Chapter 8

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
No matter how much Victoria tossed and turned that night she couldn’t seem to fall asleep. Was it because she’d forgotten something? She’d done what she needed to do before heading to bed. There was absolutely nothing to worry about or stress over so then why couldn’t she sleep? She was sure that she was perfectly healthy, she wasn’t suffering from insomnia. 
 
Folding her hands on top of her belly she sighed and stared at the ceiling. Donghae’s breathing beside her was calming and she let it drift in and out of her ears. As if he’d somehow sensed her troubled feelings he scooted over. 
 
“Why aren’t you sleeping?” 
 
She turned surprised, “Did I wake you?” 
 
“Is something bothering you?” he asked putting an arm around her. 
 
“I don’t know,” she answered. 
 
“Don’t think about it and just close your eyes.” 
 
“It’s not helping.” 
 
“I’ll hug you to sleep,” he tried. 
 
“If we had a child, what do you want to do most?” she placed her hand on top of his. 
 
“Not sure,” he replied, “go on a family outing, go shopping, you can buy the food and I’ll carry the baby, we’ll teach him how to walk, to talk, we’ll argue over what clothes to buy him, and perhaps we’ll fight over him sometimes.”
 
“Tsh…” a smile crawled over her lips. 
 
“And maybe when he turns 2 we can present him with a sister,” she could feel him smiling beside him. “We’ll do everything together. Send them off to school, teach them how to ride bikes then we could all go biking together, and we’ll grow old and have grandchildren.”
 
He gave her a kiss on the cheek before burying his face in between her neck and shoulder. 
 
“But all that can wait, the time we have together now is most important. When we have kids, everything will change,” he told. “So, being like this right now is good.” 
 
Turning onto her side so that she could face him she smiled. She gave him a kiss on the lips and ran her hand through his light hair. If they could stay like that, she wouldn’t mind either. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana awoke the next morning in the room that she’d checked into last night and sat on the bed. She’d been thinking all night about why the Chinese gang would want to come to Incheon. She finally recalled that morning that Ren Gei had been convicted of murder and sent to jail by Lee Donghae. There had been something about Lee Donghae and Incheon that she couldn’t quite remember. 
 
Reaching over for her tote bag she dug through it for her wallet. Once she pulled it out she discovered the card he’d handed her before she’d walked off. Down in the bottom right hand corner was the location of his office and the city. 
 
His office was located in Incheon…
 
Were the Chinese gang intending to make a visit? 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria unbuckled her seatbelt and hesitated before getting off. Twisting her upper torso around she reached over to give him another kiss. 
 
“Call me when you’re free, ok?” Victoria asked. 
 
“Look who’s being touchy this morning,” he smiled. “Ok, I will. Work hard.” 
 
She smiled and closed the door. With a wave she watched his car disappear off into the distance. The feeling of insecurity that had been clouding her last night seemed to be fogging around her. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana checked out of the inn late that morning. Catching a taxi she gave the driver the address of the office and leaned back into the seat. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Excuse me.”
 
Sasha turned to find a man with a Mohawk standing over her. The tattoo sliding down his neck caught her attention first before she averted her eyes over to his face again. 
 
“Is there something I can help you with?” questioned Sasha. 
 
“I’d like to speak to the person in charge,” Leo stuck his hand into his jeans and glanced toward Lee Donghae’s empty desk. 
 
“Hold on a moment,” Sasha told before getting out of her chair and started for Chief Kang’s office. 
 
She opened his door and closed it behind her. 
 
Chief Kang immediately glanced up from his desk, “What’s wrong Sasha?” 
 
Sasha glanced back toward the door, “Someone strange wants to speak to you.” 
 
Chief Kang raised an eyebrow. 
 
“Send him in.” 
 
“Chief,” Sasha started, “there’s something suspicious about him.
 
“You mean…” 
 
“It’s just a feeling,” Sasha continued. “I’ll send him in.” 
 
When she opened the door she found the man pacing back and forth throughout the room. 
 
“This is a pretty nice place,” he smiled. 
 
“He says you can go in,” Sasha said. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Chief Kang looked over the man standing in front of his desk. 
 
“Have a seat. Is there something I can help you with?” Chief Kang started off. “Maybe you can start off by giving me your name and we can start settling down into matters.” 
 
“I kind of feel better off standing, if you don’t mind,” Leo smiled. 
 
“Suit yourself,” Chief Kang nodded. 
 
“I’m actually looking for Lee Donghae,” Leo said. “Is he in this morning?” 
 
“I sent him out on a job,” Chief Kang lied. “Do you have business with him?” 
 
“Oh…well…I guess you can say that,” Leo nodded his head. 
 
“What did you say your name was again?” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Parking his car in the parking lot, Donghae got out and turned to glance at the white van across the street. After a few moments he entered the building. Once he started through the door Sasha shot up from her chair. 
 
“Whoa! You scared me there,” Donghae shrank back playfully. 
 
“The Chief is meeting with someone right now.” 
 
“Oh? And…” 
 
“There’s something suspicious about him,” Sasha lowered her voice. 
 
Donghae smiled, “Gotcha.” 
 
He started toward the door and opened it. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“He’s in,” Young Ae whispered getting up from her hiding position inside the van. “How do we get this into the building now?” 
 
“Yong Jo and I will take care of this,” Eui Tae uttered under his breath. “You and Jin Young stay here.”
 
He glanced over at Ren Gei who was leaning back into the chair with closed eyes. 
 
“This plan has got to succeed if we want to get where we want,” Eui Tae warned. “No one moves.” 
 
He turned to Yong Jo and grabbed his gun.
 
/ / / / /
 
“Stop, stop, stop,” Nana called out of the taxi driver. 
 
The car stopped abruptly just a block before the criminal investigation office and got out. 
 
“Keep the change and drive off the way we came,” she called closing the door. 
 
Once the taxi disappeared down the road she turned to glance at the small brick office building. The road was near empty that morning and she wouldn’t have guessed that the gang had placed road signs in the middle of the roads saying that the roads were closed early in the morning.
 
Moving out of sight she started toward the trees near her and hid carefully between them. Peeking her head out a little she watched as the two men hurried toward the building discreetly. One of them was carrying something in his hand. It was a thing that she couldn’t quite make out. But one thing was for sure. The Chinese gang had really made a visit to the investigator. 
 
Were they planning something dangerous? 
 
Nana glanced back toward the van. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Chief Kang didn’t look delighted to see him that morning. Donghae closed the door behind him awkwardly as he entered the room. As he started forward he glanced at the man with the Mohawk wondering what he needed from them. He wasn’t a usual client, Donghae realized. 
 
“Is something going on?” Donghae questioned with an arched eyebrow. 
 
“This is Leo,” Chief Kang introduced, “he was looking for you.” 
 
Donghae turned back to look at the stranger. 
 
“Can I help you?” Donghae asked. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Sasha got up from her seat again when two man entered through the door. What she first spotted was a black tube one of them was holding. 
 
“Excuse me,” Sasha called. 
 
Eui Tae turned immediately and took out the gun he’d been hiding inside his jacket. 
 
/ / / / /
 
A loud noise, that similar to a gun shot, vibrated throughout the building. Chief Kang and Donghae’s eyes grew wide with confusion when they turned to look at the door. Bewilderment crossed through Donghae’s body when the Chief suddenly pulled him back. 
 
“Who are you?” Chief Kang demanded. 
 
Donghae glanced at the Chief before turning back to the grinning Leo. The office door suddenly burst open and the shadows of two men appeared. 
 
“Take off your jackets,” Eui Tae ordered pointing his gun at them. 
 
Donghae stared at them shocked. His heart raced in fear for the unknown future that lie ahead of him. Before he could catch on he felt someone his fist into his guts and throw him to the ground. Leo grabbed him up to his feet and slammed a fist across his face. Donghae’s mind spun dizzily. For a moment he felt as if he couldn’t control his body. He couldn’t will himself to do what he wanted to do even as the pain shot itself across his ribs, his legs, and the core of his brain. 
 
“Donghae!” the Chief’s voice entered his senseless ears. 
 
“Don’t move,” Eui Tae warned. 
 
“Leo would you stop ing around?!” Yong Jo scolded. 
 
Chief Kang watched as Leo dropped an unconscious Donghae to the ground before he turned to face him. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Three men exited through the door with bodies on their backs. Her eyes grew wide as she skimmed what looked like dead bodies and recognized one of them to be the investigator. One of the men dropped a body onto the ground before running with the other two back to the van. Afraid of being caught Nana immediately hid herself behind the tree and gulped. 
 
What the heck was going on? 
 
She waited silently feeling her own nervous sweat stuff the air before the engine of the van veered pass her. Stepping out of the shadows she stared at the license plate and engraved its numbers into her memory before a loud ‘boom’ made her hair fly and shot her back. When she stumbled back and lost her footing she found her hands automatically flying over her ears to protect them from the heat wave as well as the noise that seemed to shake the ground. 
 
A school bell rung in her ears before she struggled up to her feet. Pulling her hair away from her face she turned to look at the burning building that had suddenly crumbled to pieces. Her heart beat accelerated in fear as gaped wide open at the destruction before her eyes. 
 
“Oh my god….” she muttered with trembling lips. 
 
Running forward a few feet she paused and remembered the body they’d left behind. Was it burning? Or had it been destroyed along with the building? 
 
“Oh my god…oh my god…” Nana pulled a hand over her lips. 
 
She glanced around hopelessly and took another few steps forward before recalling that she had her phone on her.