Chapter 84

You Said Remember Me II

 

“No…” it came out as a whimper. “Leave him alone.” 
 
Victoria stared up into his eyes trying to summon up a glare. 
 
“Don’t you…touch him.” 
 
She let out a shout when he pushed her to the ground. 
 
“Victoria!” Nana called worried. 
 
Victoria’s hand went to her abdomen right away. She wanted to protect Donghae, she wanted to protect Donghae with all her might…but would she have to trade her baby in place of him? She couldn’t bear the thought. 
 
Nana put her hands on her shoulders protectively. 
 
“I hate you!” Ren Gei screamed pulling out something from his pocket and shot at the ceiling. 
 
Victoria cowered in fear and threw both hands over her ears. 
 
“I’m going to drag you to hell for sure this time. Or maybe I’ll have you watch your pitiful Lee Donghae die in my hands,” Ren Gei turned away from her with a fierce stare full of resentment before he turned to the others, “lets go get them.”
 
“Who?” Leo questioned. 
 
“The investigator and that bastard who keeps interfering, Eunhyuk.”
 
Victoria’s eyes enlarged. How in the world did they find out about Eunhyuk. Nana’s hands loosened from around her shoulders. 
 
“What do you guys want with him!?” Nana bellowed. 
 
Ren Gei paused at the bottom of the stairs and glanced back at her. Nana didn’t flinch. Victoria wondered if there was anything wrong with her. 
 
“Let Victoria go, you can have me. You can do whatever you want with me. Torture me, kill me. Don’t drag in anyone else.” Nana stated. 
 
A smirk flickered across Ren Gei’s face. 
 
“Oh?” he said. “You’re one big talker, aren’t you?” 
 
Victoria watched Nana who refused to move from her spot. 
 
“You guys were after me in the first place. I’ve stopped running now, haven’t I?” 
 
“Shut your trap,” Leo muttered, “no one ain’t gonna hurt you till I declare it time to.” 
 
Victoria glanced up to see the others staring down at them intently. Their cold eyes brought chills through her body. 
 
Something blared outside and they all turned away from each other. 
 
/ / / / /
 
When they arrived on site the area surrounding the shut down factory was barricaded with yellow tape. There were many bystanders and police officers trying to push them back for the sake of their own safety. Yuri doubted that many of them understood the value of their own lives. 
 
She passed through the barricade with Chief Kang and when they further traveled up the gravel path she wondered how Changmin felt when he was following the others there. He must have been so scared when he was made a victim and shot. Yuri couldn’t help but feel so sorry for him. 
 
Up ahead, at the end of the path where the trails of two buildings met sat a large van. One capable of blocking out a fire if ever there was one set to it. Yuri had heard stories about its creation but never had she thought she’d seen one. It was black and shiny, a replica of a large truck or van. Would she ever be able to see what was inside? 
 
“Chief!” Heechul waved them over. 
 
“Has everything been secured?” Chief Kang questioned. 
 
“Yes, I’m going to go check on the sniper unit to make sure everyone is in place.” Heechul said before running off. 
 
“Chief, this way.” a man walked up to them and led them toward the van ahead.
 
The officer knocked on the door and it slid open after a few seconds. Three men walked out, all in casual wear except one. A tall man approached them with a genuine smile holding out his hand to Chief Kang. 
 
“Heard a lot about you, Chief,” the man nodded, “my name is Jung Yunho. This here on my left is my intelligence specialist, Leeteuk, and on my right, Choi Siwon, for communications.” 
 
They greeted each other in a friendly manner. Jung Yunho turned around to look at the building. 
 
“We can’t yet tell what’s going on inside,” Yunho further informed, “but we’re going to pass a phone, it’s like a walkie-talkie, to the person in charge. We’ll be bargaining with him through a speaker inside the van. Has any of  your men have experience with hostage situations?”
 
“They’re all fairly trained.” 
 
Jung Yunho made no further comment about it, “Chief, I’m going to make you my right hand man in this situation. If I have an emergency, I’m going to call you on first. I heard that one of the two women held inside is your investigator’s wife.”
 
“Yes, it’s a sticky situation.” Chief Kang commented. 
 
“We’ll try our best,” Yunho promised before heading back into the van with his specialists. 
 
When the door closed Yuri turned to the Chief. 
 
“This is beyond what I’ve thought it to be honestly, Chief,” Yuri said exasperated at all the work around her. 
 
She glanced up to see that some troopers have even climbed the top of the buildings to hide themselves. More troopers surrounded the factory alone, but because this was not in the middle of a grassland they weren’t provided good enough places to hide. And plus, this was happening inside a city Yuri had always deemed safe. It seemed bizarre and very absurd. 
 
“Chief!” someone ran toward them with heavy boots bouncing off the floor. 
 
She saluted Chief Kang when she reached them. 
 
“All squads are under your command.” 
 
Yuri glanced at her golden nametag on her green suit, Kim Taeyeon. She was pretty small, but the long gun held upright in her hand surely made her seem smaller than her usual size. 
 
Chief Kang nodded, “Get in your position, I’ll have orders around soon enough.” 
 
“Yes, sir!” she sternly replied and ran off the way she’d came, her knees almost reaching her chest with the way she was running. 
 
Yuri turned back to the Chief, “You’re managing this whole squad?” 
 
“Not me alone,” Chief Kang replied, “we’re all in this together, I’m just the one who gathered everyone for this task.”
 
“How did you know there was going to be a hostage situation?”  
 
“Without trapping this guy and his gang in, they’re just going to continue running around believing they have the power to do so,” Chief Kang answered, “when the time comes, we just know what we have to do. Ren Gei is ruthless. He’s killed enough people, it’s pretty much time to properly contain him.”
 
Yuri watched him speak. 
 
“Join the troopers. You’re going to help me spread around information, Officer Kwon.” 
 
Yuri raised her eyebrow. 
 
“There’s no way we can bar the media from this incident, but we have to prevent any inside information from leaking out until Jung Yunho goes to speak to the press himself. He’s the real one who’ll know what’s actually going on inside.” 
 
Yuri nodded. 
 
It was more serious than she’d thought. And the seriousness of it all chilled her bones. She was beginning to doubt that everything would really turn out ok as she’d told Changmin. The sniper in Kim Taeyeon’s arms told her that the small girl was far more trained than she in the lines of being on the force. 
 
Yuri began to doubt her ability as a cop. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“What now?” Leeteuk questioned taking a seat at his computer. 
 
“They don’t know we’ve infiltrated the place so we don’t need to worry about making him feel anxious yet,” Yunho sat down on a chair and entwined his fingers together. “Can you brief me one more time about who we have in there?” 
 
“Sure will,” Leeteuk cheerily replied raising up a clipboard, “Ren Gei, 26, imprisoned for murder, has a history of mental issues which the doctor Seoul asylum diagnosed as OCD - obsessive compulsive disorder. Then we have Leo, 25, arrested for suspicion of murdering his friend, and guess what, at the age 8.”
 
“That’s crazy.” Siwon commented. 
 
“He has anger issues, gets into numerous fights, and is involved with lots of woman. Well what do you know?” Leeteuk bit on the cap of his pen.
 
“If he’s here, he must have some unresolved issues. Revenge, perhaps? What do you think, Siwon?” Yunho questioned. 
 
“Sounds probable.” Siwon nodded coolly leaning against the television screens behind him. 
 
“Go on,” Yunho insisted. 
 
“Then we have Dr. Song Yong Jo. He has a bachelor’s and a Ph.D, scary man I’d say. He exceeded far in his studies but was caught stealing organs from a half-alive man -”
 
“Half-conscious,” Siwon corrected. 
 
Leeteuk made a face at him before continuing, “It was caught on tape and he admitted to working for an organization which hasn’t been named. Ouch.”
 
“So we have two murders on our hands.” Yunho concluded. 
 
“And there’s a woman, Young Ae, 26. Comes from a family of drug dealers, wouldn’t be a surprise if she did them herself. Her specialty is in robbing and threatening. Quite something for a woman.” 
 
“Anybody else?” 
 
“Yun Eui Tae, 29. Body builder and has a bachelor’s in Kinseology. Known for being fairly friendly and quiet, but he’s been reported to attacking those he hangs out with. Bones broken, fractured, all that.”
 
“Those the hostage takers?” Yunho asked looking at Leeteuk from where he sat. 
 
Leeteuk nodded. 
 
“What about the victims? No one with any disabilities?”
 
“No, sirreee,” Leeteuk shook his head. “Victoria Song, 26, has a lone background. Parents died at a young age, taken in by her aunt, and from what I know she’s married to criminal investigator, Lee Donghae.”
 
“That the Chief’s investigator?” Siwon questioned. 
 
Yunho nodded. 
 
“Scary situation for him.” Siwon finished. 
 
“Oops, I missed something,” Leeteuk cut in, “she spent 2 years at rehab.” Leeteuk shuffled through his papers and picked one up. “Ren Gei spent 2 years at the same Hangzhou rehab.” 
 
“So hostage knows the victim?” Siwon turned to Leeteuk, arms crossed.  
  
“We can’t assume, it’s said that Ren Gei has OCD, right Leeteuk?” Yunho asked. 
 
“Uh…yea.” Leeteuk nodded glancing over the papers. 
 
“Obsessive compulsive, what do you think that might be?” Yunho turned toward Siwon. 
 
Siwon fell into a long thought before he clapped his hands together. “Victoria Song.” 
 
“He’s after her, but what about the rest of the gang? Did they just come along for a joy ride?” Yunho narrowed his eyebrows. “They must have some share in this.”
 
“Maybe they’ve been promised money,” Siwon added. “There must be some goods in store for them at the end.” 
 
“The gang does have a record of drug dealing,” Leeteuk commented. 
 
“There’s another girl in there,” Yunho recalled. “Who is she?” 
 
“Im Jinah, 19. She just recently graduated, but her brother’s declared as missing.” 
 
“Brother?” 
 
“Yes,” Leeteuk nodded, “there’s something about how he worked on the front lines as well, but won’t declare what group he worked for.”
 
“Any reason why she might be in there?” 
 
“No clue.” 
 
“Siwon, are we ready to go?” Yunho asked quietly. 
 
“Yunho, are you going to allow shooting?” Siwon asked nervously. “You know you have a word about this over the Chief in charge.”
 
“Keep them in range,” Yunho flatly stated, “shoot the hostage takers, and if the situation comes to the worst, there’s nothing we can do about the hostages.” 
 
Leeteuk gulped loudly. 
 
“Are you sure about this?” Siwon repeated. 
 
“Lets get going.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Leeteuk stepped out of the van, the door closing loudly behind him. He’d tucked the phone into a thin handmade backpack he’d picked up after his trip to Italy. He hadn’t imagined he’d use the bag this way, but there hadn’t been time to find anything else. He glanced around and walked toward a frail but buff man.
 
“You there,” Leeteuk called. 
 
The young man turned toward him and jogged over, his hair flapping against the side of his face.
 
“What’s your name?” 
 
“Sungmin, sir!” 
 
Leeteuk handed him the bag, “Can you throw well?” 
 
“Did you want me to throw something, sir?” 
 
“That’s why I’m asking.” 
 
Sungmin glanced at the bag in his hand, “Yes, sir. I’ll do my best.” 
 
“We stuffed the walkie-talkie into a cushion, so don’t worry about how you throw it,” Leeteuk assured. “Go to the rooftop across the hostage taker’s camp and don’t throw it until Yunho gives the signal, got it?” 
 
Sungmin nodded anxiously. The beads of sweat on his forehead underneath the day’s sun made Leeteuk feel nervous. 
 
“This is a special task I’m assigning you to. Don’t disappoint us and the girls inside, understand?” 
 
“Understood.” 
 
Leeteuk patted his back and watched him run toward the building. 
 
Once he opened the door he saw Siwon wiring some things to the speaker and stepped back into the van. 
 
“It’s your turn,” Leeteuk sat down on his chair. 
 
“Let me know when you’re ready,” Yunho directed his attention to Siwon. 
 
“I am whenever you are,” Siwon turned around with a smile. 
 
Yunho grabbed his speaker phone and stepped out. 

***Woohoo~ Cameo appearances from Leeteuk, Siwon, & Yunho :D They look kinda cool so I decided to use them as the hostage specialists xD 

***And next chapter, a hostage switch