Chapter 2

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / / 
 
Victoria picked up her bag off the table and watched as the students emptied the lecture hall. Starting up the stairs she felt her phone vibrate from inside her pocket. Reaching for her phone she discovered that it was Donghae. 
 
“What?” she answered. 
 
“Where are you?” Donghae questioned. 
 
“At school.” 
 
“In a classroom, outside, in your office?” 
 
“What’s with the questions?” she pushed the door open. 
 
“Stay where you are,” he told. 
 
Victoria paused and looked around, “Why? Are you here somewhere?” 
 
She tilted her head to look around the students. 
 
“I’m almost there.” 
 
Victoria glanced at her watch as she started off again, “Why? It’s not even lunch yet.”
 
“Where are you going?!” his voice became louder. 
 
Confused, Victoria halted again, “Is something the matter? You’re acting strange.” 
 
“You have a class right now, right?” he asked. “Don’t leave that room until I come get you.” 
 
She frowned, “Why?” 
 
“Stop asking me why,” he sounded irritated. 
 
“Because you’re being strange!” Victoria pointed out. 
 
Donghae sighed, “Sorry, I…nothing. I’ll be there in a bit.” 
 
He hung up leaving her confused. 
 
When class ended, Victoria picked up her books to find Donghae walking toward her. 
 
“You’re here?” she asked hurrying toward him. “What was the call about? What’s going on?” 
 
“It’s nothing,” he smiled giving her a peck. 
 
“You sounded panicked,” she reminded, “did something come up at work? Is it your new case?” 
 
“Chief Kang let me out early, cancel the rest of your classes.” 
 
“Why?” 
 
“You still have some more?” he asked surprised. 
 
Victoria smiled, “I’m done for the day.” 
 
She wrapped an arm around him. 
 
“Where should we go for lunch?” 
 
After an hour lunch they headed for the grocery store and didn’t return back to the house till later that evening. Placing the dozen bags onto the kitchen table Victoria turned around to look at Donghae. 
 
“We bought quite a lot,” she commented. “Will it even fit in the fridge?” 
 
“We’ll make it fit!” he replied enthusiastically. 
 
Leaving the chicken to thaw on the kitchen table, Victoria started up the stairs to change into something comfortable. Tossing her jacket onto the desk chair she turned around when the door opened. 
 
“Are you stalking me today?” she questioned. 
 
“That’s not funny,” he remarked also tossing his jacket aside. 
 
Victoria glanced at him confused with the serious atmosphere, “Is something up? You’re not being your usual self today.” 
 
“It’s nothing,” he assured taking a step toward her. 
 
She felt him put an arm around her waist pulling her close. 
 
“What?” she wondered. 
 
“Nothing,” he kissed her. 
 
Victoria took another look at him confused, but found him kissing her again. Unable to speak she felt her hand crawl onto his shoulder before her feet started backing up. A hand slid around his neck when the soft sheets caressed her back. Wrapping an arm around him she could feel his fingers work her buttons off one by one. When the fourth button became loose Victoria awoke from the trance when her ears picked up the ringing of his phone. The last kiss came disappointedly before she heard him sigh and got up. 
 
Sitting up she watched as he grabbed his phone and stared at the caller ID for the longest time. 
 
“Who is it?” Victoria asked. 
 
“It’s the Chief,” he pulled a fake smile before walking out. 
 
When the door closed Victoria got up concerned. 
 
/ / / / / 
 
“Nothing happened, right? I didn’t hear from you…” 
 
“You picked just the right time,” Donghae remarked sarcastically then glanced up the stairs, “we’re home, Victoria’s ok.” 
 
“You should let Victoria know, she can take care of herself too.” 
 
“It’s going to alarm her,” Donghae explained, “and she’ll worry more for me than herself.” 
 
The door to the bedroom opened. 
 
“I have to, don’t call me again later.” Donghae stuck his phone into his pocket and turned back to look at Victoria who was now halfway down the stairs. 
 
“What’d he say?” Victoria asked. “Did something happen?” 
 
“No.” he smiled pulling her hand leading her toward the kitchen. “Are you hungry, because, I, Lee Donghae, have decided to cook for you.” 
 
“You?” she repeated surprised. “Can your uncle also eat the food?” 
 
“Why are you always adding him in?” he asked upset. 
 
“Then what is he going to eat?” 
 
“He’ll eat out.” 
 
/ / / / / 
 
“Nana!” Kikwang shouted after her. 
 
Stubbornly, Nana hurried toward the garage door and started pounding on it. Running toward her he pulled her around. 
 
“What are you doing?” 
 
“Let go of me,” she ordered. “I’m going to get revenge.” 
 
“Revenge? What can you do? Just knowing how to pull the trigger of a gun doesn’t assure you an all kill,” Kikwang spat. “You’re being reckless. Those men are dangerous, furthermore, we don’t even know where they came from!” 
 
“Exactly why I have to hunt them down myself!” Nana shouted. “If you won’t help me, I’ll do it on my own!” 
 
Nana and Kikwang stared each other down. The dark clouds drifted in front of the full white moon casting a dark shadow over them. A cat jumped off a garbage bin in the alley they were standing in and not even a speck of light appeared in the buildings surrounding them. As the shadow disappeared, Nana started to turn around. 
 
He grabbed her arm, “Fine, follow me.” 
 
He pulled her along after him and entered a convenience store at the corner of the street. 
 
“Welcome!” the clerk behind the counter greeted. 
 
Kikwang pulled her pass the clerk and toward a small shelf containing the day’s newspaper. Grabbing it he held it toward her. Nana glanced at him silently before taking the newspaper from him. 
 
“Jail Break, Prisoner Ren Gei on the Loose…”
 
Nana turned to Kikwang annoyed, “Are you joking with me right now? What does a friggin jail break have to do with Junsu?!”
 
Snatching the paper from her he placed it back on the shelf and pulled her out. By now Nana’s blood was already impatiently boiling. 
 
“Haven’t you heard about him?” 
 
“What?” 
 
“A year ago Ren Gei attacked a psychology professor and was sent behind bars by Detective Lee Donghae,” Kikwang explained, “the people who killed Junsu are Chinese, Ren Gei is Chinese. It’s too coincidental that he escaped right after the gang tried robbing the bank.”
 
She stared at him. 
 
“We,” he started, “don’t know who they are, and that’s the scary part.” 
 
“So all we have to do, is search for them?” Nana asked. 
 
“Don’t you dare go out alone,” Kikwang warned, “I have to get back to quarters and see what else has come up. Promise me, you won’t go alone.” 
 
“Ok.” Nana promised. 
 
Kikwang stared at her a while more before finally walking away and disappearing along with the shadows of the night. Nana turned around and reentered the convenience store. 
 
Grabbing the newspaper she turned toward the clerk, “How much is this?” 
 
/ / / / / 
 
“Are you asleep?” Donghae to his side. 
 
Victoria was sleeping on her side turned away from him. He wished that she’d slept the other way so he could get a glimpse of her face. 
 
“It’s late, why aren’t you asleep?” she mumbled tired. 
 
He inched toward her so that he could lean into her. 
 
“You cried a lot when Han In Seol left, right?” 
 
She didn’t reply. 
 
“I’m going to cry a hundred times harder if anything ever happens to you.” 
 
Victoria turned around to look at him. 
 
“Why are you talking about him?” she questioned. 
 
“Because you can’t forget him, right?” 
 
Victoria moved closer to him, “There are people you’re meant to remember even if you want to forget them. Just because I still remember him doesn’t mean I’ll forget you. Nothing will change the fact that you’re my husband.” 
 
She snuggled against him. 
 
“I’ll hug you to sleep, so close your eyes,” she whispered wrapping an arm around him. 
 
He hugged her back and nestled his face against her. Ren Gei would never get close to her again. He wouldn’t allow it, even if it meant his life. 
 

***A midnight update :) I wanted to post up chapter two since I won't have the chance to do it during the day.

***Our couple are as happy as ever :D I forgot about Melodix, I'll bring her in some time soon xD