Chapter 54

You Said Remember Me II

 

Eunhyuk was first to wake and Victoria raised an eyebrow when she spotted him still in his clothes from yesterday. 
 
“Where’d you go this morning?” Victoria wondered. 
 
Rubbing his head still slightly asleep Eunhyuk replied, “I slept on the couch.” 
 
“The couch!?” Victoria repeated surprised. “Why? Don’t you have your room?” 
 
“Eunhyuk let me borrow it,” Nana interrupted, “he was worried I’d disturb Yuri.” 
 
Something with the look in Eunhyuk’s eyes lit suspicion in Victoria but she chose not to say anything. 
 
“Go change then,” Victoria told, “and wake up Donghae.”
 
Once Eunhyuk disappeared Victoria turned to look at Nana who had silently set herself to work. 
 
“Did something happen between you and Eunhyuk yesterday?” Victoria indulged into the situation quickly. 
 
She decided it was easier to go head on with the issue rather than go about it with small talk. Nana didn’t react the way Victoria had thought she would. Victoria had expected Nana to be surprised by her question, hesitate a bit before answering, but she didn’t. 
 
Nana smiled and shook her head, “I’m not sure. We didn’t do anything. Should I go wake up Changmin and Yuri?” 
 
“What about me?” Changmin asked appearing around the corner. 
 
“Morning!” Nana cheerily greeted. 
 
Victoria watched as Changmin rubbed the top of Nana’s head playfully before he turned to smile at her. 
 
“You’re helping with breakfast?” Changmin asked. 
 
“Mm!” Nana nodded. 
 
Something seemed off with Nana, but Victoria was unable to dwell on the topic as the others began entering one by one. 
 
“I’m so sorry that you had to come make breakfast,” Yuri apologized as she walked around the counter. 
 
“Everybody needs a day off,” Victoria insisted, “why don’t you just go sit down with the others? I’ve got Nana to help me and I’m almost done here.” 
 
Yuri glanced over at Nana who smiled back and without much of a reaction Yuri walked over to the cupboard to take out the plates. Victoria watched as Yuri started to set the table and turned back to Nana feeling somewhat sorry for her. 
 
“The eggs are burning,” Nana pointed out rushing to tend to them. 
 
/ / / / /
 
It was still the same. Nana felt so small and inferior in front of Yuri even if she didn’t speak that morning. 
 
“Here, have some more rice,” Changmin said placing some onto her plate. 
 
Nana smiled at his gesture before glancing around. Yuri had chosen to ignore them that morning and Nana couldn’t help but feel like she was the fault of it. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Don’t forget what we talked about last night,” Eunhyuk watched as Changmin patted Nana’s head before heading off to work.
 
“What? Something wrong?” Donghae asked from the side. 
 
“No,” Eunhyuk replied getting up from the table. 
 
“Where are you going?” Donghae nosily wondered getting up as well. 
 
“Outback to get some air,” Eunhyuk answered walking toward the glass door and pushing it aside. 
 
Donghae followed him out closing the door after him. 
 
Stretching his arms behind him Donghae let out a loud heave, “So, what did you and Yuri talk about last night?” 
 
Eunhyuk slightly turned to get a glance at his friend. 
 
“Nothing.” 
 
“Oh? Really?” Donghae poked his shoulder. “I know you two talked about something. Why would Yuri have come back drunk like that?” 
 
Eunhyuk glanced away from Donghae’s curious eyes. 
 
“You’re really nosey, you know that?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
Donghae nodded shamelessly, “I know. You’ve done it to me before, too. Remember when you snitched to my uncle about me and Victoria? I’m just getting you back for that, but I don’t have anyone to snitch to. Oh, maybe I should call Hee Sun.” 
 
Eunhyuk slightly glared at him. Donghae playfully punched him on the arm. 
 
“Chill,” Donghae urged, “just tell me a little about what you two talked about and I’ll leave the matter alone.” 
 
“Really.” 
 
“Really.” 
 
“We were talking about how lacking you are as someone who should be protecting Nana,” Eunhyuk quickly spat out the sentence before getting up. 
 
However, before Eunhyuk could get to the door Donghae grabbed his shoulder from behind. 
 
“What?” Donghae asked surprised by his statement. 
 
Eunhyuk was left to stare at Nana and Victoria who were doing the dishes together. The memory of Nana crying alone flew back into his memory. 
 
“Eunhyuk?” Donghae called. 
 
“Yea…” 
 
“What’s wrong with you?” Donghae wondered. 
 
Eunhyuk turned around and took his hand off him, “Don’t worry only about Victoria. You brought Nana along with you, don’t forget about her.” 
 
With that he finally managed to open the door and walked into the house disappearing upstairs. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“What was that?” Donghae asked walking into the kitchen. 
 
“What are you doing?” Victoria turned around from the sink. 
 
“Eunhyuk’s saying some weird things,” Donghae answered. “Should I go after him?” 
 
“Just leave him alone,” Victoria replied, “go and watch some TV or something. Or find something to do.” 
 
Donghae made a face at his wife before walking on. 
 
Halting halfway into the kitchen Donghae said, “Nana, how are you?” 
 
Nana turned around confused but answered, “I’m good.” 
 
“Good,” Donghae nodded, “if there’s any problem, consult with me.” 
 
The young girl laughed at him before he walked out of the kitchen. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Just ignore him, he can be such an idiot some times,” Victoria mumbled turning back to the sink. 
 
Nana just nodded. Victoria turned to gaze at the girl. She’d been more cheery than she’d often been the past week. Victoria wondered if there had been something sad that had triggered her mind to make her like that. 
 
“Are you ok?” Victoria asked. 
 
Nana turned to look at her, “What?” 
 
“Are you ok?” Victoria repeated. “You haven’t been acting like yourself.” 
 
“Oh really? Is it weird?” Nana wondered innocently. “When I’m in a good mood I tend to talk a lot.”
 
“Is that so?” Victoria asked. 
 
She wasn’t quite sure if Nana had 100% persuaded her. 
 
A while later, Victoria watched as Nana finished making the rest of Changmin’s lunch by herself. Nana had looked a bit brighter while preparing his lunch.  
 
“I’m a bit curious,” Victoria said, “do you like Changmin?” 
 
Nana glanced at her without any emotion of shyness appearing on her face. Victoria wasn’t sure whether she should take that as a sign of a ‘no’. 
 
“I just want to do something nice for him,” Nana answered, “cause he’s been so nice toward me.”
 
“So no feelings attached?” 
 
Nana bit her bottom lip and smiled with a shrug, “Maybe.” 
 
That wasn’t an answer. 
 
“Ok,” Victoria smiled. “You can finish up the rest by yourself, right? I’m going to head upstairs for a bit.” 
 
Nana nodded and Victoria walked out. Heading up the stairs, Victoria couldn’t quite fix the puzzle in her head. Reaching Eunhyuk’s room she poked her head in to find him lying on the bed with eyes closed. 
 
“You awake?” Victoria asked. “If not I’m going to smother you with this pillow.” 
 
Eunhyuk’s eyes open and he turned to look at her. Sitting up he rubbed the back of his neck. 
 
“What’s up?” 
 
“Nana’s going to the zoo in a few,” Victoria told, “do you want to go with her?” 
 
He turned away, “Why are you asking me?” 
 
“Don’t you want to go?” Victoria prodded on. 
 
Eunhyuk didn’t reply. 
 
“Something was bothering you this morning,” Victoria pointed out, “Nana and Changmin? Or is it Yuri?” 
 
“Aish…” Eunhyuk muttered. 
 
“You’re such a kid these days,” Victoria commented, “you haven’t really been yourself. What’s holding you back?” 
 
“Nothing.” 
 
“Oh yea? I bet it’s nothing,” Victoria sarcastically agreed. 
 
Eunhyuk didn’t say anything. 
 
“Don’t you and Nana have to stop by the police station soon anyway? Why don’t you just make a trip there after going to the zoo?” Victoria suggested. “Donghae’s getting pretty sulky that you didn’t tell him what you and Yuri were talking about last night. You want to do that instead?” 
 
“Why bother me with this?” Eunhyuk turned to her. 
 
“Nana isn’t going out there alone,” Victoria reminded, “she’s one of the number one target on the gang’s list.”
 
/ / / / /
 
“Heading out?” Donghae asked from his seat. 
 
“I’ll be back,” Nana held up Changmin’s lunch. 
 
“Want me to go with you?” Donghae offered. 
 
“You stay, I will,” Eunhyuk interrupted. 
 
Nana and Donghae turned surprised. She pressed her lips together to stop herself from saying anything that might end up being considered rude. 
 
“You?” Donghae asked surprised. 
 
“We’re going to stop by the police station anyway,” Eunhyuk told. 
 
“We are?” Nana asked with a frown. “But that was only a maybe.”
 
“No, we are,” Eunhyuk added. “Come on, lets go.” 
 
“I was going to go and come back with Changmin,” Nana glanced at him. 
 
“Changmin can give you two a ride back,” Victoria suggested. 
 
Another frown creased Nana’s face, but Eunhyuk opened the door. 
 
“You’re not going out there by yourself,” Eunhyuk told. “I’ll accompany you.” 
 
Gritting her teeth together, Nana walked out. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Something going on?” Donghae asked Victoria. 
 
“Nope.” 
 
“Then why is Eunhyuk going?” 
 
“Oh just because,” Victoria smiled sitting down next to him. 
 
“You’re up to something,” Donghae eyed her. 
 
Victoria laughed, “Eunhyuk’s not going to face himself if we don’t add a little push.” 
 
“What?” Donghae asked. 
 
Victoria ruffled his hair, “You don’t understand.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana uncomfortably glanced at Eunhyuk through the corner of her eyes. She hadn’t planned on bringing anyone with her at all. With Eunhyuk there, would she be able to fully enjoy herself at all? 
 
The cab stopped outside of the busy zoo. Families and friends were filing in and out of the zoo entrance, wary but glad smiles on their faces. 
 
Nana turned to open her side of the door but paused and turned to Eunhyuk, “You don’t have to come. If you want to go somewhere else, you can go, and we can just meet up at the police station later.” 
 
“I didn’t say we were splitting up,” Eunhyuk replied before opening the door. 
 
Turning around silently Nana stepped out of the taxi still clutching onto the lunch box and refused to look at him. Walking inside she glanced around at the crowd of people feeling envious of the families she immediately sighted. Her head flung back surprised when Eunhyuk grabbed her arm pulling her back. 
 
“The kids are going to run you over,” he warned. 
 
Nana turned to see a school of kindergarteners flocking in excitedly. Their shrill screams filled the air as she watched them run over to see the farm animals. 
 
“Nana!” a voice caught her ears. 
 
Turning to look ahead she spotted Changmin waving at her. A smile climbed onto her face as she waved back. Nana took a step forward and paused. She swiveled around to look at Eunhyuk before turning away. 
 
“Hey!” Changmin greeted her when she reached him. 
 
Nana grinned and held up the lunch box for him to see, “I made it with Victoria’s help.”
 
“I’m sure it’ll taste good,” Changmin assured excited before his gaze changed. 
 
Nana followed his eyes to see that Eunhyuk had strutted over. 
 
“They didn’t want me coming out alone…” Nana began. 
 
“And we’re stopping by the police station later,” Eunhyuk stepped in, “so I came along.” 
 
“Ah…that’s no problem,” Changmin smiled. 

***It's gonna be one painstakingly long day for our characters. I have a lot for you in the next chapter!