Chapter 5

You Said Remember Me II

 

The next morning after a quick meal they headed out as planned. They rode a couple bike along the trail, sat on the bench and had some snacks, went horseback riding, went up a short mountain, took some pictures, and returned for dinner. When the sun began sinking, they went walking around the roads for half an hour before finally returning to their place. 
 
Sitting down on the bed feeling tired Victoria yawned wondering what Donghae was up to. Slipping her shoes off she neatly set them aside before he poked his head in. 
 
“What are you doing?” he asked. 
 
“What are you doing?” 
 
“I thought maybe we could play a board game.” 
 
He walked into the room, leaning his arms on either side of her against the bed, and observed her face. 
 
“My, why isn’t Victoria Song lucky to be married to Lee Donghae,” he smiled. 
 
Victoria snorted at his remark. 
 
“I mean it,” he told pecking her on the lips. “Because I am so handsome.” 
 
“You’re not that handsome,” Victoria commented. “You’re just full of it.” 
 
“I’m confident,” he corrected playfully nipping her neck. 
 
She laughed and shrank back, “That tickles!”
 
Putting his arms under hers he tossed the two of them onto the bed and rolled over. 
 
“Lee Donghae is lucky that Victoria has decided to take care of him for the rest of her life,” she smiled down at him. 
 
The corner of his lips turned into a smile before he traced a hand over her cheek. 
 
“You’re really beautiful today,” he commented. 
 
“I know,” she kissed him. 
 
He turned her over again and could feel his hand steal it way around her waist. The touch tickled her nerves and made her want to shrink away, but she didn’t hate it. 
 
Almost leaning his forehead against hers, he whispered, “I love you.” 
 
“Me too, I love you.” 
 
She traced the outlines of his face pulling him toward her. His soft kisses landed on her nose, her cheeks, and her neck before they got lost into the night. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Some idiots wrecked havoc in the suburbs last night,” a woman noisily complained from the table adjacent to her. 
 
Nana lifted her head up from her bowl of soup and turned around to look at them. 
 
“Are they trafficking?” her older friend whispered. “I heard that a lot of that activity is going on recently. It’s really scary.” 
 
“Exactly! But these guys were different,” the woman continued, “they didn’t even touch a single girl in their way. They just stole their ways into houses, held families at gun points while their team mates took food.” 
 
“They were after food?” 
 
“Yes, and thing was these people weren’t speaking Korean! They were speaking in some sort of alien language.” 
 
“Are they Chinese?” Nana suddenly appeared at their table. 
 
“Young lady, why are you still out here on the streets at night?” the older woman cussed. 
 
“Chinese, were they speaking in Chinese?” Nana demanded to know. 
 
“If they were speaking in Chinese then it was Chinese,” the woman shook her head. “Lets go. It’s crazy around here.” 
 
The two women got up and left together. Nana watched them disappear from the streets and turned to look down the empty streets leading toward the weaker sides of the suburb. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Donghae lie awake and gently rubbed his entangled legs against hers. He swept the hair out of Victoria’s face and pulled the blanket over her some more. She was just so precious. 
 
Leaning over he gave her a soft peck on the cheek. Victoria’s eyes fluttered as if on cue and she looked at him. 
 
“You can’t sleep?” she asked. 
 
He replied, “No, I just wanted to watch you.” 
 
“Why?” 
 
“If I close my eyes, I’ll just see pitch black darkness.” 
 
Victoria moved over rubbing her calves against his. 
 
“If something ever happens, will you forget me, and move on?” he wondered. 
 
She reached a hand forward and placed it on his face before she kissed him on the forehead. 
 
“Lee Donghae will forever be my husband.” 
 
He smiled. 
 
“Is it your new case?” she questioned. “What is it?” 
 
“We’re searching for someone dangerous. I’m worried about it.” 
 
“No matter what,” she leaned her head against his neck, “you can’t leave me alone.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
She toppled over a tin garbage bin which had tipped over from the wall and swore before she kicked it. As a loud clang echoed in the air a cat meowed and scuttled away. Nana watched as its shadow disappeared further down the alley and started toward the first house she spotted with its light on. 
 
Climbing up the first two steps she knocked on the front door which looked like it had been there for centuries. It rattled and shook unsteadily when she knocked. The door seemed to be so thin that she could practically hear the conversation coming from inside. 
 
A yellow glow widened when the door opened. 
 
“Who are you?” the man in old trousers with a shaved head questioned. 
 
“I want to ask about the havoc some Chinese people created,” Nana got to the point. 
 
She didn’t shake from his stare.
 
“Who is it?” the scrawny women sitting at an un-seeable corner asked. 
 
“Some mofo who wants to ask about those people breaking into our home.” the man slightly turned back. He turned back to her, “Who are you? A cop?” 
 
“Not exactly,” Nana answered, “but I’m after those guys. You care to tell me what exactly happened and where they went?” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria awoke with a stir to find the spot beside her empty. Alarm passed through her nerves before she heard movement in the kitchen. Resting her head back down the pillow she wondered if that was how he felt every morning when she’d already woken up and left the room. Had he always feared that she’d left or that something had happened to her? 
 
Sitting up she discovered that he’d placed a new set of clothes for her on the desk and the ones from last night had been folded neatly onto a chair. When she stepped out she found him busy at the stove, his brows curbed deep into immense concentration as he stirred about on the pot. As he turned toward her, she spanned out the new skirt she was wearing. 
 
“Did you buy it?” she questioned with a smile. 
 
“Of course, that’s how cool I am,” he smirked, “you look nice. If only you’d start dressing up more like that.” 
 
She walked over to him and grasped his arm turning to look at the eggs he was stirring about. 
 
“Scrambled eggs?” she questioned. 
 
“My specialty.” 
 
“Psh,” she lightly shoved him before sitting down at the table. “You haven’t been in contact with Eunhyuk?” 
 
“Why are you talking about him?” 
 
“He says he hasn’t heard from you in quite some time,” Victoria started, placing her chin onto the palm of her hand, “are you still upset about that one time?” 
 
Donghae seemed to freeze in spot before he turned around and started for the empty chair beside her. 
 
“No, I just haven’t had time for him,” he replied. “I’m getting over that incident, so don’t bring it up until I do or else I might get angry again.” 
 
“You’re such a kid,” Victoria ruffled his hair, “now go bring your queen her breakfast.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Oppa,” Jung Hee Sun opened the bedroom door of Eunhyuk’s. 
 
Eunhyuk turned around from his desk and pulled his headphones off his head. 
 
“You need me to baby-sit him?” he turned to look at the baby. 
 
He got up from his chair and took the baby from her. 
 
“Mommy will be back, in the meantime play with uncle,” Eunhyuk baby talked as he waved Hyung Soon’s small hand around. 
 
Melodix let out a bark before she got off his bed, jumped down, and ran out the door by squeezing between his legs. 
 
“She’s jealous,” Eunhyuk remarked playfully. He turned back to Hee Sun who hadn’t yet left. “Is there anything else?” 
 
“Oh…no…” she shook her head as she began to walk away. Stopping at her second step she turned around to find Eunhyuk closing his door. “Oppa.” 
 
He paused and turned toward her. 
 
“Oppa, you seem really down these days and more closed up,” Hee Sun commented, “but you seemed really happy when Victoria came over the other day. Did something…” 
 
“I was just glad to see her,” he interrupted. “You should get going.” 
 
As the door closed she started down the hallway. Eunhyuk seemed forlorn the past few months. She wasn’t sure why, but she felt it had to do with the night when Donghae had suddenly come over in panic mode asking for Victoria. 
 
Hee Sun was beginning to wonder now, if Eunhyuk had been halfway in love with his best friend’s girl. There would have been nothing wrong with it because certainly a lot of things had happened between them. Hee Sun could imagine how hard she’d made it for her brother, Victoria, and Donghae. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria leaned against Donghae on the couch and played with his hand, which was hanging off her shoulder. 
 
“Do you wonder what would’ve happened if you never came to my house that night to confess?” Victoria asked. 
 
“No,” he replied, “I would’ve came anyway.”
 
She turned slightly to look at him. 
 
He returned the look, “Cause you tried to set me up and because I was provoked that night by a conversation I had with Eunhyuk.” 
 
“What about?” 
 
Donghae could still remember clearly the way Victoria had looked so comfortable with Eunhyuk at the table they’d chosen to eat at. The thoughts of unfairness that had been engulfing his mind at that moment when he started to wonder why Victoria kept ignoring him, why she could act so naturally around Eunhyuk, and why she’d taken him with her to eat instead of him. And the conversation he’d had with Eunhyuk afterward. 
 
“What were you two talking about?” Donghae wondered. “You did seem really cozy with each other.” 
 
“Why? Jealous?” Eunhyuk raised his eyebrow confused. 
 
Donghae turned to look at him slowly with a serious expression, “You…really don’t see anything in her, right?” 
 
Eunhyuk stared back at Donghae with a laugh, “I’ve said before I don’t take the girls you’re already interested in.” 
 
“Really?” with the way he was speaking Eunhyuk detected that Donghae didn’t quite believe him. 
 
“And why would you ask that?” Eunhyuk countered stopping in front of the driver’s door. 
 
“I’ve been curious, Hyuk, why did you decide to drive pass her house when that road doesn’t lead to the highway?” Donghae questioned with a tone of suspicion in his voice. 
 
“Nothing,” he replied.  
 
“You haven’t changed one bit, even after we got married,” Victoria started quietly. 
 
“This is already my ultimate level of being cool.” 
 
Victoria snorted.
 
“You’ve changed,” he said.
 
“How?” 
 
“You talk too much these days. All I hear from you is nagging about this or that.” 
 
Victoria laughed then became quiet, “You’re the only one who’s really stayed with me. Thanks for that.”
 
“I’m lucky.” 
 
She smiled, “We really went through a lot, didn’t we?”
 
“Mmmhmmm…” he replied. “A lot of things happened.”