Chapter 16

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Hidden from view at the side of the restaurant Donghae faced the pretty young woman who seemed as if she didn’t want to be there at the moment. It was written all over her face. 
 
“Did you know Im Junsu was murdered at a bank robbing incident?” Donghae questioned. 
 
“No,” she replied refusing to meet with his eyes. 
 
“Are you a close friend of his?” 
 
“I don’t even know him that well,” she answered fluttering her eyes nervously. 
 
Donghae glanced at her fingers which she was gripping so tightly, “Then what kind of relationship did you have with him?” 
 
“We didn’t have any relationship.” 
 
“You’re lying,” Donghae accused. 
 
She looked up at him surprised. 
 
“My wife is a psychology professor,” Donghae explained, “she says when people don’t look you in the eye when you question them, they’re hiding something from you. You were anxiously gripping your fingers hoping to calm yourself down. You must know Im Junsu pretty well.” 
 
“What do you want? I don’t know him, I mean it!” she almost shouted. 
 
“Im Junsu was murdered,” Donghae continued ignoring her lie, “the people who killed him have my wife. Her life is in danger and his sister is unable to properly mourn for him. Not until I find these guys can we all return to our normal daily lives. Do you understand the severity of your cooperation?” 
 
She gripped her loose fingers again and shifted from foot to foot. 
 
“I don’t need you to decide if you can tell me what you know, I just need you to answer questions so I can find these guys,” Donghae persuaded, “who was Im Junsu to you? Who do you know that could have had a grudge against him?” 
 
After a long moment of hesitation she finally spoke up with tears b in the corner of her eyes, “I only liked him, we only went out a few times. That’s all, honestly.” 
 
She quieted. 
 
“The only person I knew who hated him was my ex…” 
 
Donghae waited. Then anxiety he was feeling felt like it’d burst his veins open.  
 
“I’d broken up with him, but he thought we were still together and accused me of having an affair,” Yang Hye Su quickly muttered.
 
“What about his name?” Donghae pestered. 
 
“Leo, he has a Mohwak,” Yang Hye Su responded seeming scared, “please don’t let him know where I am. He frightens me sometimes…if he comes look for me, I don’t know what’ll happen. I can’t believe that Junsu’s dead…I’m so sorry…I didn’t know it’d end up like this. I honestly didn’t know anything…” 
 
“I promise, I won’t let anyone know,” was all Donghae could say, “thanks, and if you feel insecure you should stay with a friend or contact the police. It’s much safer than coming to these kind of places alone.” 
 
Donghae reached into his wallet and handed her a card. 
 
“They say he’s dead, but he’s actually back in Incheon,” Donghae explained, “I know you didn’t tell me everything you know, but if you contact him and tell him who you are, I guarantee you that he’ll be able to keep you safe.”
 
When he returned to the restaurant he found Nana sitting alone at the table glumly staring into the distance. Once he neared, she immediately stood up. 
 
“What’d she say?” she asked with wide eyes. 
 
When Yang Hye Su appeared through the door Nana’s eyes shifted in her direction. 
 
“We should stay hidden as well,” Donghae said, “I’ll find us a place to stay. Make sure you don’t go anywhere in the open.” 
 
Nana seemed to half glare at him, but he ignored her and started toward the counter to pay. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria sat upon the bed in the guest bedroom drawing her knees up to her chest. The room felt so foreign and distant from her bedroom. She missed the comfort of laying beside Donghae and being assured that she wasn’t at all alone. Sometimes they’d even talk until dawn and when the sun rose up it’d gleam upon their framed photographs. But the table beside her was small and empty with only a lamp and alarm clock. The alarm clock that Donghae hated the most. 
 
She really missed him. 
 
The knock at the door made her turn around. Yuri had a fluffy white towel and pajamas in her hands. 
 
“You can take a shower, the guest room has a bathroom through that door,” Yuri explained, “do make yourself comfortable. Don’t hesitate to ask for anything.” 
 
Victoria got to her feet taking the things from her. 
 
“Thanks.” 
 
“No problem,” Yuri smiled. “Have a good night.” 
 
When Victoria closed the door she turned again to face the room that felt so foreign to her. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Donghae changed the channel of the TV feeling bored by the news and turned to take a glance at Nana who was sitting upon her bed looking fazed. They’d come across a small inn and he’d rented out a two bedroom place. It smelled of cigars but there was nothing he could do about it. Getting up he stepped out of the room and glanced out at the night city as he leaned against the railing on the second floor. The parking lot lie below them but he didn’t have a car, so he didn’t bother looking. 
 
“What did that girl tell you?” Nana appeared a second later. 
 
Donghae remained quiet as he decided whether he should tell her or not. 
 
“Your brother must have been a very independent person,” was all he said. 
 
Nana turned to look at him, “That doesn’t answer anything. He’s my brother, I should have the right to know.”  
 
He sighed, “How often did your brother come home?”
 
Nana turned away shifting her eyes everywhere as she wondered whether he was asking a trick question. 
 
“Almost everyday.” 
 
“Almost?” Donghae repeated. “That must mean that there were times when he didn’t come back.” 
 
“So?” 
 
“Nana, your brother was in a relationship,” Donghae told. “This only happened because someone was angry with their relationship. I think you should go back home. The person you’re going after is more dangerous than we think. It’s unreasonable for you to go after him blindly.” 
 
“If you kick me out here, I’m going to do it on my own,” Nana warned.
 
“Your brother’s problem isn’t yours,” Donghae tried to point out.
 
“Junsu’s still my brother,” Nana bit her tongue, “if it was just because of a stupid relationship problem, I’m not letting his killer get away with it. I need to bring justice to my brother, and I’m going to do it with my own hands. The fact that I’m the only one left in my family, the fact that I’m forever alone doesn’t matter to me as much as the fact that they took an innocent person’s life. No, it’s not going to end just like this. I know this is foolish, I know I’m being naïve thinking I can really bring his killer to his knees, but I’d rather chase him blindly than just mourn alone. My mind won’t be able to rest itself when I know he’s lurking around somewhere. Especially when I know they want something from me as well. But I won’t give it to them until Junsu’s killer apologizes on his knees.”
 
Their staring face off lasted a few moments before Donghae turned away. 
 
“So that’s your resolve?” he asked. 
 
Nana’s eyebrow flung itself up surprised. She’d thought he’d continue his lecture on her.
 
“My parents were killed in a burglary incident,” Dongahe started, “their killer is in prison. The incident awoke my desire to help solve crimes so I entered the police academy. It’s not like I don’t understand your determination to avenge your brother, but I don’t think you have the capability to do it. You’re just a normal girl who graduated from high school. You could be studying in a university rather than running around trying to tail someone you don’t even know.”
 
“Are you pitying me?” 
 
“You don’t have to think so negatively,” Donghae said, “I’m just trying to help you rather than have you follow me around. It’s dangerous, it’s not really what you think it to be, I can tell you that. There’s a lot of chasing, a lot of information to be found out, and most of the way there you have to dig your way into other’s lives. You can be scorned, scolded, or bashed by them. I don’t think you need to go that far for your brother’s death.” 
 
“I don’t care, if I was afraid of that I would have never set foot here,” Nana explained. 
 
“This time it’s different,” Donghae tried, “I have more than just one thing on my mind that I have to do.”
 
Nana stared at him, “That you have to look for your wife too? Then what kind of connection does she have with them that they’re after her? Or do you have some kind of connection with them?” 
 
He turned to look at her. The words that had come flying out of sounded like they were criticizing him and even worst, Victoria. 
 
“Don’t talk like that, Victoria hasn’t done anything wrong.” 
 
Nana turned away, “Then what was the incident last year about? Wasn’t it your wife that was involved in it?” 
 
Again, the topic of Victoria seemed so fragile and dear to him that he didn’t want to bring her up at all. A of girls walked by laughing about a joke the other had told. When they disappear down the stairs Donghae stopped leaning against the railing and stuck his hands into his pockets. 
 
“Victoria’s parents died when she was young. She went into the care of her aunt and suffered some disorders, therefore she went to a rehabilitation center in Hangzhou where she met Ren Gei. She returned to Korea where her aunt died, Ren Gei followed her. He stalked her and murdered those who were close to her,” Donghae summarized, “we caught him, sent him to jail, but he escaped. He joined the gang when he got out and they most likely have Victoria since she’s missing from home. I need to look for her before anything happens.”
 
“Then anything could have happened already,” Nana told. 
 
“Not yet.” he shook his head in denial. “Even so, Ren Gei wouldn’t let anyone lay their hands on her.” 
 
“What is it about her that’s got you all drooling over her?” Nana wondered naively. 
 
A small laugh left him and he fell into silent thought for a few seconds. 
 
“I don’t know,” he replied, “the more I got to know her, the more fascinated I became. I know she hated me for intruding into her life, but I couldn’t help myself. The more a person gets to know her, she drags them in without being aware of it. There’s something special about her that’s unexplainable.”
 
“You’ve suddenly become talkative,” Nana remarked. 
 
“Have I?” he laughed. “There’s a lot I have to say about my wife. Now that I’m talking about her, I miss her more.”
 
“When did you get married?” 
 
“March 4, 3 months after I proposed, we’re been married for almost over a year now,” he explained proudly. 
 
“So you don’t have any kids?” 
 
“I want one,” was all he answered. “But right now, I’m glad that we don’t have one. The situation would be much more difficult if we did have one.” 
 
/ / / /
 
Victoria’s leg jumped and she awoke. The window before her shone dimly and she quickly observed the room she was sleeping. Remembering that she wasn’t at home she sat up feeling distraught. Rubbing her eyes with her hand she leaned against the headboard and crossed her legs. 
 
When she had a nightmare she could lean against Donghae or wake him up and talk to him, but at this moment Donghae was somewhere far away from her. Goosebumps chilled her skin. The purple mansion of the rehabilitation center flashed into her mind. She hadn’t thought of the place for so long now. Not after Donghae had found out about it, not after he’d been released from the hospital, and especially not after they married. She’d barely thought about that place. 
 
Ren Gei had never once appeared in her thoughts as well. Victoria was feeling unsettled now that she knew Donghae was on the run. Was he alright? Had they hurt him? The never ending thoughts of worry never left her. 
 
Getting up from the bed she started down the stairs to hear who she assumed was Yuri moving about in the kitchen. When she peeked around the corner she saw Yuri stirring something in a pan and glanced at the time. It was only 6 in the morning and yet she was up cooking breakfast. She’d usually wake up around 6 to cook for Donghae and his uncle, and he’d complained that she should’ve still been sleeping. How long would it take to regain those days again? 
 
“You’re up?” Yuri’s voice surprised her. 
 
Victoria walked over, “Do you want help with anything?” 
 
“You’re up kind of early,” she commented. 
 
“I usually wake up at this time,” Victoria smiled. 
 
“You can just sit down,” Yuri said, “do you want something to snack on?”
 
Victoria shook her head as she took a seat on a stool, “Are you and Changmin cohabiting?” 
 
A loud laugh escaped from Yuri as she hung her head back in shock at her question. The spatula in her hand almost fell when she regained herself. 
 
“I’ve received this question so many times before, but I didn’t think you’d ask.” 
 
“Oh…sorry.” 
 
“Don’t be,” Yuri waved her hand to dismiss her apology, “we’ve been friends since we were practically babies. It’s kind of a scary thought, but it’s true. Our parents are super close and they disliked the idea of me coming to work in Osan. Then somehow Changmin also landed a job in Osan and it suddenly became a very good idea that we live together so that we can take care of each other. Changmin was totally against it, but he sulked into it after a lecture from his parents. We both split the bills to make things easier.” 
 
“So you’ve known each other since young?” Victoria asked. “Where are you originally from?” 
 
“Seoul.”
 
“Really? You could have found a good job in Seoul too.” 
 
“I know, but I wanted to get somewhere away from home. If you know what I mean,” Yuri explained. 
 
“I’ve been alone since I was a senior in high school, so being away from home or staying home doesn’t quite seem like a difference to me,” Victoria said, “but I can see where you’re coming from. You look like a very honest person.” 
 
“Really?” Yuri smiled. “That’s the first time I’ve been told that. Then what about you? You don’t look very old, but you’re already a professor at Seoul University, and you’re married.” 
 
“I was lent the position by a professor I studied with,” Victoria told, “after she retired, I just went in. My husband and I got married a little over a year ago.”
 
“That hasn’t been too long,” Yuri nodded, “I’ll be leaving in a bit. I’ll be sure to check up that phone number you gave me last night, so you can look forward to news about that when I return home.” 
 
“Thanks.” 
 
When Yuri left, Victoria found herself checking every news channel on TV for anything. There was nothing about any homicides whatsoever so Victoria ended up turning off the TV. She sat quietly for a moment before the urge kicked in and she got up. Starting for front door she picked up her shoes and left through the back door.