Chapter 51

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Noticing how Eunhyuk was a few steps behind them, Donghae stopped and watched as he blankly walked forward. When Eunhyuk closed by Donghae threw his arm around his neck and pulled him over. 
 
“What’s with the gloomy face?” Donghae asked. 
 
Eunhyuk looked at him. 
 
“What are you doing?” 
 
“Trying to find out why someone cool like you has become like this.” 
 
Eunhyuk snorted and walked out of his grasp. 
 
“Because even like this I am cool.” Eunhyuk tossed a grin onto his face. 
 
Donghae stood back and watched Eunhyuk with a smirk while biting on his bottom lip. Dashing forward he wrapped both arms around Victoria and Eunhyuk’s neck bringing the two closer to him. 
 
“Aish…” Victoria mumbled. 
 
“I spotted a place nearby, should we go check and see if they have any comfortable rooms for you?” Donghae asked. 
 
“Why? It’s not even confirmed that Changmin’s parents will be coming,” Victoria told. 
 
“Well, why wouldn’t they want to stay for a few days?” Donghae countered. “Their son is lying in the hospital currently healing from a gunshot wound. You know gunshot wounds don’t just simply heal like that, right Vic?” 
 
“Don’t act like you’re babysitting,” Eunhyuk said. 
 
“Brings back memories when you say that,” Victoria muttered. 
 
Eunhyuk frowned. 
 
“How old is Hyang Soon?” Donghae asked. 
 
“Currently one,” Eunhyuk replied with a raised eyebrow still lost about how the conversation had veered toward his nephew. 
 
“Whoa…he’s so big,” Donghae seemed to talk to himself. “Do you baby-sit a lot?”
 
“What?” Eunhyuk’s frown became deeper. 
 
“Eunhyuk, you’re probably going to become our son’s nanny,” Donghae patted Eunhyuk’s shoulder with a nod. 
 
“How do you know you’re having a son?” Eunhyuk asked lost, confused, yet still sticking to the topic. 
 
“Because I say so.” Donghae bluntly replied. 
 
“Forget him,” Victoria whispered to Eunhyuk. 
 
“Hey, I’m right here,” Donghae turned to her. 
 
Victoria turned to him with a smile that said she was just making fun of him. In return he squeezed his arm around her neck choking her playfully. Meanwhile, Eunhyuk grabbed his arm and tossed it off his shoulder. 
 
“My neck can’t breathe,” Eunhyuk said below his breath. 
 
Donghae lightly pushed his head from behind. 
 
“What are you doing?!” Eunhyuk put a hand to his head and turned around. 
 
Donghae just grinned, “For some reason, I feel really happy today.” 
 
Eunhyuk frowned at him before turning around and halted before he bumped into the elevator. Donghae finally quieted when they stepped into the elevator and started on their way to the lobby of the first floor. 
 
When they stepped out he discovered that the lobby was full of patients, families, visitors, and nurses. From watching them scurry back and forth, wait in long lines at the reception desk, and by observing family members hastily whisper to each other he could only imagine how busy the hospital was every day. Donghae kind of felt glad that Chief Kang’s building had been destroyed. He’d probably have a few months off until the Chief found another place. The tension from his line of work swarmed around him everyday to the time he went to sleep. Perhaps that was why he felt so glad. That particular tension from being a full time detective had died down since the building had been infiltrated by the gang and destroyed. 
 
Ren Gei and his gang was another whole story, though. They brought the tension up a top notch, but they weren’t something for Donghae to worry about at the moment. Going out and keeping low was the only problem he had. 
 
They arrived back at Yuri’s place half an hour later. Once inside Donghae felt restless. 
 
“I’m starting to miss the sight of home,” Donghae said dropping down onto the couch. “Eunhyuk, haven’t you called home?” 
 
“My phone is currently suffering from water damage because of someone,” Eunhyuk replied taking the single seat beside him. 
 
“Oh…” was all Donghae was able to come up with. “Then you must be like me. I can’t remember phone numbers so I rely on my phone.” 
 
“I’m not like you.” Eunhyuk retorted. 
 
Victoria snorted at them from beside Donghae. 
 
“You be quiet.” Donghae snickered. 
 
“Maybe someone else should stop talking,” Victoria grabbed his chin and shook it. 
 
“Aish!” Donghae whined pushing her hand away. 
 
“If you two are just going to be like that I’m gonna get out of here,” Eunhyuk said rising up from his seat. 
 
“Wait,” Victoria called. 
 
Eunhyuk sat back down. 
 
“Are you really going to stay somewhere with Nana? Just you two?” Victoria asked. 
 
Donghae glanced at Victoria to Eunhyuk wondering why she’d even worry about it before something else crossed his mind. 
 
“Ah…just you two…” Donghae cooed nodding.
 
Eunhyuk’s jaw dropped, “Yah…” 
 
Donghae chuckled enjoying the fun of it. 
 
“Someone’s got tricks up his sleeves,” Donghae joked. 
 
“Lee Donghae,” Eunhyuk called. 
 
Finally clearing his throat he said, “Well, I mean, it’s going to be an awkward situation if you think of it.”
 
“Then what do you want me to do? I didn’t ask her along,” Eunhyuk reminded. 
 
Donghae took a breath. Eunhyuk was right about that. Nana had offered herself to leave. 
 
“Then there’s not much we can do.” Donghae half sighed. 
 
“Then how do you feel about it?” Victoria asked. 
 
Eunhyuk opened his mouth to answer, but nothing came out. His mind fell into a mess of blurs. 
 
Donghae eyed his friend closely. 
 
“When you shielded Nana, were you intending to take the shot for her?” Donghae asked. 
 
“What shot?” Victoria wondered curious. 
 
She hadn’t heard anything about Eunhyuk shielding Nana. 
 
Eunhyuk slightly turned away from him leaving him to stare at his side profile. What was running through Eunhyuk’s mind? 
 
“Instead of Changmin, you could be lying on that hospital bed,” Donghae told. “Were you aware of the risk you were taking?” 
 
He felt Victoria lean forward to get a better look at Eunhyuk. Donghae could still recall that day. It was impossible for Donghae to realize that Leo had been upstairs waiting to shoot. From where he had been in the room had prevented him from noticing Leo’s presence. Nana had really keen sight and quick senses if she’d noticed him from above so quickly. If she hadn’t taken the gun Leo would have shot her first. 
 
The sudden thought that they’d all been so close to death finally crossed his mind giving him silent shudders of fear. 
 
Eunhyuk clearly had no intention to answer him. A surge of annoyance struck Donghae. Why wasn’t Eunhyuk answering? Why was his friend being like this? Why was Eunhyuk keeping everything to himself instead of sharing anything with him? He was aware that Eunhyuk wanted to sort out his own feelings silently, but what Donghae couldn’t stand was not knowing what Eunhyuk’s troubles were in the first place. 
 
Before Donghae spoke the front door opened and Yuri stepped in. They all turned to look at each other and during that awkward moment of silence no one knew when to speak. 
 
“I thought you all would still be at the hospital,” Yuri stated. 
 
“We decided to come back early,” Victoria explained. 
 
Closing the door behind her Yuri said, “I called Changmin’s parents. They’ll be in Osan by evening and they’re going to stay three days.” 
 
“Is that so?” Donghae asked. 
 
“Have you looked up a place to stay yet?” Yuri turned to Eunhyuk. 
 
“We were going to talk about that,” Donghae butted in. 
 
“I know some cheap places,” Yuri helped, “it’s not too far from the hospital so if Nana wants to visit Changmin she could just walk. The area is quite busy day in and day out so you won’t have to worry about being followed or whatnot.”
 
“Looks like you’ve been busy looking around,” Victoria commented. 
 
Yuri just smiled at her. 
 
“I can give you all a ride and we can go check it out,” Yuri offered. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“The park?” Nana asked. 
 
“Since we’ve gone to the amusement park and the zoo already lets go to the park when I get out,” Changmin suggested. “It’s so pretty over there and I’ll teach you how to fish too. Talking about it gets me so excited. I can’t wait till I get out of here. I’m so bored already.” 
 
Nana smiled. 
 
Changmin wondered if he was bothering her. 
 
“Am I annoying you? I know I’ve been talking nonstop for the past hour.” 
 
“No. Keep talking, I like listening to you.” 
 
“Really,” he said not meaning for it to be a question. “Then, Nana, is there anything you want to do?”
 
“Not really,” she replied. “I just want to see you get better.” 
 
“I will, who says I won’t?” 
 
“Of course.” was all she said. 
 
Changmin watched her mixed expression. He couldn’t tell what she was feeling exactly. He’d thought the only thing on her mind was that she was feeling guilty he got hurt in her stead, but it really didn’t seem like it. 
 
“A penny for your thoughts?” 
 
“Hmm?” 
 
“I’ll give you a dollar when I can move around again,” Changmin told. “So, what’s on your mind?” 
 
She fiddled with her hands before turning her gaze back to him. 
 
“Nothing,” she replied, “it’s just…I said something mean to Eunhyuk.”
 
“What’d you say?” 
 
Nana pressed her lips together before smiling, “Just something.” 
 
“Come here,” he beckoned toward her. 
 
Nana hesitated before leaning toward him. Raising up his uninjured arm he patted her head hoping that it’d comfort her some. He was meaning to say something encouraging but Nana took a hold of his hand taking him by surprise. She lowered his hand from her head but still held onto it. 
 
“Changmin,” Nana started, “I might seem like a kid to you and everyone else, but just like you and the others, I’m an adult.”
 
“I know.” 
 
“I have feelings too,” Nana said. “I know you’re trying to get Yuri and Eunhyuk together, but during this time don’t make it seem too real. Getting attached to you, I really don’t want that.” 
 
He stared at her blankly. Had he done something wrong? 
 
“I…I’m sorry.” he apologized without knowing what he was apologizing for. 
 
“Don’t treat me too well, or you might really end up compensating me.” 
 
Changmin’s pursed lips fell apart. Did Nana like him? 
 
/ / / / /
 
Anyone could tell that the area was old. There was a long winding deck that ran along in front of every door, seemingly a guiding path to each one’s rooms. It served as a nice low porch where one could watch and stare at the rooms opposite them. A little patch of grass grew in between the 12 feet gap in between the left and right rooms. 
 
There was barely anyone out and around as they followed the landlady toward the room. Every brown door that flocked by was identical to all the others. Eunhyuk wondered if all the rooms were built in the same format as every other room. 
 
A golden 1100 glimmered back when the landlady stopped to unlock the door. The door led straight to a plain room, no closet, no window, just a room the size of a walk-in closet. Well, Eunhyuk guessed he wasn’t very surprised. The building was old and had the concept of being traditional and it meant they would have to sleep on the floor. It seemed fine since he and Nana would most likely be sleeping on the opposite ends of the room.  
 
“If you’re deciding to take the room, we’ll bring in the blankets and sheets to prepare the room for you,” the landlady started to explain. “How long will you be staying here?” 
 
“Three days,” Yuri answered. 
 
“All of you?” 
 
“Just two of us,” Yuri replied. “Him and another friend.” 
 
“Alright, if one of you can follow me I will register the room for you.” 
 
“I’ll be back.” Yuri told before following the woman out. 
 
When they left Victoria turned to him. 
 
“The room’s pretty small. Are you sure you will be comfortable staying here?” she sounded worried. 
 
“It’s ok.” Eunhyuk told. 
 
“Ok for you, but how about Nana?” Donghae pointed out. 
 
Why did they keep pushing Nana upon him? Eunhyuk didn’t quite get it. He wasn’t the one who’d told Nana to stay with him. 
 
“When we go pick her up, we can ask her then,” Victoria jumped in. “Perhaps she might change her mind.” 
 
Eunhyuk hoped she would. 

***Eunhyuk & Nana in such a small room...no wonder the others are worried :/

***Nana's trying to tell Changmin to stop with his kind act because it's starting to crush her heart slowly. She's warning him that she might have feelings 

***And I just want to get today over with. Lets see if I'll update tomorrow. 

***I started watching Shut Up Flower Boy Band and oh boy is it so good! But each episode is so short :"(