- The tragedy

When everything falls apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When realized the situation she began to swim towards the shore. When she got there  noticed that the bridge where she had taken the pictures was destroyed with the parts overspread in the lake. "How did come nothing fell on me?" Right way she felt a huge pain in the head and in her left ribs. She put her hand on her forehead and saw that it was bleeding, like her right hand which has a deep cut. She can't find any more bruises, but her state and wet clothes don't help in this situation.

She looked at the ends of the bridge and they were flaming. "Did the explosion come from there?" She take her vision to surroundings and saw that her bike was also destroyed. "What's happened here?" Looked back at the lake and could see the dead floating ducklings in the water beside of two people who seemed to be the old couple.

She had never been in a war, but the feeling was that. She was in a scenario of war, with destruction, smoke, screams and bodies. She did not know where the screams came from, but without hesitating she got up to help the couple in the lake. She got up quickly, ignoring the pain in her ribs and head and addressed to the lake. She pulled one person and brought  to the grass and then came back to help the other one. Then she saw more two persons. It looks like the young gay couple.

She left the second person on the grass and swam swiftly back for the other two guys. When the four persons were in the grass she felt the weariness of her effort but leave it out and went to see if they were well and to her surprise they all were covered with blood. The desperation to help them was so great  that she didn't realize that two of the people were in half and the faces of the other two were disfigured. They did not fall off the bridge like her, they were hit by the explosion. This realization didn't take away her hopes and with the courage she did not know she had, Sooyoung put her hand on people's wrists and finally can see: they were all dead.

She never imagined going through something like that, but she was sure that if have to came rescue of a wounded person, she would not be able to help and  she would feeling be sick . When  realized the extent of the tragedy and that beside her were four dead people the nausea, which was expected, came and the panic over the situation she wouldn't know if it would leave so soon. When she found herself, she was kneeling in the grass throwing up everything of her stomach. In an automatic action, she ran into the lake to wash , but vomited again as she felt the blood flavor from the water. It only stopped when there was nothing else in her stomach. The tears of despair wet her damp face and the pain in her chest and now in increased as she began to sob in her solitary cry. "How is it possible to cry alone in a public park on a saturday morning?"

-HELP!

Sooyoung raises her head.

-HELP

Suddenly the pain in her chest was gone and she ran toward the scream and found a child covered with pieces of concrete that seemed to have come off the floor. He was face down just with his head and left hand out of the concrete block and begging for help. Sooyoung looked around and the scene was devastating. She realized that the families she had seen before were literally in pieces. A new nausea struck her, but soon she saw the desperation of the boy screaming for help. "God made me survive all of this and I have to make it worth it." She knelt by the little boy who grabbed her hand and began to cry and talk hurriedly without making himself understood.

-"I'll help you, I know it sounds difficult, but try to stay calm. What's your name?"

The boy only cried. Sooyoung looked around to see if she could get him out. "The explosion seems to have happened underneath the concrete then fell on it." Sooyoung removed one of the pieces of concrete from above the boy who continued to scream in pain. She looked around and took a piece of wood to leverage and try to take out the biggest piece that covered his tiny body. The block didn't move, so she changed the position of the lever and with a force she didn't know she had, she managed to make the piece up and fall out of the boy but it rolled on a lifeless body that seemed to be the child's mom. She looked for a moment at what she had done and felt how cruel that situation was. For helping the little boy crushed a body already destroyed by the tragedy. That scene distracted her for the body state of the child who was now screaming in pain. His screams arousing Sooyoung who dropped the piece of wood she had used as a lever when she look at the boy.

-"Oh my god!"

The block had crushed the boy in another smaller piece of concrete and beneath it had other bodies. The only whole parts of his body were the head and left shoulder, which remained outside the stone. Sooyoung didn't know what to do. She couldn't help him, but she couldn't leave him there to die. She bent down again, took his hand, and spoke to him again.

-"I'll get help and I'll be right back." She spoke trying to look into his eyes. She got up quickly and saw a man of about 50 years limping and trying to run towards Gate 6. She screamed and headed toward him.

-"Please help me. There is a very injured kid and I need help to getting him out of here." She pointed to the child.

The oldman, who did not seem happy to have been stopped, answered her.

-"Get out of here, didn't you see that everybody ran?" And he beggin to walked again.

Sooyoung took his arm and spoke again.

-"Please, help me. It will not be long and then you can go.He is badly hurt.The block has crushed part of his body ..." She couldn't finish because she was interrupted by the man.

-"You can't help this child, look at him." The man looked with a mixture of disdain and pain to the kid. "Get out of here and save yourself, silly girl."

-"How can you say that? How can you be so cruel?" Sooyoung screams in despair.

-"I was begging for help and no one stopped to help me. I spent 10 minutes trying to get a block off my leg and now that I've got it, I can't waste time with you and your boy. I just want to survive. If you think I'm cruel, what do you think of the person who did it? " He said referring to the tragedy.

Sooyoung stares at the limping man with tears in her eyes as he runs away, leaving her stunned. She glanced around at the war scene and only now realized the lack of screams she heard at the beginning. She could only hear the kid call for help but otherwise, the park was quieter than ever. The people she had seen in the lake as soon as sha was out were no longer there. The bodies that scared her as soon as she reached the border, she took them all out. "Were just those?" Nearby the ground  destroyed she could see more traces of parts of people. But looking over, she realized that the families she had seen when arrived

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter