Chapter 35

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
“What happened?” Yuri asked searching the drawers for some first aid. 
 
“Nothing,” Eunhyuk lied, “it was…an accident.” 
 
Yuri remained silent, “How’d you find her so fast?” 
 
“I was in track and field,” Eunhyuk quickly explained. 
 
Yuri closed the drawer after grabbing some rubbing alcohol and bandages. She started toward the living room but Eunhyuk called after her. 
 
“I’ll…bring it to her.” he offered. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana found herself involuntarily sitting on the couch alone again. When footsteps neared she expected to see Yuri, but instead found that it was Eunhyuk when she looked up. Even more anger seeped through her. 
 
Sitting down adjacent to her he poured the rubbing alcohol onto a soft pad before reaching his arm out intending to dab it at her wounds. Nana slapped his hand away hard. She turned to look at him with a glare before grabbing the band-aids and walked off. 
 
Slamming the door to the room at the back she sat down on the couch and tossed the band-aids across the room. Angry tears seeped through her eyes and fell uncontrollably one by one. 
 
She wanted her brother to be with her. If he were alive she wouldn’t have to go through this misery because no one understood how it felt to be alone. 
 
“Do you know how much trouble you’ve caused?!” Eunhyuk shouted right away. “Everyone’s looking for you! And now this?! You’re trying to get yourself killed! Going out like this is just plain suicide! How old are you? Don’t you think about anyone before you do anything stupid?!” 
 
How was she supposed to think of anyone before doing anything, when she had no one to begin with? 
 
Nana only wanted her parents back, she only wanted Junsu to pat her head and tell her everything would be alright, and that he’d beat up the people who hurt her. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Yuri had been watching from the foot of the dining room. Things weren’t really going well, she assumed. 
 
Walking in she said, “You take pain well.” 
 
Eunhyuk turned surprised. 
 
“Sorry,” she apologized. “Looks like you’ve all had it rough.” 
 
“Ah…” he smiled, “it’s ok. Really.” 
 
“Did you eat?” Yuri wondered. 
 
He nodded and remained silent. Yuri felt like talking to him, but was unsure of what to say. How would she be able to become one of his friends? Would she be able to get close to him at all? For some reason, he seemed so sullen now. 
 
“Nana…must be sulking by now,” Yuri commented, “I wonder why she wanted to leave…” 
 
Eunhyuk turned away from her suddenly becoming immersed in his own thoughts.
 
/ / / / /
 
“Here,” Changmin handed Victoria his cardigan. “It’s gonna get windy here.” 
 
After a long time of walking they’d finally stopped by a small river and sat down by a bench facing the water. The sun was brilliantly shining down upon them, but luckily the trees around were big enough to block the rays from blinding them. And yet, Victoria hadn’t said a word. 
 
When she didn’t take the cardigan from him he slipped it around her shoulders. 
 
“I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I just had to go ranting on about it. I’ll keep my mouth shut from now on, I promise.” 
 
A small smile crawled to the corner of her lips. 
 
“It’s ok,” Victoria assured, “Donghae’s been feeling insecure lately. I’ve been wondering if it’s because of me.” 
 
Changmin stole a glance at her before turning away. So they were having problems. This was something between a married couple, something that only a married couple could fix. He had no part in all of this. 
 
“I’ve been thinking,” Victoria started, “that ever since the case ended and things resumed back to normal, there wouldn’t be any more trouble. I think my keeping Eunhyuk by my side has caused some misunderstandings I haven’t been aware of, but just because Eunhyuk is a man doesn’t mean I can’t befriend him. I thought Donghae was fine with that, but seeing how things are some times…I get confused. I’ve always been lacking in friendship, so I really value Eunhyuk. He’s like…a lifesaver. That’s why…I really like your friendship with Yuri. It’s unique and special.” 
 
Changmin felt his eyebrows go up in surprise. His and Yuri’s friendship? Special? Victoria admired it? He hadn’t expected such words from her. 
 
“So I’m confused, why does Donghae let his feelings slide over the edge? I feel like Eunhyuk would know, but lately it feels like he’s somewhat hindered, and it doesn’t feel like he’ll be honest with me. So, I have no one to talk to.”
 
“Do you want to hear what I think?” Changmin asked leaning back into the bench. “I think, maybe your husband feels insecure because Eunhyuk seems overprotective sometimes, so it feels like his best friend is taking his role. Seeing that you two are friends and your husband is a detective means he might not be around much, so the time when he’s not around you spend it with your friend. It’s a man’s jealousy because he really cares for you. Your husband and your friend will have to work things out amongst themselves. Maybe you’ve done something wrong but it takes a lot of courage, heart, and effort to explain things through. If an explanation isn’t enough, then you guys will have to understand things by heart. You two haven’t been married long, right?” 
 
Victoria turned to look at Changmin taken by surprise with his wisdom. 
 
“Problems are to be expected, there’s only one way to become stronger,” Changmin said, “go through it together, become stronger, and keep your faith going.” 
 
She smiled. 
 
“I could be your other friend,” Changmin offered, “when you can’t talk to Eunhyuk or your husband, you could talk to me. Yuri’s around too, you know.”
 
“Thanks.” 
 
Changmin smiled in reply. 
 
“Have you eaten? I could get something for you,” Changmin suggested. 
 
Victoria shook her head, “I already ate.” 
 
A figure to his left made him turn and he shot up immediately. Confused, Victoria glanced at him before turning to see that Donghae had suddenly appeared. Suddenly sensing that she’d been set up, Victoria turned back to Changmin with a deep frown. All he did, though, was smile in response. 
 
As Victoria got up to her feet, Donghae walked forward, and took the cardigan off from her shoulders shoving it into Changmin’s hands before walking off with Victoria. When the two disappeared around the trees Changmin turned around and started back home. 
 
When he opened the door he found it empty. Not a soul was in sight. 
 
“Did everyone go out?” he wondered. 
 
However, as he walked further into the home he heard someone moving around in the kitchen. Coming to a halt at the end of the stairs he saw Yuri preparing lunch already. 
 
“Always in the kitchen, huh?” he started. 
 
Yuri looked up surprised, “You’re back? Things must have gone well.” 
 
“Who knows,” Changmin shrugged, “you didn’t go to work?” 
 
“Guess I didn’t,” Yuri simply replied, “guess you didn’t, either.” 
 
“Nope.” 
 
Changmin grabbed a seat at the stool and looked around. 
 
“Nana came back,” Yuri brought the topic up. “Seems like…Eunhyuk brought her back by force.”
 
“What?” Changmin sounded bewildered. 
 
“Be nice,” Yuri told. 
 
“As if I’d be mean,” Changmin snorted. 
 
Yuri glanced at him. 
 
“Then where’s Eunhyuk?” Changmin wondered. 
 
“Probably upstairs,” Yuri responded continuing to cut the kimchi apart. 
 
“And you’re not keeping him company?” he teased. 
 
Yuri glanced at him, “Seems like he wants to be alone. Something must have happened along the way.” Yuri paused and held up the knife, “If you hadn’t opened your trap in the first place then none of this would have happened.” 
 
“I didn’t mean to! Who knew this would happen! I was more scared than you! I felt like a person being held hostage for a moment.” 
 
“Tsh…still joking around.” 
 
Changmin reached a hand forward and rubbed her head, “Of course.” 
 
Yuri paused and glanced at him. Raising an eyebrow, Changmin quickly pulled his hand back. 
 
“What?” 
 
Turning away, Yuri set the knife down, “Did Lee Donghae find you two?” 
 
Changmin also quieted, “Yea…” 
 
She nodded as she the stove. 
 
“It seems, we’ve become entwined with some very complex people,” Changmin said. “Thanks Yuri, for not going to work and coming back to help out. I don’t know what I could’ve done alone.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Lying on the bed with a leg propped up over the other, Eunhyuk held up the Pokemon coin Donghae had let him have when they were younger. 
 
He didn’t hate nor did he dislike anyone either. Maybe…he’d been too cold recently and perhaps he’d brought everything upon them. If he could, he would have, but he didn’t know how to step out of their lives now. And now there were more people stepping into their circle. 
 
He had to apologize to Nana, he was aware of it. Perhaps, he’d apologize to Donghae as well then leave. There really wasn’t any need for him around anymore. Being around would sooner or later become a nuisance and he’d just give both Donghae and Victoria a hard time. 
 
The both of them mattered to him, despite all that he wouldn’t lose the two of them for the other. Victoria would do just fine in the company of Changmin, Yuri, and Donghae. On the other hand, Donghae had Yuri to back him up however he needed it. Chief Kang and Heechul would probably start moving soon, so Eunhyuk really didn’t need to worry about anything. 
 
Suddenly flipping the coin up into the air and catching it with his hand he lay there quietly waiting, waiting. When he opened his hand up again, Pikachu was staring at him with a grin. 
 
/ / / / /
 
After a long walk they finally stopped somewhere. Trees on the left, a jogging trail to the right, and the river beyond that. He let go of her hand and turned to face her without a word. They remained helplessly like that for a few minutes listening to the waves crash against the rocks. Amazingly, not a person nor animal was in sight. 
 
“I don’t have anything to keep you warm,” he said, “so lets talk and head back.” 
 
“Ok.”
 
“I misunderstood, I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I shouldn’t have said those things to you. I obviously know what kind of people you and Eunhyuk are, and I know you can’t give him up even if the world ends. Sorry, for not believing you.” 
 
Victoria smiled and reached a hand up to ruffle his hair childishly. 
 
“I know, you’re hot headed and easily jealous,” she told. “You’re always jealous over Eunhyuk. When will you get over it?” 
 
“When you make another friend.” 
 
“Don’t jinx it.” 
 
A smirk climbed onto his lips and he pulled her over giving her a peck on the forehead. 
 
Wrapping her into a slight hug he said, “Alright, I’ll put an end to everything so we can go back home together…as a family.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
The door creaked open silently and Nana looked up to see Eunhyuk walk in. Bitter feelings soared through her and she turned away unable to stand the sight of him. But even so, from the corner of her eyes she could spot him picking up the band-aids from the ground. She had to say, he looked pitiful…
 
When he started toward her she found herself turning to watch him. Eunhyuk sat down not too far from her and remained there quietly. Part of her wanted him to quickly finish saying what he wanted to say and leave, but another part of her also wanted his company. And because of that she wanted to strangle herself. 
 
She didn’t want desperation to make her yearn for someone…she was too prideful for that. 
 
“I’m sorry,” the words took her by surprise and she found her heart quivering. 
 
This time she allowed her eyes to nicely land on him. Nana found that his eyes were on the ground, however, as if he were stricken sad about something…
 
“I don’t hate you, nor dislike you,” he told quietly, “I’m aware, I seem cold and awkward sometimes, so…I’m sorry, if I made you feel awkward.”
 
Say something…say something, she willed herself, but couldn’t sort out the words to come through. 
 
Nana found it surprising how she didn’t flinch back when he reached a hand forward to push back her hair and before she realized it, he was gently rubbing some ointment onto the wound on her forehead. After finishing up on that wound, he did the same to the wound on her elbow, and knee. Throughout the process she found herself staring at him suddenly mesmerized. 
 
“Come out for lunch if you feel better,” he told slightly turning around before walking out. 
 
When the door closed Nana awoke from her trance. The room felt very warm, very, very warm. 

***:DDD

***The drama between the side characters is slowly coming to light! Just wait and seee!