39.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

When I woke up I saw Jung Woo and his gang still asleep, snoring like fat little pigs but Seung Hyun was already gone. Not surprised I went to do my usual morning routines and changed into fresh clean clothes.

Strangely all my clothes had disappeared except a simple baby blue knee length dress that I didn't even recognize to be mine. Holding it up I wanted to suspect Seung Hyun but the dress looked too innocent to be anything bought by him so my suspicions fell on fellow nuns who definitely had something up their sleeves.

Wearing the blue dress, white ballerinas and straw hat I felt like a deadly sick, weak and very kind cliché woman from another sappy Korean movie with a heartbreaking ending. I wandered through the backyard because I was told Seung Hyun would be there helping out nun Mary do some chores.

And true enough, he was there hanging blankets to dry along with nun Mary and some girls who giggled at his jokes while stealing sneaky glances at his handsome profile. He turned them all in complete jelly with playful winks and naughty smiles. Except nun Mary of course, she just kept smiling by herself, probably finding Seung Hyun extremely adorable and lovable.

I shook my head in amusement as I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned on a tree wishing to remain in the shadows for a bit longer. His hair was as messy as ever, it was a rare sight because usually he styled it neatly with kilograms of vax and hairspray so even wind couldn't play with it. As if it was some kind of armor or something. His smiles have never looked so innocent before. That certain sleaziness, a trademark of his player image, it was totally gone like it was never there. He looked y like this too but in a different kind of way, somehow dreamy like a prince.

In black sweats, the legpants rolled up to his knees, white wife beater, an ped hoodie hanging loosely from his shoulders and red worn out slippers on his feet, he looked so incredibly simple. Screw the gangster, businessman and player. Screw them all because I get the feeling this guy in front of me, he is Seung Hyun, the real deal. And looking at him I felt jealous, I felt so Damn jealous of that bit.ch Soo Yeon.

Closing my eyes for a moment I let the wind caress my skin and sun rays kiss my face. I wish life was simple and easy. I wish I could just fall in love with one guy and stay with him for the rest of my life, be happy. And then if he dies before me and goes to heaven, maybe I could just come back here and become a nun like my grandma did.

Now I know why grandma liked this monastery so much. This heavenly place. Because...

Heaven is a place on earth.

Here, I can feel it, her presence as if she was standing beside me. I opened my eyes and this time Seung Hyun's smirking face blocked my view. He stood in front of me a few feet away, his head tilted to the side and his hands on his waist.

"What?" I asked dully.

"The sleeping Beast is finally awake."

Does that make him A Beauty?

"Go away."

"Why so grumpy?" Seung Hyun uttered a laughter.

"I happened to see your donkey face and it ruins the scenery" I almost smiled but managed to keep straight face.

"And what would make you feel better?"

"Of course, removing that face outta my sight" I said proudly.

"I bet you are just jealous after seeing me have fun with all the pretty girls" he joked.

"They are like from 10 to 14 years old..."

"Don't be a jealous Beast, come help us hang the blankets" Seung Hyun grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards the others. Who's jealous? Tsh...

"So, when is Jiyong coming?"

Surprisingly Seung Hyun immediately let go of my hand, startling me a little.

"He said something about the afternoon" he spoke enthusiastically.

"I see" My eyes narrowed at his hands that were now safely hidden in the pockets of his pants. Interesting...

"You can't wait to see him, huh?" he asked playfully. I looked attentively at his smile, deep in his eyes. "What?"

His smile was genuine, even his eyes turned into crescent shapes but the spark was so weak. Part of me thought that maybe, just maybe he didn't want the afternoon to ever come.

"Say, if you could, would you stop time?" I asked randomly, anticipating for his answer.

"No" he glanced at me. "If I could, I would fast forward it."

"Until when?" I raised a brow.

"Until a happy ending" he smiled somehow sadly and ruffled my hair. "Sometimes I get impatient too."

"And what kind of happy ending is waiting for you?" I inquired, getting interested in the topic.

"Happily ever after" he sighed.

I looked at him dully. "You are so boring."

"Am I? Well, let me tell you something. If I could get anything, do you know what I would wish for?"

"Tell me."



"I want to have always but I need nothing."



"That's your only wish?" I looked at him weirdly.

"Along with never ending wealth, y women for every finger on my hands and-"

I slapped his arm. "Whatever, what about your happy ending?"

"Would you like to be my forever?" he flashed a flirtatious smile.

"Screw you" I mumbled.

"Tsham, did you know that last night we shared a bed?" Seung Hyun suddenly asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"We what?" I shrieked and slapped his arm away. "What do you mean?"

How come I never noticed?

"You wouldn't let go of me, so cuteeee." His smile widened and I thought it would rip his face.

"How dare you take advantage of me while I am asleep?" I yapped. "What if someone saw?"

"I bet they thought we are such a cute... family." Seung Hyun rubbed his lower lip.

"Family?"

"Family of animals" he chuckled. "A donkey, a cat and four little pigs."

"That's one messed up family" I chuckled.

"Imagine how that combination sounds like while asleep."

"Are you hinting I snored?"

"Not only you, it was a whole concerto. Look at my skin, it's getting bad because of lack of sleep."

I gave him one of my dull looks.

"So you agree? Maybe we should do facial masks again?"

"You are crazy..."

"In a bad or a good way?"

"Leave me alone" I turned away from him. "You probably snored the loudest after falling asleep."

"I don't snore, I murmur cutely."

"Yeah, sure. Gayboy" I laughed in his face.

"Sandara Park watch your language" nun Mary scolded. Seung Hyun stuck his tongue at me and I shook my fist at him, momentarily forgetting about everything else. Once again he had changed the topic so very successfully.

Nun Mary told me she had promised to take the kids eat lunch at a certain Chinese restaurant that opened not so long ago at the village. Now she suggested for me and Seung Hyun to take the van and bring them there. I didn't want to agree but no one asked my opinion, anyway.

You see, when nun Mary suggests something it's an order. Besides, Seung Hyun was there to promptly agree.

Imagine this. A hippi van, greatest hits of the 90's, a sunny day, sand road, bunch of yelling kids and wonderful scenery of never ending flower fields and grape wine plantations. The only thing ruining my experience was naggy Seung Hyun who wouldn't drive faster than lousy 50km/a hour. I know he has some issues but please, it's not like adding some 30 km more speed would be a problem. Besides, he is such a perfectionist and bossy, no drinking or eating in the car, no screaming too loud, no moving around.

No one was allowed to leave the car when he went to buy the food. According to him it would be more fun if we buy take away and go on a picnic. And he was bossing me around like any other kid. I change my opinion about him being y, he is a nazi, totally. But I guess this way he took whole responsibility on his own shoulders.

He handed us all a lollipop to make waiting for food more enjoyable but he also warned that if he finds any sticky stains anywhere in the car he'd make us whole car until it's clean again. The looks on kid's faces were worth seeing.

They debated whether they should unwrap the lollipops at all, to what Seung Hyun replied: "It would be better if you didn't because sugar makes teeth rot." What an evil nanny.

I secretly watched him while he drove. His black cap threw a shadow over his face and once in a while he'd glance over his shoulder to scold someone for cursing or being too loud. When some kids got into an argument he'd randomly ask them to sing or tell about their favorite animal. How smart.

The kids cheered happily when Seung Hyun finally parked the van and opened the door telling them they could now have all the fun they wanted. But before that he put them all in a row and recited all the rules about behaving themselves, respecting the surroundings and taking care of each other.

Glancing at his wristwatch he announced they would have exactly two hours time to roam around and then he pointed at the huge wall clock on the barn's door explaining how it looks like at 2 o'clock, because some kid's still didn't know how to read the time. Then he added that anyone who's late shall be left behind and stay on the farm as a slave.

At that point a man approached us and Seung Hyun promptly introduced him as such slave on which the man surprisingly agreed. Everyone was convinced.

It turned out Seung Hyun somehow knew the owner of the farm and while I was giving out the food he pulled the man to the side. From what I overheard they were talking business. Now the mystery of Seung Hyun appearing at Am Saeng was solved, though I still wondered why didn't he drive his car.

Even if he wasn't sure of the location he could have used the GPS... Wait, if he knows the farm owner he should know the orphanage too... Suspicious.

After a long talk Seung Hyun finally introduced me and the owner of the farm. A middle aged man with short beard and bear belly, dressed into black overalls, boots and a torn cap. He seemed like a jelly good buddy but apologized for being too busy and left after exchanging a few words. Soon we saw him drive away in his tractor with Jung Woo and his pose sitting on the trailer amongst hay bales, on their way to feed the cows. How random...

"So, mind telling me the story behind you knowing the owner of this farm?"

I sat across Seung Hyun on the wooden bench and placed what was left of the food after the kids had eaten on the table. A huge sunshade protected us from hot and strong sun rays but I could see a slight tan cover Seung Hyun's arms already. His skin must be extra sensitive. What a princess.

"It's a long story" he grabbed his chopsticks and started eating, shoving everything in his mouth like he hadn't eaten for days. I guess he won't tell me anything.

"Say, yesterday why did you walk to the monastery from the village instead of taking a taxi?"

"It was a nice day and the scenery is mind blowing. Besides, just some eight kilometers are nothing. Took me about a hour."

"How do you know it is eight kilometers?"

"I asked" he answered lazily. Always prepared. I see.

"But why were you so tired?" I looked carefully at his carefree face. Today he looked a lot better, yet shades of tiredness were still visible.

"Lately, I haven't been able to sleep well" he shrugged.

"I think that walk did me some good" he grinned, his eyes concentrated on the food only. As if I was just some voice speaking from above, without an actual body.

I picked up my chopsticks and started eating. For a while we stayed quiet and I occupied myself by watching the kids goof around and run away from angry mob of gooses while a small dog was running around them all and yapping happily. I smiled by myself and then shifted my gaze at Seung Hyun who was staring at me.

"What?" I flinched, a little disturbed by his weird stare.

"Nothing" he shifted his eyes away and resumed eating.

"There is something on my face, right?" I asked dryly. "And you were planning on making me look stupid by not telling me about it."

"Hmmm" he mumbled. "I think I am full" he suddenly announced flashing me one of his charming smiles.

"I'll go play with the kids or something" he quickly stood up and walked away before I could say another word. Suddenly he seemed to be a little moody. What is this business he has with the farm owner?

"What the hell?" I asked mostly myself. He is suddenly acting suspiciously weird.

After eating and lazing around, wisting the pigs and getting annoyed after finding too many similarities between myself and them, I finally went to look for Seung Hyun. Someone told me he had been seen in the barn a while ago so I went there.

No trace of Seung Hyun, just kids going crazy in the hay bale storage. That gave me a shock because they were literally messing up the whole place but then one of them announced Seung Hyun aka nazi wolf had given them permission to play. I had a clue about who might have come up with the nickname...

In the end I found Seung Hyun at the horse pen. He was leaning on the fence and stretching his hand out to pat a handsome gray horse that was staring back at him with his big most eyes and moving his ears, a little cautious. He flinched a little feeling Seung Hyun's light pat but didn't go away, just stood there staring around. God, horses look so stupid...

"You said you would be playing with the kids" I spoke softly as I stopped next to Seung Hyun.

"Geez, scaring me so suddenly" he shuddered upon hearing my voice. It was kind of unlike him to be so unaware of the surroundings but I guess he was too concentrated on the horse which was already walking away from us.

"Look, you scared him away" Seung Hyun faked a sad look which didn't look fake at all.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" I leaned my folded arms on the fence too.

"Thinking" his voice was soft and tender and he smiled his mysterious smile while staring in front of himself, somewhere behind the horizon. Why do I get the feeling he knows what's behind it?

"About what?" I asked lazily.

"You, my love."

"What?" I turned my head at him but all he did was wink playfully.

"No seriously..." I mumbled giving him one of my super dull looks. He just smiled happily. And here I thought he was feeling sad or something.

"The man who owns this farm used to be a businessman" he leaned his back against the fence and placed his elbows over it. "He was really successful, with a business better than our family business could ever be and ours is good, trust me" A proud smile spread on Seung Hyun's lips and he looked so conceited I wanted to hit him.

"He used to be the richest man around, knew everyone and everyone knew him. People were looking up to him and many came to seek for his advices about many different things. He never failed to help them and his good reputation kept growing. There was no end to it. It was estimated that his wealth would keep growing for more than 50 years after he dies even if his successor went bankrupt"

Seung Hyun paused for the longest time and just stared in front of himself with a frown on his face.

"Then how did he end up on a farm like this? How does he even know how to do jobs around here if he used to be some glamorous businessman?" I asked warily.

"He had everything" Seung Hyun whispered. "Can you imagine, everything he wanted, he got it. Anything."

"Let me guess. He never got any good friends or love because it couldn't be bought with money?" I asked idly. "Then he became depressed, lost his business and ended up as a bum in this small village? Same ol' story..." I kicked a pebble with my foot, how boring.

"No, in fact, even love can be bought with money" Seung Hyun tore his eyes off the distant apple tree he had been staring at for past five minutes and looked at me. "Trust me."

"No buddy, love can't be bought with money" I insisted.

"So, do you have any money on you now?"

"Nope" I shook my head.

He took a few bills from his pocket and handed them to me. "I'll show you what kind of love can be bought" he smirked playfully. "Let's pretend you want to buy some love from me."

"Uh, okay" I gave him a weird look.

"Are you ready?"

"Okay Mr. Playboy" I chuckled. "I have 2 thousand won on me, how much love can I buy with that?"

"Let's see" he pretended to be all business and counted the money. He even checked against the sunlight to make sure the bills weren't forged. "So, what kind of love do you prefer?"

I shrugged.

"This is a business deal, you need to give me preferences."

"Fine. Let's say..." I rubbed

Please log in to read the full chapter