Chapter 7

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Donghae paced back and forth inside the empty home feeling unsettled. He should have told Victoria not to go out. What if something happened? It would have been better if he’d notified Eunhyuk or Hee Sun to watch after Victoria. Peering through the window for the hundredth time he found the driveway still empty of her car. Sighing, he crossed his arms and started pacing again. When an engine died outside the window he turned to see Victoria getting out of her car. 
 
With heart racing he started toward the door, but as soon as he flung open the door he spotted another car stopping briefly by the end of the driveway. Victoria stopped in her steps and followed his gaze. 
 
Eunhyuk parked his car reluctantly and got out. 
 
He glanced at Victoria before turning to Donghae and smiled with a lie coming out of his mouth, “I have something to talk to Donghae about.” 
 
Victoria frowned a little and turned back to look at Donghae. Sensing her distrust, Donghae walked toward her. 
 
“Go inside,” Donghae told gently putting a hand on her shoulder. 
 
“Why? What are you going to talk about?” Victoria questioned. 
 
He patted her shoulder and watched as she glanced at the two of them before heading inside hesitantly. Once the front door was closed Donghae stopped before his friend wondering why he’d followed her home. 
 
“Why are you here?” Donghae questioned. 
 
Eunhyuk stared back, “I was worried.” 
 
Donghae’s eyes narrowed a bit. 
 
“I saw the newspaper,” Eunhyuk clarified himself, “Victoria doesn’t know, does she?” 
 
Donghae’s eyes widened a bit. 
 
“Why haven’t you told her?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
“I don’t want her to know.” 
 
“It’ll be better if you let her know,” Eunhyuk pointed out, “she can look out for herself as well, she can call for help, she’s not useless, Hae. Besides, you’re already here looking out for her.”
 
“It’ll worry her even more.” Donghae told. “Victoria doesn’t need anymore stress.” 
 
Eunhyuk stared at him silently, “She’ll think you don’t trust her.” 
 
“What has it got to do with you?” 
 
“Nothing,” Eunhyuk stated certain of the tension Donghae was building around them, “I’m only worried as a friend.”
 
“Don’t cross the line, don’t.” Donghae warned. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria couldn’t quite help herself but glance outside of the window. Donghae had been so serious about Eunhyuk after the incident that even speaking of him casually could make him get angry with her. She didn’t understand why Donghae still felt jealous around his friend. Had she mistakenly done something wrong somewhere between the time after she got married to Donghae? 
 
The door opened catching her by surprise and Donghae walked in. 
 
“What’d you two talk about?” Victoria asked. “Are you two ok?” 
 
“Nothing,” Donghae walked toward her. “Did you meet up with Eunhyuk in Incheon?” 
 
Victoria glanced at him and took him by the arm, “Don’t get mad. I just wanted some air.” 
 
“It’s ok,” Donghae smiled at her, “I’m not angry.” 
 
“You’re not lying?” 
 
“I’m not a child,” he scowled at her, “I’m just glad you didn’t go alone.” 
 
Victoria turned to follow him into the kitchen. 
 
“Alone?” 
 
“Well, I’d rather you have someone with you,” he opened the fridge and turned to look at her, “since you’ve eaten, your punishment is to cook me a buffet style lunch.”
 
As he turned to look at her with a smile, Victoria couldn’t quite help to feel that something was off. 
 
/ / / / /
 
The engine of the bus roared quietly, but the roads were horrible. The bus shook every few seconds awaking Nana from her sleep. They’d been passing blurry fields of green trees and they hadn’t yet arrived in Incheon. 
 
Nana could still remember the man’s words that the Chinese gang had asked for directions to a bus stop and something about Incheon. Why were they going to Incheon? What was there?
 
/ / / / /
 
Leo laughed loudly from the back of the car they’d stolen after beating its owner to a pulp. 
 
“Is it that amusing?” Young Ae questioned not amused, arms crossed over her puffy chest.
 
“Yes, it’s that amusing,” Leo answered. 
 
“Where exactly are we headed?” Jin Young questioned, face still contorted with pain. 
 
“Incheon.” Ren Gei shortly answered from the passenger seat. 
 
“Is there someone waiting for you there?” Jin Young continued. 
 
“We’re going after that investigator,” Leo answered. “And that is going to be there as well. You want to slash her to pieces don’t you, Jin Young?” 
 
Jin Young snorted. 
 
“I’m not gaming in this,” Yong Jo told through closed eyes. 
 
Leo whistled, “Don’t worry about that. All you’re going to have to worry about is the explosion.” 
 
“I’m getting a headache, can you guys shut up?” Eui Tae demanded from the front. 
 
“Loser,” Leo muttered. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria opened her eyes to find that she wasn’t yet feeling tired at all. Turning to lay on her back she turned her head to find Donghae sleeping soundly. After a few seconds she got up quietly and went downstairs for a cup of water. The light in the living room was still on when she neared the foot of the stairs. Pausing at the bottom step she saw that Donghae’s uncle was up reading a book quietly in the large white chair of his. 
 
“You’re not asleep?” Victoria asked starting toward him. 
 
Taking a seat on the long couch beside him she leaned over the arm rest to get a glimpse of the book he was reading. 
 
“Philosophy and contemporary issues,” Victoria read aloud, “do you like philosophy?” 
 
Donghae’s uncle turned to look at her, “Mmm…I like this area of studies. There’s a lot of depth, you know?” 
 
“I know,” Victoria smiled. 
 
His uncle set the book down onto his lap, “You should be tired from the trip, why aren’t you asleep?” 
 
Victoria shrugged, “I just can’t.” 
 
“Wait here a moment,” he told. 
 
Setting the book aside he got up and went up the stairs. After a few seconds he came back down with a photo album in his hands. Returning to his seat he turned to her. 
 
“I apologize,” he started, “I don’t have a wife nor children, so I don’t understand women well. If I’ve said anything of offense, I’m sorry.” 
 
“Ah…no, it’s alright,” Victoria shook her head. 
 
“Donghae’s father is my brother,” he told, “they loved taking pictures of him when they were still alive. This is what they’ve left behind, and I believe they’d like it very much if I gave it to you.” 
 
Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. 
 
“They’ve only filled it up a quarter of the way,” his uncle explained, “why don’t you fill the rest up for them?” 
 
He handed her the photo album and Victoria hesitated. It had been such an important item filled with so much value. Would it be alright to just take it? 
 
“Do take it,” his uncle urged. “Donghae has been lonely as a child. He was always on and off in relationships and I was afraid for a moment that he might end up an old man like me. I’m glad you came along into his life. He looks so much happier these days and so much more content. Thank you, really, for giving Donghae happiness. His parents must be very proud of their daughter-in-law.” 
 
His words flattered and touched her so much that she wasn’t quite sure how to answer. 
 
“Don’t stay up too late, you might be late for your job tomorrow,” he patted her back gently before grabbing his book and headed up the stairs. 
 
When the door to his bedroom closed, Victoria took the photo album. Placing it upon her lap she opened up to the first page. Donghae’s baby pictures had been laid out neatly and flipping the pages she saw him in his first school uniform and so on. He seemed like he’d been such a happy boy when his parents were alive. Had life been hard after they passed? 
 
Returning back to the bedroom she half jumped back onto the bed and lie on her side so that she could see his sleeping face. Smiling she wrapped an arm around him suddenly feeling an overwhelming amount of love for him. 
 
“What are you doing?” he mumbled. 
 
“Hugging you,” she replied. 
 
He wrapped an arm around her, “Hug me some more.” 
 
Closing her eyes she smiled, “I love you.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Yawning, he to his back and stretched before turning to see that Victoria was already gone. Sitting up he turned to glance at the bag he’d dropped by the desk last night. Reaching for it he walked out of the room and headed down the stairs. He discovered Victoria sitting in the arm chair reading a magazine. Hurrying over he wrapped his arms around her from behind. 
 
“Ah!” she complained. 
 
Smiling, he let go and walked around to face her hiding the bag behind his back. She didn’t turn to glance at him which annoyed him. 
 
“Look at me,” he told kicking her leg. 
 
Victoria frowned and looked at him. 
 
“Ta-da!” he held out the bag for her to see. 
 
“What’s that?” 
 
Reaching into the bag he pulled out a one piece pajama he’d bought her. 
 
“Do you like it?” 
 
Her expression didn’t change even when she asked, “It’s ugly.” 
 
“What?” he gasped and turned to look at it. 
 
“I waited in line for 10 minutes just for this.” 
 
“I don’t want to wear it,” she stood up. “Go return it and give me the money you used to buy it.” 
 
“Yah!” he shouted after her. 
 
He found her setting the table in the kitchen. 
 
“There’s a parade in Incheon today,” Victoria told, “do you want to go see?” 
 
“Parade?” he repeated almost interested. 
 
“I’ll drive there after work and we can meet up,” Victoria suggested. “Sounds good?” 
 
“I’ll pick you up,” he rephrased her sentence. “I’ll drop you off at work and pick you up.” 
 
“I can drive.” 
 
“As your husband, I’ll drive,” he insisted giving her a peck on the cheek.
 
“You’re so touchy, go away,” she shooed him off. 
 
“Tsk,” he muttered. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana stepped off the bus at last and looked around. Where to go now? How was she going to track down the Chinese gang? After thinking for a few seconds she started off down the street. If she walked around a little she should come across at least something…
 
After walking around for hours she finally stopped by a roadside stall and got something to eat. Pulling some cash out of her pocket she turned when she heard loud voices coming from down the corner. Getting out of the chair she started toward the crowd of excited youngsters. 
 
“It’s about to start! Lets go!” 
 
Wondering about what was going on Nana followed them from a distance and stopped behind them. Drums started beating and cheers started to fill the air. Confused she turned to her right to see a large crowd marching by. As the marching band started passing by she turned to follow them with her eyes. She paused and turned to gaze at the crowd on the opposite side of the street. Out of all the unfamiliar faces she spotted the Investigator Lee Donghae standing amongst them. 
 
Squinting her eyes to get a better view she saw that he was standing with a woman, his arm around her shoulders. Had he come down to Incheon for the parade? Or was he really keeping an eye on her as he’d said he would? 
 
Nana turned around to walk away. 

***We're almost there!