Chapter 53

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
They stopped by a convenient store and Changmin bought her a carton of milk. As they sat inside they watched the few cars speed by. Few people were walking around that night, and Nana wondered if she were at home and if Junsu were still alive would he have returned that night? Maybe he’d bring her some treats and they’d go rent some movies. 
 
“What are you thinking about?” Changmin asked from beside her. 
 
“Just…stuff…” 
 
“Oh yea?” he smiled. 
 
Changmin reached an arm over and rubbed her shoulder. It soothed her and made her feel somewhat better. 
 
“You’re very nice,” Nana commented. 
 
“You’ve said that before,” he reminded. 
 
Nana smiled.
 
“What did you do today? Did you go for another walk?”
 
That was a bad question. Nana’s memory soared back to when Eunhyuk had asked her out with him. Other than having argued with him she could feel her pulse race when she recalled the fitting room incident. 
 
“Nothing…just…you know…stuff…” 
 
He raised an eyebrow curious by her answer, but luckily he chose not to say anything. 
 
“Yuri once told me that Eunhyuk is thoughtful, kind, and full of charm. That there’s something warm and comforting about him,” Nana turned to Changmin, “is that how he’s really like?” 
 
Changmin’s mouth dropped a little before he turned away. He looked a little disappointed and Nana suddenly felt guilty for bringing Eunhyuk up. 
 
The cash register closed and the clerk gave a respectful farewell to the customer before Changmin said, “If that’s what she said, then he must be like that.” 
 
The doors automatically opened and the clerk shouted a greeting to the group that walked in. Nana watched as the happy trio started down the aisles freely grabbing this or that and arguing over that or this. 
 
“Changmin,” Nana began, “I’m pretty sure not even Eunhyuk would be able to reject someone as great as Yuri.” 
 
Changmin smiled at her. On the drive back to the house Nana began wondering why Changmin would choose to hurt himself that way. However, it had already started and if Yuri ended up empty handed it would have all been a waste of Changmin’s effort. But thinking that she was just teaming up with Changmin, who she was nothing to, kind of hurt. Why push Eunhyuk into that kind of position? It wasn’t fair for him. 
 
“You should be disappointed in yourself,” Nana silently scolded herself. “Eunhyuk probably likes Yuri too. She has everything when you don’t. Who would dare to choose you over someone smart like Yuri?” 
 
No matter how Nana tried to weigh out the pros and cons, the cons about herself were always so much more. She was just a kid Eunhyuk had forced himself to get along with. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Yuri trudged up the last of the steps messily. Tripping over the last step she landed on the carpet with her face first and moaned when she tried to gather herself up. 
 
Within seconds she felt herself being pulled up, “Are you ok?”
 
Yuri turned to see Donghae beside her and Victoria at the foot of their bedroom door wearing a worried expression. 
 
“Ah…I’m ok,” Yuri waved at them, “go back to sleep.” 
 
“Were you drinking?” Donghae questioned. “Here, I’ll help you.” 
 
“No, no, I can manage,” Yuri smiled. 
 
She took a step forward, stopped, and turned around. Walking toward Victoria she wrapped her arms around her and patted her back before releasing her. 
 
“You two are so lucky, I’m so envious!” Yuri nonsensically spoke. “I also want to get married, have some children, and live happily. You two are so lucky.” 
 
“You should go get some sleep,” Victoria took her arm gently before turning to Donghae and urging him to help her. 
 
“Ugh…I said don’t worry about me,” Yuri tried to struggle in their arms. 
 
Before she knew it she was already in bed, shoes off, blankets over her, door closed, and lights turned off. Turning onto her side and stuffing the side of her face into the pillow she sighed. 
 
“You were obviously standing up for her,” Yuri mumbled loudly, “what happened between you two that made you decide to stay? Shim Changmin! Have you come back yet? Arrgh…you just wait till I tell your mommy about this…” 
 
Burying her head into her blankets Yuri fell asleep.  
 
/ / / / /  
 
“I wonder what happened,” Donghae asked as they started back toward their room. 
 
Eunhyuk appeared at the top of the stairs just before Donghae and Victoria entered their bedroom. 
 
“Where’d you come from?” Donghae wondered when he caught sight of him. 
 
“Ah…I was out.” Eunhyuk answered. 
 
Victoria pushed Donghae back, “Yuri came back a little drunk. It’s nothing much.” 
 
“Oh…” Eunhyuk glanced toward Yuri’s bedroom. 
 
“Goodnight,” Victoria smiled before pushing Donghae into their bedroom. 
 
Once the door closed she turned off the lights and jumped into bed. 
 
“What? Why did you stop me from asking him?” Donghae wondered. “It’s just a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ if he was out with Yuri. No big deal.” 
 
“Yea, no big deal,” Victoria muttered turning onto her side. 
 
Donghae climbed under the covers with her after a small sigh. 
 
“We knew the answer to your question anyway,” Victoria said. “Why ask and make Eunhyuk uncomfortable?” 
 
“I just want to know if he’ll admit it,” Donghae went on. 
 
“Why?” 
 
“Because he never admits anything.” 
 
“Leave him be.” 
 
“You suddenly care so much about Eunhyuk,” Donghae whined. 
 
Victoria ignored him and shut her eyes. 
 
“Ok, I’m sorry for saying that,” he apologized wrapping his arm around her and giving her a peck on the temple. “Goodnight.”
 
/ / / / /
 
“I’ll treat you to some better food next time,” Changmin promised as they headed up the walk to the front door. 
 
“It’s ok,” Nana insisted, “you’ve already done a lot. How about I do something instead?”
 
When they reached the front door Changmin turned around. 
 
“Oh yea?” he smiled eagerly. 
 
Nana wasn’t sure how to react. 
 
“Then…” he thought for a long second, “make me lunch and bring it to me tomorrow.” 
 
“At the zoo?” Nana asked with raised brows. 
 
He nodded enthusiastically. Patting her head he laughed and finally unlocked the door. 
Nana followed him in and took her shoes off before unlocking the door. They reached the stairs just as Eunhyuk started coming down. 
 
“Lets talk for a second,” Eunhyuk glanced at Nana who glanced back uncertainly. 
 
“Well then, I’m going up first. Goodnight, Nana,” Changmin waved. 
 
“Goodnight,” Nana told and watched as Changmin started up the stairs and disappeared before turning to look at Eunhyuk as if she’d done something wrong. “What is it?” 
 
“Sleep in my room tonight.” 
 
Her head spun in circles, her blood rushed like a rapid stream, her heart pounded impulsively, and she wasn’t sure if her face was red or not. The words that triggered through her mind was: Eunhyuk’s room…sleep? 
 
“E…eh?” she managed after a long minute. 
 
“Yuri had a few drinks, she’s out cold, so don’t go into her room to sleep,” Eunhyuk explained. 
 
The gushing river inside her ceased at once and her heart rate immediately slowed. He should have said that first. 
 
“Oh…” Nana managed. 
 
So in the end, Eunhyuk was only worried about Yuri…
 
“I’ll sleep down here, so have my room for the night,” he went on. 
 
She didn’t answer him and silently turned to head up the stairs. For some reason she was soaked with a bit of disappointment. 
 
Entering Eunhyuk’s room she closed the door gently and looked around. Switching the lights off she lie on the bed for a long hour sleepless. Eunhyuk was sleeping on the couch for certain. Was he comfortable? Was he cold? Was he even able to sleep at all? The questions crossed her mind one by one. 
 
Finally, heeding to her mind’s desire she got up and rummaged the closet after turning the lights on. She was able to dig out a thin blanket, but it was better than nothing. Hesitating for a long while, Nana finally climbed down the stairs and glanced into the living room as she neared it to find Eunhyuk sleeping on the couch. 
 
Standing in front of him Nana hadn’t noticed how quiet it was. Not even a car drove pass in the middle of the night. It was a good thing that it was dark, though. Swiftly covering Eunhyuk with the thin blanket Nana realized that he hadn’t changed out of the clothes he’d been wearing. 
 
“You too,” a voice whispered in her mind. 
 
Ignoring the thought that neither of them had had a chance to take a shower Nana sat down on the coffee table and watched him. Allowing her eyes to trace every of his features Nana could feel her heart rate quicken by the second. Eunhyuk was really good looking, he did have charm, a lot of charm, and he seemed cool even if he was a bit mean. 
 
“But Yuri likes Eunhyuk and Changmin likes Yuri. You’re supposed to be Changmin’s girlfriend,” a voice shot at her from inside. 
 
Nana’s pursed lips fell apart before she firmly pressed them together. 
 
“Changmin isn’t that bad of a person,” she told herself before her eyes fell upon Eunhyuk’s sleeping figure. 
 
What would have happened if they hadn’t been interrupted and Eunhyuk had kissed her in the fitting room? The thought of it made Nana blush. She was being foolish…too foolish. 
 
Suddenly inching forward, Nana could feel her body temperature increase by the minute.   
 
“Changmin,” Nana began, “I’m pretty sure not even Eunhyuk would be able to reject someone as great as Yuri.” 
 
Nana opened her eyes to find Eunhyuk’s face right in front of hers. What was she doing…trying to kiss him in the middle of the night? Scrunching her hand up into a tiny fist she sat back up. It was impossible. She wouldn’t be able to do it even if he were awake. 
 
Chewing onto her bottom lip she got up and ran up the stairs. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria turned around to grab some eggs from the fridge but turned around when she heard footsteps. She was quite surprised when she saw Nana. 
 
“Oh? What are you doing up?” Victoria asked happy to see the girl. 
 
“I was just wondering if you wanted any help,” Nana shyly walked in.
 
“Sure,” Victoria smiled. 
 
Nana walked in and started cutting up some vegetables as instructed. Victoria turned to her when she caught Nana stealing glances at her. 
 
“Is something wrong?” Victoria wondered. 
 
“Uh…nothing…” Nana quickly turned away before slowly turning back. “Victoria…” 
 
“Yes?” Victoria turned to the young girl glad that she had suddenly called her. 
 
“Could you help me make a box lunch later?” 
 
“Lunch?” 
 
Nana quickly nodded. 
 
“Are you making it for someone?” 
 
“Changmin.” 
 
A teasing smile came upon Victoria’s face, “Ah…Changmin? Sure, I can help you.”
 
Nana grinned and turned away. Nana and Changmin…Victoria would have never thought of the combination. What would happen to Eunhyuk’s side of the story? Victoria was eager to know. 

***Ok, so lets clarify something here. Where does Nana stand along the lines circling her, Yuri, Changmin, and Eunhyuk? Her heart obviously is closer to Eunhyuk, but she believes he dislikes her, so she forfeits her feelings and plays Changmin's girlfriend.

***At this point, Yuri is well aware that Eunhyuk stayed because of Nana. She doesn't know why and she doesn't understand why. However, in her tangled thoughts, Changmin stands out more clearly than anyone else.

***Both Nana and Yuri are pretty sad and disconcerted at this moment.

***Lets see where HaeToria can squeeze themselves in