Chapter 67

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Nana opened her eyes to the darkness around her. Immediately she saw the white light from outside shine into the room. She must have fallen asleep again. At least the headache was gone. There was only the cold shivers that ran up and down her body non stop. 
 
She reached a hand up to draw away the hair that had gotten over her face and noticed the sleeve of Eunhyuk’s sweater. Had she worn it all day? 
 
Briefly exhaling she to her side and froze. Eunhyuk was also laying on his side facing her, his eyes closed. He wasn’t too far away. Not on the opposite side of the room as she’d thought. Perhaps a feet or two away. 
 
The lump in disappeared with a loud gulp and as if he’d heard it his eyes flicked open. Nana’s lips moved as if to say something but nothing came out. Eunhyuk stared back before swiveling his eyes away in every direction. 
 
What was going on with him? 
 
“Are you hungry?” he asked. 
 
She shook her head unable to move. The strong masculine scent of Eunhyuk thickened the room and Nana felt even more nervous. Her heart quickened when the room filled itself with an ambiguous essence. Nana’s heart raced as her body became clouded with a hazy emotion. 
 
A quiet gasp of surprise hit her when she heard him slowly move nearer. Another gasp quietly left her mind’s scream when he reached over to put his hand on her arm. 
 
On her arm!
 
What was happening? Nana couldn’t tell. She couldn’t differentiate nervousness from anticipation. All she knew was that she was quietly holding her breath, her heart tripping over and over within her. 
 
And suddenly his lips finally brushed hers. She closed her eyes and opened them when it disappeared. Eunhyuk was staring at her and she returned the stare. 
 
It was familiar. Definitely last night’s dream wasn’t a dream. 
 
Nana jerked back to reality when he kissed her again. Each time his lips swiped hers she felt a sort of shock flow into her. The sensation flowing through her felt aromatic, sweet, and heart pounding. It wasn’t long before his arm started raveling itself across her back pulling her closer. The muscles in her legs tensed up when he made his way underneath her blanket. 
 
His legs twisted under hers and she opened her eyes again when he stopped kissing her. She felt breathless, enchanted. 
 
As if appalled by his own doing Eunhyuk began to slide his arm back from around her, but as if her body had a mind of its own her hand grasped his arm.  
 
What was she doing?!! A scream came at her from the back of her mind before it faded and she kissed him back eagerly. The grasp on his arm tightened and in moments he had slightly hoisted himself above her. Kisses traveled from her lips to her nose and around her cheeks before he busied himself with her neck. 
 
She pulled his back to hers and hungrily kissed him again, her hands traveling from his chest to his neck and back while her legs grasped his. 
 
Nana lost herself into the night. 
 
/ / / / /
 
It wasn’t even 6 yet and Yuri’s eyes had already flicked themselves opened. She lay on her side staring at the clock which read 5:25. For a long time she watched the last digit change numbers and finally pulled herself up with a groan. 
 
Sleep had long deserted her. After rinsing her face with cold water she headed downstairs and made herself a fresh cup of tea. Pulling out a chair at the table she sat for another half hour deciding how she would deal with the case that had been brought onto her. How in the world would she cover up for Eunhyuk and Nana when they were living with her? 
 
She couldn’t bring herself to contact his family and tell them their son was involved in a homicide incident. Heck, they probably didn’t even know that he was being hunted down by a gang along with Donghae and Victoria. And the girl he’d met along the way. They probably didn’t even know how he was doing. 
 
Yuri assumed that Eunhyuk hadn’t contacted them and since his phone was water damaged they had no way to contact him either. What was she going to do about this? If the Chief found out that she was secretly protecting the only suspects who held the answer to the case, she’d lose her job. Could she cope with losing her job? 
 
No. 
 
If the truth had been given to the officer at the interrogation table, Yuri wondered if they’d be better off at this moment. Then on the other hand, the answer most likely weighed on the negative side. The police would pry themselves into Donghae and Victoria’s past. Then to discover that Donghae and his Chief were still alive would create an even bigger mix up. Yuri could only imagine the kind of chaos that might cause. 
 
What really mattered was the gang. The police force would have a hard time searching for the gang. Even Ren Gei was doing a decent job at keeping his face from being seen. 
 
For a long time, a really long time, Yuri remained at the table burying herself into her thoughts. She’d have to make a decision where no one could get hurt. 
 
/ / / / /
 
It was warm. Something felt different. The way she was sleeping was off. She suddenly began to feel nervous and immediately felt her guts wrench. 
 
Nana moved a hand, but felt it glide across a smooth and very warm surface. She shifted her eyes up and they trailed over skin, pecs, a glowing neck, and piercing lips. Unable to take it anymore, she stopped at his lips. Her heart was pounding so loud in her chest. 
 
Pulling her hand back she pushed herself back immediately sensing the mat against her . 
 
?
 
She gritted her teeth and sensed a dark future. 
 
Eunhyuk let out a soft moan as he buried the side of his face into his pillow. Even as Nana’s heart rushed she could feel a little bit of peace flow into her. He was so deep asleep. She realized she’d never really gotten to look at his face when he was calm. He actually looked pretty content…and very handsome. 
 
Nana swallowed the lump in . She sort of wanted to touch the side of his face, but her hand grasped itself into a fist. The fear of seeing him wake up was growing so fondly over her. How could she face him? How would they see each other? 
 
A hole of stupidity drew her in. Nana had never been so foolish before in her life. Offering to leave the safe sanctity of Yuri’s home had been the worst decision she’d ever made. 
 
Eunhyuk pursed his lips together and frowned a little. She wondered what kind of dream he was having. Her wonderment disappeared when Eunhyuk shifted his knee up rubbing it against her legs. This time her fear took over completely and she froze. 
 
Before her, Eunhyuk’s eyes slowly opened and they stared at hers for quite some time. During those slow minutes that ticked by she could only hear their heartbeats pound the air and the footsteps that passed their door every now and then. 
 
Eunhyuk rolled onto his back taking part of the blanket with him. Nana could feel it sliding away from her and immediately clutched with all her might making him stop halfway. Awkward silence penetrated the air when Eunhyuk seemingly understood the fact that they’d tossed his blanket away in the middle of the night only to share one. It now lay against the wall at their feet. 
 
“Sorry…” he croaked and slid out from the blanket. 
 
Nana turned away hearing him slip into his clothes before the door closed. 
 
The breath she’d been holding in forever escaped her and she turned to confirm that he’d really left. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Eunhyuk immediately began hyperventilating as soon as the door shut behind him. Dropping down to the floor he ran a confused hand up the side of his face and up into his hair. Nervousness racked his body and he wasn’t able to think straight at all. For once, he was panicking. 
 
What did he just do? What had just happened in the middle of the night? 
 
The questions were stupid and he out rightly knew the answer to them, but he couldn’t face it. Reality was too harsh on him. 
 
Eunhyuk always had morals he followed and he’d broken one of them. What the hell had overcome him last night and made him think it was alright to kiss her again? He shouldn’t have…he shouldn’t have…
 
An invisible scream of frustration escaped him when he hung his head low between his arms. He’d touched her…his body had wanted to touch her…
 
Clamping his eyes shut hoping to wave everything away.
 
“What are you doing?” a voice made him jerk his head up. 
 
He stared up at Yuri and felt a sense of alarm shudder through him. Dryly swallowing his saliva he rose to his feet. Eunhyuk could feel her watching him closely confused by his the awkwardness oozing from him. 
 
“Wh…What are you doing here?” he stuttered, usually he never stuttered. 
 
“I wanted to take you and Nana out to get something to eat. Is Nana still sleeping?” Yuri nodded her head toward the closed door. 
 
“Oh…uh…” Eunhyuk’s voice trailed on barely able to hold on. 
 
Yuri walked pass him and grabbed the doorknob. Eunhyuk’s heart let out a scream. What if Yuri found Nana lying on the ground ? What would she think? What would come of him and Nana? Worst yet, how much had he degraded Nana’s pride? 
 
The exhilarating beating of his heart came to a calm halt when the door swung open and Nana turned around dressed in a new t-shirt and jeans. Their eyes crossed quickly before both of them turned away. Their gazes were unavoidable in Yuri’s eyes and she glanced at them suspiciously. 
 
Without a question she immediately told, “Glad that you’re up. Lets go grab something for breakfast.” 
 
Somehow, Eunhyuk found himself seated next to Nana. Yuri across from them. On the small bench he made sure several times that he was seated near the edge so that he and Nana wouldn’t accidentally touch one another. 
 
They quietly chewed on their morning bread, burritos, and a cup of coffee on and beside each of their plates. 
 
Yuri was quiet as well and Eunhyuk couldn’t bring himself to wonder why Yuri had even stopped by that morning. All his nerves and senses were concentrated on not touching Nana. If their arms brushed, Eunhyuk didn’t want to wonder how red his face might get. 
 
He swallowed a large lump in his throat when he recalled her silky skin caressing his. Eunhyuk slightly shifted in his seat so that Nana wouldn’t cross his sight and heaved a nervous sigh. 
 
“Are you two ok? Did something happen?” Yuri questioned worried. 
 
“No.” they both answered in unison. 
 
Eunhyuk glanced at her through the corner of his eyes and stuffed the whole of the bread into his mouth. He half choked on it before reaching for his cup of coffee and drained the content. 
 
“I bet you’re wondering why I approached you two this morning,” Yuri said. 
 
No. The thought hadn’t been able to process itself in his mind at all. 
 
“You two haven’t been let off the case yet. As of right now, the team still wants to investigate you further,” Yuri explained, “they want me to dig out your contacts and where you live. Even if I come up with an excuse, it won’t pass for us this round. The Chief Examiner will do it or the officer who interrogated you two will do it. It’s unavoidable now.” 
 
Eunhyuk’s lungs constricted and almost cut off his needed oxygen. His mind went spinning from last night to the news emerging at hand. 
 
“Nana, I know it’s no problem for you since you live alone now,” Yuri turned to the girl before turning to Eunhyuk, “but Eunhyuk, your family might be shocked from the news.” 
 
He pressed his lips together. 
 
“I believe it’s best to contact them yourself.”
 
His lips went dry. 
 
“You can borrow the phone at the house or I can lend you my phone.”
 
Eunhyuk stared at her. 
 
“I can get to a pay phone. It’s safer that way.” 
 
“A pay phone…” Yuri started. 
 
Eunhyuk cut her off, “What if the police decide to tap your phone?”
 
Yuri’s eyes hardened. Obviously she hadn’t thought about that option. 
 
“Alright,” Yuri withdrew her persistence. “I expect to hear some news from you later. Are you two going to head for the hospital?” 
 
“No,” Eunhyuk shook his head. 
 
“I am,” Nana finally spoke for the first time that morning.   
 
/ / / / /
 
When Victoria walked into the kitchen that morning she was surprised to find Shim Changmin’s mother working at the stove instead of Yuri. 
 
“You’re up quite early,” his mother greeted with a smile. 
 
The way her hair had been pinned back so perfectly made the features of her face more striking. Victoria thought her to be a very pretty youth. 
 
“Good morning,” Victoria respectfully greeted. 
 
“Don’t need to be so formal,” the woman smiled. “Changmin’s friends are all my children.” 
 
Victoria couldn’t help but smile adoringly at the woman. 
 
“How many weeks are you?” 
 
“About 5 or so.” 
 
“Ah…the early stages of pregnancy,” the woman beamed. “Early morning sickness is going to make its way to you soon. I remember those days.” She chuckled somewhat before continuing, “Changmin’s father wanted a girl, but in the end came a son. The irony of it all. Changmin’s somewhat feminine and despises violence. He was always getting picked on at school, but if it weren’t for Yuri he wouldn’t even be here right now.” 
 
Victoria walked up to her suddenly interested in the conversation. 
 
“My husband wants a boy,” Victoria told. 
 
Shim Changmin’s eyes sparkled with soft humor, “Men, they’re despicable sometimes. When the gender of the child isn’t what they wanted, they go into the corner and whine about it. But on the other hand, your husband is so young and handsome. He does look like the type who wants his first child to be a son.” 
 
“If the baby is a boy, I’m going to make Donghae take care of the baby every night,” Victoria boasted. “Do you want help with anything?” 
 
“I’m fine, dear. Almost finished.” the woman focused her eyes on the steaming meat in the cooking pot. “I see that your husband likes sleeping in.” 
 
“He does it everyday, anytime when he gets the chance.” 
 
“I know what you mean. Oh trust me, after 20 years of marriage you’ll end up leaving him to fend for himself while you’ve already left for work.” 
 
Victoria liked the woman.