Chapter 40

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Yuri walked into the kitchen to find Eunhyuk sitting alone at the table, his back to her. She wanted to walk over to him and give him a friendly hug to let him know that he didn’t have to be depressed alone. However, she couldn’t bring herself to do anything. 
 
She did walk into the kitchen and poured a glass of water. After a few minutes of contemplation she walked over and set the glass in front of him. 
 
“I’m going to go pick up Donghae and Victoria,” Yuri wanted to let him know. 
 
Whether he would be comfortable when the two returned she wasn’t sure. Eunhyuk never really talked about how he felt. 
 
“Ok.” was all he said before she left. 
 
“So, what happened exactly?” Changmin asked from where he was sitting a while later. 
 
“Oh…” Eunhyuk started, “not much. It looks like they were followed on the way to the mart.”
 
“Did they beat Lee Donghae up?” Changmin pushed on. 
 
“I’m not sure,” Eunhyuk replied turning to look at him. 
 
“I’m glad I gave Victoria my phone, who knows what would be going on now if I haven’t given it to her,” Changmin said relieved, “that comes to say, none of you are equipped with a cell phone.”
 
“I guess not,” Eunhyuk shrugged. 
 
His had been destroyed in the water and Donghae’s as well. Victoria had been phone-less to start off with. How were they going to contact each other if one went off on their own? 
 
Turning away from Changmin he turned to look at Nana who sat propped up on the single seat adjacent to where he was sitting. She’d been staring at the TV the whole time, or was it that she was trying to avoid eavesdropping on them? 
 
The door opened and Yuri returned with Donghae and Victoria. Eunhyuk turned around to watch them make their way in. Donghae didn’t look too bad so Eunhyuk assumed they hadn’t hurt him much, and he was glad for it. 
 
“Feeling better?” Changmin greeted. “I was surprised to hear about what was happening when Yuri suddenly called my workplace.” 
 
“Thanks,” Donghae thanked him for the concern. 
 
Eunhyuk got up when Donghae walked toward him. 
 
“Welcome back,” Eunhyuk smiled. 
 
Donghae slipped an arm around him and patted his back. 
 
“So I heard you saved me,” Donghae said, “thanks a lot. Oh…and I’m going to be a father.” 
 
Eunhyuk glanced at that bright smile on Donghae’s face and couldn’t help but return the feeling. Of course, he knew Donghae would be ecstatic when he found out. 
 
“Did you eat?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
“We had dinner at the cafeteria,” Donghae explained. 
 
“Thanks, Eunhyuk,” Victoria thanked, “I owe you a lot.” 
 
“Don’t worry about it,” Eunhyuk told. 
 
“We’ll talk later, ok?” she promised. 
 
He nodded and watched as they headed up the stairs. 
 
“You guys must be hungry, right?” Yuri’s voice pulled him back. 
 
Eunhyuk turned back to look at her. 
 
After a second he said, “I think, I’ll find dinner on my own tonight, if you don’t mind.” 
 
“Oh…” Yuri tried to suppress her disappointment, “Alright, it’s fine.”
 
Eunhyuk nodded and started toward the door. 
 
“I’ll be back,” he promised. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Changmin turned to look at Yuri’s disheartened face and got up energetically. 
 
“There’s still me!” he shouted for her attention. “I’m hungry!” 
 
“Well of course you are,” Yuri turned to him. 
 
“I’ll go out and buy us some drinks!” he offered before walking out. 
 
For some reason, he allowed a sigh to leave him once the door left. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Yuri turned to Nana. 
 
“Just save some dinner for me,” Nana said, “I’m going to be out for a walk.” 
 
“Be careful,” Yuri cautioned. 
 
She watched as the girl put on her shoes and started out the door. It seemed like she was the only lonely one at the moment with no company. She turned to look at the stairs and felt deep admiration toward Donghae and Victoria. When would her other half approach her? 
 
/ / / / /
 
Nana stopped across from the soju tent and stared at it. Eunhyuk was visible from where he was sitting. Starting toward him she noticed that he was busying himself with a bowl of soup and a couple of drinks. 
 
Suddenly sitting across from him she looked at him, “You don’t mind if I join you, do you?” 
 
Eunhyuk glanced up at her. 
 
“Go ahead.”
 
“Ahjumma!” Nana turned around. “Can I get a bowl of soup?” 
 
She turned around to look at Eunhyuk. 
 
“I…didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I heard that you were heading back home,” Nana started. 
 
Eunhyuk didn’t say anything at first, but he put down his spoon and asked, “Where’s your family? Why are you out here alone?”
 
Surprised by his sudden question she hesitated to answer. Would he pity her if she told him? Would he think she was purposely seeking sympathy? 
 
“My parents…have been dead a long time, and…my brother just died recently,” Nana explained. 
 
If she pulled on a smile to comfort herself he might see her weakness. 
 
“I’m sorry to hear that.” 
 
Nana shrugged, “I’ll properly mourn for him after I get him the justice he deserves.” 
 
Eunhyuk suddenly silenced. The ahjumma walked over and set down her bowl of soup. Nana thanked her and picked up the spoon. 
 
“Does it hurt?” Eunhyuk wondered. 
 
She looked up at him.
 
“Your scrapes…” 
 
“Oh…it’s fine,” Nana replied, “they only hurt for a bit.” 
 
“It’ll scar if you don’t take good care of it,” he said. 
 
Was he worrying? 
 
“I know.” 
 
“I’m sorry,” Eunhyuk apologized, “I didn’t mean for you to fall that hard.” 
 
Some place in her heart starting aching. It felt like Eunhyuk had rubbed a wound he shouldn’t have. She was starting to miss Junsu more than usual. He would have bought her ice cream to make her feel better and he’d be attentive toward her till her wounds started disappearing. At that moment, she just wanted her brother back. The thought that she was the only sole survivor in her family now was starting to hit hard. 
 
“How old are you?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
Nana turned back to him realizing that she’d been staring into space. 
 
“Oh…20.”
 
“Can you drink?” he asked. 
 
Junsu would allow her to have a few every once in a while, but if he knew she were out drinking with some stranger he’d be angry. But then…he was no longer there…
 
“Yes.” 
 
She watched as Eunhyuk poured some soju into a cup and slid it over to her. 
 
“Just that much, ok?” he said. 
 
“Ok.” 
 
Nana took the cup and ran her hand along its side. 
 
“Donghae and Victoria also have no family,” Eunhyuk said, “except Donghae has an uncle and a few remaining relatives.”
 
Nana glanced at him. 
 
“Where’s your family?” she asked. 
 
“Incheon.” Eunhyuk answered. 
 
“But…you’re friends with Donghae and Victoria, right?” 
 
Eunhyuk quieted. 
 
“You all seem close,” Nana said. 
 
“Actually, I don’t know where I stand along the lines of friendship,” Eunhyuk sounded depressed and lost. “There are some things we’ve all avoided and sometimes it feels like we’ve drifted into awkwardness. I don’t know if this is what I’d call friendship.” 
 
“But Donghae told me, you’re the only person he trusts most,” Nana told unsure if she was stating facts or trying to make him feel better, “and it looks like you’re always there when they need you. I think…that’s very loyal of you.” 
 
Nana turned down to stare into her bowl of soup feeling sort of embarrassed. Suddenly gulping down the rest of the soup she gulped down the rest of the drink. 
 
“If,” she started, “you know, you need someone to talk to, and even though I’m a bit young, you can talk to me. Then…I’ll be going back first.” 
 
She bowed quickly and turned away. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“I’m back!” Changmin walked into the kitchen with a bag of a couple of drinks. 
 
“I thought you went to Mars or something,” Yuri sarcastically remarked turning to look at him. 
 
“Oh? Are we alone tonight?” Changmin asked looking around. 
 
“Nana’s out for a walk,” Yuri replied. 
 
“Then…it’s us two like always?” Changmin questioned sitting down. 
 
“I guess so.” 
 
Changmin glanced around quietly, “Do you want help?” 
 
“I got it,” Yuri replied without looking away from what she was doing. 
 
He stared at her and wanted her to look over at him, but Yuri didn’t seem to get his telepathic message. Getting up from his seat he walked toward the cupboard and pulled out a couple of plates then turned to see that Yuri was finishing up whatever she’d cooked. 
 
Changmin suddenly missed having the rest of the company around. If they were all there Yuri would boss him around and force him to do that and this with that loud voice of hers, but that night she wasn’t talking to him at all. 
 
“So…what’d you get?” Yuri asked halfway through the meal. 
 
Changmin took the bottle of soju out of the bag. 
 
“Just one bottle,” he told. 
 
Yuri got up and grabbed two cups. 
 
“Lets share.” 
 
“Alright!” Changmin shouted loudly. 
 
After he’d poured out the drink he watched as Yuri quickly doused the drink in one gulp. 
 
“Whoa…” he muttered, “what’s wrong with you? Why are you drinking so fast?” 
 
She set down the cup and Changmin continued staring at her concerned. 
 
“Changmin,” Yuri began. 
 
He was eager to hear what she had to say. 
 
“I think I’m attracted to him.” 
 
Something resounded from within him and he felt disappointed. 
 
“Is it because I’ve been making fun of you?” he asked. “You know I don’t mean it…” 
 
“No,” she shook her head, “I don’t usually listen to you.” 
 
She was right. She’d never let his words bother her. 
 
“Eunhyuk was supposed to head back home today,” Yuri explained, “so I confessed impulsively…” 
 
“Because you didn’t want him to go?” Changmin finished. 
 
Yuri ran a hand over her face, “I think I’ve made a fool of myself. How am I supposed to face him without feel awkward? What have I done? This isn’t like me.” 
 
“No, it’s not like you,” Changmin agreed a little sadly. 
 
Yuri…had never had a boyfriend before. She’d liked a few guys before but she’d never brought herself to confess to them and had always watched them walk off regretfully. Should he push her forward this one time? 
 
He didn’t know. 
 
Of course, it’d be good for her…but was he willing to do it?