Chapter 15

You Said Remember Me II

 

/ / / / /
 
Victoria awoke with fear choked up in . In her dream, Donghae was being dragged away by the gang members. She’d tried chasing after them, but the further she ran the further they were from her. 
 
The large square window to her right told her that the sun was setting and it must be evening. By now she would be setting the dinner table for Donghae’s uncle, then she’d clean up, take a shower, and wait for him to come home. When he did come home, she’d accompany him in the kitchen, watching as he ate his late night dinner. Then they’d go to sleep. She’d feel his warm breath land upon the side of her face even in her dreams. 
 
She couldn’t take it. The memories were all suffocating her. It suddenly felt like so much had happened the past week after Donghae had been announced dead. The feelings of how thankful and happy she’d felt when she found out he was really alive were indescribable. Her husband, her most loved person was still alive, and he’d be coming back to her…
 
But what if he went back home and she wasn’t there? The thought made her heart sink. How long would they have to be separated? But what if Donghae hadn’t gone back? Was he still out there somewhere? Running? Escaping? How would he seek shelter? Was he with Chief Kang? Or was he alone? Why did this have to happen to them? Why would the gang want to mess with Donghae? 
 
Victoria was puzzled, confused, and lost. How would she get back to him? 
 
Getting up from the couch she walked around a bit mindlessly before spotting the door leading to the backyard. Sliding the glass door to the side, she stepped out onto the deck and sat down allowing her legs to dangle down onto the grass.  
 
Tilting her head down she wondered if her uncle had contacted the cops. If Eunhyuk knew and how worried he might be. He was important to her. All her friends had died, everyone she loved died. Her parents first left, then her aunt, Han In Seol, Sandy and Il Chung, Seo In Ji. In fact, their deaths had traumatized her to a point where she even had problems with loneliness. When Donghae had left her, Eunhyuk had stepped up and always kept her company. It was impossible to feel lonely then, when she knew that Eunhyuk would be at her back. She was really thankful then and she had always been thankful to him. 
 
Whenever she was with Eunhyuk alone, she could still feel that Donghae always felt somewhat bothered by it. He didn’t fully express it when they first married, but as months passed by and Victoria still wanted to see Eunhyuk she could feel it then that Donghae disliked it. There hadn’t been any problems with the trust between them, it just had to do with the fact that while Donghae had been at Hee Sun’s side, Eunhyuk had been at hers. And while Hee Sun was no longer a part of their daily lives, Eunhyuk was. 
 
She appreciated Eunhyuk too much. Maybe the uneasiness Donghae had been feeling had been erupted by her actions. Had she really been too much just being friends with Eunhyuk? Eunhyuk wasn’t just her friend, but Donghae’s best friend as well. 
 
Victoria glanced down at the silver ring with the simple diamond she’d asked for sitting upon her finger. She missed her husband. Living that week without him had been completely awful. All she wanted now was just to have him back with her. 
 
She lowered her eyes to her belly where their baby was currently forming, coming to life. If Donghae knew, he’d be so happy that he’d immediately start setting up the baby room and shopping for baby supplies. She could see it all happen before her. A painful smile crossed her face. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Yuri unlocked the door and glanced at the shoes by the door. Victoria was there. A sigh of relief left her knowing that Victoria had stayed as she’d told her. Walking into the house she found no sign of a living person. Assuming on the spot that Changmin was sleeping she didn’t bother to even check on him. Walking further down the yellow hallway filled with the pictures of flowers she’d hung up when they moved in, she pushed open the last door to find an empty room. A bed with tan sheets was set against the wall. No sign of Victoria. 
 
Turning around she started back down the stairs and headed from the dining room with an oval table sitting in the center of the room to the kitchen. There she spotted Victoria sitting outside. She looked lonely sitting alone. Yuri recalled Victoria telling her that she missed her husband. Yes, she should miss him. It’d been a week since he’d been announced dead. Yuri could only imagine the feelings that Victoria must have had when she received the news. 
 
Stepping forward, Yuri walked through the door that had been left open she took a seat beside Victoria who turned abruptly surprised. 
 
“Sorry,” Yuri apologized. 
 
“Ah…it’s ok,” Victoria said. 
 
She was pretty and seemed pretty nice as well. 
 
“I honestly didn’t think you’d still be here,” Yuri told. “But I’m glad you didn’t leave yet.” 
 
Victoria turned to look at her. 
 
“I did my research today,” Yuri started off, “Ren Gei took the lives of many people around you. You must be terrified of him.” 
 
Victoria stared back at her silently. 
 
“Your husband, Lee Donghae, was a newbie detective in charge of your case,” Yuri went on, “you two must have gotten close during that period.” 
 
Victoria turned away from her to stare at the trees looming far ahead of them. 
 
“A lot of things happened,” was all she said looking away. 
 
“If he’s out there somewhere, where are you going to look for him?” asked Yuri. 
 
“Wherever,” Victoria replied, “I’m going to find him.”
 
Yuri smiled envious of her determination, envious of the feelings she had toward her husband. 
 
Then suddenly Victoria turned to her, “I think I can still remember the phone number he called me from. If I give it to you, can you check its location?” 
 
Yuri turned to her. 
 
“Its area code belongs to Seoul,” Victoria sounded excited all of a sudden, “he wasn’t in the city because his signal got cut off, so he must be somewhere, like in the woods or something. You can do it, right?” 
 
She seemed so enthusiastic that if Yuri denied her she’d feel bad, “I’ll try.” 
 
They were silent. 
 
“You can stay here with us here during the meantime,” Yuri stated, “as it might not be safe for you to start heading off on your own.”
 
“Why?” Victoria asked. 
 
“I’ll help you look for him,” Yuri added, “they’re still out there, the gang. There’s no wrong in assuming that they’re still looking for you. Until I find out who they are and why they want you, don’t leave my house.” 
 
Victoria’s eyebrow arched. She was going to refuse. 
 
“Is there anybody you want to call?” Yuri asked. “Your friends and family members must know that you’re missing by now, they’ll be worried.” 
 
“I don’t have a family,” Victoria’s voice dimmed, “but I have a friend and my husband’s uncle…” 
 
“Let them know you’re safe,” Yuri urged, “I can provide for you here. You can borrow a set of my clothes, but until we find your husband, don’t leave. Ok?” 
 
Victoria looked away as if she was feeling pressured by her words. 
 
“So this is where you two are,” a voice interrupted them. 
 
The two girls turned around surprised by Changmin’s sudden entrance. He stared back surprised. 
 
“Why? Did I scare you?” he asked. 
 
Yuri got up and turned to Victoria, “Victoria, right? I bet you’re hungry. I’ll cook something up for us.” 
 
Yuri pushed Changmin aside and stepped into the kitchen. 
 
/ / / / /
 
The two sat under a dimly lit light bulb. In fact, the restaurant was dim throughout. It wasn’t what he’d expected when he’d the structure of the building from outside. A building that represented ancient European times…well the restaurant seemed to resemble that. 
 
The velvet carpet seemed soft underneath his shoes, but red underneath the rays of the dim lights. And the circular table they were sitting at had a very rough exterior that leaning his elbows onto the table hurt. There was a bar at the center of the floor not too far away from them and most of the chatter and racket forming into chaotic noises were created by the men and women drinking. Their loud laughter and hands slamming onto the counter were somewhat disturbing. It distracted him from quietly thinking. 
 
Their waiter returned with their food and Donghae hungrily snatched his dish of pasta. It was delicious. The best food he’d had since being imprisoned but it still didn’t beat Victoria’s cooking, which he loved best. Again, his thoughts were distracted when loud cheering and shouts came from the bar at the center of the room. Why hadn’t the designers of the restaurant placed the bar elsewhere? Like the other side of the room? 
 
Donghae looked up to see a young gal with long hair strutting toward the many men waving their arms at her. She was wearing a classy tight skin wrapping suit and killer heels. He immediately categorized her as one of those performers at night clubs he and Eunhyuk had often gone to when he was younger. 
 
“Yang Hye Su! Get your over here! Birthday boy’s waiting!” another younger gal called out. 
 
Donghae’s head immediately turned back toward the bar. 
 
“Yang Hye Su?” he repeated quietly with a light frown.    
 
Nana turned to look at him. 
 
“Yang Hye Su?” she repeated. “Do you know her?” 
 
The name sounded very familiar. Turning his head to the side he rummaged his memory for the answer. After a minute he felt like clapping his hands in celebration. Yang Hye Su had been on the list Chief Kang had handed him a week back. He’d been in charge of investigating the friends and people of Nana and her brother, Im Junsu. She’d been the last girl seen with him. Just how coincidental. 
 
“Do you know of any girls who were close to your brother?” Dongahe asked her. 
 
“What?” 
 
“Any girlfriends? Maybe he was in a relationship.” 
 
“My brother didn’t date,” Nana replied almost coldly, “he didn’t have time.” 
 
“Are you sure?” Donghae questioned suspicious of her. 
 
Nana stared back silently. Donghae turned back toward the bar and wondered if it’d be alright for him to break up the party between the young’uns. College students, the people at the bar were college students probably out on a drinking spree. However, he decided not to. It’d be awkward if he just walked up to them and barged in on their small party. Maybe he’d wait till she left or something in order to question her. There were probably dozens of Yang Hye Su’s out there and he needed to make sure that she was the one on the list. 
 
“I’m going to the bathroom. Don’t leave,” Donghae told leaving his seat. 
 
/ / / / /
 
When Donghae left the table Nana turned back to look at the glamorous woman sitting on the stool enjoying the attention given to her. Nana tilted her head up and stared. Her brother never shared his personal life, but only his work with her. Junsu had in fact been seeing someone, she knew that for sure, however she never knew who this woman was. She’d heard gossip from Kikwang, though, that a woman dropped by often and her brother would leave with her. Donghae’s question had just confirmed that this woman, Yang Hye Su, knew her brother. 
 
Getting up from her seat she started toward the bar. Its shiny black countertop gleamed underneath the dim light and the others quieted when they saw her approach. Some men cooed, she ignored them, others whispered, she also ignored them. The short haired woman accompanying Yang Hye Su turned. Her v-neck shirt was hanging so low that her s could be seen. Nana found it shameful, but kept the comment to herself. She had only reason to be there. 
 
Yang Hye Su remained focused on playing with the ice cubes in her drink and didn’t bother to turn around. Nana continued staring. 
 
“Yah…who’s this?” the short haired woman with the v-neck muttered unsatisfied with Nana’s presence. 
 
“We got a voluntary chick for you tonight, bruh!” some buzzed bastard shouted. 
 
Nana narrowed her eyes. Why wasn’t Yang Hye Su turning around? 
 
Gripping onto the strap of her tote bag she asked, “Im Junsu.” 
 
Yang Hye Su tilted her head up from the counter and stared at what seemed to be like the bartender drying some cups ahead of her. 
 
“Did you know he’s dead?” Nana’s voiced dried up coldly. 
 
Yang Hye Su finally turned around, “Excuse me? Do I know you?” 
 
Nana stared, “If you had manners, you’d step down to talk with me.” 
 
The woman snorted then stepped down from the stool. 
 
“And? Who are you?” 
 
“His sister,” Nana replied.
 
Yang Hye Su turned away and rolled her eyes, “You look underage. Why are you here? To protect your lovely brother? Aww…how cute.” 
 
“Why did you visit him? Who are you to him? Do you have something to do with his death?” 
 
“Kid, why are you here?” one of the men questioned. 
 
Yang Hye Su snorted again, “Im Junsu, right? Your brother? That jerk? He fagged on me first, why are you even here when you should be mourning for his death in your black clothes?” 
 
Nana grabbed her skin tight fitting outfit and pushed her into the counter. 
 
“What did you call him?” Nana asked angrily. “Take it back! Take it back!”
 
“Yah! This girl’s crazy! Take her out!” the short haired female friend called. 
 
“What are you doing? Stop it!” 
 
Everyone turned back to see someone walking toward them. 
 
“Get your hands off her,” Lee Donghae demanded. 
 
Yang Hye Su rolled her eyes again and bit her bottom lip as if to restrain herself from lashing out at Nana who reluctantly released her. 
 
“Oooh…he’s handsome,” the short haired friend commented from the side. 
 
Donghae ignored her, “Yang Hye Su?” 
 
“Who are you?” the woman asked. 
 
Donghae flashed his ID, “I need to speak with you regarding Im Junsu’s death.”