15.

The Moon is Broken
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Think about your childhood.
Fairy tales... weren't they real to you back then?
If you say no you are a liar.

And because the princess believed the frog was the prince,

because she believed in what her heart was telling her,

that's why she got her prince.



It's so simple.




The chiffon layer dress Jiyong bought me was rather simple, with narrow stripes and small white bow tied just under my chest, on the left side. I thought I looked rather plain without jewelry so I wore white pearl necklace, matching earrings and white pearl bracelet. My hair was curled and swept into a low, soft bun, a few strands were left to frame my face. My make up was very light because I like it simple and natural. All in all I was very satisfied with the outcome. If nothing else the dress was expensive French design.

When Jiyong came to get me I slipped my feet into white stilettos and put on my red trench coat. He commented I looked rather simple and he sounded awfully disappointed.

I glared at him but realized his face was slightly flustered and he couldn't take his eyes off me so he probably was trying to compliment me but failed. Geez, what an idiot. Would it hurt him to admit even once that I am pretty and y?



"Shall we get in?" Jiyong tapped my shoulder.

"Huh?" I glanced at him and realized I was spacing out.

"Let's go" he chuckled and grabbed my hand. "Be a good date now." He was suddenly in really good mood. How suspicious. Looking at him dully I linked my arm with his and he pulled me closer.

"Hmm, you smell nice."

"You don't."

"So childish..."

"But Daesung doesn't have a date" I pouted "I'll be your date too" I was about to grab his hand when Jiyong pulled me away.

"Tonight" he flashed a charming smile "You are mine."

I blushed a little at his comment "Yah, stop it" I smiled meekly.

"I didn't mean it in any romantic way" he teased.

"I know you did" I smirked.

"In your dreams maybe."

Feeling a little playful I planted a kiss on his cheek and saw him blush. "See."

"Stop it" he whispered sounding a bit tense.

"Isn't he cute?" I asked Daesung who was looking at us with gentle smile on his lips.

"You two look perfect together" he held a thumb up.

"We only look perfect, nothing more to that, trust me" I chuckled.

Jiyong looked simple too, he was wearing black slim fit suit and white shirt. But his outfit matched mine perfectly. Daesung had on dark blue suit and baby blue shirt with matching tie.

I suddenly realized Jiyong actually cut his hair. It was that infamous shaggy dogg style, short on the sides and spiked in front, he looked a little bit older compared to his previous over grown messy hair. Daesung's hair was as short as usual, he didn't even need to style it.

A doorman opened the door for us and we were greeted by the servants, three women and three men stood in rows on the both sides, women on the left and men on the right, they all bowed at the same time. And while I was staring they took our coats and someone instructed us to go further.

I never imagined I would get to attend a party like this and that it would be Jiyong who'd take me. We are talking about that whiny loser who used to stir problems in our neighborhood, that good for nothing, you could even say "human trash" Jiyong.

I glanced at him in disbelief while we walked deeper in the mansion. He looked lazily somewhere ahead, his lips forming a straight line. He didn't look that happy being here. Daesung again had that usual carefree expression on his face. I got this feeling he is always happy, no matter what. How admirable.

The doors opened and we stepped in the festival hall, that's what I'd call it because it was huge. Big, beautiful and sparkling chandelier hung from the high ceiling lighting the whole room. Creamy colored curtains fluttered a little in weak wind and I noticed the doors to the balcony were slightly open.

The room was full of well dressed rich and important people, the air was rather aristocratic and sopihisticated making me feel a little awkward. In the far corner I saw tables with food and secretly though that's where I was going to spend my evening, like Bridget Jones, heh... The walls were decorated with beautiful paintings and a few portraits, the furniture was western style, all antique items and there was a white grand piano in one of the corners. My fingers itched to play it, I missed playing the piano so much, but maybe not here...

A quartet was playing classical music next to the piano, waiters walked around handing out champagne and small fancy snacks. Quiet murmur filled the room, mixing with the music into a smooth, low and pleasant background noise. Truthfully speaking I wasn't even that surprised about all the fanciness, I expected at least this much.

We finally spotted Bom standing next to a table that was full of presents and Seung Hyun stood next to her, in white suit with vest and black collar shirt, his tie was red to match Bom's long silky dress. He smiled his usual smile but for some reason it looked really fake to me. Then my attention concentrated on something else, Seung Hyun's hair.

"B-b-blond?" I asked in disbelief.

"Doesn't hyung look good with his new hair?" Daesung asked happily.

"Do you have something to do with this?" I narrowed my eyes at Jiyong.

"I dared him to do that, ha, never expected he'd really do it" he chuckled in answer and I rolled my eyes.

"But I think he looks good" Daesung tilted his head to the side. "Nuna?"

"Guess, he does" I shrugged "But blond?"

It suited him surprisingly well. So there is no way he looks 29 now. No freaking way. I'd say he looks rather 20 or then he is just blessed with good genes and happens to look 9 years younger than he actually is..

As we walked closer, an older man Bom was talking to left and Seung Hyun leaned closer to whisper something to her ear. She covered with her left hand and I saw her eyes turn into half moon shapes, she laughed.

Then they both noticed us and Seung Hyun's smile widened a little, I saw from his eyes, there was nothing fake in his smile anymore. His eyes suddenly became crystal clear like a blue wide sky without a single cloud.

"Happy birthday, agasshi. Here, for you. I hope you like them." Daesung handed his present and flowers to Bom and she accepted them with a smile on her lips.

"Thank you." She motioned for him to lean closer and as he did so planted a quick kiss on his forehead "I appreciate it that you came, ohmma missed you" she said in quiet voice and nodded to a certain direction.

My eyes followed Daesung's head and I saw an older woman in a wheel chair. She looked like she had gone through something really awful, her hair was gray and her posture slouched, there was no trace of happiness on her already wrinkled face. I could tell she used to be as beautiful as Bom is now but... I frowned wondering what could have made her look so miserable as I watched Daesung walk towards her.

"Jiyong ah~" Bom's vice softened and when I shifted my gaze at her she looked very pleased with the fact Jiyong was here.

"Yeah yeah, here" he handed her the flowers. "I assume you got the present earlier, though I don't really care even if you never got it." His voice was cold and indifferent. I elbowed him in the side and he shot me a dirty look.

"Happy birthday" I smiled my best smile but Bom ignored me, instead she kept smiling at Jiyong. Okay, I know she doesn't like me but does she have to be rude? I swallowed that sour look that threatened to spill all over my face.

"Don't worry. I got it and I like it a lot. I am also very happy to see you attend my birthday party for once."

"Whatever" Jiyong said dully.

"Bom, it's been a while" someone exclaimed.

"Excuse me."

I watched her walk to a very fancy looking couple and they started chatting.

"So annoying" Jiyong mumbled.

"Must you always be so rude?" I slowly shifted my gaze at him.

"Did you just see what she did to you?" he raised his brows.

"I don't really care" Shifting my gaze off him I shrugged, acting indifferent. Though, deep in my heart I felt pretty touched for him caring.

"You stupid woman" he poked my forehead.

"You can't do that at a party like this" I nagged and unlinked my hand from his, wondering why didn't I do it earlier?

"I can do whatever I want, where ever I want."

"You are acting like a little kid right now."

"And you-"

"Bickering like always..."

We both looked at Seung Hyun who stopped next to me, across Jiyong.

"Tsk, tsk" he clicked his tongue as his eyes stopped at Jiyong's tie. "Hubby can't do anything right without me."

"One millimeter here or there" Jiyong said lazily while Seung Hyun corrected his tie and pat his chest.

"That makes a huge difference, right?" he smirked at me.

"Your hair..." I said like a retard.

"You like it?" he blew a few strands of hair off his eyes.

"Please don't do that ever again" I mumbled shifting my gaze off him. That reminds me of Coffee Prince drama and all those romantic moments...

"What? This?" he blew his bangs again.

I want to kiss you... I blinked, no, I mean. I tried really hard to make my face not to turn red from embarrassment and when my gaze caught a bypassing waiter I grabbed a glass of champagne and quickly downed it. It's almost as if the player knew my secret weakness.

"Your reaction sure is interesting" Seung Hyun winked.

"Stop flirting with her" Jiyong slapped his head. "She is mine today."

"But she is mine forever" Seung Hyun smirked wider than before.

"What the he.ll is that supposed to mean?" I coughed on the champagne.

"That means, I can do whatever I want with you" Seung Hyun pat my back "Don't die yet. I want to marry you off first."

"You are going crazy, slowly but surely" Jiyong rolled his eyes "So, did he come by yet?"

"Not yet" Seung Hyun suddenly turned serious "He is late."

"I bet he is shaking in his pants from the thought of seeing you here."

"You know they will come together. After what happened last time he won't dare to show his conceited a.ss here, not alone" a mocking smile spread on Seung Hyun's lips. "I got him good, huh?"

Jiyong smiled too and they both got lost in their own little world again, ignoring me completely. I stopped listening because I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Letting my gaze wander around the room I saw Daesung talk to Bom's mother. That was more interesting than two conceited jerks and when I saw Daesung go get a glass of water I walked towards him.

"Daesung, is that woman Bom's mother?" I asked quietly.

"Yes, she is really nice. Come, I'll introduce you to her" he grabbed my hand.

"But I am not sure if it's okay" I hesitated.

"Don't worry, she will like you for sure." he pulled me along and dragged towards the older woman. I saw K stand behind her as if protecting her from some unknown danger.

"Omunim, let me introduce Park Dara" Daesung smiled brightly as we stopped in front of her.
"Good evening" I bowed.

Her eyes, deep like ocean, inspected me from head to toes and a friendly smile tugged her lips up. Up close she looked even more wretched, everything about her was so sad and melancholic I wanted to cry but I managed to keep the smile on my lips. Despite everything, she looked very kind when she smiled.

"She is Jiyong's step sister, that's how I know her."

"Step sister?" the woman raised a brow. Her voice was melodic and beautiful, she perked up "He has a sister?"

"We are not blood related but we grew up together" I explained feeling a little nervous.

Realization hit her and she remained speechless for a little while.

"You are" her gaze shifted at Daesung "She is that Dara?"

"Uh huh" Daesung nodded "It's her."

I directed my questioning eyes at Daesung but he pretended not to notice my confusion. Why the heck does everyone know me when I don't know anyone?

"Child" Bom's mother suddenly grabbed my hand "You definitely haven't deserved any of that. Never blame yourself for anything."

"What?" I asked in surprise.

"Omunim, you can't tell her anything" Daesung placed his hand on Bom's mother's shoulder and flashed me an apologetic smile "That would be unfair."

"Was it Jiyong who did it? Was it? He promised he wouldn't." She frowned. "That good for nothing..." When she got a little irritated she sounded younger than she looked like.

"Yes, it was him."

"Hmph" she shook her head disapprovingly.

"But at least now you have met her personally" Daesung sounded strangely cheery. "You really wanted to meet her, right?"

"Yes, yes" she nodded "Dara, you look very beautiful. I like your dress and your hairdo" the look in her eyes softened. "The simpler the more beautiful."

"Thank you very much" I nodded slightly, feeling so Damn flattered.

"Is this your first time to attend a party like this?" she wanted to know.

"Yes it is and I am feeling a bit nervous."

"I remember myself, when I was young and had to attend these parties, I know how you feel. But don't worry, you have Daesung here to take care of you" she glanced at him "You better keep your eyes on her and make sure she doesn't feel lonely."

"Of course, omunim. That's why I am here and to keep company to you too."

"Forget about an old woman like me when you have a young lady to entertain. Why don't you two go and have some fun?"

"Well then, do you you want me to bring you anything?"

"Aish, you little prince! K is here to take care of me and he will get bored if you keep doing his job for him."

"Exactly, shrimp" K uttered a soft laughter, his voice was gruff but he smiled warmly and his scary face wasn't as scary anymore.

"Omunim, I care a lot about you too" Daesung pouted cutely "It's been a while we saw each other."

"We will have plenty opportunities to talk" she glanced at me "So beautiful" she sighed "Your future husband will be lucky. You look smart too."

"No, not at all" I quickly denied "I'm just your average woman, there is nothing special about me."

"If only you knew..." she sighed and lowered her gaze "If only you knew... If you never existed in this world, I would have lost a lot."

Daesung let out a saddened smile and I felt like an idiot because I didn't understand what she was talking about.

"I must thank you!" She grabbed my hand again. "Thank you very much." Her eyes found mine and she looked truly thankful not bothered by my confused look.

"But for what?" I breathed out in confusion.

"For being born, for living on, for growing up to be healthy, polite and beautiful. You deserve every ounce of happiness and good luck. You don't even have an idea... It's..."

"Omunim" Daesung cleared his throat "You made a promise."

"I know, this is just so hard" she shifted her gaze off me but didn't let go of my hand "After all that to choose to stay silent. How much torture...? When will it be enough? My heart aches to see everything turn out like this. The pain, I can't even imagine how strong it must be."

"I know" Daesung nodded "Just a little bit longer and everything will be over."

"It's been years. Years of torture and I get this feeling nothing will be over anytime soon. I wish our Dara could put an end to it all. Just like-"

"Omunim" Daesung said through gritted teeth trying to sound angry.

"Before something happens and we start regretting again. No one wants to get through that."

"You can't be so negative on Bom's birthday. You promised to smile" Daesung nagged "She will be upset of she sees you like this."

"I know" Bom's mother rubbed her forehead "Forgive me" her saddened eyes landed on me "Just looking at you makes me feel at ease."

"I... I..." I didn't know what to say.

"Look, you made nuna feel confused and awkward."

"Forgive this old silly woman" she uttered a laughter.

"No problem, it's okay" I flashed a clumsy smile.

The look in her eyes suddenly sharpened and her whole body stiffened. She shifted in her seat and straightened up. Daesung looked somewhere behind me too and I saw him bit his lower lip while his hands squeezed into fists. Feeling curious I glanced over my shoulder too and saw two men greet Bom.

"They are finally here" I heard Bom's mother whisper.

An older man in brown suit hugged Bom and handed her a present, he looked older than 50 years old, I couldn't quite tell how old exactly. And then it was his companion's turn, he hugged her longer and tighter and judging by the way Bom pulled away from his hug she didn't enjoy it at all.

Seung Hyun was by her side and she grabbed his hand as soon as the greeting was over. Jiyong stood on her other side with his hands crossed over his chest and eyed the men with cold look in his eyes.

They talked about something for a while and then Seung Hyun pulled Bom away. Jiyong exchanged a few words with the men with such hateful expression on his face I could tell he hated them both to the core.

My heart beat faster when I saw those two, definitely unwanted, guests make their way towards us. Daesung quickly pulled me to his side and never let go of my hand. The closer the men came the harder he squeezed and when I glanced at him I could tell he was fighting hard to keep all his anger inside. Bom's mother had this dry look on her face and K looked all serious and scary again.

"Well, well well" the man in brown suit stopped in front of us. His hair was on a tight ponytail and a stubble of beard covered his chin. He looked very fit for his old age and a lot healthier and happier than Bom's mother. His eyes filled with malice and his thin lips curled into a mocking smile. The other man was young, about my age. In his black suit and deep red collar shirt he stood behind the older man with confident look on his face. They both ignored me, Daesung and K and their mocking attention concentrated on Bom's mother only.

"You look well to me. Did you get that wheelchair to make yourself look pitiful in front of me?" the older man asked his voice full of venom.

"If you have greeted our child then you should leave" Bom's mother said dryly.

"How long are you doing to keep playing this game with me?"

"This is not the place to discuss such issues."

"Regarding to you it's never the right place."

"You should leave before you create problems for yourself." Bom's mother threatened coldly.

"Tsh" he scoffed in disbelief "You haven't changed at all. Just because you once won... it means nothing."

"It's her birthday, for God's sake. Leave her alone at least for one day."

"I was surprised when the wedding was canceled. Are you getting soft and weak?"

Bom's mother stayed quiet for a while and eyed the younger guy with disgust in her eyes. I was actually surprised that after that soft side she had this cold and intimidating one. Heck, if she is Bom's mother she is probably a gangster too. I glanced at the man wondering if this was Bom's father then? Her parents are like a day and night.

"Even Seung Hyun is a better choice" Bom's mother scoffed. "This guy, I never approved of him." She eyed the younger guy again, with utter disgust in her eyes.

"No one needs your approval. Once you are dead I will get my way" he said heartlessly and I gasped silently. How could he? Feeling Daesung boil from anger beside me I realized I was getting angry too.

"You will have to wait for a long time then..." Go Bom's mother!

"You traitor" the older man hissed, suddenly getting angry. "When I gave her to you I never approved of you getting Jiyong too."

"You gave her to me?" Bom's mother scoffed "My lawyer happened to be better than yours. That's all. And whatever Jiyong decides doesn't depend on me."

"Tsh, I get different feeling. Besides, it's your fault my son died, you..." the man bit his lips together in anger. "I never agreed to this. I am warning you. My patience is slowly fading away."

"What can you do? Haven't you been running after our Jiyong and Seung Hyun for years? How much more pathetic can you get?" Bom's mother uttered a mocking laughter. "Is life getting hard?"

"Do you really want me to get serious about this? You want me to throw their dead bodies at your feet? Would you be happy only when you smell their blood? Is that what you want?"

"Try doing that, I know you won't be able to. No when it comes to Jiyong." A cunning smirk spread on Bom's mother's lips.

"You are so sure about that..." a mocking smile lingered on the man's lips "You must have been so proud of yourself back in the days. You wicked witch! To come up with something like that..."

"You deserved it, I told you to stop but did you? I find it ironic I am asking you to stop again. Aren't you even a bit worried what I might do to Jiyong while you are hiding, unable to do a thing?"

I shivered hearing her words. Isn't she supposed to be on our side? Why do I get this feeling they are using Jiyong and Seung Hyun as pawns in their dirty game?

"Aren't you even a bit worried what I might do to you?"

"I can make it look natural." Bom's mother said indifferently. Not intimidated by the man's anger.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Watch me."

"How many times can a person be brought from death's gate? A human body has it's limits and at some point too much will be too much. You won't be able to fix it anymore and... What will you do when you lose everything along with him? I can take out my gun and send a bullet through his head right now and there will be nothing you can do but to watch and cry."

"You know you will have to die then too."

Suddenly I felt a tug on my hand and Daesung pulled me away from these angry people. I couldn't take my eyes off their fearless and cold faces.

I slumped on the wooden bench and brought my confused eyes at Daesung who paced back and forth in front of me. On the way out he had grabbed a bottle of wine from the table and I watched him to try open the bottle.

"Shi.t, I'm so freaking pissed right now. How dare he pick a fight with her after all that?" he muttered by himself "Aish" with his trembling hands he didn't seem to be able to open the bottle. Why do they have to get involve dinto this? So annoying!"

"Let me do it" I said calmly and grabbed the bottle from his hands. "Will you tell me what in the world just happened? And old sick woman suddenly turned into a gangster in front of my eyes, like it was magic."

"Nuna, she is not a gangster she is a lawyer."

"Lawyer?" My eyes darted up.

"Well, now she has retired. As you could see her health is not very good anymore."

"And that man, is he Bom's father?"

Daesung nodded.

"He is a gangster?"

Daesung nodded again.

"What? Her parents are a gangster and a lawyer?"

Now, this is getting really messed up.

"She used to be a detective/prosecutor when she was young but after they divorced she became a lawyer."

"Are you pulling my leg now? A prosecutor got married to a gangster and they got a kid?!" My jaw dropped as I stared at him in disbelief and utter shock. Where is this world going to?!

"She was working undercover a lot and then she met Si.. th-"

"Sil Jang?" I gasped.

"I did not tell you that just now" Daesung suddenly turned pale.

"Sil Jang is her father?" I sprang on my feet. "Are you kidding me" my hands grabbed Daesung's blazer and I shook him "Are you making fun of me?"

"Shhh, don't scream..." Daesung brought his index finger to his lips.

"That Sil Jang who wants Seung Hyun dead? That Sil Jang who almost killed Jiyong?"

"Yeah" Daesung lowered his eyes "That Sil Jang."

"Bom's mother went to work undercover, infiltrated in Sil Jang's gang and actually even married him and gave birth to Bom and... Oh my GOD! This is so shocking, so sick, so disturbing" I grabbed my head "What the he.ll is going on?"

"Nuna, calm down" Daesung sighed "Sit down, I can explain."

"You better do" I growled as I let my body fall back on the bench and I covered my face with my both hands not wanting to believe anything anymore.

"She wanted to save him, Sil Jang. She really wanted to help him because she fell madly in love with him but... People don't change just like that and some people never change. He didn't want to change so she couldn't save him, instead he pulled her into hell. Guess how old Bom's mother is."

"I don't know, she looks like she is over 60 years old" I shrugged.

"53"

"What?" My eyes widened in surprise "But, but..."

Daesung gave me a long and somehow stern look "Nuna, what did you expect loving a gangster would bring her except misery? You can't even imagine what she had to go through to get away from him. And after that it took her years to get Bom away too. She had to leave her in order to save her. If not Jiyong's help Bom would still be by Sil Jang's side."

"Jiyong? How did he help her? What about Seung Hyun, I though he is the one who loves Bom?"

"I told you, Jiyong and Bom used to date long ago."

"What happened?"

"Something, and then things turned out like this" Daesung said sounding desperate and took a long gulp from the wine bottle.

"What happened?" I frowned.

"I can't tell you" he simply answered.

"Come on" I whined "Can't you tell at least something."

"Well" Daesung flashed an apologetic smile "I'm sorry nuna, there are some things that are better to forget."

"Then, just now they were talking about Jiyong and Seung Hyun. What was that about?"

"I told you, they both used to be involved into gangster world but I can rest assure you everything is over."

"Yeah, and what about racing Dong Wook and all the fighting?"

"They are not gangsters and will never be again. They both know how disgusting it is. Besides, they weren't real gangsters, anyway."

"What is that supposed to mean? Why does Sil Jang want Jiyong so bad?"

"So he can kill him" Daesung said indifferently.

"Yah" I looked at him my face turning pale "What did you just say?"

"He wants to kill them both, really bad."

"You told me it isn't so serious about Jiyong anymore. You said it's Seung Hyun they want. But after I heard that discussion it seems like the one they want dead so badly is Jiyong. Don't tell me you lied?"

Daesung sipped from the bottle again "It's because things are very complicated."

"You don't really want to tell anything, eh?" I grabbed the wine bottle from Daesung's hand and drank from it "This is pretty good. Must be expensive... And who was that young guy?"

"Oh that..." a mocking smile spread on Daesung's lips "It's someone Sil Jang's wants to marry Bom to but I don't think he will succeed."

"Is that why Bom and Seung Hyun can't get married?" I inquired.

Daesung sighed "If not Sil Jang's meddling they would be married already. It's a bit hard to get married when bride's father wants your a.ss dead, you know." He let out a soft chuckle. "As long as Sil Jang is alive it will be hard for them to be together, even Bom's mother can't help with this."

"But why can't they just get married?" I scratched my head "What can Sil Jang do?"

"Ruin the wedding and make them lose their faces. Seung Hyun is someone who can't lose his face no matter what. Reporters are running after him like he is some celebrity. And Bom is very powerful figure in business world too. They can't afford doing stupid mistakes or they might lose everything they have."

"But Sil Jang can destroy them like this too, right?" I raised a brow "Why wait until the wedding?"

"Nothing is that simple." Daesung shook his head.

"As long as it's nothing too public Sil Jang is pretty powerless actually. He can't kill Seung Hyun or Jiyong with his own hands because then Bom's mother would really make him suffer. He sent Bae but that guy is hopeless. I get this feeling Sil Jang just wants to keep hyung on his toes and scared for his life. Not that he is scared but... Sil Jang must have some other plans we don't know about. It's not like he can kill hyung, anyway..." Daesung rubbed his chin. Well, like this he is making him suffer a lot."

"What about Jiyong? You are speaking again as if this was only about Seung Hyun" I started feeling suspicious about everything. The other party talks only about Jiyong and Daesung talks only about Seung Hyun. The heck?

"Aish, nuna. Don't ask me about him. It's something I really can't tell, not even if you threatened to kill yourself now. Really, don't ask me about Jiyong."

"Could it be, there is still something between him and Bom?" I frowned.

"No, absolutely nothing! I swear, he loves you and only you." Daesung said looking dead serious. "Nuna, please believe me. The only one for him is you."

"But what happened between him and Bom? I can tell he dislikes her a lot but Bom... she always smiles so gently at him. Is she still..." I gulped that bitter feeling down "Does she still have some feelings for him?"

Daesung sighed "I don't know" he said truthfully "But I think she really cares for Seung Hyun now and there is no way Jiyong would ever look at her like he used to, just no way. And I think she knows it. She always ignores his mean comments and grumpy attitude because she doesn't want to stay enemies forever."

"I don't know..." I sighed "Does Jiyong really care about me? I mean... Maybe he just wants to forget-"

"Nuna" Daesung didn't let me finish. "Don't think like that! His feelings are sincere, you know it" he grunted, unsatisfied by my attitude.

"I understand what you are saying but you are leaving out something really important and without it nothing makes sense, you know." a frustrated sigh left my lips "Daesung, can't you just tell me?" my pleading eyes met with his. He stayed quiet for a long moment, his eyes never leaving mine.

"As much as I want, it's impossible. I told you before, you have to follow your heart. You don't need to know anything, it's enough to love. Just like that... just love."

"What the heck are you taking about?" I uttered a bitter laughter "What love?"

"Don't be like that" Daesung took a seat next to me "I know that it's hard to handle all this information. You just want to go crazy, right?" he smirked.

"Yeah" I whispered.

"Look at the sky."

I looked up and saw the bright stars.

Bom's house is located outside the city so the stars can be seen clearly. It's been such a long time since I saw the stars last time.

"It's beautiful right. When you look at the starts you stop thinking about your problems and just think they are pretty."

"Pretty? Stars are just huge boulders, rocky, cold and dangerous" I scoffed "What's so pretty about them?" I knew he was trying to change the topic and it annoyed me.

"Yaaaah" Daesung laughed "Could you get even more pessimistic?" his warm hand caressed my back. "Nuna, don't lose your hope. You lived on without knowing any of this yet everything what happened, happened. I am sure you can live on without finding out and be even happier. We are all here, alive, smiling and having fun. It's better to not think stars are dangerous and ugly. They are pretty and twinkle happily, they are too far away for us to ever see what they really look like."

"That's like believing in a big lie" I mumbled unhappily and leaned my head on Daesung's shoulder "My mind is a mess right now" I complained.

"A big lie" Daesung chuckled "I don't know about you but I feel happier believing in that lie rather than finding out the truth. I think stars are pretty. Not all lies are bad."

"Are you trying to tell me to ignore the ugly truth and continue to live in the shadows like some idiot?" I asked with irony in my voice. "And believe that the frog that wears a small crown is the prince even though it's fake?"

"What are you talking about?" Daesung laughed.

"Why don't you just enjoy the moment while you can? Kids believe in fairy tales until they finally realize they are just stories. Someone might think kids are stupid but when you think back wasn't life much more fun and carefree when you believed in fairy tales? When you went to bed and closed your eyes believing in miracles, wasn't that what made life worth living?

And aren't you sad when you think about your life now and realize you have lost all hope and nothing looks pretty anymore because you just know too much? What lie are you talking about? Am I lying when I say stars are pretty? Look up" Daesung moved his shoulder "Nuna, look up."

"What?" I looked up with dull look on my face.

"Stars are so shiny, like small diamonds. There are so much, they look like magic dust or something" he spoke with such enthusiasm it made me smile. "There are no lies, it's all in front of your eyes. All things have two sides, a bright, beautiful and shiny and the other side... It's that rocky, dull and ugly. It might be hidden behind many layers but it's there.

When you look in my eyes you see me, it's me. And when you look at hyung or Jiyong, who do you see? You see them.

Nuna, think about your childhood. Fairy tales... weren't they real to you back then? If you say no you are a liar. And because the princess believed the frog was the prince, because she believed in what her heart was telling her, that's why she got her prince. It's so simple."

"Daesung, I like you so much" I wrapped my hands around him and hugged him from the side burying my face in his shoulder, touched by his beautiful words. The cranky mood was gone. Daesung is good with these kind of things. Too good...

"What would I do without you, eh?" a silly smile spread on my lips. "You are officially my family from now on."

He uttered a hearty laughter "How can you accept me only now when I decided we are gonna be family when I first met you" he teased.

"Aish, you..."

"You are not the only one who's frustrated here. When it comes to hyung and Jiyong, they are just plain crazy. Just because they refuse listen to their hearts they keep doing stupid mistakes. They think they can make people happy but how can they when they are not happy themselves?" Daesung sighed and drank from the wine bottle. "Want some?" he offered it to me.

"Yeah" I unwrapped my hands from around him and leaned my back against the backrest of the bench.

As I drank my gaze shifted at the dark sky. Stars, indeed, are pretty. Sky is so wide, it's everywhere, always there watching over us. I wish I could reach it, I wish I knew how it feels like to lie on a cloud. I wish I could see what's on the other side. Does space end somewhere and what comes then?




"I think it's better if you leave now."

"You speak like you own the place."

"Who do you think you are? Wasn't last time enough?"

"When will you realize it's useless to keep up that stupid fight? You are bond to lose."

"So you think."

"Don't tell me you still believe in miracles. How about Santa Claus?"

Me and Daesung exchanged glances when we heard two voices talking. I recognized Seung Hyun but the other one was unfamiliar. The last comment was colored with such strong mockery it gave me goosebumps. Daesung perked up and moved closer to the bushes, I followed him as quietly as I could and we both ended up sitting on our knees on the ground hiding behind two big bushes. I caught a glimpse of Seung Hyun and that young guy who came with Sil Jang.

"You better hand Bom to me before something unfortunate happens to you."

"Tsh" Seung Hyun looked like he loathed this guy with passion "Do you think I am scared of you? Bom is mine and will always be, you have no chances and even if you get rid of me she still won't be yours." He sounded and looked really possessive.

"I'm so sick of your arrogant face. Where do you get that useless self confidence of yours?"

"That's enough!" Bom walked at the scene "Park Jae Hong, you get out of here this instant."

"The princess herself" Jae Hong eyed Bom hungrily "How about you dump his boring as.s and leave with me? We used to have so much fun, I still haven't forgotten that night."

"You as.shole" she slapped him across his face. Go Bom, aja aja! I cheered in my mind. "If I could turn back time I'd never look at you twice."

"What to do? You can't turn back time."

For some reason his words struck me painfully. The time seemed to stop for everyone and silence landed in the garden. My hand rested over my heart, it was beating really fast and I swallowed slowly, my eyes opening wide. What the heck is this feeling? How come one silly sentence can make me hurt so much? It was Seung Hyun's voice that brought me back and I snapped from my lifeless stare.

"Who cares about turning back time? You want me to kick you out of here like last time?" he commented dryly and stepped one step forward, Jae Hong backed, looking cautious.

"Don't you dare to touch me" he warned.

"Don't look at her" Seung Hyun pulled Bom behind himself "The moment your ugly eyes land on her again I will smash your disgusting face into a blood paddle."

"Why don't you try doing that? Let's see what will happen next" Jae Hong uttered an ironic laughter. "You wanna die, Seung Hyun?" his voice was ice cold.

"Keep trying, if you want me dead you will have to die too."

"Stop it!" Bom yelled. She pushed Seung Hyun to the side and her fierce eyes fell over Jae Hong "You are nothing but a human trash, you have no right to be here so get going. I don't want to see your face ever again."

"I got different impression when you moaned under me and called out my name" a sly smile spread on Jae Hong's lips "You loved it, didn't you? And you'd have me back any moment."

"That's it" Seung Hyun snapped "You fcker."

"No" Bom grabbed his hand "Don't."

"See, you can't hurt me, you just can't."

"I don't want him to get as low as to start a fight with you. Oppa is so much more than someone like you" Bom hissed "You can stand on our way but you will never get between us."

"Don't give me that undying love shi.t" Jae Hong scoffed.

Daesung shook me and when I looked at him I realized he pointed his finger at something.

Jiyong was standing behind us with amused light in his eyes, he slowly shook his head and his brows raised a little when our eyes met. He looked so amused.

"Take her away" he whispered quietly before walking past us.

My eyes followed his every move.

"I got the feeling you all would be here." Jiyong said lazily, entering the scene. "Jae Hong, get your pathetic a.ss out of here before I rip you apart."

"You, of all people, should stay out of this."

"What? Are you scared? I thought there is a problem between me and you, even bigger than you have with these two."

"Shut the f.ck up."

"And what if I don't?"

"Noooo" I whispered trying to grab onto anything when Daesung grabbed my hand and started dragging me away.

"We need to go, it's no good to eavesdrop" Daesung explained. "Let's go eat something, aren't you hungry?"

"How can you eat when there is this kind of situation?"

"Nothing is going to happen. Jae Hong will run away with his tail between his fat legs. Like always..."

"I want to know what the heck is going on" I complained.

"Nuna, did you forget about what we just talked about?" Daesung raised a brow. "Listen to your heart."

"I take back all I said about liking you. I hate you" I pouted my lips "Stupid dongseng."

"Nuna, you promised to dance with me" Daesung smiled.

He dragged me all the way back in the festival hall and forced me to dance with himself when I refused to eat. I told him I didn't know how to dance but he insisted on teaching me. He was so cute when he asked if I mind if he puts his hand on my lower back.

Awww, how could I stay angry when he was smiling so brightly? Besides, it was about the Damn time I learn how to dance waltz, anyway. So I let him teach me. While I tried to memorize the steps and make sure I don't step on his feet he kept joking about all other people around us and making me laugh. I didn't even have any time to think about what happened earlier.

After dancing for quite a while I got thirsty and when we went to drink I finally saw all the delicious looking food so we started eating. And while we were eating some pretty girls suddenly surrounded Daesung.

He looked scared when they hung on him, giggled and batted their eyelashes like they wanted to fly away with him or something. To my surprise he was pretty good at sweet talking but it didn't help him to get rid of the girls. That was a perfect chance for me to retreat and finally escape his watching eye. He was completely tied down and I saw him frown when he realized I left him.

Instead of going back to the garden I found myself walking towards the balcony. My hands met with the cold stone railing and my upper body leaned over it, my eyes searching for particular four figures somewhere in the shadows. But there was no one, I found the spot where me and Daesung had squatted down to eavesdrop but the area on the other side of the bushes was now empty. Everything was over. Damn.

But did I get it right, did Bom actually sleep with the other guy? Did she cheat on Seung Hyun? Why would she do so and why aren't they officially dating? Geez, their relationship sure is complicated.

I turned around and opened my purse grabbing the box of cigarettes. But when a cigarette was finally dangling from my lips I realized I still hadn't bought a new lighter. I never remember. I looked to the both sides and saw K stand at the other side of the balcony with cigarette between his lips. My eyes lit, I'm saved. While walking towards him I realized the balcony was shaped in a half moon, like in all castles in cartoons. Such a dreamy mansion.

"Hey, can you borrow me your lighter?" I asked carefully. Silently K reached in his pocket and soon held his lighter in front of my face offering to light my cigarette.

"Thanks" I flashed a friendly smile.

"No problem" he muttered with his gruff voice.

"So here you are."

I winced and stepped to the side when someone stopped next to me. I recognized Seung Hyun's silky voice.

"You okay, bro?" K asked lazily.

"No problem, mate" Seung Hyun smirked "We took care of them."

"Sweet" K flashed a small smile. He seems to be more relaxed than I thought.

"And madam?"

"She wanted to be alone, like always. Agasshi?"

"Since she is the queen of the night everyone wants to dance with her" Seung Hyun chuckled "She has to fulfill her duties, right?"

"Should I go check on L?"

"I saw him 40 minutes ago, he said he was hungry."

"All right, I'll go then" K dumped his cigarette and pat Seung Hyun on the shoulder "See you later, bro. Come by."

"Yeah, have fun buddy"

Somehow, their discussion sounded like they both were bodyguards. But... I frowned, tilting my head to the side. Weird... Seung Hyun smirked when our eyes met and he looked at me from head to toe with pleased expression on his face.

"No matter how many times I check, you look perfect" a carefree chuckle escaped his lips.

"No matter how many times I check you still have that outrageous blond hair that makes you look like a kid" I answered dully and puffed the cigarette smoke in his face.

"Geez, smoking is no good." Seung Hyun suddenly grabbed my cigarette. Damn, I don't have a lighter!

"Don't!" I wanted to snatch it away but he actually brought it to his lips.

"Do I look cool now?" he raised a brow. Yeah you do.

"You look like an idiot" I muttered "Give it back."

"You can always light another one."

I lowered my gaze.

"What? Don't have a lighter?" he laughed "Poor baby sister" he pat my head.

"I'm not your baby sister" I growled.

"Kids shouldn't smoke" he teased.

I just bit my lower lip and looked at the cigarette with longing in my eyes. He was slowly smoking it away without even enjoying it properly.

"Gah, tastes like sh.it" Seung Hyun suddenly coughed a little and then heartlessly dumped the half smoked cigarette.

"You haven't smoked before?" I gaped at him.

"No, how do you think my skin has stayed so good?" he asked teasingly.

"Wow, you really get more uncool the more I find out about you..."

"Anyway, you enjoying the party?" Seung Hyun asked swaying his head to the side in hopes to get his bangs off his eyes, some stuck to his eyebrows and he lazily blew them away. Boy, did he look hot standing there with his hands in the pockets of his pants, leaning coolly on the wall with that boyish smirk on his lips.

"Don't do that" I frowned. I have this weakness about guys who blow their hair off their face. It just... turns me on. And somehow I get the feeling he knows it.

"What? Do I look that hot?" Seung Hyun laughed.

"Yeah" I said indifferently "Damn hot."

"That was my intention tonight" he winked. "Where did you leave Jiyong? I wanted to see you two cuties dance together."

"I don't know how to dance so I won't be dancing" I lied. Cuties?

"You still don't know?" Seung Hyun raised his brows in disbelief "You said you would learn after you embarrassed yourself at the school dance."

"It's not like you were there when I promised. Wait a second" I eyed him with suspicion. "How would you know about that?"

Seung Hyun shrugged "Little birds told me."

"Were you there too?"

"Why would I be at your school dance?" he asked sounding a little amused.

"Were you that fat nerd who played fipple flute in the orchestra and kept staring at me and sweating like pig all night long?"

"Maybe" Seung Hyun smirked "You didn't see how he laughed when you almost tripped over your dress while getting on stage to receive your queenka award."

I thought no one noticed that!

"Yah, were you really there?" I asked with a frown on my face. "Why don't I remember you from the past?"

"Simply because" Seung Hyun took his hands out from his pockets and stepped closer to me

"You are so dense."

"What are you doing?" I asked and stepped back when he reached his hands out.

"I'll teach you how to dance" he smiled smugly.

"No thanks. Besides, what if Bom sees? You want to ruin her birthday?"

"What are you talking about? She is dancing with all the hot guys right now."

"So you go and act all jealous, that's what she would like" I nagged.

"Are you scared of me?" he asked, smoothly moving closer.

"No but... stay away" I stepped back.

Damn, he looks so good today. If he comes closer I am going to blush. Besides, he has been invading my personal space too much lately, so much I am afraid to finally start noticing him in some wrong way. We have been through some quite intense things together, that just adds to my imagination even more. Where are all other people and why are we the only ones on this balcony?

The moon is shining brightly and the starts twinkling suggestively. Isn't the atmosphere a bit too romantic? I don't want to end up looking like an idiot when he starts making fun of me. I want to be cool so why did God curse me with this faint heart? He is going to make my heart skip a beat and then laugh at me when I make a funny face... I frowned.

"Come here, baby sister" Seung Hyun finally caught me, his hand sliding on my lower back and pulling me closer. I gasped upon his touch.

"L-let go of me."

"Why is it so hard to dance with this pretty lady?" he laughed and his hand grabbed mine. I caught a glimpse of his lips and remembered about that kiss I stole. A smug smile spread on my lips, he has no idea, he he. I am so sneaky.

"Here" Seung Hyun placed my hand on his shoulder "You can caress my neck while I twirl you around in a romantic-"

"Fck you" I kicked him in the shins and he let go of my hand, I quickly stepped away from him "I said I don't want to dance with you" I said dully as I crossed my arms over my chest and watched him rub his shin.

"Geez, you are so fierce" he laughed "That hurt."

I couldn't help but let that faint smile spread on my lips as I listened to his ca

Please log in to read the full chapter