed his every step. But too late.

Soon he was in the middle of the fight, throwing punches left and right like a violent drunkard. Dumbfounded, I just stared at the scene unfold in front of myself. The owner of the stall tried to stop them but got involved into the fight himself, their girlfriends tried to stop them but ended up fighting with each other.

I grabbed my head and closed my eyes tightly. But then again, come to think about it. Drunken duck fighting looked so funny. Like an angry duck, heh. How could he ever think about me leaving him? How stupid was he? And that day, it wasn't raining.

 

 

 


The police came to get the troublemakers and we somehow ended up with them all at the police station. I remember sitting there half asleep, barely seeing what was going on around myself. It was cold and I hugged myself trying to stop my body from trembling.

If only it was a little warmer I would be able to fall asleep. I wished I could fall asleep and kept yawning helplessly. It was starting to annoy me too. Suddenly my prayers were answered and a warm jacket was placed on my shoulders.

”Gwenchanayo?” a silky voice asked me.

But instead of worried it sounded rather amused, I frowned and tried to open my eyes but my eyelids were too heavy.

”Yeah” I mumbled. ”Don't laugh.”

”No, I am not laughing” He ruffled my hair. ”I'm not laughing at all, even when you look funny like that.”

”Why are you so late?” another voice asked. It sounded very angry.

”Oh, hyung. In trouble again? What a surprise.” The tone was awfully teasing.

”Shut up, I told you not to call me that” Jiyong snapped, I recognized his voice. ”Why are you so late.”

”Traffic jam.”

”At this time? Don't lie.”

”I was in the middle of a dinner, I couldn't just leave like that.”

”With a woman, huh? A random woman is more important than me?”

”It would be weird if I choose you over a woman.”

”You won't even remember her name next morning.”

”You are wrong, I forgot already” he sounded so cheeky, so familiar.

”Next time, if you are this late I am gonna cut off your balls.”

”Arasso, arasso. Do you need to fill some papers?”

”I wouldn't have to if you came earlier.”

”Stop whining.”

”You fill them for me.”

”In your dreams.”

”Crap, look who's here.”

”What? They were-” I felt air hit my face when someone flopped on the seat next to mine and covered my face with the jacket.

”Fancy seeing you two here?” Unfamiliar voice spoke, it gave me chills.

”You should keep your boys under better watch.”

”Did you get permission to speak?”

Jiyong didn't say anything anymore and the person next to me wrapped his arm around my shoulders causing me to bump into his chest and I heard his steady heartbeats.

I slowly opened my eyes. It was pitch black under the jacket so I proceeded to move it off but a hand caught mine bringing it on his lap. I froze realizing this was a quite serious moment, perking up my ears I listened.

”I told you to stay out of my way, Jiyong.”

”Then stop sending people on my back.”

”What? Do you really think I would do something that cowardly?”

”You are an a.sshole, anyway.”

”You have become too arrogant for your own good.”

”And you have become too fat.”

I almost laughed, almost but the guy, holding me actually chuckled. Who was he, anyway?

”How childish...”

”You have anything else to tell me?”

”Watch your back.”

”My my, have I made you angry now?”

”More than that.”

”I'll be waiting for your next move.”

”It won't be a relaxing experience.”

I felt cold chills run down my spine and a bad feeling filled my heart. Call it a woman's intuition but that moment I knew something bad would happen and worry spread through my body. It had sounded like Jiyong was digging a grave for himself by simply being careless.

Foolish duck . Did anyone ever write a story about a stupid duck? If no then I am on it.

”I am not sure if that was a smart move” the guy beside me spoke. He carefully removed the jacket away from my face and the bright light caused me to close my eyes.

When I opened them again the world had become a blur. Just great. The alcohol was still burning my skin, I definitely had drunk too much because my head was spinning too.

”Whatever, I am not scared of him.”

”You should be.”

”Dara, you okay?” Jiyong asked.

”Nuh” I nodded. ”…I can't see anything.”

I imagined him to roll his eyes.

”Trying to change the topic, aren't we?”

”Shut up” Jiyong hissed, while grabbing my hand and forcing me to stand up. ”Just get on my back. I'll carry you.”

”You are still drunk” the other voice spoke softly.

”I am man enough to be able to carry one girl on my back” Jiyong said dryly.

”Whoa, so cool.”

”Stop annoying me. Let's go.”

”I can't. Chief wants to see me and I have a report to write. I'll come later.”

”Then just give me the keys, without additional sarcasm please.”

"Oh, so you didn't lose them?"

"I will if you want."

"Don't you dare, give them here."

”Fine, but don't be naughty today.”

”Tsh, how could I, without you?”

”You are so loyal. I love you too.”

”How disgusting. Help her on my back. I want to get the hell out of here before I barf.”

”Just a sec” A pair of hands grabbed my shoulders, balancing me while my head swayed from one side to other. I swear I was so close to falling asleep right there and then. Maybe the other guy was Kang Woo? Earlier it sounded like it was a police officer.

”Why did you get her so drunk?”

”Why did she get me so drunk?” Jiyong chuckled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Are you ready,

to face this world alone?




My eyes fluttered open and I sat up on the bed, about to scream at the guys to stop fighting. But my lips pursed tightly together when I realized I was in someone's bedroom. It was a little bit chilly and everything was white. The bed was positioned next to a wide window, framed by white fluttering curtains.

I looked around seeing a door to what I believe was a walk in closet and a huge mirror next to it. On the other side of the room a round small table with three armchairs around it, a small bookshelf and a chest of drawers.

The room was clean and the air was fresh, everything was snow white like straight from heaven. Did I die and become an angel or something? Is this heaven?

Then my eyes caught Jiyong sleeping on the other side of the gigantic bed and I knew that it would be impossible for me to be in heaven because he would never make it there.

For a second I actually felt disappointed but then, realizing how wide the bed actually was I blinked. After scratching my head and simply feeling helpless I looked under the blankets and saw myself wearing exactly same clothes as I did yesterday. Thanks God.

Without waking Jiyong up I got out from the bed and slipped my feet in a pair of white slippers that were left on the floor, what I supposed, for me to wear. Curiosity was eating me so I decided to explore the place and tiptoed out from the room, silently closing the door after myself and leaving Jiyong to snore there by himself.

What opened in front of me was a huge living room, brown wooden colors making me feel warm inside especially when bright sun rays seeped through framed glass wall and windows that were located just under the ceiling. There was one glass door in the corner leaving a piece of wall looking lonely surrounded by all that sparkling clean glass. I felt like I was in a glass castle.

A corner sofa stood in the middle of the room, splitting it into two. In front of the sofa stood dark home theater in all it's glory and total royal silence. And behind the sofa, I was just walking past the armchairs that were scattered around a square glass table. And there was a bar counter at the other side of the room. Next to it rustled a healthy bamboo tree in it's white pot.

White furry carpet covered every inch of the floor and it made me want to take my slippers off and let my toes sink into it's softness. Then my eyes caught a fireplace behind the stairs that lead on a second floor. I wondered what was there. But before that something else caught my eye.

I walked to the glass wall and took a look outside, lush gardens mesmerizing my senses. It truly looked like a paradise. A small old style pagoda was placed at the far end and a little man made river flew through the Japanese style garden.

Simple but breathtaking with every single little detail and tall trees framing everything. I got this feeling I was in the middle of a forest. The grass was green and fresh, bending in the strong crispy wind it sparkled like it was plastic. There were a few narrow stone paths and I was dying to go walk through them, it almost seemed like there would be a treasure at the end of one of them.

I turned around my eyes falling on the stairs. Of course, my next goal was to climb up but then I saw an opened door across of them and entered a cozy kitchen. It was fully equipped and shined like it was brand new, probably because it was rarely used. Under the window stood a table for four, made of white wood. The color themes pretty much circled around white, black and brown giving whole place a dreamy atmosphere. Coffee was dripping through the coffee maker and a lonely red cup stood at the end of the table, next to an opened newspaper.

Someone was pretty much awake in this house and I just knew it would be Seung Hyun. My eyes darted at the stairs. Maybe he was on the second floor? For a second I hesitated but then still made my way up. I was too curious to see what would be waiting for me there. What a lovely surprise. It was a cozy small attic room, with skewed roof and a triangle shaped big window. Instantly, I was in love.

On the one side there was nothing, just forgotten huge beanbag chair. I thought no one used those anymore, I guess someone was stuck in the 90's. I chuckled softly, my eyes shifting the small TV screen and a dusty xbox lying next to it. Guys...

In the middle of the room, in front of the wall stood a low black desk with a flat huge computer screen on it and the computer itself next to it. Every inch was filled with papers, there were papers on the floor too. A bottle of water had rolled under the table and several wraps of snacks lied scattered all around. I saw at least three empty coffee cups and a ramen cup tower consisting of over 10 empty cups, chopsticks lying here and there. It was really messy, like a guy's room where girls were not allowed to enter.

I quickly glanced at the other side of the room seeing a small sofa and a long glass table in front of it, a black square fluffy carpet rested under them. Pillows and blankets were scattered between the table and the sofa, inviting me to jump in. Actually that corner looked really comfortable but the computer screen caught my interest because I saw some kind of process running. I squatted down and saw many opened files on the background, a picture of a man exciting a building with a suitcase in his left hand.

My attention shifted on the papers and I realized they were some kind of reports.

There were pictures too, some objects were circled with red marker and there were notes like ”bribe?”, ”meeting with the boss”, ”Suspect no5”, ”x-place” and many more. They didn't really make any sense to me but I did realize this was work related. My eyes glinted with excitement as my gaze landed on the computer screen again. This was it, I knew all the answers would be there.

A quiet beep signaled of the process being ready. I grabbed the mouse not caring about being caught later. Whoever left this information unprotected was a fool. I clicked ok and some windows closed automatically. A folder opened with endless amount of pictures in it, so many faces I didn't know so it didn't really interest me. Instead I clicked 'My Computer' and started opening random files in hopes to find something useful. My heart was beating million miles a second and my palm was sweating because I was afraid to get caught too soon.

My eyes ran across the screen and I frowned at the stupid names of the files like: pink, red, jelly, cute animals, bottle of wine and many others. When I opened the folder with cute animals I was surprised to find it full with pictures of cute animals. I scrolled up and down, feeling a little disappointed when suddenly a PDF file among all the pictures caught my eyes.

”Medical report?” I whispered, quickly clicking on it but then I b

Please log in to read the full chapter