Chapter 58

You Said Remember Me II

 

Victoria eyed him suspiciously, but reluctantly agreed. Since he’d helped her already, he probably had no intention of hurting her. To her luck he hailed a taxi back and even though the taxi driver stared at them the whole time he didn’t say anything. When they reached Yuri’s home Victoria finally realized she didn’t have the key with her. 
 
Pressing her lips together she tried to think of a possible solution. While thinking it suddenly hit her. If the little boy had found her all the way over here, would the gang have discovered where they were staying? Feeling her heart race wildly she spun around to look around the neighborhood. Had they really found out where they were staying? The thought made her insides scream and twist. 
 
Without a single thought she pushed and pulled at the doorknob and suddenly stopped when she realized it was useless. The backdoor appeared in her mind and without a word she raced around the house. To her luck, the backdoor was locked as well. Tears suddenly wanted to pour out of her eyes. She’d never felt so frustrated in such a long time. 
 
“Let me try,” the stranger offered. 
 
Victoria turned to him almost shocked. She’d forgotten she hadn’t come back alone. 
 
Stepping aside she watched as he whipped out a paperclip and picked at the lock. The sight amazed her and she watched as the door unlocked quietly. When he pushed the door aside, Victoria only recalled then that Yuri had an alarm system. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Sherriff Kwon,” Yuri’s office door opened. “The alarm to your house has gone off.” 
 
Yuri shot up from her chair. “What?” 
 
“Would you like to send a team to your house?” 
 
On the drive back to her house Yuri pondered her brain for any possible reason why the alarm would have gone off. Was it the gang? Or a random burglar? She glanced into the rearview mirror to see that one of the officers had followed her back as she’d requested. The alarm going off might just be a mistake, she was sure of it. Yuri didn’t want to make a big deal out of it so instead of a team she’d requested for an officer to go with her. 
 
The sun was nearly falling. It was already evening and she wondered how the others were doing. Surely, they hadn’t been scared by the alarm. 
 
Parking the car in the driveway, Yuri stepped out and walked to the front door. It was securely locked. 
 
“Door’s locked,” Yuri reported to the officer who had walked up behind her. “Lets check out back.” 
 
It made her feel somewhat nervous. No one had ever broken into her home before and it wasn’t as if she stored jewelry within her house. Why would anyone try to break in? 
 
Pausing by the backdoor she pulled at the side handle. It was well locked as well. 
 
“They must have locked the door,” Yuri mumbled. “Lets go in.” 
 
She couldn’t be sure whether the thieves were still there or if they’d already left. Since she was already there, Yuri decided to walk in by the backdoor. The dark house greeted her when she walked in. 
 
Where had everyone gone? Why wasn’t anyone in sight? Why were all the lights off? Had something really happened? 
 
Yuri’s heart quickened at the thoughts. She shook her head as she walked pass the table in the kitchen. There was no need to scare herself. 
 
“You have quite a house, Sherriff,” the cop complimented. 
 
“Lets split up,” Yuri suggested. “Since the second floor is small, you go up there.” 
 
“To your bedrooms?” the cop asked. 
 
“Bathrooms and bedrooms,” Yuri muttered in reply. “Don’t turn on the lights. If they’re still here, you might alarm them.”  
 
He nodded and headed up the stairs. 
 
Yuri walked on in into the dining room. There was no place to hide there so she wouldn’t search the room. Heading into the living room she peered over the couch, behind the TV, and even behind the curtains. 
 
Lifeless. 
 
No one was in sight. Then the back room entered her mind. Turning down the short hallway Yuri glanced around reaching a hand toward the gun she’d slipped into its case attached to her belt. She walked pass the painting of flowers and made sure that her footsteps were as light as a ballerina’s. 
 
Yuri couldn’t quite help but gulp when she reached a hand out for the doorknob. If they were hiding there she would have to threaten to shoot. Not once in her life had she made a shot at a real person. The thought of it chilled her. 
 
Taking a hold of the doorknob she twisted it and opened it immediately holding out her gun. She blinked blankly when she spotted two people in there. Reaching for the light she recognized a wounded Victoria and a stranger. 
 
“Yes, it’s nothing,” Yuri nodded toward the police officer she’d sent outside. “Thanks for coming with me.” 
 
Walking back into the house she locked the door. Now it was time for Victoria to do some explaining. While patching up the wounds on her arm Yuri listened to her talk about the little boy, Ren Gei, their fight, and the stranger who’d helped her. 
 
Yuri eyed the stranger, “And you are…” 
 
He held out an ID for her to see, “Lee Kikwang. I’ve been looking for Nana and Donghae.”
 
Yuri narrowed her eyes at him suspiciously. 
 
“I accompanied them in Cheonan to Pyeontaek where were split up,” Kikwang explained. “We were to meet up in Osan.”
 
“Then why are you here?” Yuri went on without much emotion in her voice. 
 
“I know they’re here,” Kikwang stated, “I’ve seen Nana at the soju tent.” 
 
“How do you know Nana? Why were you with Lee Donghae and Nana?” 
 
“Im Junsu, Nana’s dead brother, was my colleague,” Kikwang explained. “Where’s Nana?” 
 
“You didn’t complete my question,” Yuri reminded. 
 
Before Kikwang spoke the phone rang. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Young Ae yawned loudly as she lazily leaned against the cold wall behind her. Leaving her legs dangling over the edge of the table she was currently sitting on she busied herself with watching the light in the middle of the room. It had been threatening to die out the past few days. 
 
“It’s been an hour and a half,” Young Ae mumbled, “do you think they’ll come back alive?” 
 
Eui Tae, sitting on the chair toward the other side of the room, didn’t reply with his eyes shut. 
 
Young Ae snorted, “Jerk, you fell asleep already? Oh well, I don’t think they’ll make it back alive. That hot detective looks like a real killer and that little girl with the gun can shoot pretty well. I wouldn’t be surprised if she shoots Leo first.” 
 
The thought of Leo getting his head blown to bits amused her so much that she couldn’t help but let out a loud wild laugh. In the process of laughing she slapped her thigh and shut up when Eui Tae spoke up. 
 
“She might shoot you next if you don’t shut that trap of yours.” 
 
Young Ae made a face at him. 
 
“After all this stalking you guys put me through I’m not even allowed outside to join the fun,” Young Ae complained. “I bet Leo already ruined the plan.” 
 
The door burst open to her complaint and Ren Gei entered stiffly dragging his leg after him. A bruised up Yong Jo followed and an irritated Leo slammed the door shut quickly concealing the bit of light that had flown in. In those mere seconds they were all entrapped in the dark again. 
 
Pulling up her leg she propped an arm up on top of her knee. 
 
“You guys look like .” Young Ae commented. 
 
“ you, Yong Jo! If you hadn’t been so hasty we could have gotten two of those four bastards here!” Leo screamed. 
 
Young Ae’s pursed mouth fell apart when Yong Jo spun around and slammed his tight fist into Leo’s face. She watched as Leo took a few steps to the side from the impact and almost toppled over. Within a second’s time frame, Leo darted at Yong Jo and grabbed his shirt threateningly. 
 
“What the , man!” Leo yelled. “Everything’s a friggin’ mess because of you! We could have gotten it over with today, did you ever think about that?!”
 
Ren Gei stepped toward him and pulled Leo off Yong Jo. Immediately snatching the gun inside his pocket he slid it up Leo’s neck to his temple. 
 
“Shut up, twerp,” Ren Gei hissed. “I swear, one more move from you and I’ll shoot.” 
 
Young Ae pressed her dry lips together aware of the atmosphere. Ren Gei really intended to kill. There had always been internal arguments but never had anybody threatened to kill the other. 
 
“We wouldn’t have completed any today,” Ren Gei tossed Leo aside and turned to stare at the ground. “Some intervened. When I find him, I’m going to chuck his balls off.” 
 
Eui Tae stirred, “You know him?” 
 
“Hell I do!” Ren Gei shouted. “If I ever find out who he is, these hands of mine will squeeze the life out of him.” Ren Gei turned to Yong Jo, “Freaking bastard’s bullet grazed me across my calf. Fix it up for me.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
So many emotions flooded her while she sat on a chair in the hallway. If Changmin didn’t survive the surgery, Nana was sure she’d hate herself forever. Why had she taken the shot so recklessly? Why hadn’t she thought about how Changmin felt? He had clearly been scared since the beginning. 
 
Nana ran both her hands up her head and lowered her gaze to the ground. She couldn’t take the wait anymore. It had to be her fault that Changmin had been left defenseless. It had been her fault for dragging him along with her. If only she hadn’t called him up. 
 
The negativity raging through her made her feel only worse by the minute. 
 
“Are you ok?” Donghae’s voice entered her ears. 
 
Nana nodded. 
 
“It’ll be fine,” Donghae assured, “none of Changmin’s organs were injured. It won’t be too severe.” 
 
“What if he doesn’t come out fine?” Nana looked up at Donghae. “What if Changmin becomes disabled? What’s going to happen to him? I shouldn’t have made the shot…Yuri’s going to be angry with me.” 
 
Donghae took the seat beside her and smiled, “You know what? Nothing would have changed anyway. I believe Changmin would have come to look for me with you and Eunhyuk. No one is to be blamed, you only did what you could at the moment. It’s ok. Yuri won’t be angry, trust me.” 
 
Nana turned away from him still feeling restless. 
 
“No one other than you could have taken that gun,” Donghae told. “If you didn’t shoot first, Changmin would have been shot without a fight. Changmin will come out alive and well.” 
 
Still, Donghae didn’t get it. What would Yuri think of her? It was certainly her fault for having left Changmin alone. If she hadn’t budged she could have taken the shot instead of Changmin. 
 
Eunhyuk returned with some water and offered it to them. Nana didn’t want to take it, but Eunhyuk pushed it into her hand anyway. They sat there for about half an hour before they heard someone speed-walking down the hallway. Yuri appeared from around the corner and Nana quickly rose to her feet. 
 
“How is he?” Yuri asked, fear written all over her face. 
 
“Still in surgery,” Donghae answered. “Can you stay here with the others? I need to go search for Victoria.” 
 
Yuri’s face blanked out for a bit before she said, “Victoria back at the house. What happened? Can you tell me what happened? How did Changmin get shot?” 
 
“I’m sorry,” Nana apologized. 
 
Yuri glanced at her confused. 
 
“It’s ok,” Yuri put a hand on her shoulder before turning to the bruised up Donghae, “what exactly happened?” 
 
“Why don’t you take Nana somewhere else?” Donghae asked Eunhyuk. 
 
“Why?” Nana retorted. 
 
“Nana,” Eunhyuk lightly grabbed onto her arm. 
 
She turned to look at him before thinking about Changmin and Yuri. Of course, Yuri had every right to know what happened, how it happened. If she insisted on staying she’d only make herself look more childish and immature. Nana turned and walked down the hallway and turned a corner where she found a large window. It offered the great view of the large backyard decorated with picnic tables, benches, and greenery. 
 
Nana caught sight of Eunhyuk walking toward her from the corner of her eyes, “You’re right. I’m only a troublemaker.” 
 
“No one’s pointing fingers,” he said. 
 
“Why did you cover me? You should have covered Changmin,” Nana turned to look at him. 
 
“I thought he was aiming at you,” Eunhyuk said almost quietly. 
 
Nana turned away. She didn’t want to yell at him. She would only be directing her frustration at someone who possibly didn’t deserve it. 
 
“Can you just go be with Yuri already?” Nana questioned. 
 
Eunhyuk didn’t say anything. 
 
“You know,” Nana went on, “since you already know what game I’m playing with Changmin.” 
 
Nana turned to look at him and walked away ignoring the feeling that was twisting her inside. 

***Oooh...Nana's feelings are switching around. And what she just said hurt Hyuk

***And Lee Kikwang enters the picture! His stay won't be long, but enjoy!

***This is the last of the gang you'll see. The rest I have down is romance and drama :)
 
***I have to say, the EunNa couple is my fave right now :DD And HaeToria is still the only normal one out of the three xDD I'll get started on ChangYul now. You won't see anything between them for a while, I apologize for that but I couldn't find the perfect timing for them but now the perfect timing has cropped up! YES!!