3.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"Can I take this off my face?" I asked when we finally stopped. That instant the jacket was lifted off my face and I saw Seung Hyun's calm face.

"Get in the car before they come out" he ordered as he got in himself. I followed quickly.

"What was that about?"

"Think" Seung Hyun chuckled.

"You are a celebrity?" I asked in confusion. I didn't watch much TV but I could still say that he wasn't any super famous celebrity.

"Well" Seung Hyun glanced at me "I happen to be rich. And..." he paused.

"And?"

"I happen to own the no. 1 club in Seoul and maybe whole Korea including the North."

"Tsh" I scoffed.

"And I am single" Seung Hyun glanced at me, winking.

"If it depends on me you will always be."

"Ouch, that hurt" he laughed.

"Why didn't you deny me being your girlfriend?" I asked. "And what was that about lady boy?"

"Well, it's fun to play games with reporters. And it's not like anyone saw your face."

"Your life must be really fun" I said sternly.

"Actually it's pretty boring" Seung Hyun shifted in his seat.
 
"Sometimes boring is better than exciting" I commented. "Wait, you are engaged?" I looked at him with wide open eyes. I sure wanted to see that woman.

"It was just a rumor. Women can't resist me and always come up with all kind of plots to get me" he chuckled. For some reason I didn't believe him.

"But they sa-"

"Don't you think I'm handsome and y?" Seung Hyun suddenly asked as if wanting to change the topic. Could he be any more random?

"No" I said narrowing my eyes at him.

"You must be lying" he laughed.

"Let's just listen to some music,” I quickly said so I won’t ask anymore questions. I could feel my aching body screaming for me to stop talking and rest in this comfortable luxury car.

"Okay" he turned the radio on.

"You can sneak as many peaks at me as you want" he joked.

"Yah-" I started to say but he turned the music so loud my voice got mixed in the music.

I glared at him but he ignored. In time I felt my eyes drooping and my head starting nodding as sleep overtook me. I sighed contentedly as I pulled the jacket closer against me unknowingly, smiling and drifting into sleep.


I popped an eye open and realized that he had parked his car in front of my apartment complex building. Trying to open my sleepy eyes completely, I rubbed them tiredly, my movement causing the jacket to slip off me. I frowned, wasn’t the jacket on Seung Hyun? I turned my head to see him looking at me with a gentle smile on his face.

"Thanks for the ride." I said as my hand reached towards the door handle, still a little groggy.

I glanced at Seung Hyun and noticed he looked really pale. Ignoring that fact I opened the door but he grabbed my wrist.

"Wait, give me migraine medicine" he suddenly requested. My body froze as I snapped to attention. How did he know about that? Did he do a background check on me or something?

"What? I don't have that kind of pain killers" I lied with a polite smile.

"Stop lying, just give me some" he whispered, clearly in pain.
"But I-" I couldn't finish because he let go of my hand and rushed out of the car. I got out too and saw him throwing up in the nearby trash bin.
 
"Are you okay?" I walked over worriedly. He looked really bad.

"Yeah, except I feel like my head is splitting apart and I see small lights everywhere" he said sarcastically. But since when did it get so bad? That means his head must have been hurting for a while now and when we were eating he didn't look sick at all.
"You have the pain killers, right?" he looked at me with hopeful eyes.

"Erm, in my apartment yes" I mumbled.

I rubbed my hand against his back, hopefully soothing him a little as he threw up again. I used to have bad migraine too so I know how bad it is to have one. Carefully, I guided him to my unit, putting my arm around his waist.

As soon as we walked in my apartment Seung Hyun kicked his shoes off and ran to the sofa, slumping on it. I glanced at his shoes lying at my feet and squatted down to put the neatly aside.

A sigh escaping my lips as I waked to the kitchen, grabbed a glass, filled it with water and grabbed the medicine along before walking back to the living room. I was a little embarrassed the place was so messy. I did clean up after the loan sharks but my place gets messy so fast because it's so small

There were many things like clothes, books and empty pizza boxes lying on the floor. A photo album was lying open on the small square table in front of the sofa and I noticed Seung Hyun was holding a picture in his hands.

"What are you looking at?"

"Medicine" he propped his upper body on his elbows and reached his hand out. I handed him the pain killers and water, glancing at the picture. It was a picture of me and Jiyong when we were kids. If I remember correctly it was taken right after we met.

"Ahhh" Seung Hyun lied on his back "Can I have a pillow?"

"Who said you could stay?" I asked shifting my eyes off the picture. But I knew it was decided already, he would stay over, it was written in the skies.

"You are going to send me home in this state? What if I get into an accident?"
 
I grabbed the picture but he didn't let go of it.

"Give it to me" he smiled.

"Why do you want it?"

"You and... Jiyong look cute together." What was that suspicious pause? I raised a brow.

"What do you mean by that?"

"What should I mean?" he answered cheekily. I see, no direct answers.

I just sighed "Fine, I'll bring you a pillow and a comforter."

When I came back Seung Hyun's coat, vest and collar shirt were lying on the chair and he was wearing only his black wife beater and pants.

"Here" I handed him the pillow first.

"Thanks" he smiled placing it on the sofa. "Damn Mc Donalds. The smell and lighting give me the worst migraine ever. I thought I would manage to bear with it but turns out I almost died. Kind of embarrassing" he complained as he lied down.

"Why did you take me there then?” I asked, feeling a little bad since I was the one eating.

"Just." Seung Hyun chuckled "I thought it would be fun."

"It turned out to be REALLY fun" I said with irony in my voice.

"Don't you like McDonalds?" he asked catching me off guard.

"When I was a kid, yes."

"I missed it too" he whispered.

"What?"

"I mean, I liked to go there when I was a kid too" Seung Hyun lowered his eyes and pulled the comforter or over his shoulders. He suddenly sounded so broken and I couldn't understand why. Why would he take me there if he knew it was going to end like this and why was he suddenly sad?

"Okay..."

"Can you turn off the lights?"

I stared at him for a minute. So he didn't notice...

"You know, I have only one room here."

"What?" Seung Hyun sat up with his eyes wide open and looked around. "Owww" He rubbed his temples closing his eyes for a moment and fell back on his side. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Where did you get these?" he asked holding up his comforter.

"The closet" I shrugged and pointed at the lonely door in the corner. My closet was pretty big, like a small room.

"Where do you sleep?" he asked dumbfound. "How can you live like this?" Judging by his face he was shocked to the point where people usually faint or start hyperventilating. I smiled a little at his reaction.

"I guess, today I will sleep on the floor" I shrugged.

"What, what?" Seung Hyun's jaw dropped.

"Usually I open the sofa, you know... It turns into a bed."

"Really? They have sofas like that nowadays?" Seung Hyun lowered his eyes and stared at the sofa, patting it here and there. "I thought that was the thing in the 90's."

"Anyway, I have my expensive tatami somewhere in the closet. I'll take off the lights now." I put a lot of weight on the word 'expensive' and Seung Hyun nodded understandingly.

"I can sleep on the floor."

"No need, just lie down before you faint" I said before walking away.

"Dara" Seung Hyun whispered, I glanced at him and he actually looked touched "You are such a nice person."

"Uh, okay. Just go to sleep or you will never recover from that migraine" I said as I went to switch off the lights.

"Do you want to sleep with me on the sofa?" he suggested while I was arranging my bed on the floor.

"Do you want to die?"

"I love you too" he chuckled.

"I hate you" I mumbled as I slipped under the covers. I'll just take shower tomorrow, I was too tired to do anything anymore. Even change clothes.

"Dara, do you..."

"What?"

"Never mind."


I closed my eyes and the room became silent, so silent I could hear my calm heartbeats. It's weird how I kind of trusted Seung Hyun and so easily. I don't know how to explain but that feeling of familiarity was overwhelming, as if we have been apart for many years and now met again. But it's impossible, I knew for sure I had never met him before.

Sleep, I need to sleep. I tried my best not to think about anything and soon drifted to sleep, unaware of someone smiling contentedly at my silhouette outlined by the moon shine. 

 

______________________________________________________________

 

In the morning I woke up with a startle. Remembering about Seung Hyun I immediately sat up and realized I was sleeping on the sofa. I looked around but he was nowhere to be seen, my apartment was dead silent.

My gaze fell over the photo album and I realized that one picture was still missing. He must have taken it. Annoyed by my own baby face I closed the album and pushed it away. How could he say I looked cute when I used to be so fat?

I stood up and stretched my body, making my way towards the kitchen. I shuffled past the coffee table and saw a yellow sticky note on it.

"Your love must have cured my migraine. Thanks for offering me a shelter. Ps. Your sleeping face is adorable." I read aloud and scrunched the paper. How dare he, calling my lovely home a shelter. An inevitable smile spread on my lips, I had to agree that despite being creepy he was kind of cute too.

My doorbell rang and it startled me. Did he forgot something? But when I opened the door I saw Taeyang's happy face.

"Surprise" his smile widened.

"Tae? What are you doing here?" I stared at him in surprise. I noted the two big paper bags in his hands.

"Can I come in?" he asked already peeking in.

"Of course" I opened the door wider and stepped aside. "Sorry, it's a bit messy" I picked up some stuff trying to hide them somewhere while Taeyang took off his shoes and placed them neatly to the side. See, this is how a real gentlemen acts when he comes to visit, not like that player who kicked his shoes all over.

"It's okay, you haven't seen my place" Taeyang laughed. He walked straight to the kitchen and put the paper bags on the table

"I brought you some breakfast, thought you might feel depressed about your store. But" he turned around and looked at me "Did someone sleep over?" Sharp guy.

"Uh, it's a... friend. You don't know her" I said flashing a fake smile and putting a lot of weight on the word 'her'.

"Great. At least you don't look depressed. Sorry I have been too busy these days, I wanted to come yesterday but couldn't" Taeyang looked apologetic.

"Why do you say so? It's nice enough you came now" I wanted to cry, that's how touched I was.

"Then, let's eat before it gets too cold" He suggested and started taking out all the food and drinks.

As I stood there like an idiot and watched him put everything on the table I noticed he got all my favorite foods and caramel latte. It's the first thing I grabbed. I never realized I missed the taste so much. And when I tasted it again I realized I had missed Jiyong as much. I sighed.

"You must really like that" Taeyang commented with a smile on his face. Do I look like I missed HIM that much? I wanted to ask but just flashed a polite smile.

"So, how have you been feeling?" Taeyang asked returning my smile.

"Yah, don't worry about me. I am all good, I even got a new part time job to earn some money"

"A job?" his eyes shifted at me.

“Um.. yep, it's a... just a simple job."

"Where? Does it pay well?"

"My friend has a company and she suggested I could work there for a while. The pay is really good."

I wasn't technically lying, right? I don't know why I couldn't say he, but Seung Hyun wouldn't mind me thinking about him as a girl, right? Technically speaking he was a girl... I don't know how I came up with that. Well, his adam's apple wasn't that visible... I suddenly imagined Seung Hyun in a top, miniskirt, tights, heels and make up on his face. YUCK! With his broad shoulders and handsome face he'd look like a drag queen.

"Dara?" I blinked realizing Taeyang was waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh?"

"What do you do there?"

"Just jobs.. So, how's your life?" I quickly changed the topic without making it too obvious, at least I tried. Or should I use Seung Hyun's tactic next time?

Confusion. I chuckled at the thought, Seung Hyun I choose you. He'd look cute as small little pokemon with confusion as his strongest power. OKAY, stop it Dara! Just stop. I imagined him as a pokemon after being a drag queen. The lack of sleep must have got to me.

I told Taeyang that I had just woken up and that's why I was acting so weird. He believed the lie. It's not like I could tell him that there is this creepy guy bothering me and that's why I was freaking out. And there was Jiyong too...



Please log in to read the full chapter