Chapter 29

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
“Do you think they’re doing fine?” Changmin asked from his plate of food. 
 
Yuri who was still cleaning up the stove behind the counter glanced at him. 
 
“Are you worried?” she questioned. “Don’t you think you’re being too much?” 
 
“No,” he replied solidly, “it’s not wrong to wonder. I mean, the people who are after her are still lurking around. We should be worried.” 
 
“Of course,” Yuri agreed, “but they’ll be fine. Victoria’s a smart person, so is her friend.” 
 
“Her friend,” Changmin snorted at the way Yuri had said it. 
 
Yuri made a face at him before walking over to the table and sat down, “What’s with you? Don’t forget that they were once involved with that escapee, Ren Gei.” 
 
“It doesn’t mean her friend,” Changmin emphasized the words once more, “was involved with him.”
 
“They were already good friends then,” Yuri shot out. 
 
Changmin raised an eyebrow, “Ooh? Are you assuming or do you know something?” 
 
Yuri hissed. 
 
He laughed enjoying his small moment of finally getting to , “You’re still single, so is he.” 
 
Yuri watched with much dislike as Changmin shot his eyebrows up and down, a mischievous smirk across his lips. 
 
“You’re big talkative mouth must have interrogated him, huh?” Changmin went on. 
 
“But I bet he’s not interested in anyone,” Yuri shook her head ignoring him. 
 
“Oh?” Changmin was surprised. “Disappointed?” 
 
Yuri’s hand shot up with the spoon in her hand and threatened to hit him. 
 
Changmin flinched back before saying, “He is a bit intimidating around Victoria. Do you think they could possibly be more than ‘just friends’?”
 
“Oh, why you!” Yuri shot her hand up once more. 
 
“I’m just curious!” Changmin yelled offended by her threat. 
 
Yuri created another face at him before putting her hand down, “It’s their business.” 
 
“But you must have at least been curious as well,” Changmin quietly muttered. 
 
She glanced at him through the corner of her eyes. 
 
“Well they are close friends,” Yuri said feeling sort of guilty that she’d allowed Changmin to chide her into speaking about the topic. She looked away before eyeing him, “And why do you have to feel intimidated by him when he’s around Victoria? I hope you’re not thinking what I’m thinking. She’s a married woman, Shim Changmin!” 
 
Changmin’s jaw dropped as if insulted, however before he could retort the ringing of the doorbell made the two of them turn. 
 
Yuri’s eyebrow shot up, “Who’d be visiting us during dinner time?” 
 
Changmin watched as she got up from her seat to get the door. He got up to stand in the doorway of the kitchen wondering who it was. His eyes really widened in surprise when Eunhyuk and Victoria stared back at Yuri with guilty, yet sorry smiles on their faces. 
 
Yuri rushed the two into the warm kitchen for a meal before allowing them to explain their selves. Changmin found himself chaotically searching the cupboards for extra plates and utensils. When he returned to the table he felt awkward silence.
 
“I’m sorry for coming back here,” Eunhyuk apologized, “we must be inconveniencing you two.” 
 
Changmin and Yuri quickly shook their heads in denial. 
 
“Oh no…you two aren’t of inconvenience at all,” Yuri waved her hand in retort, “Changmin and I were just talking about the two of you.”
 
Changmin caught sight of Victoria’s forlorn face before Yuri shot him a quick glance to keep his mouth shut. 
 
“Did something happen?” Yuri asked. “Honestly, your faces don’t look so well.” 
 
Eunhyuk shifted in his seat before glancing at Victoria. 
 
“Victoria was attacked,” Eunhyuk explained. 
 
Changmin’s eyes widened once more. 
 
“What?!” 
 
Yuri shot him a small frown shutting him up. 
 
“How? Did they follow you?” Yuri asked. “Did you catch the face of the attacker? You should have reported it to the police.” 
 
Eunhyuk looked flustered for some reason. 
 
“Actually, we would have…but something else came up and I wasn’t able to catch his face,” Eunhyuk calmly told. “I’m thinking, here is the best place to stay for now.” 
 
Yuri wanted to ask some more questions, but found it inappropriate as Eunhyuk didn’t seem willing to share any more information. 
 
“Ok,” Yuri gave in, “I’d like it for you two to stay here as well. Feel free to make yourselves at home.” 
 
“Oh…and Yuri cooked up a lot of food,” Changmin offered, “eat some before heading up.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana stared at the small room they were stuck in. Just how many more days would she have to spend staying in a small room before going back to her home? Why did it feel as if she was getting nothing done? The small thoughts irritated her so much. 
 
She looked up at Donghae who was sitting on the other end of the room staring out the window. How was he able to remain so patient when his wife was still in danger? How could he want to head back to meet up with his Chief instead of heading straight for the bad guys? Shouldn’t he be as anxious and more worried than her? Was he planning to throw her to Kikwang and continue the search himself? Nana frowned and wondered if she could trust the man she was beginning to befriend. 
 
On the other hand, how was she able to have so many doubts about him when he was seemingly the only person she could trust other than Kikwang? Nana turned away exasperated by her own psychotic thoughts. 
 
Here Donghae was, being as nice and patient with her as he could and she was thinking of such mean things. Of course, she’d get her revenge one way or another. Even if Donghae wanted to stop her, he wouldn’t be able to. She already knew that. 
 
“I’m sorry,” Nana apologized. 
 
He stirred in his spot. 
 
Nana half glanced up before returning her eyes to the ground. 
 
Crossing her legs she continued, “For being an idiot earlier. I was just angry at myself.” 
 
The corner of Donghae’s lips curved upward, “We all get hotheaded.” 
 
“I know I’m incapable of doing this alone, so thanks for letting me follow you,” Nana said. 
 
They were silent. 
 
“It seems a bit unrealistic, huh?” he asked. 
 
Nana looked up at him again. 
 
“This chase,” Donghae went on, “that your brother’s suddenly gone, my wife’s missing, and I’m presumed dead. But we’re out here searching for answers with nothing guaranteed.” 
 
“You sound tired,” Nana commented. 
 
He smiled slightly, “I am, but I can’t be tired.”
 
“Your wife…” Nana felt awkward asking, but she was curious. “What would she do for you when you’re tired?” 
 
“Leave me alone so I can sleep,” Donghae answered, “but really, when I’m tired, I just want to be with her. When I have her in my line of sight I feel energized again.”
 
“You make marriage life sound so good,” Nana told, “I’d want someone who would look after me like you to your wife.”
 
“They come when you most unexpect it,” Donghae smiled once more. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“What in the bloody hell happened to you?” Leo murked from the side. 
 
Hidden in the shack they’d found on an abandoned farm, the whole group had gathered together. Young sat on the table by the wall busy chewing on her old piece of gum while she stared at Ren Gei who was getting a checkup from Yong Jo. She was amused that such a tall man had gotten himself beat up so quickly. 
 
Young Ae snorted before commenting, “Why in the world did you just run out? You should’ve finished him off and just took Victoria.”
 
“Easier said than done, woman,” Ren Gei shot her a stiff glare. 
 
“Tsh…” Young Ae muttered turning away. 
 
“Ignore that cat,” Leo muttered. “So who did it?” 
 
“It doesn’t look too bad. You’re going to be severely bruised,” Yong Jo concluded, “hit you pretty damn hard. He’s no joke.” 
 
Ren Gei moaned as Yong Jo stepped away from the flickering light above them. For some reason they seemed to have fate with flickering lights. 
 
“Add him onto our list,” Ren Gei paced through the small room they had. 
 
“Who?” Leo questioned. 
 
“Were you listening at all?” Young Ae snapped. 
 
Leo shot his head to look at her, “Don’t you scorn me, .” 
 
Young Ae snorted again and jumped off the table, “You want to see how much of a I am?” 
 
“Shut the hell up!” Ren Gei screamed. 
 
His deep voice echoed throughout the tiny empty shack they were in causing both Young Ae and Leo to jump in surprise. 
 
“Before I add you two on the list as well,” Ren Gei glared. He turned away from them, “The man with Victoria, Eunhyuk.” 
 
“You know him?” Yong Jo asked surprised. 
 
Ren Gei glanced over at the quiet Eui Tae who had arms crossed and eyes shut before continuing on, “Of course I remember him. I would have gotten rid of him if we hadn’t been interrupted.” 
 
“How interesting,” Leo commented. 
 
“Eui Tae, you’re in charge of bringing him to me,” Ren Gei shot him another glance. 
 
“Why?” Leo asked looking over at the quiet man. “Doesn’t that make the tasks uneven for us?”
 
Ren Gei shot him another hard stare, “Because I feel Eui Tae is capable of carrying the task out. You wimp and the rest of the team are in charge of gathering the rest. I don’t care how you divide up the tasks.”
 
“If it’s going to be that way, none of you guys touch the character on the list,” Leo slightly cast his eyes at them, “Nana, alone, is mine.” 
 
Ren Gei met with his eyes.
 
“Because the ’s brother messed with my woman,” Leo explained as if proud that he also held a grudge. His eyes swerved over to Ren Gei’s and as he smiled he said, “Don’t you dare touch her. As long as I don’t touch yours, don’t touch my target.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
“What do you think could have happened?” Changmin quietly whispered to Yuri in his room. 
 
“Shh!” Yuri gestured a finger to her lips and glanced outside Changmin’s bedroom door to make sure Victoria and Eunhyuk weren’t nearby. 
 
“It hasn’t even been a day and something already happened,” Changmin commented quietly, “do you think this problem is more serious than we think of it? It’s scary.” 
 
“I’m starting to worry too,” Yuri agreed, “they found them too fast.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Still worried, Eunhyuk followed Victoria into her room and watched her sit down upon the bed. 
 
“Are you still hurting?” Eunhyuk questioned. 
 
Victoria shook her head, “I’m ok.”
 
“If you don’t feel well, you have to let me know,” Eunhyuk urged. 
 
She was silent for a long while before saying, “Thanks, Eunhyuk. Really, for everything.” 
 
A soft spot inside him stirred and he smiled gratefully. 
 
“I know,” Eunhyuk smiled and patted her shoulder. “I’m here for you any time.”