Chapter 39

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
“I don’t get it,” Leo kicked at an empty box. “So why’d you send only the two of them out and not go out there yourself?” 
 
“Don’t you see that his face is still black from Victoria’s friend’s hit?” Young Ae questioned sitting on a chair by the wall. 
 
“Tsh…as if he’d really care about his looks,” Leo snorted. “Look at Ren Gei and Victoria and compare the two. Looks are too much of an obvious difference.” 
 
“Shut it!” Ren Gei shouted from underneath the dying light. “It’d be a weak scare if I sent the two of you out there instead. If I want them to come at me, we’ll have to shake the fear out of them first. Yong Jo and Eui Tae are perfect. They’re the only ones who are able to drive out the revenge in the detective.”
 
/ / / / /
 
As Eunhyuk flailed a taxi and sat at the back anxiously he glanced at his phone. He wanted to call Yuri and let her know, but that morning’s interrogation still remained in his mind. There was no choice, though, if he wanted to get both Victoria and Donghae back safely. 
 
He jumped out of the taxi once it stopped at the restaurant Victoria had directed him to. Opening the door he walked in to find that the place was half empty. Eyeing the people he spotted a waiter piling up dirty dishes into a bin. 
 
“Excuse me,” Eunhyuk walked over. 
 
The waiter sent out a loud shout that surprised Eunhyuk. 
 
“Please! Please! No more!” he shouted. “What do you want this time? You’re going to ask me about a detective and a woman?! What is with today! I shouldn’t have come in for work!”
 
Eunhyuk wondered what was wrong with him. 
 
“Yes, have you seen them?” Eunhyuk questioned. 
 
“There! There! The back door! You can find them there!” 
 
“Thanks.” Eunhyuk quickly headed toward the back. 
 
“What did I do wrong in my past life? My luck is so awful…” Eunhyuk heard the waiter mumble as he walked toward the door.
 
Eunhyuk stepped out into the alley to see a garbage bin lying on the ground before walking further down. Was Victoria still there? 
 
“Victoria?” he called out. 
 
“Eunhyuk?” Victoria suddenly appeared from beside the dumpster. 
 
He rushed over. 
 
“What happened? Where’s Donghae?” 
 
“They took him, they took him, Eunhyuk!!” 
 
His heart moved toward her with so much sympathy. 
 
“Calm down,” he urged, “you don’t know where they went?” 
 
She shook her head. Eunhyuk turned around and spotted an opening opposite of the dumpster. He walked toward it and stuck his head out to look around. The path to his right was blocked by a 7 foot fence so that led to only one escape path. Turning to look down his right he spotted a road at the end. 
 
“Victoria, don’t…” he started but before he finished she darted down the walk and heaving a sigh he followed her with a run. 
 
/ / / / /
 
His head knocked onto the wooden dock when Yong Jo flung him down. He was hardly conscious even as he tried to get onto his feet. When he did so he felt a fist slam across his face and once more he fell flat against the dock. 
 
The loud waves of the river splashed against the poles holding it up and Donghae forced open his eyes to see an area of blue around him. 
 
Before he could make sense of anything else Yong Jo pulled him up to his feet and tossed him into the water. It feel relaxingly cool that afternoon. 
 
Donghae watched as his legs and arms floated before him. Unable to worry about the air that was quickly disappearing he wondered if Victoria was alright and whether she’d escaped unharmed. 
 
His mind spun crazily a few more times before his air supply was completely cut off. Finally back to his senses he splashed his feet around and started toward the surface. He wasn’t good at swimming and when Victoria had fallen into Chief Kang’s pool, he’d only been able to save her with much difficulty. So afterward, he’d secretly taken a few lessons from a friend just in case anymore of his cases involved water. 
 
When he reached the surfaced he was pushed down just as fast. What was going on? Why couldn’t he get out? 
 
Lost in confusion he splashed his arms wildly about trying to get out, but his weak consciousness was already kicking in. The blue water suddenly turned back and he could feel his eyelids become heavy. 
 
/ / / / /
 
When Victoria reached the road she glanced around to find that another tall fence was blocking her right. Turning down her left she started with a dash. She needed to get to Donghae before anything could happen, before they were able to do anything to him. She needed to get to Donghae. 
 
He’d promised to come back to her, but what if he couldn’t keep the promise? She was starting to freak out and her breathing was getting out of pattern. 
 
“Oh…Donghae…” she almost cried. 
 
She stopped when they reached an empty parking lot, which hadn’t been kept in good shape, with the large river floating at her side. Urgently eyeing her surroundings she stopped at the dock. 
 
Someone had left behind a jacket…and she swore she’d seen one of the two men wearing that jacket. Running forward with her heart racing she climbed onto the wooden dock and picked up the jacket before looking up and around. Had they dumped Donghae into the water? 
 
“Donghae! Lee Donghae!” she screamed wildly about to burst into tears. 
 
Eunhyuk’s footsteps paused near her and she dropped the jacket ready to jump into the water to look for him. However, before she could go in, Eunhyuk grabbed her arm. 
 
“Don’t,” Eunhyuk told. 
 
“I need to look for Donghae!” she found herself screaming. 
 
“I know,” Eunhyuk said calmly and she felt guilty for some reason. “You’re…not in good condition, I’ll do it.” 
 
He gently pushed her aside before looking around and jumped into the water without hesitation. 
 
/ / / / /
 
It was totally dark and cold. Looking down sent shivers through him. The river was really deep and he feared that if Donghae had fallen too deep he might not be able to get to him in time. 
 
Eunhyuk turned around to observe once more before diving in further. Unlike Donghae he’d been an extremely gifted swimmer in school and had easily passed the class. However, he hadn’t gone for a swim in such a long time he was afraid his skills had deteriorated. 
 
It wasn’t long, though, before he spotted a figure just ahead. Slowly floating downward was Donghae and as assumed he’d been knocked out real good. Quickly swimming forward Eunhyuk could feel his oxygen supply become more limited by the second. He’d been under water for too long now. 
 
He’d almost forgotten how hard it was to move when in the water and found his arms starting to tire out already. As time ticked by he was really scared he’d have to leave Donghae and head up for some air. 
 
“Just a little more,” he told himself, “persevere just a little more!” 
 
He pictured to himself an image of panicked Victoria before he reached a hand out for Donghae’s. Suddenly pulling Donghae toward him he double-checked that he had a good hold on him. Finally starting for the surface he felt himself pant for air as soon as he reached the dock. Reaching a hand out to hold onto the wood he called out to Victoria to help him. 
 
When Victoria grabbed onto Donghae, Eunhyuk did as best as he could to quickly lift himself up and helped her pull Donghae onto the dock. While trying to catch his breath he watched as Victoria cried clutching onto Donghae as he uselessly lie on her lap. 
 
“Donghae! Lee Donghae!” she screamed. “Wake up! Open your eyes! Donghae! Don’t die on me! Please…” 
 
“Victoria,” Eunhyuk called out. “He’s still breathing.” 
 
Before Victoria could give him a reaction the siren of a police car stole both their attention. The police car stopped messily in the parking lot and Yuri stepped out. 
 
/ / / / /
 
The door opened and Nana turned away from the blank TV screen to find Changmin at the door. Changmin turned to look at her and smiled. 
 
“You were all alone, huh?” he asked. 
 
How did he know? 
 
“Want to hear a little story?” 
 
/ / / / /
 
While they waited for Donghae’s checkup to finish they stood in the hallway quietly. Eunhyuk glanced at Victoria before turning to Yuri. 
 
“Should we head back so you can change?” Yuri questioned. 
 
“Victoria,” Eunhyuk said, “it’ll be alright. Donghae will be fine, trust me.” 
 
Victoria turned back to him with a small smile. 
 
Eunhyuk took it as an “Ok” from her and turned to Yuri. 
 
“Lets go.” 
 
On the drive back to the house, Eunhyuk wondered if she was feeling awkward with him. 
 
“Sorry, for making you rush out of work,” Eunhyuk apologized. 
 
“No, it’s quite alright.” 
 
They quieted. 
 
When they entered the house, Changmin and Nana got up from where they’d been sitting. 
 
“Is everything ok?” Changmin questioned. “No one got hurt?” 
 
“It’s ok,” Yuri replied, “Donghae’s at the hospital and Victoria’s keeping him company. I’ll go back to get them later.” 
 
“Oh…is that so? That’s a relief,” Changmin smiled. 
 
Yuri watched as Eunhyuk started toward the stairs and turned to see Nana’s concerned eyes following him. 
 
/ / / / /
 
After half an hour wait Victoria was finally allowed to go in and see her husband. Stepping into the room she spotted Donghae sitting up on the bed waving at her enthusiastically, an IV drip attached to his arm. 
 
Pulling up a chair she sat down with a smile. 
 
“Come sit up here,” he patted the spot he’d made for her beside him. 
 
Doing as told she grabbed his hand before feeling him put a hand on her head. 
 
“You don’t have to be strong in front of me,” he told. 
 
As the tears gushed out Victoria leaned against him burying her face in between his shoulder and neck. 
 
“I was so scared,” she mumbled, “you could have died…don’t do it again, Donghae, don’t do it again.” 
 
“Ok,” he said with a smile and rubbed her his hand against her hair, “silly, I told you, I won’t leave you, ever.” 
 
Victoria moved back so she could get a good look at him. There was a slight bruise on his cheek. 
 
Clutching onto his hand she said, “When you were being rushed here, I was thinking about the millions of things I still have to tell you. What if you never got to know? What if I should have told you when I still have the chance?”
 
“You’re talking a lot,” he commented squeezing her hand back. 
 
“Donghae,” she said, “there’s something I should have told you before but I didn’t.” 
 
He gently knocked his forehead into hers. 
 
“What has the naughty girl been hiding this time?” he asked. 
 
“I’m,” Victoria began, “having our baby.” 
 
She looked at him when he didn’t say anything to find him smiling. He leaned forward to give her a grateful kiss. 
 
“Really?!” he asked with his eyes shining. 
 
“Really.” she smiled.
 
Leaning against him and slyly slipping her arm around him she kissed him as well. It suddenly felt so refreshing as if they hadn’t had any contact for a long time. He ran a hand along her arm as they continued on intensely. 
 
“Ow!” he shouted moving back. 
 
They looked at each other and laughed. Donghae started leaning in for another kiss but just before their lips touched a nurse walked in. 
 
“Oops!” she halted. “Sorry!” 
 
They turned toward her embarrassed. 
 
Grinning widely, Donghae announced, “My wife’s having my baby!”
 
“Oh?” the nurse smiled. “Congratulations!” 
 
Donghae turned toward her, “Yes! I’m finally going to be a father!” 

***The moment you've all been waiting for! Donghae finally finds out he's going to be a lucky father :DDD

***Happy New Years!