Chapter 56

You Said Remember Me II

 

“Nothing, I only…” Eunhyuk started before Donghae cut him off. 
 
“Did you hit him?”
 
Eunhyuk quieted. 
 
“Donghae,” Victoria called from the side, but Donghae didn’t want to hear it from her. 
 
“You did, didn’t you?” Donghae continued on. 
 
Eunhyuk pressed his lips together. 
 
“Yah! He almost killed you last year if it weren’t for Chief Kang who alerted the cops,” Donghae raised his voice. 
 
“He was nearly on top of Victoria, what did you want me to do?” Eunhyuk defended. “Call the cops? I didn’t have enough time! Victoria was crying in pain, so I only did what I had to do.” 
 
Donghae took a deep breath. He didn’t want to think about any of it. He didn’t want to think about Ren Gei nor have any thought of Ren Gei attacking Victoria. It would just piss him off. 
 
“He’ll definitely want to take your head off before mine and Victoria’s, do you know that?” Donghae asked. 
 
“Donghae, calm down, it’ll be fine,” Victoria tried. 
 
“You shouldn’t have gone out there in the first place!” Donghae turned to her. 
 
He quieted when he spotted Changmin and Nana standing by the entrance of the kitchen. 
 
“Come in,” Victoria called before getting up. Victoria grabbed his arm, “Lets go talk somewhere else.” 
 
He followed her reluctantly. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Did we interrupt something?” Changmin asked walking in. 
 
“No,” Eunhyuk replied. “Just chatting.” 
 
Noticing Nana’s glance, Eunhyuk turned to look at her. She quickly turned away, however. 
 
“Victoria left some food for us,” Eunhyuk pointed toward the counter. 
 
“I’ll go get it for you,” Changmin offered, “why don’t you go sit down?” 
 
“It’s ok, I can do it myself,” Nana butted in. 
 
Eunhyuk watched Changmin push Nana toward the table and made her sit before walking away. Nana tried to focus her eyes on other things when he looked at her. 
 
“You don’t have to make it so obvious,” Eunhyuk began, “sorry, if what I said made you uncomfortable. I just wanted to stop the officer from nosing further. It’d cause more trouble if he found out we were staying with Yuri, and she’s silently backing us. Then it would drag in Donghae, Victoria, and why you’re here.”
 
Changmin walked over and placed Nana’s plate onto the table. 
 
“Eat up,” Eunhyuk told before getting up. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Would you stop it?” Victoria asked closing the bedroom door behind her. 
 
Donghae took a huge breath before going on, “I would have come back for you. I told you I would, and I would keep my word.”
 
“You could have died,” Victoria shot the words out. 
 
“But I didn’t,” Donghae pointed out, “Eunhyuk could die. Escaping death once doesn’t mean he can do it a second time.” 
 
Victoria narrowed her eyes at him, “You’ve escaped it more than once, so why can’t he? Why are you looking down on Eunhyuk? He’s capable, he can do the things you do just as well. This is why I don’t like you doing this job!” 
 
“It’s not my job, it’s Ren Gei,” Donghae told. “My job does not involve Ren Gei, he’s the one who stepped into my life.” 
 
“Would you listen to me for once?” Victoria asked. “Your job includes people like Ren Gei. What difference does it make?”
 
“The fact here is that you and Eunhyuk rented that apartment together. If you haven’t gone out, Ren Gei wouldn’t have found you, and Eunhyuk wouldn’t have become a target.” 
 
Victoria inhaled deeply, “Don’t bring up old stories that will just anger you, Donghae. It’s childish.” 
 
“It is what it is,” Donghae said.
 
“Oh yea?” Victoria nodded. “Ok, then maybe you should have considered telling me that he was on the loose. Have you considered that? No, you didn’t. You only wanted to lie to me and by lying you thought it’d keep me safe. Do you know what happened then? I became defenseless! And that’s why I’m here! Because I didn’t want to die out there!” 
 
“You hide things from me as well!” 
 
“Because you don’t understand!” Victoria raised her voice. “Ok, these are two different matters. Don’t bring it up. I don’t want to fight with you about that matter. I can’t stand it when you’re like this.” 
 
Donghae bit his bottom lip. He reached a hand out for her but Victoria moved back. 
 
“I want some air, don’t follow me,” Victoria told before opening the door. 
 
“Where are you going?” Eunhyuk asked Victoria when he was midway up the stairs. 
 
“Out,” Victoria replied as she passed him. 
 
Oh, how she hated arguing with Donghae. Matters just get worse when he would bring up old stories and arguments they’ve had before. He was too much of a girl who tucked grievances and anger in his heart and would only bring them out when they were fighting. Feeling too stuffed up from staying in the past few days Victoria finally felt alive once more when the soft breeze passed her. 
 
Sniffing in the cool air with a hint of the upcoming summer Victoria smiled. The street in front of the house was so quiet compared to their home back in Seoul which was always busy with cars. Back in Seoul she would always hear the loud engines of cars roaring pass their house, but here in Osan she barely heard any. 
 
Victoria walked pass the green lawns of the quiet neighborhood and enjoyed the sight of the green trees, bushes, and flowers. Crossing the street she watched the ahjumma and her son set up the soju tent. They were probably preparing for late night business. 
 
Walking toward them Victoria glanced up at the chairs and tables which had been neatly stacked atop one another. She turned when she felt someone run into her leg. Looking down she saw a little boy. It brought her back to the memory when Donghae had taken her to stroll down the streets of Seoul after buying her lunch in a small sandwich shop. While walking down the sidewalk a little boy had bumped into her giving her a fright, but that was when she still had the fear of children. 
 
That fear was almost gone now as she was carrying one herself. 
 
“Hi there,” Victoria smiled. 
 
The little boy held out a white sheet of paper, “Can you take me here? Mommy is here.” 
 
Victoria took the piece of paper from him and glanced at the address that had been written down. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Donghae rushed down the stairs almost toppling Eunhyuk over. 
 
“Where are you going?!” Eunhyuk shouted after him. 
 
Rushing toward the front door, Donghae messily slipped his shoes on, and hurried out. Dashing across the street he spotted Victoria talking to a little boy who looked to be 5 years old. 
 
“Donghae!” Eunhyuk called. 
 
Donghae spun around to see Eunhyuk running toward him. 
 
“Where are you going?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
“Going after Victoria,” Donghae answered while turning around, but when he did, Victoria was nowhere to be seen. 
 
His heart beat against his ribs wildly. Who was the little boy? Who was the little boy! A voice screamed within him. 
 
“Look for Victoria,” Donghae ordered before sprinting ahead. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Changmin and Nana turned when footsteps bounded toward the front door. 
 
“What’s going on?” Changmin wondered getting up from his seat. 
 
He started toward the door and also feeling curious Nana set down her spoon following him out. They spotted Eunhyuk standing at the end of the drive before they saw Donghae running off ahead. 
 
“What happened?” Changmin asked. 
 
Eunhyuk turned around, “Look for Victoria.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Ahjumma! Did you see my wife?” Donghae asked the ahjumma who was setting up some tables inside her tent. 
 
She shook her head. 
 
“She went that way with the little boy,” the ahjumma’s son answered pointing to Donghae’s right. “Ahjussi, you should find her quickly. I hear that gangs use little children to lure out women.” 
 
Ignoring the ‘Ahjussi’ insult Donghae quickly thanked him and made a run toward his right, but stopped when he heard Eunhyuk calling his name. He turned to see that Changmin and Nana had joined up with Eunhyuk. Without time to ponder how they’d come out and why they were there, Donghae quickly explained to them what the ahjumma’s son had told him. 
 
“We don’t have time,” Donghae panicked, “we need to find Victoria. Whether we split up or not, remember to watch your backs.” 
 
It was late afternoon, busy traffic had ceased, but the people around made it difficult to look for anyone who resembled Victoria. After a long run they’d made it downtown. Pausing at the intersection waiting for the lights to turn green, Donghae tried to set his thoughts straight. It wasn’t really crowded, nor was it too packed, but Donghae’s mind was full of slurs. When he was panicked it was difficult to calm down and take a breather. 
 
Worries and concern stuffed him up. Turning to look his right and left he still couldn’t depict Victoria out from among everyone else. 
 
“I think I see her!” Changmin pointed toward a long road ahead. 
 
Donghae followed Changmin’s finger which was pointed toward a rising slope. Beyond the road were brick buildings and a long fence that had been set up to the side. Victoria, was however, walking toward it. 
 
“That area should be sealed off,” Eunhyuk muttered. 
 
Donghae turned to look at him. 
 
“That’s where I found Nana and where that guy died,” Eunhyuk finished. 
 
Once the lights turned green, Donghae ran across the street leaving the others behind. If the gang was striking again he wouldn’t let them off. Why now of all times? 
 
Rushing up the slope toward the isolated area Donghae glanced around debating where he should first go. Even before he could think anything else someone ran out at him tackling him to the ground. Refusing to be beat up that simply Donghae fought back and tried to get him off. After a punch across the cheek, Donghae recognized the man to be one of the two that had come after him and Victoria the day they’d gone out to the mart. 
 
If this guy was here fighting him, would Ren Gei have gone after Victoria instead? Donghae felt fury fly through him before he flipped Yong Jo onto his back. Slamming another fist across his cheek Donghae received one in return. As they rolled continuously across the gravel, Donghae could hear the others nearing him. 
 
Yong Jo pressed a hand forcibly against his mouth almost suffocating him before giving him another punch across the face. Donghae felt himself being lugged up helplessly before he was dragged around the corner. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Donghae!” Eunhyuk shouted when they reached the foot of the brick buildings where Donghae had been struggling just a few seconds earlier. 
 
He turned to glance around worried. Donghae wouldn’t have been captured just like that, would he? 
 
A long path stood in front of them with cracks everywhere, grass growing up between the messy cracks. Eunhyuk couldn’t see anything special about the building on his right. There were no doors nor windows in sight. To his left, however, stood a long fence that wound all the way from the beginning of the path to probably the end of the path, wherever that was. The area seemed more dusty than he’d remembered it to be. 
 
The sound of someone running made Eunhyuk turn. Nana was climbing over the fence to the left, opposite where Donghae had been taken. 
 
“What are you doing?!” Eunhyuk called after her. 
 
“We gotta get somewhere at least,” Nana answered back carelessly. 
 
“You’re just going to get yourself in trouble!” Eunhyuk shouted. “Get back here!” 
 
He took a step forward to go after Nana when she landed on the other side of the fence, but Changmin grabbed his arm stopping him. 
 
“We should get help. I’ll go call Yuri,” Changmin suggested. 
 
“I don’t have time,” Eunhyuk answered quickly, “two people are missing, and one more will go missing if we don’t keep up with her.” 
 
Running toward the fence Eunhyuk made his way up and jumped down. Nana was already walking around freely. They had entered an alley with a dead end. However, it didn’t seem so to Nana. There were a few crates around and he watched as she stacked them up against others to create a pyramid. 
 
“What are you doing?” he questioned grabbing her arm before she could climb up. 
 
“There’s a window up there,” Nana nodded her head up, “if possible, we can enter through here.” 
 
“What are you talking about? There’s going to be a door somewhere, we’ll find,” Eunhyuk retorted, “get down.” 
 
“Then you go look for it yourself,” Nana shook his arm off before starting her way up. 
 
He made another grab for her arm but ended up grasping air instead. What was the fool trying to do this time? Eunhyuk turned when Changmin jumped over the fence and watched him walk over. 
 
“You didn’t go?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
“Go where?” 
 
“I thought you went to get Yuri.” 
 
“I can’t leave you guys alone,” Changmin replied before looking around. “These buildings are connected.” 
 
Eunhyuk followed his gaze. 
 
“The wall ahead,” Changmin pointed toward the concrete wall signaling a dead end, “connects the buildings. I took a glance around, but what if they haven’t been taken into the buildings?” 
 
Eunhyuk took his words into consideration before glancing up to see Nana peering through a window above the fourth crate, “Yea, but we can’t afford to split up now. The cameras don’t work in this area, if there are any around, that is.” 
 
The sound of glass breaking alarmed him. Eunhyuk quickly climbed up the crates and paused on the second one when he saw Nana shaking her shoe about. 
 
“What are you doing!” he scolded. 
 
Nana glanced at him, “Getting in.” 
 
“Are you crazy?!” 
 
“Calm down, will you?” Nana asked. “Changmin! Climb up!”
 
/ / / / /
 
“Here,” the boy pointed to a corner when Victoria put him down. 
 
They’d passed some brick buildings earlier and Victoria was confused about where they were. She wasn’t sure if she was in the right area. There were yellow police tapes blocking the certain area to her left and it made her feel uneasy.   
 
“Ahjussi, candy,” the boy called out. 
 
“Who are you talking to?” Victoria asked the little boy. 
 
A shadow appeared from behind the tape and Victoria felt her eyes grow wide. 
 
“Remember what I said?” Ren Gei’s deep voice asked the little boy. “Now, run.” 
 
He grabbed Victoria’s arm and dropped a piece of candy into the little boy’s hand. Once he dashed off, Victoria attempted to scream but as soon as she tried he wrapped a hand around her lips preventing her. He chuckled as he tore away the tape and pulled her back. 
 
“Now keep quiet, my dear,” he pressed his lips against her hair and whispered into her ear. 
 
Victoria watched as he put the police tape back in place. 

***Woohoo...trouble, everyone's in trouble now