Chapter 28

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Donghae felt lost. Why was Victoria hiding behind Eunhyuk? How had the two gotten together? 
 
“Uh…” Eunhyuk interrupted aware of the sudden tension. “Why don’t we head back before catching up on each other’s stories?” 
 
Head back? To where? Donghae wanted to ask, but couldn’t. As his eyes lay on Victoria, he realized he only wanted to know how she’d been doing. And next he wanted an answer to why Eunhyuk was with her. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana sat awkwardly in the very modern household. She couldn’t even describe how uncomfortable she felt sitting alone in the living room. Why hadn’t she left the scene when Donghae’s friend and wife had found them? 
 
It was just so uncomfortable that she was afraid whatever she’d say it might sound offending. Adults…were so difficult. 
 
Nana turned and tried to peek into the kitchen where Victoria currently was, but was unable to see pass the interior wall of the dining room. 
 
Could she have stirred up trouble with Victoria without knowing so? Why did it feel as if Donghae’s wife was angry? 
 
/ / / / /
 
Changmin somehow found himself sitting across from Victoria’s handsome husband and Eunhyuk. The atmosphere was so…very strange…
 
He’d been even more surprised when he found the four of them standing on the front doorsteps. Changmin had only expected for them to return with Donghae, but there had been someone else. A girl…
 
Changmin didn’t know anything about Donghae being with a girl nonetheless a girl being involved in all of this. He agreed now that the problem was officially more complex than he’d imagined. However, he wasn’t as hospitable as Yuri and was unsure of what to do. So before Donghae had suggested talking in the back room he’d made a quick call to Yuri hoping she’d come home in time to save him from awkwardness. 
 
He felt nervous in front of the detective, as if he were a witness of some sort of homicide and Donghae was there to interrogate him. Changmin gulped. A deep sea of anxiety had suddenly formed around him. 
 
“Uh…hi,” Changmin started, “I’m Shim Changmin.” 
 
“Lee Donghae,” he reached out to shake Changmin’s hand. 
 
“We’ve been staying with them for a few days,” Eunhyuk explained. 
 
Changmin wondered if he would mention that he had moved out with Victoria. In the end he was glad Eunhyuk hadn’t said anything about it. He felt like Donghae wouldn’t be happy to hear about it. It was definitely a good thing Eunhyuk and Victoria had returned to stay with him and Yuri. 
 
“I heard that you found Victoria and brought her in,” Donghae said, “how did you find her?” 
 
Was it ok to explain? Was Donghae angry that he’d brought Victoria into the house? Or was Donghae assuming that he could have done something to Victoria? 
 
Gulping again Changmin wondered if this was how an interviewee felt when being interviewed by a cop. 
 
“I found her on an secluded road,” Changmin tried not to stutter, “you know, the one near Osan…the one where a lot of children went missing.” 
 
Donghae nodded, “Thanks, for keeping Victoria safe. I’m going to be taking Victoria with me. We’ll be returning back home.” 
 
“But…” Changmin cut in then glanced wildly around the room wondering why he’d spoken up, “I think my friend might want to see you guys before you leave.” 
 
“Friend?” Donghae repeated as if he’d missed something. 
 
“Uh…Yuri…”
 
The small frown that crossed Donghae’s face made him gulp again. 
 
“She’s a cop he’s cohabiting with,” Eunhyuk finished. 
 
“No!” Changmin shook his head furiously and shrunk back when Donghae turned toward him. He softened his voice, “We’re not in that kind of relationship…we…just…we’re childhood buddies.” 
 
“Where did she go?” Donghae asked. 
 
“She’ll be back,” Changmin answered before feeling an urge to dunk his head into the toilet when he realized he hadn’t answered Donghae’s question. 
 
/ / / / /
 
A young pretty girl had been with Donghae. And they were holding hands. How many days and nights had they spent together? 
 
Victoria shut the fridge and stared into space. 
 
“What are you thinking?” she asked herself. “Donghae wouldn’t do anything.” 
 
She held up the cup of water to and took a full sip before realizing it’d been the cup she’d been meaning to bring to the girl. Shaking her head wondering why she was losing it she dumped the water into the sink and grabbed another clean cup. Filling it up with water she took a step forward, but found herself stopping by the foot of the kitchen doorway. 
 
How would she face the young girl? 
 
“Hi, why have you been with my husband?” would she say that? 
 
Victoria sighed heavily disappointed with her own behavior. She couldn’t make sense of anything. 
 
“Don’t be like this,” Victoria told herself lightly knocking her own head. 
 
Exhaling loudly she took a long stride forward and could feel herself become nervous the nearer she was to the living room. She wished she could run back into the kitchen and hide herself. Why had she been so intent on approaching the young girl?  
  
Nana turned abruptly when she heard Victoria and quickly got up to bow. Victoria found herself nodding her head nervously before setting the cup of water down onto the small table that separated them. 
 
“Have some water,” was all Victoria said before sitting down across from her. 
 
During the next minute Victoria found herself watching the young girl drink the water down. She must be feeling nervous as well. Victoria wondered why she was acting so intimidating. 
 
She pushed her hair back behind her ears and realized she was showing nervousness. 
 
Clearing at last she asked what she’d been assuming, “Are you…Im Jin Ah?” 
 
The young girl seemed surprised as her eyes got big, “I…I am.” 
 
Victoria felt herself become silent as her mind traveled back to the phone call she’d received from the unknown phone number that night. After Donghae had been presumed dead she’d been taunted by memories and more memories before she came to know that he was alive. But he wasn’t alone. Had he been with her since the day he’d gone missing? So during the time she’d spent alone, he’d spent it with someone else…
 
“You can call me Nana,” Nana spoke up quietly, “my brother was murdered by the gang Ren Gei is currently with. I only…”
 
They both turned when the door opened and Yuri appeared. They glanced at each other as if unsure whether the interruption had come at the right time. 
 
“I heard that you returned,” Yuri said as she walked in then looked over at Nana with a nod and smile, “I’m Kwon Yuri.” 
 
“Nana.” 
 
Yuri slightly glanced over at Victoria and wondered if anything was going on. 
 
“Changmin…” 
 
“He’s speaking with Donghae and Eunhyuk,” Victoria replied. 
 
Yuri nodded and the three found themselves standing in utmost silence. 
 
“You’re back?” Changmin sounded relieved. 
 
The guys appeared from a room by the stairs and Changmin seemed to quickly rush over. 
 
Victoria felt her eyes roll over them before turning away from Donghae’s glance. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Among the three of them, Yuri assumed that the one she didn’t recognize was Donghae. Stepping forward she held out a hand. 
 
“Kwon Yuri.” 
 
“Lee Donghae.”
 
As they shook hands, Yuri started naturally, “I work at the police department in town. I’ve been hearing a lot about you. Lets talk for a moment.”
 
She noticed Donghae swerve his eyes over to Victoria before turning back to her with a, “Yes.” 
 
They found themselves seated in the same room he’d been sitting in with Eunhyuk and Shim Changmin. It was quite a small room and assumed it’d been used for hiding when one wanted to be alone. 
 
The creamy yellow walls represented a warmth he felt that Victoria would want for their future home. She’d love to decorate the place with paintings and flowers. He could imagine it. 
 
“I heard about the bombing incident in Incheon,” Yuri explained, “I also heard that Ren Gei has escaped from jail. I feel that a lot must have happened during the time you lost your workplace and during the time you went missing. I can only imagine how you’re feeling right now, but there are quite a few things I want to know as well as I want to tell you. 
 
“Victoria was brought here by Changmin. When she told me she was abducted and that you were alive, I couldn’t quite believe it. As you know, the whole world believes that you’ve been dead for quite a couple of weeks now. The investigation team has concluded it as foul play among you and your Chief and the police prohibits anyone from digging further into the case as it’s already been concluded. 
 
“As for Victoria, I’ve witnessed those people following her and it’s occurred more than once. I’m not sure why, so I’d like to hear your story as I feel that this case is a lot more than meets the eye. During these past few days with Victoria, I’ve come to feel that she’s not safe anywhere she goes. Do you know those people by any chance?” 
 
“No, no one but Ren Gei,” Donghae told, “Ren Gei was there when I was captured. And Leo, the one with the Mohawk in his group, is set on revenge. Nana, that girl outside, her brother was murdered by Leo. I found someone who believes that. I’m only hoping she’s listened to my words of caution. Other than that, I don’t know what they want from us.”
 
“Then leaving Osan right now is quite risky,” Yuri concluded, “I’m not a big time sheriff, but I could get through the information system easily. Ren Gei and his gang and who they are, it might take some time, but I can definitely dig something up.” 
 
“Thank you, for offering help, but I don’t want to involve anyone.” 
 
Yuri smiled grateful for his sincerity, “Again, I think that you shouldn’t leave Osan just yet.” 
 
He felt thankful for her concern toward him and Victoria, but he also really wanted to go back to meet Chief Kang.  
 
“They’ve seen Changmin, and I know that anyone sighted with Victoria ends up dead,” Yuri said, “for a while, I really do urge you to stay during this time till we get everything figured out. It’s safer here than anywhere else, I can put my word on it. Though I don’t have any more rooms available, I can share with Nana. And I believe you’d like to spend some time with your wife, right?” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana watched as the man with Donghae’s wife earlier walked toward Victoria and pat her on the back. 
 
“Are you tired?” he asked. 
 
“I’m going to take a breather outside,” Victoria said before getting up. 
 
Eunhyuk’s eyes followed Victoria before walking toward the back door after her. The room was again wrapped in silence. Nana could feel it that she was uninvited there. They probably weren’t willing to be nice toward her especially after they saw Donghae holding her hand. 
 
Nana tilted her head down to look at her hands. How could she explain it so that it wouldn’t sound too out of the boundary? 
 
“You…what’s your name again?” 
 
Shocked by the voice that had appeared of no where she turned to look around. 
 
“Over here.”
 
Nana turned around to see a tall man leaning against the wall behind her. She thought she’d seen another person around, but had forgotten about him. 
 
He stepped away from the wall and around the couch. Taking Victoria’s seat he smiled. 
 
“I’m Shim Changmin, you are?” 
 
“Nana.” 
 
“You’ll probably be staying here for a few days. Don’t worry about anything and make yourself at home.” 
 
“Why do you say that?” Nana asked. “How do you know I’ll be staying here?” 
 
Changmin slightly edged his eyes toward the backroom, “Yuri will convince him to stay.”
 
A frown crossed her face. She was lost. 
 
“Where are you originally from?” asked Changmin. 
 
“Seoul.” 
 
“Really?” his face lit up with excitement. “Me too!”
 
She was unsure of how to react toward him. Smile? Or remain still? He was friendly, though. And she liked it that he was being nice to her. In the end, she ended up smiling a little before a door opened. 
 
As Changmin turned to them, Nana twisted herself around to see Yuri and Donghae stepping out of the backroom. 
 
“Is it just you two out here?” Yuri questioned. “Where’s Victoria and Eunhyuk?” 
 
“They went outback,” Changmin replied. 
 
They were quiet and Nana stole a glance at Donghae. He was probably feeling worried and anxious. Was the friend that Victoria had gone missing with that day, Eunhyuk? 
 
There was so much she didn’t know and so much they probably didn’t want her to know. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Eunhyuk took a seat next to Victoria outside and took a long sigh as they stared at the yard. 
 
“Does it bother you that she’s here with Donghae?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
“I’m wondering,” Victoria began, “if they’ve been together the day he went missing. How many days, how many nights they’ve spent together. I really shouldn’t be bothered by this, but I just am. It’s stupid and I feel angry with myself that part of me doesn’t trust him.” 
 
A smile made its way across his lips, “Yes, we know Hae would never betray you.” 
 
“Do you think she likes him?” Victoria asked. “It doesn’t take a girl long till they start falling head over heels for Donghae. Or am I the one scaring myself?” 
 
“Well…Donghae is exaggeratedly handsome,” Eunhyuk joked with a wide smile. 
 
Suddenly feeling upset that Eunhyuk wasn’t siding with her she turned to him with a glare. As Eunhyuk burst out laughing she found herself laughing too. 
 
“You joke too much,” Victoria said picking a string off his shoulder, “your kindness really makes one’s heart flutter.” 
 
He turned to look at her wondering what she meant by it. Warmth spread through him when Victoria smiled at him gently before she turned away to stare at the glass. When Victoria didn’t turn away, Eunhyuk understood why. Following her gaze he found Yuri and Donghae standing a few feet away from the window.