Chapter 11

You Said Remember Me II

 

Backing up, she glanced around. Where to run to? Their house was small and the backdoor led to the garage. If she left that way those people outside would see her, definitely. The window…Eunhyuk had stolen his way in from the window…
 
She started toward the window in the kitchen, but the sound of someone trying to open the door stopped her. What if they got in the house before she could even get to the window? The door easily creaked open and she fled toward the stairs as a cold breeze flew in. 
 
Their bedroom had a small, but neat closet. It was stupid, but the it was the best hiding place she could come up with at the moment of panic. Climbing in and sliding the door close she waited and waited. 
 
“Look at these,” she heard a female voice say, “pictures…she doesn’t suit him at all. Is this the gal we’re supposed to be looking for?” 
 
“Don’t touch anything,” another voice warned. “We’re not here to steal.” 
 
“It’s empty,” another voice called from the hallway. 
 
Footsteps neared the closet and Victoria clasped both hands over to keep herself from whimpering nor making even the slightest bit of sound. She could see, in her mind, the intruder peering into the closet as her heart thumped loudly. Would he open the closet or walk away? 
 
“Please, please, please,” she silently begged. 
 
“No one’s here, lets go,” the man said turning around to walk away. 
 
When the footsteps disappeared, Victoria slid her hands off . She never thought she’d ever face this kind of situation ever again. Ren Gei should have been the last person who’d wanted to hurt her. 
 
What felt like 10 minutes finally passed and Victoria opened the closet slowly. Peeking out to confirm that no one was there she stepped out and started toward the hall to call the cops and perhaps Eunhyuk. However, when she stepped outside of the bedroom she immediately wished that she’d never shown herself at all. 
 
Fear froze her and sweat began accumulating in the palm of her hands. Chills shot up and down her spine as the group of 4 stared back. The man in the front remained smiling. 
 
“My, you are as beautiful as I’ve been told you are,” Leo complimented. 
 
“Shut up, Leo,” Young Ae scolded, “lets get this over with so we can head back.” 
 
“Here,” Yong Jo tossed a handkerchief at him. 
 
Leo smiled, “Well, honey, do you want to go see your husband?” 
 
Donghae? 
 
Leo started toward her without a sound and as much as she wanted to run she couldn’t will her body to move. Before she realized it he’d pressed the cloth over and nose. Victoria flung her hands up to get him off her, but that was before it suddenly became very dark. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Victoria! Victoria!” Donghae screamed into the phone. 
 
Nana took it out of his hand and glanced at the screen. 
 
“You’ve lost connection,” Nana explained putting the phone back into her bag. 
 
Donghae remained silent, lost in despair. Nana turned to look at him again. 
 
“Who is she?” Nana questioned. “Is she the girl you were with in Incheon?” 
 
Donghae didn’t answer. His forlorn face made her sympathetic. 
 
“Is she your sister?” Nana continued. 
 
“My wife,” Donghae told without looking up from the ground. “They’re after her.” 
 
Nana raised an eyebrow, “Why? Has she done something wrong?” 
 
Donghae turned away and started walking. 
 
Nana followed, “Does she have something to do with the guy that broke out of jail? You have a connection with him, don’t you? It’s somewhere along the lines, isn’t it?” 
 
“I need to get back to Seoul,” Donghae stated. 
 
Nana paused in her steps, sighed, before continuing to follow him. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria awoke in the backseat of the van. Her eyes swirled in circles, her neck ached, and her head was spinning. Voices from the front caught her hears before she remembered that Donghae had called. She almost sat up but recalled his warning to her and his warning must have meant that these people were dangerous. How in the world had Donghae gotten involved with such people? One more reason why she was disliking his job even more. 
 
Closing her eyes to pretend that she was still unconscious she eavesdropped on their conversation. 
 
“He said the new place is secured,” Yong Jo explained. 
 
“Is she still asleep?” Leo asked. 
 
“Just like a princess,” Young Ae snorted. “We’re really looking her up well.” 
 
“Can’t I just see her for a moment?” Leo pleaded. “These kind of things only come once and heck I’d give an all kill for her. Whoo! I’m getting hot just thinking about it.” 
 
“Hands off,” Eui Tae warned, “we’re not to touch her nor hurt her.” 
 
Leo let out a disappointed sigh, “I can’t believe someone as fine as she is married that damn investigator.” 
 
“That investigator is better than you by a million times,” Young Ae shot back, “he’s so handsome, who wouldn’t want him?” 
 
“That disgusting fella?” Leo questioned. “I’m better than him by a million.” 
 
“Don’t dream of it,” Young Ae told. “This chick isn’t even worth our time. I don’t see the point of capturing her. The hell are you guys gonna do with her? Bang her up?” 
 
“Shut up, you jealous !” Leo shouted. “You’re in position to be talking.” 
 
“What’d you call me?” Young Ae asked angrily. 
 
“Jealous !” 
 
“You friggin bastard!” Young Ae shot up from her seat to lunge at Leo who was driving the car. 
 
Victoria fought to keep herself from falling off the backseat as the car swerved dangerously among the empty highway. 
 
“Would you fags stop messing around?!” Eui Tae shouted from the top of his lungs. 
 
“That’s it!” Leo stopped the car and got out. “Lets take this outside!” 
 
Young Ae opened the door and followed him out. 
 
“Ah…geez…” Young Jo heaved a sigh before following the rest out. 
 
As their voices escalated into a war, Victoria slightly lifted herself up and peered through the window to see that they were arguing on the other side of the van. It all but only meant that they’d carelessly left the door open and it was the only chance Victoria had to escape if she didn’t want to be brought to a hellhole. 
 
Sliding off the backseat she knelt down and glanced back out the window to see that Leo was pushing one of the other guys who pushed him back with much greater force. It was a good thing they were fighting. her bottom lip out of nervousness she started toward the open door and jumped out. Still keeping low she glanced toward the cornfield ahead of her. 
 
Her heart was beating wildly and she couldn’t control the anxiety flying throughout her body. Her breathing suddenly became heavier out of panic as she darted toward the field immersing her with it. When it felt like she was in the middle of the cornfield she bent down and prayed that they wouldn’t come searching for her. 
 
Seconds ticked by which became long minutes of distress. She could hear the engine of the van from somewhere far away start and the car disappeared down the highway. Closing her eyes she let out a sigh of relief and smiled to herself. 
 
The noise of something moving through the cornfield caught her ears and she assured herself that it was just an animal, however, her doubts still remained. 
 
‘Click’. 
 
Victoria turned to find a man staring down at her with a rifle, “Who are you?”
 
She stared at him with wide eyes before getting up to her feet. 
 
“I’m sorry,” she apologized bowing. “I didn’t mean to intrude…” 
 
The smile that suddenly grew on his face made her feel uncomfortable, but she didn’t show it. 
 
“Ah…are you lost?” he asked softening his voice by a thousand degrees. 
 
Victoria glanced around trying to figure out what was best to do. 
 
“Yes.” 
 
“Do you want to make a phone call? Since it’s so late, why don’t you stay with me and my wife for tonight before making your way off tomorrow?” he suggested. 
 
Moments later she found herself standing inside the small home that supposedly belonged to him and his wife. A small table had been centered in the kitchen and the living room was small with two pieces of furniture, green curtains, and a small TV. Bedrooms were on the left of the kitchen. There was something about the house that made her unsettled. It was too empty and smelled…really old. 
 
Along the wooden walls were faded pictures of children, one framed right after another. No smiles were present on their faces, nor did they look like their parents. Where were the kids? Victoria wanted to ask, but knew better not to. 
 
“Here’s a warm cup of water for you,” his small wife wearing a shawl over her faded mahogany dress placed a cup of water in front of her. 
 
Victoria who was sitting down thanked her before glancing at the pair quietly. They seemed to be talking through their eyes. Her heart caught itself in when she realized she might have stepped into the wrong place. 
 
“Why aren’t you drinking up?” the woman asked. 
 
“I’m not thirsty,” Victoria lied, “in fact, I feel really sleepy.”
 
“We have a room prepared for you,” the man replied right away. “Honey, why don’t you show her the room?” 
 
His small wife led her to the last room along the hallway. 
 
“It’s really small, but this is as best as we can do, I’m terribly sorry.” she apologized. 
 
Victoria nodded and once she closed the door, Victoria locked it. Finally turning around she peered at the small room. A twin bed had been positioned against the wall near the square window facing the corn field, a small desk next to it, and that…was practically it. The floorboards creaked underneath her as she started toward it. Even the room smelt funny. 
 
Stopping by the bed she peered down at her feet to see that there were stains on the floor. Weird stains that smelt funny…
 
Victoria gulped and slowly started toward the door. Leaning her ear against it she tried to listen to the conversation the two were having out there. It was hopeless, the door was too thick. 
 
Through the hours of the night she found herself standing, staring out the window waiting for the perfect timing. Once the tip of the sun appeared through the bleak trees, Victoria pulled the window up easily and glanced around to find a lifelessness nature waiting for her outside. She glanced back toward the locked door and squeezed herself through the window. 
 
Once she landed on her feet she started toward the road as fast as she could. Anxiety, fear, and panic raced through her once more. It had suddenly felt like she was being chased by Ren Gei again. The awful memory of him attacking her in her own home had been more than frightening. 
 
“Donghae…where are you?” she silently asked. 
 
She tripped over her own feet and suddenly went rolling forward. The pain of her knee scraping against the tiny rocks raced up her body to her mind and she remain in position feeling helpless. 
 
Someone grabbed her shoulder, “Are you ok?” 
 
Victoria turned around frantic and shot up to her feet immediately backing up. The man standing before her was tall, very tall and thin. His face was sharp and handsome, but the real fact was that he was a stranger. 
 
Her breathing got heavy again and she started to run, but he chased after her. 
 
“Wait!” he shouted. 
 
He grabbed her arm and Victoria found herself letting out a scream of fear.  
 
“Shh!” he clasped a hand over . 
 
She stared at him in fear. He dug into his pocket with his other hand and pulled out an ID. 
 
“I’m a zookeeper, see?” he asked. “I have a friend who’s a cop, she says this area is under investigation after 15 children disappeared. It’s not safe around here.” 
 
Victoria managed to calm down a bit. 
 
“Where are you headed?” he asked taking his hand off her. 
 
Victoria just stared at him still unable to 100% calm down. 
 
“Your friend…can I see your friend?” Victoria asked. “My husband is missing…” 
 
He stared back at her then nodded. 

***Whew! That was one long night for Victoria! Who knows what would have happened to her if she stayed any longer. And who's that guy who appeared at the end? ;D