51.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"Pure, innocent, undying fairy tale love simply does not exist because people are too tainted, lustful and selfish" I jeered with all mockery I had left in me.

I couldn't believe I was trying to prove to a player that undying love which conquers everything doesn't exist. Shouldn't I be the one trying to prove it does? When did I become so bitter?

"I wasn't talking about fairy tale love." Mischief tugged Seung Hyun's lips in a lopsided smile.

"I was talking about real love."
 

 

 



On a hot spring day when sun was shining brightly high up in the cloudless sky, three high school boys were up to no good. One of them had climbed on the shoulders of the two and was leaning his upper body over the short stone wall. It was high enough for him to need the support of his friends but not tall enough to beat the tree that was growing a few feet away from where the boys were standing.

He squinted his eyes as he looked around trying to memorize the yard.

“Hyung, are you done yet?” One of the boys complained, he was breathing heavily and sweating a lot. Fighting to stay up under the pressure his friend's knee was giving on his shoulder.

“Hmmm, almost done” No other than our favorite troublemaker Seung Hyun was leading this silly operation. He had finally found the high school where the guy by the name Park Jiyong was attending. Today he just came to check out the school grounds so later he could sneak in.

After asking around about a lookalike guy he could find very little information so he decided it would be the best to come by himself. But this high school was dangerous for his worst enemies lurked all around. It must have been his worst luck to find something interesting in the hellhole called MNG high, swarming with middle class kids, dirty and poor, so he saw them.

You are right, Seung Hyun was known as a total snob from a super rich family. He had everything except freedom to decide about his own future, so much of a life...

“I can't take it for much longer” The scrawny guy kept complaining.

“Shut the up and it up” The other, a lot bigger, guy snapped.

Seung Hyun was ready checking the grounds when suddenly screams of girls and loud laughter caught his ears, his head immediately spun to the direction of the voices and he saw a bunch of girls playing basketball on the school court.

“You are fuking kidding me. No sh.it.” A smile curled his lips up. It was that pompous pretty girl from before. He could recognize her right away.

She was wearing her school's sports uniform, black shorts, white tee and matching sneakers on her feet, looking incredibly y like that. Her hair was on a ponytail and she was wearing a cap yet magically he had recognized her.

What impressed him she was good at basketball, really good. He frowned, how could a girl be so good? Probably a lot better than him, himself. He at basketball a great deal. This needed to be fixed as soon as possible. Seung Hyun was always up to new challenges.

She looked really happy as she played with her mates and that made her look really pretty. Again he was impressed by her tempting figure, long slender legs and bratty but not (much) annoying attitude.

He could tell she had enough self respect to never lower herself in front of a guy, unlike all other queenkas he knew. Suddenly he realized he had been smiling dreamily while watching her play, his friends were going to collapse under his weight any minute now and his heart was beating irrationally fast. This was not promising at all.

“What the hell?” he mumbled.

“Hey, let me down!” he ordered his friends, or rather slaves aka faithful followers, and was soon standing firmly on the pavement while his friends collapsed on the ground, wiping away the sweat and breathing heavily. He actually never understood why were these guys always following him but at times like these they proved useful.

Since they worked hard they deserved to be called "friends", little did they know about Seung Hyun's real friends and his double life.

Seung Hyun pat his chest and cleared his throat, he took a few deep breathes to calm his heart down and then smiled victoriously.

“There, much better” He slipped his hands in the pockets of his pants and glanced at friends, a dull look spearing on his face.

“Get up losers, let's go. I promised to buy you beers, didn't I?” he said with his hoarse voice and started coolly walking away. Sometimes he felt like he was living in a move and that made him wonder whether he was taking certain things too far. Was he maybe getting too immersed into high school life?

“Yahoo!” They guys cheered and scrambled on their feet, quickly catching up to him.

“Let's go to Sun Sun.”

“No, I know a better place.”

“How about Lee's house?”

“I like Swan more.”

“Shut up you two, we are going to Green Room.” Seung Hyun said coolly. “There is a party tonight.”

“Will there be girls?”

Seung Hyun looked at them like they were some random idiots. “If I am going there then what do you think?” he asked arrogantly. “From Seowon high.”

“Yes!” The guys high fived each other. Seung Hyun just rolled his eyes, he was too cool to be like them and probably too old too.

Even though he was wearing a high school uniform and had a baby face he was far away from being an average high schooler. Surely up until this point you must have realized he is special, right? There were some big secrets to hide. Hosting parties for high schoolers and throwing his father's money around, that was him. That's what he would have done if he had gone to high school when he was supposed to.

But no, his father had put him to work because the company was having hard times. In the end he still had to go to high school even though he was much older than the rest pimple faced idiots who knew nothing about adult life.

He was a senior, 23 years old and surrounded by kids when he was supposed to study at the university and be surrounded by hot y women, too bad he already finished many university courses while working. And why did his father put him through high school after all that still remains a mystery and probably forever will.

But life wasn't too bad, Seung Hyun was the coolest kid around. His skin was clear, his style was chic, he was self confident and always fooling around. He could afford that being from a rich family, plus he didn't need to study as hard because he knew it all already. Yes, Seung Hyun was the cool guy from Seoul High, he was the jjang of the school, a coldblooded wolf.

That's what he wanted to be remembered as, that felt right. Some high school girl would never make him blush, just a high school girl would not make his heart beat strangely, would not make him fall in love. No. It would be totally wrong. He was into more mature women, women his age. High school girls were nothing.
 

 

 


Jiyong walked calmly through the hallway of MNG High, girls all around throwing lustful gazes at him. However, he did not care about them, his mind was occupied by more important things like always. Looking as attractive as ever, he was dressed in PE uniform because that was his next class, but he still had some time left before it started and so he decided to use it to his benefit.

For a while already he had been trying to meet Eun Seung Hyun who was supposed to look exactly like him but meeting that guy proved to be more difficult than he had expected. The guy would always skip school so it was impossible to meet him at Seoul High and when he went out he'd always change locations as if he was hiding from someone.

Jiyong would hear the guy is at a certain karaoke place but by the time he'd manage to come there Seung Hyun would already be somewhere else. This cat and mouse game, he ended up playing just by himself, was absurd and took too much time from his schedule. In the end Jiyong decided to meet up with the jjang of his high school to ask about Seung Hyun and how to possibly meet this slippery fishy guy.

The Jjang was a sunbae and Jiyong thanked his luck this guy was not in Dara's class, she would have gotten curious and killed him with her endless questioning. In the worst scenario she would find out about Seung Hyun and Jiyong did not want her to meet someone who looked exactly like him but might be cooler.

What if he was totally her type and she falls in love with him? That would have been a devastating plot twist. Jiyong groaned while thinking about this, actually he got so annoyed he even scowled while scanning the classroom for the right person. And by the time he spotted four guys at the end of the classroom they all had spotted him, except one who was sleeping his upper body sprawled over the desk. When Jiyong made his way towards them he sensed the atmosphere grow rigid and uncomfortable.

“Yah, what the hell?”

“Eun Seung Hyun, how the did you sneak in here?”

“Is this some kind of sick joke?”

“Even though we all hate you with passion we haven't offended you as much as to sneak to your precious school for gifted aka for mentally and psychically challenged brainless but rich kids.” The guys mocked.

Jiyong cleared his throat. “I am sorry to inform you that you are mistaken about my identity. My name is Park Jiyong, I am from class 2 C and I am here to meet Dong Hoon sunbae. Could you please wake him up?”

The guys snickered.

“Ya” One of them poked Jiyong's forehead, being taller than him and all. “Get lost before we beat the crap out of you.”

“It was stupid of you to sneak here alone.”

“After last time-”

Jiyong slapped the hand away from his face. “Sorry but could you please keep your greasy fingers to yourself. I might get some sort of skin damage.”

“Look at this arrogant s.hit.”

“Aren't you so funny?”

Jiyong sighed again, placing his hands on his waist. “Do I need to report you guys to the school board or something before you start co-operating? I am from the student council and your records could get some serious damage. Not that they are good to star with, your parents must be embarrassed. Tsk.”

“Shut your trap” One of the guys grabbed the front of Jiyong's shirt. “What the do you want?”
Jiyong's lips parted but he was interrupted.

“And stop talking like you have a pole stuck up your as.s.”

“Fine, I shall revert to your level. Now, get that fuking dirty hand off my shirt before I put your face in a new order.”

“You wanna die?”

“Jun, hit him.”

“He is so boring he is making me fall asleep.”

“Snobbish piece of shiet.”

Jiyong sighed, he really didn't like using dirty street slang but guess he was forced to do it.

“Back off, jackas.s” he ripped the guy's hand off of his shirt and scowled at everyone. “Wake him up before I your mothers. Fuking retards.”

“What did you say?” The guys growled, starting to roll up their sleeves and jump off from the desks they were sitting on.

“Guys, relax” A sudden chuckle lightened the atmosphere, it ringed in Jiyong's ears for a long while before disappearing as mystically as it had appeared. Everyone froze in their places and heads turned at the sleeping Dong Hoon who was not sleeping anymore. He had raised his head up from his folded arms and was smirking at Jiyong.

“Why are you getting so psyched up on our student council president?”

“Huh?”

“What?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Who the hell said that?”
 

“Sorry, I mean what the hell?”

Dong Hoon sat up, stretching and yawning. “What do you want from me?” his question was directed at Jiyong.

“If it's about the dress code then you are wasting your time. And if it's about me being suspended then my question is how long is my holiday and when can I go home?”

“Sorry to disappoint you sunbae but I am here to actually ask about Eun Seung Hyun.”

“Hmmm” Dong Hoon gazed at Jiyong's pretty face, identical to his arch enemy's. “How ironic.”

The other guys were exchanging surprised looks. It seemed like these two boys knew each other from before which was quite shocking because they were total opposites. The truth is Dong Hoon sometimes played basketball in the team when they needed an extra player and that's how he and Jiyong had met. “Ask away.”

“How to meet him?”

“Chhh” Dong Hoon looked at the window and then back at Jiyong, a crafty smirk appearing on his handsome but sadly scarred face. “Do you still have the same number?”

“Yes I do.” Jiyong nodded.

“Then I'll text you when I'll know about the next fight.”

“Fight?” Jiyong raised a brow.

“Did you think we were playing chess? What else did you expect from me?”

“When it comes to you I have no expectations” Jiyong finally smiled, revealing his snow white teeth. “I'll wait for your contact. Thank you sunbae.”

“Hey, when is the next tournament?” Dong Hoon yelled after Jiyong when the latter was already walking away.

“Begins next month” Jiyong answered without turning around.

“Don't forget to include me in the best game, you know what I mean.”

Jiyong held his thumb up still not looking back and walked out from the classroom. Coolly like always, he had his own style. Cold, ignorant, bratty and emotionless. Just what he totally wasn't but he liked to keep up this image. Just for the show.

The best game you might ask? Of course the game whit the most girl audience, that's how Dong Hoon made sure he always had girls crushing on him, bringing him occasional gifts like food and giving him chocolates on the Valentine's day. Other than that he didn't really care about the girls, they were annoying with their squeaky voices and always gossiping about crazy things. Besides they didn't know how to play video games. Instead they'd lie around flipping pages of girly romantic mangas, spend their time reading fanfics or stalking their favorite idols. Creepy.

 

 


Through different sources and after some furious thinking, while placing puzzle pieces on their own places, Seung Hyun found out his supposed twin Jiyong was the captain of MNG basketball team, the most successful team around. At least the guy with his face wasn't a loser, good. But it bothered Seung Hyun a little that someone who looked like him was better than him in something.

It was a very frustrating thought so he decided he'd learn how to play basketball and stopped going around fighting other schools for a while. This was bad news for Jiyong who thought the next fight was going to be anytime soon. Turned out his head was full of pre-tournament thoughts and stress so the detective game had to wait.

The audience was cheering for the boys and Seung Hyun scowled at the people around himself bitterly. Why was his school getting so little support and why did MNG high had to host the final matches this year? He had sneaked on the unfamiliar school ground along with other audience, dressed in casual clothes, a hood and a cap covering his face. He stood out from the crowd in his hoodie because everyone else was dressed in a tee.

It was a hot day and he thought his brain would boil but he couldn't risk and reveal his face. What if someone recognized him, especially Dong Hoon. Seung Hyun did not want to cause commotion, he was there today to spy. When someone would look at him weirdly he'd lower his sunglasses and glare, it always worked. He hated it when people gave him strange glances, he actually hated it when people stared at him in general. World would be a much better place if everyone just minded their own business.

The games started and Seung Hyun sat at the back rows, eating leisurely his ice cream. As he followed the players he recognized Dong Hoon, the idiot could actually play well. Why was it that suddenly basketball was such a hot thing? There were a lot of girls cheering too, he noted.

He needed to quickly master this surprisingly y sport. Then his eyes widened I surprise when he finally saw what he wanted to see, a guy who indeed looked like himself. Fascination took over Seung Hyun and he couldn't take his eyes off the graceful figure moving around the playing field.

Yes, the guy was cool, he was mesmerizing even. Seung Hyun took off his glasses, his eyes hungrily devouring everything they could. He had to meet this guy. He felt like there would be much more in common between them than just their faces, he felt the bond at the first sight. Finally, his life was taking an interesting turn.

After the first half of the game Seung Hyun decided to slip away. He couldn't risk to be found out, the place was swarming with his enemies and there was no chance he could fight against them all and survive as a winner. Seung Hyun didn't like to fight games he'd lose for he had his face to keep, he was always pragmatic with whatever he did. Staying cool and invincible was the meaning of his life. However, on his way out he overheard an interesting conversation and couldn't help but stay behind for a while longer.

“No.”

“And why not?”

“I'm sorry, you are not my type.”

“And I am interested why are you always turning everyone down?”

“Maybe I have someone I like?”

“Is this about that boring Jiyong again?”

Seung Hyun perked his ears, a familiar female voice was arguing with a husky male voice. He walked a few steps backwards and peeked behind the corner where he saw a tall handsome boy courting no other but that strange girl who had once approached him on the street.

She was again wearing her high school uniform her skirt as short as ever. She looked delicious indeed and Seung Hyun let his eyes run up and down her attractive body. Though the chest could have been bigger... Bummer, something is always wrong. Maybe he was too picky?

“Yah let go!”

“Just one date.”

“You are being pathetic!”

“I told my friend's I'd get you.”

“I don't to gokons with losers.”

“Ouch, that hurt, babe.”

“You wanna die?”

Seung Hyun felt amused by this scene. The girl was fighting back pretty well but it was obvious she had no chances against the guy. Probably she'd go for the balls and kneel him with all the force anger would give her but that would only lead to further complications. The guy would chase her or the worst, he could never get children.

As a fellow representative of the same Jiyong saw it necessary to intervene. He walked coolly towards the couple, politely told the guy to back off or he'd smash his face in, his mysterious appearance and hoarse voice doing the trick. In the end he added the girl was with him and that the other guy had no chances.

“Who are you?”

“Prince fuking charming.”


First of all Dara bowed politely and thanked the stranger even though she found him very strange, dressed up in jeans and black hoodie on such a hot day. The guy didn't notice her thankfulness for he was too absorbed into staring arrogantly after the sunbae who had just bothered her.

Dara raised a brow, narcissist much? She couldn't see half of his face because of the shadows of his cap and his huge sunglasses, only the well defined jawline and crafty smirk on thin lips peeked out. He looked like a diva. She waited, knowing he'd say some a.ss smart comment she didn't give a Damn about.

“That's why you shouldn't shorten your skirt that much” the guy commented dryly. “y.” his smirk appeared again, now wider. “And I suggest you button up those top buttons”

Dara just smiled at him and bowed, counting to five in her head. Luckily the guy just turned around and walked away, thinking he was so smart an all.

“What a lame weirdo” she accidentally thought aloud, one of the bad habits of her. “Thinks he is cool and all... erted old man.”

Seung Hyun stopped in his tracks, then he backspaced.

“What did you just say, pretty lady?”

“Why are you wearing a hoodie on such a hot day?” she asked cheekily.

“Maybe I like to sweat.”

“Ewww, gross.”

Well, that didn't go so well, did it? Seung Hyun wanted to slap himself.

“Hey, I just saved you from that bastar.d.”

“It's more like you saved him from me” Dara said arrogantly.

“Oh really” Seung Hyun kept smirking and he crossed his arms over his chest. “Then how would you have gotten rid if him?”

“Neeh...” Dara chewed on her gum loudly. It happened that Seung Hyun couldn't stand that chewing sound and clenched his jaw in attempt to keep his outburst inside. Teenagers were acting way too arrogantly these days, someone had to teach them a lesson.

“I actually wanted to go to that gokon and just played hard to get... Girls like to be courted but...” she gazed at Seung Hyun lazily. “Old men like you must be too old fashioned to realize that. So thanks for ruining my chances.”

“You are lying” Seung Hyun scoffed.

“You are just embarrassed.”

“When I was young” Seung Hyun suddenly coughed. What the hell was he saying now and since when did he become this lame? How come handling one bit.ch was so hard?

“I mean, I am not an old man.”

Dara chuckled. “No, you must be senile.”

“Yah! What?” Seung Hyun snapped, he almost took off his glasses but knew better than to blow his covers.

“Besides you look suspicious in that attire, like some stalker who likes younger boys.”

“You are lucky I don't hit girls.” Jiyong growled.

“Your is kinda weird” Dara randomly pointed out.

“No it's not” Well that was a sensitive topic for Seung Hyun.

“The shape is...” Dara arched her neck to see better but Seung Hyun quickly angled his body so she couldn't see. For one weird minute she was trying to steal a glimpse of his and he was trying to hide it. In the end Seung Hyun was flattening himself against the wall.

“Yah, what the hell? Are you trying to ually harass me, what?”

“Chill oldie, I am only interested in good looking people” Dara winked.

Jiyong glared at her but how could she tell, there was no way. She just laughed.

“Back off bit.ch.”

“As you want bastar.d. I'm too busy anyway, to waste time on old weird men...” Dara shook her head. “But your has definitely some kind of problem.”

“Would you drop that?” Seung Hyun huffed.

“Nope” Dara smirked once more before walking away. “See you never again.”

“I hope so...” Seung Hyun mumbled by himself.

Once she was gone he quickly excited from the MNG high school's cursed property and once far enough he quickly ped his hoodie and took off his sunglasses, he was in rage.

“Unbelievable, you help a person and get bitc.hed at. What a fuking rude c.unt!” he yelled, kicking an innocent trashcan, and gaining glances from by passing people by doing so. His father was sometimes right, he did need anger management.

As soon as he was free from his anger he stuffed his sunglasses in his pants' back pocket, reminding himself to not forget to take them away when sitting down, stretched and smiled cheerily.

“What an interesting challenging bit.ch. I'm up” He stuck his hands in the pockets of his hoodie and smiled.

“Brilliant.”

And thus Seung Hyun's path to his own destruction begun.
 

 

It will be a devastating journey.
 

 

 




My wallet was in my purse and my purse in Seung Hyun's office. Great. This is what I thought about after calming down. I still sat in my kitchen staring at the mess I had created some minutes earlier.

My breathing was still unsteady and my hands trembled as frustration kept boiling inside of me. Gritting my teeth I stood up and limped to my wardrobe, throwing all my clothes on the floor. Again, there seemed to be nothing to wear. For a second I even thought about not bothering to change but then sanity took over and I ripped my dirty clothes off, tossing them into the darkest corner. After taking a shower I grabbed whatever clothes I had and dressed up.

Without looking in the mirror I was off, on my way to Paradise Kiss to get my wallet. I planned to go to the hospital after. I couldn't be alone in this state of mind, it would drive me crazy if I haven't lost my mind already.

Around 11am there was no one, not even doormen guarding the door but it was not locked. I pushed it open and sneaked into darkness of the lobby, the lights were on in the main hall. I saw Jiyong sitting at one of the tables, alone and silent, empty and half finished bottles covered the table in front of him.

He was so deep into his thoughts he didn't realize I came in but when I started walking towards him, he looked up, his empty eyes connecting with mine. He said no words and I stopped in front of him not knowing what to say myself. I was not thinking straight when making the decision to come here and face him unprepared.

“Your foot.” He finally pointed out, probably noticing how awkwardly I stood. It was a fact I had limped all my way there, it hurt like hell and I think the wound had opened. “Your injury is pretty bad, I think you should go to the hospital to check it” he said lazily as he sipped his whiskey.

“And how do you know?” Irony colored my words as I spoke.

“I think you know the answer yourself.”

I stretched out my hand towards him but he just glanced at it and ignored. “Give me my key.” I said through gritted teeth. If he was not going to explain anything to me he had no business in my apartment either. And anyway, he had no business there in the first place. Jiyong just chuckled.

“Why are you here?” he changed the subject.

“To get my purse.”

“Then take it and leave.” I noticed a serious note in his playful voice.

“I never asked you to take care of me or cook me breakfast. I don't need that.”

“Really?” He glanced at me sideways. “To me it looked that you needed someone's help, anyone's.”

“I don't need you!” My voice got an octave higher. “Why don't you get it already? I don't need you in my life.”

“I see” Jiyong smiled, lowering his gaze.

I think he wasn't taking me seriously at all and it angered me further. I felt intimidated by his superiority and it was not a pleasant feeling. He was always around but never close enough, I didn't need that. I didn't want him to be like that, I hated it.

“Jiyong, I am serious here!” I growled. “Stop being my shadow.”

If you ask me I don't need any shadows, I need the real thing. Why doesn't he understand?

“I like it how you pronounce my name” Jiyong closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, a crooked smile appearing on his lips. “I love it.”

Right then, at that very moment he was making fun of me. Like that, he was letting my heart crumble into pieces while knowing very well what it was doing to me. He has always been like that, hasn't he? Being with him, loving him, it has destroyed me little by little, since the bitter beginning.

Always having my hopes up, always giving me another chance to believe, always taking care of me, always charming me and yet... never being there where I wanted him to be. By my side.

And look at me now. I don't even believe in love anymore. Why? Because he has ruined every single fairy tale for me. Because he broke the moon, he did. And then... he left me alone, hurt and bleeding. Losing my hope in him it almost means losing my hope in love. How did I let it this madness develop so far?

I watched Jiyong sit there calmly. It's as if he was living in a completely different world from mine and I struggled to come up with any method to capture his attention, to bring him back. Words didn't seem to work so I needed actions.

Somehow it just happened, my hand moved on it's own and my palm came in contact with his cheek. I only realized I had slapped him after hearing the sound.

Jiyong opened his eyes, hurt flashing in them. He looked like a little kid who didn't know why he was being punished as he rubbed his reddened cheek.

Without a word he put his glass on the table and after giving it a short thought choose one of the bottles, quickly opening it and filling his glass with transparent liquid. I watched him drink and fall back in his seat.

“Could you now kiss me?” he asked in quiet voice.

I just stared at him, strange feelings twirling inside of me. The whole situation was so stupid. Who are we and where are we heading to? Why are we living our lives like this and who does benefit from it all? Where goes the delicate line between suffering and happiness? Who decides who can be happy and who not? Why are other people more blessed than other? Where is my luck? Where is my love? Where is my fairy tale?

I sighed, running my hand through my long hair. Maybe I should cut it and change my life? I could move out from Seoul somewhere nice and quiet, far away from this mess.

“You said there will be a happy ending, you promised.”

“It would have been perfect if...” Jiyong sighed.

“Didn't you have everything perfectly planned?” I asked sarcastically.

“Except you...”

“What?”

“Should I get your purse?” he suddenly stood up, towering over me somehow weakly.

“No, I'll get it myself.” I pushed him back in his seat. “I'll get it and I'll leave, you too don't get involved into my life anymore.”

I couldn't look him in the eye as I spoke and when I turned around he grabbed my wrist, stopping me from leaving. He is always doing stupid things, messing with my brain and heart.

If you want to get rid of me then stop holding me back!!

Let me go already!


“What?” I asked without turning around.

“Nothing.” His hold loosened and he pulled his hand away, I heard him sigh and then silence fell in the room again. It was so silent I could heart my heartbeats and his steady breathing. And why was he sitting here getting drunk all by himself? How long did he sit here, anyway? It couldn't be too long because my breakfast, it had been still warm when I woke up. The breakfast he cooked, the wound he took care of...

“YAH!” My yell ripped our silence into pieces as I spun around just in time to see him shiver from startle. His confused eyes fell on me and his lips parted, his whole bein

Please log in to read the full chapter