2.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"Looks like you have to move?"

"Oh!” I startled, dropping the piece of paper. I stepped aside and looked at the guy next to me. Was he a human or a spirit? Why didn’t I hear his footsteps? I glanced over my shoulder and saw his red Ferrari parked at the roadside. I didn't hear it come either. Was I starting to get deaf? I stooped down and picked the paper, crumpling it with my tightly gripped fist.

"You need to store the books somewhere, right? There is a place, not so far away. I can lend it to you," Seung Hyun said calmly.

His hands were crossed over his chest and he leaned on the door of my shop. His amused eyes were fixed on me he had that strange look on his face, like he was observing me.

"What the heck is going on?" Dumbfounded, I stared at him.

"You just read about it, didn't you?" A smile lit up his.

I looked at the paper again, then at him. Today his attire was casual, black faded jeans, sweater with a collar shirt under it and dark blue blazer.

Seung Hyun ran his hand trough his hair managing to look damn hot. I quickly shifted my gaze off him.

"Actually, I called a car for you already. It's not like you have any other opinions."

"How did you know?" I asked quietly. This was suspicious.

"Why are you helping me?" No, this was DAMN suspicious.

"You are not stupid, are you?" Seung Hyun smiled mysteriously "Think" his finger poked my forehead.

"Yah" I grabbed a fistful of his blazer when he was turning away, probably wanting to leave.

"No matter how I think about it, I just don't get it. Jiyong owes you money and you want me to pay or work for you, that I get but this, this..." I glanced at my shop and then at him "How did you know about this?"

"Don't stress too much" Seung Hyun's palm cupped my cheek and he leaned closer "One day you will understand" he whispered flashing a charming smile. I leaned away from him giving him a weird look. Darn player.

"Okay" he glanced at his wristwatch "In about ten minutes the car will be here, they will also bring boxes for you. Have fun, see you around seven."

I watched him walk to his car and I thought he will just drive away but he grabbed something from his seat and walked back to me.

"Latte with caramel syrup, I heard that's what you like" he handed the cup to me. "Don't be too sad over this."

"Wh..."

I stared at him just as he winked and walked away, this time really getting into his Ferrari and driving away.

I narrowed my eyes at the coffee. How did he... Wait a second. My eyes squinted. Was Jiyong trying to get me and Seung Hyun together? What the he.ll? He did say yesterday that this was for my own good...

I wanted to throw the coffee away but I really needed caffeine now so I kept it. Instead I crumbled the notice paper and tossed it away. Heck, guess it was a dead end.

The notice was about some big company buying this area to build a huge mall on it. They said I will get some compensation money for moving away and that there was no use protesting. Things like these happen all the time, right? Protesting would be just waste of time. Instead I'll gladly just pack my things and move somewhere else.

That Jiyong... I gritted my teeth. Once he appears everything is bond to get messed up.

In about ten minutes the car arrived. Three men entered my shop with cardboard boxes in their hands. They said they would help me pack up and that we didn't have too much time to waste. I agreed, the faster we wrap things up the better. But I couldn't help that sad feeling tug my heart. What now? The books shop was my everything.

My bookstore wasn't that big. I also called one of my friends to help, Taeyang. We met about a year ago and sometimes hung out together. There was nothing between us, just pure friendship. Though lately I have started suspecting he has a crush on me and that makes me a little uncomfortable. I wasn't ready for another relationship yet. Not after my fiancé called off the wedding just a few days prior.

I sighed.

"Dara!”

Talk about the devil. I look up to see Taeyang entered the shop with a worried look on his face. His sleepy eyes fell on me and a sigh of relief escaped his lips when he saw I was okay. Well, I was too confused about my life to be too sad about this whole mess.

Taeyang was wearing sweats, a matching hoodie and a cap. He took it off and ran his fingers trough his short, thick hair. I could tell my call had awaken him and he had come as soon as possible, straight from his bed. He was such a nice guy, very nice.

"Are you all right?" he stopped in front of me.

"Yeah" I flashed a rest assuring smile "Don't worry."

"I brought you some cake" Taeyang smiled too, he placed a small bag on the table

"Huh?" his eyes fell on the cup I was holding. "Didn't you say you hate that?" he pointed at my latte.

"Well, I used to love this but then got tired of it and stopped drinking. I found myself craving for it today" I smiled.

Yeah, this was something I always used to drink with Jiyong, especially in high school, that's when I got addicted to this. Later when he left without a word I was so angry I swore I would never drink caramel latte ever again. And look at me now, what am I drinking?

"I see" Taeyang nodded. He looked around the shop "But how did you get everything ready so fast? I mean, you just found out about it this morning and you suddenly have a storage and these men working for you."

"One of my friends helped me, I guess luck was on my side." I kind of lied.

"Aigoo" Taeyang pinched my cheek "You are always so positive" he laughed.

"Yah" I slapped his hand away and rubbed my cheek.

"Let's start packing this place up" Taeyang took off his hoodie and my eyes widened when I saw his bare arms. He was wearing only a wife beater under.

"Do I look hot?" he laughed showing off his abs.

"Very" I said dryly "That's just a show off.”

"Let's get down to business" Taeyang rubbed his palms together.

"Yeah" I smiled, gulping the rest of the coffee.
"Okay, let's start from here," he grabbed a box.

Morning went buy fast. Taeyang took care of the entertainment, I swear he is the funniest guy I know. I forgot all about Seung Hyun, Jiyong and my new job. Taeyang my sweet angel, always managing to cheer me up.

"Are you hungry?" Taeyang suddenly asked.

I glanced at the clock and realized it was already late into the afternoon. The shop was almost empty from the books and the three men who were sent to help us were having their lunch break.

"Just a sec" I looked up "I'll take those remaining books." I reached my hand up but missed it by a few inches. Annoyed, I jumped, my fingers touching the biggest book. "Just a little further" I whispered jumping again, this time succeeding in grabbing the book.

I smiled in triumph just as the other books started falling towards me, big and heavy books.

"Look out" Taeyang grabbed my hand and pushed me aside just in time. I bumped into him, his scent and warmth hitting my skin. I felt my cheeks burning up. How embarrassing.

"You all right?" Taeyang looked down and I looked up.

"Yeah" I said in a weak voice. His hand was still on my waist and my hands were resting on his chest. My body stiffened when I realized I was staring in his eyes and he was staring back, unable to look away. Taeyang started to lean closer. Was he going to kiss me?

"This position" he whispered.

"Aish" I pushed his face away and stepped back. He was just teasing me, I could tell by the way he laughed. He didn't usually flirt, but he had his moments too.

"Let's go grab so-" I froze when I saw Jiyong. We was standing a few feet away. Just now, did he see everything? Taeyang noticed him too.

"Sorry but we are not open today." His hand left my waist and he stepped away.

Jiyong looked dryly at Taeyang and then his eyes landed on me.

"Jiyong" I said in weak voice. What was he doing here, anyway?

"You know him?" Taeyang asked looking back and forth between me and Jiyong.

"What are you doing here?"

"So it was true?" Jiyong smirked.

"Did you come here so you could make fun of me?" I asked dryly. "So are you happy to see that I lost my business?"

"No, I wished to see you miserable but instead..." Jiyong glanced at Taeyang "You seem happy?" Taeyang frowned.

"Yes, I am happy, without you around I am so happy I want to die from happiness" I said proudly.

"I see" Jiyong squinted his eyes, tearing them off me.

Throwing a quick look around, Jiyong smiled smugly. I exchanged looks with a confused Taeyang and just swept my hand in the air signaling that everything was all right and that he shouldn't pay any attention to Jiyong. Taeyang nodded, understanding.

"Should I go get you something?" he asked politely, probably thinking we need some time alone with Jiyong. The thought worried me a little. I didn't really want to fight with him anymore than necessary. Yesterday I already let him know what I felt and that was enough.

"I'll get you your favorite seafood bibinbap. Hey" Taeyang pinched my cheek bringing me back to reality.

"Yeah, okay" I said absentmindedly and he just nodded. I watched him grab his hoodie and pull it on as he walked out of the shop. I didn't necessary feel he needed to leave, I would have been more relieved if Jiyong did.

The door closed and silence fell over the room like a heavy curtain. I watched Jiyong peek in the boxes we had packed just a while ago as if searching for something.

Today his hair was messy like always, he was wearing a slim fit suit and dark purple collar shirt under it, no tie. He always disliked wearing ties. A long white scarf was wrapped around his neck and he was holding a plastic bag in his left hand. I wondered what was in the bag.

"We are not open today?" Jiyong asked emphasizing the word 'we' a lot.

"Do you have a problem with that?" I asked cheekily.

"Is that your new boyfriend?" Jiyong finally spoke. He didn't look at me, his eyes were searching for a certain book, I think. He kept peeking in all the boxes, opening a closing them again with that cute pout on his face.

"What if he is?" I asked dully "What are you looking for?" I quickly asked before he could ask any more questions.

"Hmmm, he seems like a nice guy" Jiyong said with a sigh. "I don't think you have that book here" he suddenly turned around and faced me. He looked so, so, calm. Yet there was something sad behind his eyes.

"Which book is it?"

"My favorite book" he just answered.

"Yeah, I don't think I have it here" I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "If you mean ‘The Count of Monte Cristo" Of course I got rid of it so I wouldn't be reminded of Jiyong and my dad too.

"How about David Copperfield?" he asked his eyes burning my skin.

"What about it? I don't have it either." Did he suddenly decide to change his favorite book or something?

"I guess japchae isn't your favorite food anymore either" Jiyong flashed a little sad smile. It looked like he was suddenly hurt about something.

"No, it isn't" I lied.

"Whatever. I heard you are going to start working today."

"Do I have any other choice?" I asked promptly.

Jiyong stared at me with pitying expression on his face.

"I'm a bit busy..." I said trying to hint that it would be better if he left now.

It was truly funny how awkward the situation was, we used to live together, see each other every day and talk about all sort of things but now, at this moment I felt like it would be better if I never met him again. We actually used to argue all the time too so it was kind of weird that we weren't at each other's throats yet. Yes, our relationship was full of contrasts.

"I know" Jiyong's eyes still lingered on me.

I felt them burn my skin. I pretended I didn't notice and decided I needed to get out, the tension was suffocating me. I maneuvered around the scattered books and boxes, paying little attention as I felt his burning gaze following my every move.

"Ah!"

My eyes widened as I tripped over a large book laying strategically in my way and I stretched my hands out to prepare for a fall that never happened because I fell straight in Jiyong's arms.

Slowly I opened my eyes and blinked, his hands were around me and he was looking straight in my eyes, I could feel his steady breathe on my hair. Okay, so the situation got from awkward to even more awkward. I just stared back at him, totally frozen. But he didn't move either. I felt my breathe sharpening because I kept holding it.

"What are you staring at?" I finally asked in weak voice.

"You" he answered calmly. "You have gotten old" he added, finally unwrapping his hands and letting me go. I quickly stepped a step back.

"Old? Look at yourself" I uttered a pathetic laughter which probably gave me totally out. I was feeling nervous. He was making me feel somehow strange and I could tell it wasn't a good feeling.

"Besides, why would you send Seung Hyun here?" I asked as I suddenly remembered my thoughts this morning.

"He was here?" Jiyong raised his brows looking a little surprised.

"Don't act like you don't know..."

He didn't answer and I didn't stay to listen suddenly growing indifferent to whole topic. I walked out and as soon as fresh air hit my face I took a deep breathe. I rubbed my flustering cheeks, why was I blushing?

"Dara!"

I looked up and saw Taeyang stand across the road. I waved back at him and smiled stupidly.

"See you later."

I froze realizing Jiyong was standing next to me.

"Uh, yeah..." I mumbled. He glanced at me once more before walking to his car. On his way he tossed the plastic bag in the trash bin. I wonder what was in there, don't tell me he got me japchae?

Curious, I watched his car pull away and walked towards the trash bin, picking up a stick by the pavement. I peered into the bin and poked around, only to see my favourite food in the now-dirty plastic bag.

I sighed heavily as I looked to where Jiyong’s car was.

“Hey, you okay?”

Taeyang tapped my shoulder gently as I turned around quickly, putting a fake smile on my face.

“Let’s get to work!”

His eyebrows rose, indicating he doesn’t buy the happy façade.

I gave him another smile before tossing the stick into the bin and walked ahead, very well aware of Taeyang’s gaze on my back.

 

_______________________________________________________________

 

 

In the evening I ended up standing in Seung Hyun's office in my uniform, mini skirt and sleeveless top. He walked around me nodding to himself.

"Your hair" Seung Hyun touched my ponytail.

"Eh?" I looked at him startled by his touch.

"I think a bun would be better" he slipped his hand in the pocket of his vest and took out a few rubber bands.

"What are you-"

"Don't move."

His hands sank in my hair and I felt shivers run down my spine. I liked it when someone ran their fingers through my hair, it felt good in some strange way. I smiled, I dislike holding my hair in a ponytail.

"Okay, this should do for today, do it yourself tomorrow" he nodded.

"Okay."

"Let's go, I'll introduce you to your manager" Seung Hyun smiled, walked past me and I followed the trail of his intoxicating scent. Could a guy be more perfect? Like a prince, a erted one to that.

A serious expression rested on his face as we walked and he stayed quiet. From the corners of my eyes I kept glancing at his handsome side profile and happened to glance in a mirror on the way. I gave out a small smile, how did he did my hair so perfectly?
 
Soon I was introduced to a woman who was dressed in black pants and jacket, very professional looking with her thick rimmed glasses and her hair on a tight ponytail. She was nice and explained everything about my job as a waitress.

I was apprehensive as I looked around, seeing a customer leering at a fellow waitress. Taking a deep breath, I started my shift and was surprised to find thatmost of the customers were decent, even nice. Being a waitress in a night club wasn't that bad after all. I got a lot of tips!

Suddenly someone grabbed my wrist and I almost dropped the tray from my hands.

"Come here y,” the drunk slurred, wrapping his hands around me. Was this what Seung Hyun was talking about?

"No bad publicity," I remembered him saying.
"Please, let me go" I asked softly. He reeked of alcohol. If he doesn't let me go now I will dump the entire

Please log in to read the full chapter