Chapter 86

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
The atmosphere back at the containment site was as stiff as ever. No one stirred from their posts. Even as a warm gust blew by, Chief Kang found himself staring at the building Nana and Victoria were currently imprisoned in. He could only hope things would go smoothly. There was no offensive plan for Donghae to take in with him. Ren Gei would be suspicious of him the moment he stepped into their territory. From what he’d heard, Victoria and Nana didn’t seem to have any injuries at the moment. Yunho’s team hadn’t done anything yet either. 
 
All they could do now was wait for Donghae to arrive. 
 
Running footsteps neared him from behind and he turned to see Yuri and Donghae heading toward him. His heart leaped when he saw him. 
 
“Chief!” 
 
“Victoria, where is she?” Donghae questioned as Chief Kang put an arm around him. 
 
“Always asking about her first,” Chief Kang commented with a small smile while leading him to the van. “I have some people you should see first. They’re conducting the hostage situation and they’re the ones talking to Ren Gei.”
 
“How’s Victoria? They’re not hurt, are they?” 
 
“They’re ok.”
 
He knocked on the van door and it opened instantly. Three men filed out one after the other. 
 
“This Jung Yunho, hostage specialist. Leeteuk, his intelligence officer, and Siwon, his communication specialist.” Chief Kang introduced. “This is criminal investigator, Lee Donghae.” 
 
They greeted each other. 
 
“I’m going to get to the point,” Yunho said, “Ren Gei wants you in return for your wife.”
 
“If you’re asking me if I’ll do it, of course I will. I’m going to get her out of there,” Donghae stated determined. 
 
“I’ll do my best to get you and Im Jinah out of there.” Yunho promised. 
 
“Are you sure you want to go in alone like that?” it was Siwon who spoke. “There are some vicious people inside.” 
 
“They’ve been my hosts once before,” Donghae told, “I’ll do fine by myself.” 
 
“Donghae,” Chief Kang called him. “Don’t rush it in there. You know how they are.” 
 
“Yea? Well if they were going to take Victoria, they should’ve gone through me first.” Donghae swiveled his attention toward the building Victoria and Nana were in. 
 
“I’ll be in contact with them.” Yunho went inside his van. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“I feel sorry for them,” Leeteuk expressed when the door closed behind them. 
 
“That’s why we’ve go to do our best to help them too.” Yunho said. “Siwon.” 
 
“Got it.” 
 
Siwon clicked on a switch and Yunho quickly dialed some numbers. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Code green,” Chief Kang spoke into a walkie-talkie, “we’re moving now. Keep a watch on the hostage takers. Do not shoot unless they make a move.” 
 
“Chief, you’re allowing them to shoot?” Donghae questioned. 
 
Chief Kang stubbornly refused to reply. 
 
“If one person shoots someone else is going to shoot. It’s going to be a mess! What about Victoria and Nana!?” Donghae asked bewildered. 
 
“That’s only if they shoot first. Just watch, Donghae.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Everyone! Get in place!” someone climbed up to the rooftop starting toward them. 
 
Heechul turned around from the high wall of the roof surprised. 
 
“Code green…” Chief Kang’s voice suddenly transmitted through the walkie-talkie. 
 
“Why are we getting ready to shoot?” Kim Heechul questioned loudly bewildered by the sudden order.
 
He hadn’t expected it to happen. At least not anytime soon. 
 
“There’s going to be an exchange.” the trooper explained. 
 
“Exchange?” 
 
“Yes, sir. We’re going to trade the hostage for her husband.” 
 
Heechul’s eyes widened and he spun around as the wind encircled his face to stare at the building across from them. Was Chief Kang really going to let it happen?
 
/ / / / /
 
“He’s here,” Ren Gei announced then turned to Eui Tae who had a hold on Victoria and Yong Jo who was binding Nana’s wrists together. “Take her out.” 
 
“No! NO!” Victoria struggled against Eui Tae’s big arms. “Leave me! Don’t you dare touch Donghae! Do you hear me!?” 
 
She thrashed her arms out wildly but Eui Tae’s hands remained on her. 
 
“Nana! Nana! Don’t let them hurt Donghae! Please! Nana!” Victoria selfishly screamed before the door shut and they were walking through the freezer. 
 
The cold steam brushed against her tantalized face. She stared helplessly at the large metal door unable to let it out of her sight. 
 
What were they going to do now? Nana was now being tied up by Yong Jo, her only escape meant Donghae, and his only escape could only mean death. Victoria’s heart burned as she fought helplessly against Eui Tae. Tears gushed up into her eyes as she imagined Donghae lying on the ground in his own pool of thick red blood. She felt so helpless, hopeless in this situation. 
 
Eui Tae led them pass empty racks and down a long icy hall before they reached a metal doorway. After the door shut behind them he dragged her like a doll down the dark hallways and down some metal staircase, each of their footsteps reverberating off the hollow walls. Their shadows cast long lonely looking shadows against the white walls and Victoria could feel herself choke up from the dust flying around them. 
 
At last the last door opened and she met with the outside air. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Where is he? I don’t see him,” Ren Gei spoke through the phone. 
 
“Right here. Right beside the van, are you looking?” Yunho questioned. 
 
“Ah-ha, I see him.” Ren Gei’s voice clicked. “Victoria should be at the foot of the door.” 
 
Everyone in the car turned to see Victoria being held by a large man whose shoulders extended well pass his tiny collar bones. 
 
“Damn…he’s gigantic…” Leeteuk gasped. 
 
“We’re letting her go.” Ren Gei told. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Donghae’s heart leapt in joy at the sight of an uninjured Victoria and started to run forward but Chief Kang tossed out his arm stopping him. 
 
“Let her come over her.” Chief Kang ordered. “We can’t assume that she’s safe till she’s in our zone.” 
 
Donghae gritted his teeth. He hated the way things worked. 
 
He turned his attention back to Victoria and watched as Eui Tae let go of her. 
 
/ / / / /
 
What was he doing there? Did he not know what was going to happen? Why had he come to trade himself in? Victoria’s heart was going to burst. She didn’t want to step forward. She didn’t want to go any closer to them. It would only mean the end for Donghae. 
 
“What are you doing? Go on!” Eui Tae growled from behind her. 
 
She couldn’t have Donghae trade himself in for her. He would die…
 
/ / / / /
 
“Go…just go…” Heechul whispered underneath his breath peering down at Victoria and Donghae from a window inside the building. 
 
His heart was pounding within his ears.
 
/ / / / /
 
“What’s she doing?” Leeteuk asked. “Is she not coming?” 
 
“Did they threaten her?” Siwon wondered. 
 
Yunho tensed up. 
 
“Once she reaches the line, send Donghae up.” his voice reached the speakers. 
 
“Promise not to shoot.” Yunho spoke back. 
 
Leeteuk and Siwon turned to look at him. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Why was she taking so long to come forward? Donghae felt his heart tire from anxiety. 
 
“Victoria!” he shouted. “Hurry! Come over here!” 
 
Was Victoria hesitating? Why? 
 
“Victoria!” he screamed again. 
 
His eyes grew wide from shock when the giant Eui Tae took a step forward to push Victoria. Unable to hold back anymore he rushed forward. 
 
The lifting of rifles and guns caught Chief Kang’s attention and he swerved around ing his arm out. 
 
“No! Stop! Don’t fire!” he screamed from the top of his lungs. 
 
Donghae caught Victoria in his arms holding her tightly within his embrace by the yellow line the federal agents had set up. It felt so good to have her in his arms again. Leaning his head against hers he let out a loud sigh running his hand over her hair. 
 
“I’m so glad. I’m so glad you’re ok.” he repeated over and over. 
 
“Why’d you come! Why’d you come!” Victoria grasped onto the back of his shirt. “Are you stupid!? What the hell is wrong with you!? Why’d you come!?”
 
“Of course I came for you,” Donghae smiled and spoke very gently. 
 
Victoria let out a loud sob digging her face into his shoulder, “He’s going to kill you. Donghae, don’t go. Don’t go. I’m sorry, I’ll be good. Just don’t go.” 
 
He could feel his heart plead with him to stay, but he knew he couldn’t. 
 
“You’ve always been good, how much better do you want to be?” questioned Donghae soothingly. 
 
“I don’t want to lose you.” she cried. “Donghae, don’t go. I’m begging you.” 
 
“You won’t, you won’t,” he despairingly said the words closing his eyes momentarily. “You’ll always have me. I live in your heart, don’t I?” 
 
“No…” she whimpered. “Don’t go. Please. I don’t want to have the baby alone. I don’t want to be alone again. You said you wouldn’t be In Seol. You promised you wouldn’t be like him!”  
 
She let go of her hold on him only to grip onto his shirt even tighter. 
 
“Victoria,” Donghae said at a loss, her sadness quickly overwhelming him. Every particular memory of them coming to him instantly, “It’s ok to forget me. Remembering will only cause you pain. Don’t hurt anymore.” 
 
“No, what are you saying?” Victoria asked as he cradled her in his arms. 
 
He could feel his shoulder become drenched with her tears. 
 
“It’s ok.” he patted her back. “I’ll come back for you.” 
 
Against his own will he let go of her. He smiled at her once before taking a step away but Victoria grabbed onto his sleeve stopping him. Donghae couldn’t turn back, he couldn’t. In the end, he slightly turned his head to glance at her sobbing away, head hung low like a little child losing her mother. The sight tore his heart apart. Victoria was hurting, he was hurting her again.  
 
/ / / / /
 
“That bastard, what does he think he’s doing?” Ren Gei muttered from the rooftop glaring down at Donghae and Victoria before speaking into the phone. “Bring him here now!” 
 
Ren Gei waited a second before turning toward Leo who was all set on the rooftop. 
 
“Shoot away.” 
 
“Yes, sir.” Leo smiled with his revolver and shot at the people across from him before aiming for those below. 
 
A shrill laughter rung in the air before a long moment of silence engraved itself around them. 
 
/ / / / /
 
The rooftop door slammed open and Heechul ran out to push down the trooper who’d gotten up relieved that Donghae was starting toward Eui Tae. 
 
“Get down! Get down!” Heechul screamed and as they landed onto the hard concrete bullets zoomed toward them wildly. 
 
When the sniper team starting shooting back he snatched the gun from the trooper’s side and started toward the wall. His hands were shaking, he was more nervous than ever. It’d been a long time since he’d shot a gun. Ever since the surgery when he started his flying career as a criminal investigator he hadn’t touched a gun once. 
 
Pressing his lips together and gulping loudly he stiffened his hold and clamped one eye shot to better aim at Leo on the other side. Steadying his breathing he pulled the trigger and watched his bullet ram itself at Leo’s feet causing him to freeze for a moment to re-gather himself. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“What the !?” Leeteuk stood up from his seat slamming his hand against the desk. 
 
A round of bullets echoed loudly in the air, the shooting coming from above and behind them. It sounded like a bizarre gun battle in a shooting game. 
 
“Stop shooting! Stop! Stop!” Yunho screamed into the phone. 
 
Siwon stared out the window at the person on the rooftop stunned and surprised. He’d become breathless by now. 
 
“You promised not to shoot!” Yunho raged into the phone. 
 
“Promises are meant to be broken, aren’t they?” Ren Gei teased. 
 
Yunho could feel him prick his nerves. It wasn’t supposed to happen. He wasn’t supposed to allow his anger to show in front of the hostage taker. It’d tell the hostage taker that he was weak and that he had the upper advantage. Yunho couldn’t lose out in his mind battle. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Stop! Stop!” Chief Kang shouted into his walkie-talkie. “Don’t shoot!” 
 
“Stop!” Yuri screamed hysterically from behind him, her eyes bloodshot red from fear and despair. 
 
She turned around to see Victoria still holding onto Donghae in desperation. Her heart was literally tearing apart for them. Yuri lifted her head when Chief Kang stepped forward. 
 
“Donghae, go.” Chief Kang urged. 
 
Donghae’s jaw tensed before he took another step forward, but Victoria refused to let go of him. 
 
Yuri clamped her eyes shut in her own desperation of just dragging them both away and placed both hands on Victoria’s shoulders. Chief Kang’s stare bore into Donghae’s eyes before he finally stepped away and toward Eui Tae. Yuri watched Donghae disappear into the building before Victoria let out a menacing scream from in front of her. 
 
“No! No! No!” Victoria thrashed her arms and kicked about. “No! Donghae! Why did you let him go!? He’s going to kill him!!!!! Chief! Donghae’s going to die! They’re all armed inside! They’re going to kill him!”  
 
“Victoria! Victoria!” Chief Kang shouted at her. 
 
Yuri felt her heart break even more. 
 
“I’ll take her back,” Yuri gently added before forcing Victoria to turn around.