- Do it for Kwang

When everything falls apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung hesitated for a second, but finally answered her cell phone. Jessica felt her heart pound and the hands tremble. If I'm nervous like this, imagine Sooyoung. She watched her friend closely and could see how nervous she was.

- “Hello?” Sooyoung spoke in a shaky voice.

- “Hi honey, I'm glad to hear your voice.” The terrorist spoke in an ironic voice and Sooyoung closed her eyes and felt a tear trickles down her face.

At that moment Jessica wanted to take the phone from Sooyoung's hand and shoot away, but she controlled herself and continued to watch her friend in silence. She feared that she would ruin everything if made any noise and even her breathing she controlled more.

- “I thought you didn’t want to talk to me again after ignoring me on Thursday, but I'm glad you have not tired of me yet, because I will never give up from you.” This last part he spoke in a threatening way and Sooyoung continued with her head down and quiet.

- “I know you're in the dormitory with your friends so I'll be brief.” Hearing this, Sooyoung's eyes widened.

- “How, how do you know I'm here?” She stuttered and Jessica frowned at the question. Does the terrorist know she’s here?

- “Sooyoung, Sooyoung, I've told you more than once before. I have my ways to knowing things, so much that I thought you were ignoring me because you talked to the police, but I got into their system and there's nothing. Actually, I realized the investigations of the attack are so slow, cause they don’t involve the most important part of this puzzle, which is you. The incompetence of the Seoul police is fascinating.” He spoke and laughed at his own comment. “So I'm calling because I was missing you and I know that although you don’t like me, I can count on you, right?”

Sooyoung took a deep breath and was quiet.

- “Can I count on you, Sooyoung?” He repeated the question.

- “Yes, yes, you can.” She hesitated to respond still absorbing what he had said. He knows I'm here, almost discovered that I talked to the police, this need stop, but the good thing is that Dahyun actually did what she promised and didn’t put on the system about my testimony. She thought and her gaze met Jessica who was looking at her worriedly.

- “Good, but I confess I was disappointed that you don’t go to your stupid fiancé show in Japan. But I understand you, no one deserves such a show. I just hope it's all right with you two.” She was quiet. Sooyoung didn’t understand why she was so hesitant to talk to the terrorist when she should actually be doing the opposite.

- “Answer me, stupid girl.” He yelled at her.

- “It's okay, we are good, but the doctor didn’t let me go to the show.” She made an excuse and Jessica was surprised by the answer. What are they talking about?

- “I'm glad. I'd hate to see you single. If that happens we'll have to get you another boyfriend or speed up my plans and kill you earlier. You don’t want any of that, do you?”

- “No.” She answered in a few words, which seemed to annoy the terrorist.

- “I see you're not up for a chat today. Not that you talked to me at other times, but I always enjoyed our conversations. Your crying has always been music to my ears and even that you aren’t capable to doing today. Are you tired of me, my dear? If you want, I can arrange to make you forget me forever.”

She widened her eyes but keep quiet. Jessica was tensed with her reaction.

- “It's terrible to talk to you today.” The terrorist was annoyed and was about to hang up the phone.

Jessica noticed her friend's discomfort, approached and took her hand.

- “Stay calm, I'm here with you.” Jessica whispered and Sooyoung didn’t hear, but she could read her lips and understand what her friend was saying and it worked as a balm to Sooyoung insecurities.

- “I think I saw you that day in the park.” She said hesitantly. She took the courage to speak. She needed to talk to him longer. I needed to give that time to Dahyun. They fulfilled their word, I must fulfill mine.

- “Sure you saw me, I beat you in the head.”

- “No, before the explosion, I saw you.” She said, but this time with more confidence.

- “On the day of the attack?” He asked surprised with Sooyoung.

- “Yes. You were near the lake with a backpack, right?”

- “Maybe.” He answered hesitantly that time.

- “I'm pretty sure it was you but I never understood how you were not hit by the blast.” Jessica listened to the conversation frightened, but she didn’t let go of Sooyoung's hand.

- “I'm not stupid to get hit by my own bombs. I'm smart.”

- “You're not smart, you're a monster.” She returned it with angry.

- “Wow, I didn’t expect this from you, but I liked it. I prefer this Sooyoung than the coward I've been talking before.”

- “I'm not a coward, you're a coward. You killed dozens of people.”

- “I have my purpose, I'm not a coward.”

- “I don’t see any difference.” She continued to face him and seemed to be working.

- “You say that, because you think you're the heroine of the attack, right? But I'm sorry to inform you that you're not the real hero. Heroes die in defense of something, you are alive, for now.  The real hero died that day in your arms, in true, you kill him.”  

- “What are you talking about?” If before Sooyoung seemed confident, this time she hesitated to ask and Jessica noticed the change in her friend who seemed to have come back as it was at the beginning of the conversation.

- “That boy, what's his name?”

- “Kwang!” She answered with wide eyes and Jessica repeated the gesture.

- “That's it. This stupid boy kicked a cable that interconnected the explosives and accelerated the explosion of the park. It was for the park and the art gallery to explode at the same time, but he accelerated everything and got what he deserved. You and everyone believe you saved everyone from the museum, but who really saved was this stupid boy.” He said laughing irritating Sooyoung even more.

- “Don’t talk about him like that.” Sooyoung snapped angrily.

- “Hahaha you say that like you didn’t kill the boy.” The terrorist spoke and Sooyoung felt his words.

- “What?” She spoke in a weak voice and let go of Jessica's hand that surprised her.

- “Yes, you took that block off him and it killed him.”

- “This is not true.”

- “If you wait for the paramedics they would have saved the boy, but you thought you were the savior of the world and killed him. But I recognize that you have ended the agony of the boy, which was what I wanted to do for everyone in the park, I wanted to save everyone from living this stupid life that you all live, but unfortunately only 19 were benefited.”

- “You're lying, I didn’t kill him!” Sooyoung was irritated and tears streamed down her face. Jessica didn’t know what to do with her friend.

- “I have the original video of the security cameras. I can show you that in the next time we see each other. You kill this boy.”

- “Do you have the video?” Sooyoung asked in surprise.

- “Sure I have.”

- “You are the who published the video?”

- “Look, you're not so stupid. Yes, it was me. I cut the parts that didn’t interest me and made you a hero.”

- “But you don’t appear in the video?” She spoke in a weak voice like a whisper due to the surprise of knowing how much the terrorist has control over everything

- “No. I studied those cameras a lot and knew the blind spots. I'm really good.”

- “You are a bastard.” She returned angrily.

- “Wow, I think I made somebody angry with the truth.

Sooyoung was quiet.

Was Kwang's death really my fault? He have control of everything, will the police be able to arrest him? I'm trying here, but is the police really monitoring this conversation to catch him?

Jessica could see her friend's agony and again took her hand and with the other covered the phone and spoke.

- “Do this for Kwang.”

Sooyoung takes a deep breath and nods to Jessica. Again Jessica helped her, and yes, she needed to do that for Kwang, but also for Jessica, her family and all the other friends she needed to protect from the terrorist's threats.

- “I really left you speechless. Too bad I was really enjoying our conversation.” The terrorist complain on the phone.

- “Why?” She s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter