Chapter 83

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
“Ah…” Victoria moaned when she pulled herself up from the ground. 
 
She’d been sleeping in a very uncomfortable position. Once she hoisted her upper body up she wondered how Donghae could let her sleep so awfully. She glanced around at her bare surroundings and realized she was not in Yuri’s guest room, but a gray room with large humming air vendors and water tanks at the back. 
 
“Are you ok?” 
 
Victoria turned to see Nana sitting against the wall, a bruise on her forehead. 
 
“What are you doing here?” Victoria frowned. 
 
“No, we.” 
 
Victoria got up to her feet and fully took a glimpse of the room they were in. It was a greasy factory. The abandoned one she’d come across when the little boy led her to Ren Gei. 
 
“We’ve been abducted.” Nana’s solemn voice said as she rose to her feet. “They’ll be back in an hour. In that time, we should look around and see if there’s a way out.” 
 
She took a step forward, but Victoria tossed an arm out halting her. 
 
“No, stay where you are.” Victoria instructed. “Don’t you hear that? It sounds like a large freezer or something.” 
 
Nana quieted. 
 
“We’re in the middle of a freezer,” Victoria said. “Through that door is a freezer. We’ll freeze if we go out that way.”
 
She skimmed her eyes to get a better look and finally turned around to see a large fan above them. It’s large fans spinning hectically each turn vibrating crazily throughout the building. What was it used for? 
 
Victoria took a step forward and glanced around at the large metals pipes at the back of the room before her eyes landed up on the staircase leading up to the second floor. A steel walk had been built overhead so that workers could easily move around the pipes to correct any malfunctions. 
 
So there really just one door and that was through the freezer, but how big was that freezer? And was there another room to escape through the freezer? Victoria spun around to look up. Where did that door on the second floor lead to? The roof perhaps? 
 
There were many other unused pipes leaning against the walls, but they looked as if they hadn’t been used in a while. Their rusty texture told of old stories Victoria would never know of. 
 
Just what was this room used for? Victoria stared at the heater in the middle of the room and wondered if it was still in use. 
 
“You know where we are?” Victoria questioned. 
 
“I think I do.” 
 
Victoria gritted her teeth together. What should she do in the meantime before the gang returns? There was no way she wanted to face Ren Gei alone. Should she wait for Donghae? But how long would it take for him to get to her this time? She couldn’t rely on just him alone but herself as well. 
 
What was she going to do? So that her actions would benefit both her and Nana? 
 
/ / / / /
 
Donghae had learned that in the middle of the night, the alarm had gone off. Changmin was first to run downstairs since he hadn’t been asleep at all. Two men had snuck into the home, but Changmin hadn’t been able to fight with his gun wound still healing. He was attacked in the back and from the front, therefore he’d been knocked out easily. 
 
Yuri had been on her way downstairs, but she’d been quickly ousted with the chloroform they’d had in hand. And that was when Donghae had awoken to the attackers, but it’d been too late. 
 
The cops arrived about 10 minutes later to an exhausted Changmin and everyone else had gone into an unconscious state. Only Victoria had gone missing. 
 
Chief Kang had arrived at the police station near midnight only to discover the mess they were in and immediately ordered for a warrant so that they could have Eunhyuk in their custody. The warrant had taken 6 hours to come in due to a conflict about taking a suspect in some other bureau’s homicide case. It turned out, Chief Kang had pulled some strings after all and had detached Heechul to retrieve Eunhyuk. 
 
And as it turned out, Nana had been taken while Eunhyuk had been handcuffed to the cage. So there were two missing persons who were in danger. 
 
It burned Donghae’s heart to know that Nana wouldn’t be able to return to the home she longed for. She wouldn’t be able to go back and take back her brother’s body either. And not just that, but they’d taken Victoria. His Victoria. 
 
He leaned his head to the side and stared out at the trees racing by. Ren Gei…that person would be there. Just what was he planning this time? 
 
“You have people in Osan too, Chief?” Donghae questioned without turning to look at him. 
 
“I have connections all around, Donghae. I worked in the bureau way before you even arrived to the police school,” Chief Kang explained. “Of course, I have connections.” 
 
“Then why the hell didn’t you say anything!? I could’ve gotten help, I could’ve done something the whole time I was trapped here in Osan!” 
 
“We were dead, Donghae. Do you remember? We were dead.” Chief Kang reminded. “What good would appearing do? Nothing but lead to questions and another investigation that would lead to another whole level of suspicion. You know what that would do then? Lead the trail away from the gang. They’d do whatever they can to discover foul play. Officer Kwon’s Chief in charge doesn’t take orders from anyone but the government, the higher-ups. They’re not us who work on cases requested by the needy. You got that?” 
 
Donghae gritted his teeth. 
 
“There’s been suspicious activity near the abandoned plant downtown,” Chief Kang went on, “lights would go on in various buildings at night, people have reported that they’ve been robbed or threatened around that area. A kid reported that his camera had been taken by a woman, supposedly that could be the woman who took the pictures of Eunhyuk and Nana at Officer Kwon’s home. I’ve stationed two squad cars there since 4 in the morning. If that’s where they are, we’ve got them nailed. You’ve never dealt with a hostage situation before, have you?”
 
“I’ve heard stories,” Donghae muttered. “Ones where they focus on getting the criminals out before the hostage’s safety. I don’t think I can do it.” 
 
“We’re going to the hotel first. To check up on Shim Changmin and Eunhyuk. I’ll have to request for you to stay with them an hour or two. If things go worse than what I’ve foreseen, I won’t call you on.” 
 
“What do you mean by that? Don’t let anything happen to Victoria, Chief, please!” 
 
“I can’t guarantee anything. This is a pretty dangerous gang we have here, Donghae. Even more dangerous than what I’ve thought.” 
 
Donghae gripped onto his seatbelt with all his might. 
 
“You’re scaring me, Chief.” 
 
“Oh yea? Well I can’t apologize for that,” Chief Kang made a rash turn at a yellow light. “Do you want to hear the profiles of those people?” 
 
Donghae didn’t answer. 
 
“Leo’s known as a vicious boy. He was arrested for suspicion of killing his friend at the age of 8, but he was let go after no further evidence was acquired. He’s been known to get into ferocious fights. His anger runs on like a dog. Been known to hang out at the bars, a lot of woman, you know? He has along record of participating in abusive relationships, brought in for interrogation, but nothing further than that. 
 
“Now this is where it gets even more dangerous. Song Yong Jo has a bachelor’s degree and even went to school for a Ph.D. He worked in the medical field for 10 years counting the 5 years he studied for his Ph.D. He was known to have extravagant knowledge in his science studies. But he was arrested for murder when caught on tape for cutting apart a half conscious man’s body and selling his organs. During interrogation, he admitted to working with the black market obtaining organs for an organization we still don’t know of. He served 10 years in jail. Scare you, doesn’t it? How someone who has been educated can turn out like this.” 
 
Donghae shifted in his seat uncomfortably. 
 
“Yun Eun Tui, a body builder. Also graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Kinseology, health of the bodies. He worked at a gym after graduation for a few years, was known for being friendly and often socialized with his trainees. Most were women, a few men. A few victims reported broken bones while out with him, majority were attacked out of anger. They don’t even know what from. When he was brought in for interrogation, he was quite a calm one. Disturbing and surprising at the same time. Why he’d be in the gang, I still can’t figure that out. 
 
“Young Ae never completed high school, never went to college. She’s been known for robbing her friends of their belongings. Smart at retrieving information, even stole exam report cards from her teachers desk without him knowing. She’s good with data information, but that she needs a computer for. What’s scary about her is that she grew up in a druggy environment. Her parents sold drugs, her siblings did drugs, she must’ve done them herself. 
 
“This gang, Ren Gei’s gang he put together sold drugs overseas. They have a history of having known each other in China before reuniting in Korea. Drugs were their first base of business, I’m not sure what they’re up to right now. They’ve been awfully quiet lately. I’m sure you noticed too. If they’re after Nana and Victoria, this is their last straw.”
 
Donghae gulped. 
 
“What about the other guy? There was another guy,” Donghae remembered the one back at the shack they were imprisoned in, the man that Chief Kang had fought off while he and Nana ran away.  
 
“Ahh…him. Jin Young was known as an owner of a popular merchandise bargaining store in the black market. He sold various weapons, knives, guns, spears, axles, machetes, anything you want, he’ll have it. He was arrested 15 times by the cops for getting into fights, for threatening others, and once he was arrested for attempted murder. But we don’t need to worry about him.” 
 
“What do you mean we don’t need to worry? He’s a part of the gang!” Donghae found his voice way above normal. 
 
Chief Kang parked his car in the lot and they both jolted forward in their seats. 
 
“You see this,” Chief Kang pointed to his chest where Jin Young had shot him, “I survived this. When I say we don’t need to worry about him, we don’t.” 
 
Chief Kang got out of the car and stared up at the large white building looming up into the air in front of them. He heaved a long breath and turned to Donghae with hands in his pockets. 
 
“It’s going to be a long day. The hostage specialists and his gang are going to be arriving in an hour.” Chief Kang informed. “Lets go meet the others before I leave.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
The door opened and closed and Yuri walked in with a bottle of water. She handed it to Eunhyuk who took from her silently. 
 
“I can imagine how you feel,” Yuri sympathized, “I also feel sad Nana wasn’t able to leave like she planned. Don’t worry, they’ll try their best to get them both out.” 
 
“You’re going too, Yuri?” Changmin questioned from the bed he was sitting on. 
 
The officer Chief Kang had informed them about had rented out a small single room for them to stay in during the meantime. Its yellow pastel colored walls healthily reflected the sunlight striking them from the window. Changmin had turned the small TV in front of them on to quiet the silence, but he’d turned it off 5 minutes ago when Yuri dropped by. 
 
“I’m going to help scout the others,” Yuri explained, “Chief Kang wants me to be join the troopers in charge while he communicates with the hostage specialist. I heard he’s going to be here in about an hour and he has a team with him too. If lucky, it’ll end in a day.”
 
“There’s not going to be any shooting or bombing is there?” questioned Changmin. “Maybe you shouldn’t go.” 
 
Yuri smiled at his warm heart, “I’ll be ok. I always come out alive.” 
 
“There are times when people aren’t as lucky,” Changmin retaliated. 
 
Yuri’s smile wavered, “Of course some people die.” 
 
She turned to look out the window and turned back to Changmin. Walking over to him she put a hand on his shoulder. 
 
“Who do you think I am?” Yuri asked. “You’re just scared no one’s going to help you pay the bills, aren’t you?” 
 
“I’m not joking right now,” he warned sternly. “Hostage situations are scary. Not just for the victims, but the officers involved.”
 
She stared at him taking in his striking features before daringly running her hand up the side of his face and into his hair. 
 
“I’ll come back,” Yuri promised before looking away and toward Eunhyuk who was still standing against the wall, “after we get Nana and Victoria out of there.”
 
Someone knocked on the door. 
 
“I’ll get it.” Eunhyuk offered. 
 
He set the water bottle aside and opened the door for Chief Kang and Donghae. Yuri stepped away from Changmin setting her mindset toward the task at hand. Chief Kang strutted in with such high authority that Yuri wondered if Donghae ever felt intimidated by the chubby man. 
 
“I’m going to have Donghae stay here until I call for him. If you wouldn’t mind watching him during this time, Eunhuk, so that he doesn’t do anything foolish. He doesn’t need to end up lying in the hospital again,” Chief Kang slightly turned to look at Eunhyuk. “This hostage situation will most likely catch the news sometime around evening. If I don’t call or if you receive no report, you can catch it live on TV.” 
 
Yuri couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic or trying to cast a joke at the end. 
 
“Officer Kwon is the only person permitted to come with me,” Chief Kang reminded, “and remember Eunhyuk, to keep watch on Donghae. Lets go, Officer Kwon.” 
 
“Yes, sir.” Yuri stepped forward. 
 
Chief Kang turned toward the quiet Donghae, “I’ll bring her back. Don’t worry.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria found herself staring up at the staircase. She didn’t know what to do. They were locked in a room with no escape. 
 
That face, that smile, those eyes…they burned into Victoria’s like an iron piercing its mark into an animal. The corner of his lips curbed up as he stared down at her. The familiar resolute fear Victoria had felt when she was first abducted by him flew back into her by sweat. 
 
What was she going to do? What was going to happen? 
 
Victoria could only stare up into his tempting eyes before the door behind him swung open. 
 
“Whew! That was a good smoke!” Leo clapped his hands. “Oh? They’re awake?” 
 
Leo peered over the edge of the railing from the second floor and snickered down at them. 
 
“What, this is it? These two names you two have been chanting like a spell for months?” Young Ae appeared from behind Leo. “Look at them es staring at us.” 
 
She tossed a bar of gum into and chewed away. 
 
Ren Gei turned away from her and slowly started his long march down the stairs toward her. The sweat trickled down the back of Victoria’s neck as she watched him come closer and closer. Her body screamed out for help, but she was frozen in place. 
 
Was this the same friend she’d met back at rehab? The one who’d turn into a menacing replica of the devil? 
 
“And so we meet again,” Ren Gei started toward her. “I saw your investigator last night. Sleeping next to you so pitifully.”
 
Victoria clenched her hand into a fist in order to stop her hands from trembling. 
 
“But what am I going to do to you now?” Ren Gei rovered his over her body. “Are you going to share yourself with me?” 
 
Victoria felt her eyes go wide when he grabbed her hand, but was quickly pushed back. 
 
“Leave her alone!” Nana shouted. 
 
Ren Gei grunted. 
 
“Leo, get your damn chick out of the way. Unless you want her to be my dinner,” Ren Gei growled. 
 
Victoria stared at Nana’s back. What was she doing? Why was she cowering in front of someone who belittled her and looked at her like an item while allowing the young girl before her to stand up for her? Shameless…Victoria felt shameless. 
 
“It’s ok, Nana.” Victoria tried. 
 
“No! It’s not!” Nana refuted. “You can’t let someone like this talk to you like that.”
 
Ren Gei grabbed Nana’s arm ing her toward him. 
 
“‘Someone like this’?” he imitated her. 
 
“Don’t you dare touch her! She’s mine!” Leo screamed from above. “That ! You better not lay even one scratch on her!”
 
Ren Gei let out a growl and tossed Nana back so hard she almost tripped over her own feet. He turned to Victoria and grabbed her long hair pulling her head back. 
 
“You really start to annoy me lately,” he muttered, “you’re always getting away so easily. Who was it that helped you last time? Another one of your boyfriends?” 
 
Kikwang? Victoria wasn’t about to answer but let out a shout when he pulled more on her hair. 
 
“Should I trade you for Lee Donghae and make him regret ever marrying you?” Ren Gei whispered. “Should I?”