Chapter 37

You Said Remember Me II

 

Setting the picture down, Changmin walked out of his room and strolled down the hallway. He stopped by Yuri’s room and found her lying on the bed with a weekly magazine sitting on her face. Amused by the sight he walked in and pressed down onto the magazine lightly. Yuri flailed her arms around with a scream before he loosened his hold. 
 
“Yah!” she screamed sitting up and tossed the magazine aside. “What are you, trying to kill me?!” 
 
“Cool down,” Changmin gestured with both hands, “and just what are you doing? Is the new way to relax now?” 
 
Yuri made a face at him. 
 
“What?” he asked. 
 
“Nothing.” she replied. “What do you want?” 
 
He shrugged, “Nothing, really. I was just…you know, a little bored.” 
 
Yuri frowned at him suspicious. 
 
“Seriously,” he nodded his head. 
 
Yuri mumbled something and got up. He followed her out into the hallway and came to a stop when she did. Eunhyuk had just arrived at the top of the stairs. He looked over with a small smile and Changmin wondered if Yuri was smiling in return. 
 
“Did you and Lee Donghae just get back?” Yuri asked. 
 
Eunhyuk nodded, “I’m going back home tomorrow.” 
 
“Tomorrow?” Yuri repeated. 
 
Why? Was she disappointed? Changmin glanced down at her. 
 
Eunhyuk nodded, “Just wanted to say thank you for letting me stay and for welcoming me back when I returned so suddenly.”
 
“Oh…” was all Yuri could make out. 
 
Eunhyuk nodded again and walked into his room gently closing his door. Changmin watched as Yuri turned to stare at the closed door and wondered what Yuri was suddenly feeling. He’d only been teasing her about Eunhyuk because since his arrival that was the only fun he’d had with her. He hadn’t really intended for Yuri to fall for him. What if Yuri really liked him? 
 
/ / / / /
 
Donghae walked into the room that night to find Victoria lying on her side. Eunhyuk seemed to know her so well that it made him feel incompetent. Was he lacking as a husband? 
 
Crawling into bed he lay quietly staring up at the ceiling focusing on his breathing. Things hadn’t really been simple at all when he and Victoria had gotten married. Maybe it really was his job that was intruding upon his life. Would it have been better if he’d found a quiet job as a stationary clerk at the police station? But he didn’t like remaining still looking over papers and serving people who came in for help. He wanted to get out there and do something. 
 
With a turn of his head he wondered if Victoria was really asleep. If she was, what was she dreaming about? Or was she having no dream at all? 
 
Feeling uncertain about everything he also to his side and tried to sleep. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Yuri was sitting on the bed blankly staring into the magazine propped up between her belly and her legs when the bathroom door opened. Nana stepped out calmly and started for the bed. Yuri turned to look at her and set the magazine aside. 
 
“Do your wounds hurt?” Yuri asked. 
 
“Ah…” Nana reached a hand up to touch the band-aid plastered to her forehead. “No, it’s fine.” 
 
“I didn’t ask earlier, but how did you get them?” 
 
Nana swerved her eyes aside before saying, “I fell.” 
 
Did she really? Yuri really wanted to ask that but thought that it’d be rude to do so. Was she protecting the person who hurt her? Or was she keeping something else a secret? 
 
“Eunhyuk…” the name startled Yuri. “What kind of person is he?” 
 
Yuri’s eyes landed on the girl’s face. Why? She wanted to ask. Why did she want to know? Why was she even curious? 
 
“He’s kind, very thoughtful, and full of charm you’d never think he has until you start talking to him,” Yuri said. “There’s something very warm and comforting about him that makes you feel like being a good person too. Eunhyuk is like that.” 
 
Silence buzzed the room. Suddenly recalling that there’d been a question Yuri turned to look at Nana who was staring at her. 
 
Nana quickly turned away and lay down on her side with her back facing Yuri. 
 
“I’m going to sleep,” Nana said. 
 
Yuri reached her hand out to turn off the lamp and sat in the darkness. She didn’t Eunhyuk to leave just yet. She really wanted to get to know him better. 
 
/ / / / /
 
Victoria to her side and felt something warm. Opening her eyes she found herself leaning against Donghae’s back. The room was full of sunlight but Victoria didn’t want to get up yet. Inching her arms around him she dug her face into his back and wanted to return to sleep. 
 
“What are you doing?” a sleepy Donghae asked. 
 
“Sleeping,” Victoria replied. 
 
He grabbed her hand and turned to face her. 
 
Giving her a peck on the lips he said, “It’s morning.” 
 
“So?” 
 
“We should get up.” 
 
“You’re enthusiastic for once.” 
 
He smiled as he pushed aside her bangs and gave her another peck on the forehead. Victoria ran a hand up his forehead and into his hair.
 
“I suddenly want to eat some sushi, should we go get some?” she asked. 
 
“You don’t normally eat sushi.” he stated. 
 
“I know, but I want some today.” she told. 
 
“Ok.” 
 
/ / / / /
 
Changmin quietly glanced at Yuri who was busy behind the counter. Was there something he was missing? 
 
Yuri stopped at what she was doing and glanced at him, “What?” 
 
“Nothing.” Changmin replied. 
 
“Then why are you staring.”
 
“I’m not.” Changmin averted his eyes elsewhere. 
 
Yuri shook her head and continued at what she was doing. When he was sure that she wasn’t paying him any more attention he turned back to look at her. Did Yuri really like Eunhyuk? Had he caused her feelings to go haywire with his teasing?
 
/ / / / /
 
Breakfast wasn’t as appetizing as it usually was. Yuri slowly ate her food without any will and found the others almost happily chattering away except for Nana and Eunhyuk. 
 
When the house cleared up with Changmin leaving for work, Donghae and Victoria headed for the mart, and Nana upstairs, Yuri busied herself in the kitchen with dishes. She’d call it a late morning to go into work and found no problem with that. 
 
Eunhyuk had just piled up the last of the dishes onto the counter beside the sink and as he walked away Yuri turned to watch him. 
 
She really wanted to continue talking to him. She wanted to go shopping with him some more and dig out the real person he was from within. She wanted to be able to make a difference in his life. 
 
“Eunhyuk,” Yuri called out just before he was able to step out of the kitchen. 
 
He stopped and turned his head around. 
 
“Would it hurt…to stay?” Yuri questioned. 
 
Eunhyuk stared at her before shifting his whole body around. Had he sensed something else from her as she wanted him to? 
 
“I mean…I don’t even know why you want to leave.” Yuri said. 
 
He still didn’t say anything. 
 
“It’s not because of Victoria, is it?” 
 
If that was the real answer, Eunhyuk did a real good job with keeping a poker face. 
 
“I’ve been meaning to ask but I’ve been wanting to think that you’re really just a friend…” Yuri tried to piece out the words in her mind out perfectly, “I know you want to protect her, but don’t you think you overstep the lines sometimes?” 
 
Eunhyuk still didn’t say anything. He was doing a real good job holding everything back. 
 
“You don’t like Victoria, do you?” Yuri forced the question out. 
 
“Yuri.” Eunhyuk finally said. 
 
She closed her eyes suddenly ashamed of herself. 
 
“I’m sorry,” Yuri quickly apologized. 
 
“Yuri,” he started again. 
 
“You don’t have to leave, do you? I mean, it’s not required of you,” Yuri helplessly went on.
 
“Why are you saying these things?” he asked. 
 
Yuri stopped, let out a loud sigh, and wondered to herself what she was really doing. The Yuri she knew never did such things so impulsively.
 
Calming down she said, “I know I haven’t known you for long and we barely know each other, but I think I like you. So, don’t go back home just yet.” 
 
He opened his mouth as if to say something but nothing came out. 
 
“I’m sorry,” Yuri quickly apologized before suddenly running past him and up the stairs. 
 
Standing in her room, Yuri hoped she hadn’t just made an awful fool of herself. Eunhyuk should try to understand her too, shouldn’t he? She let out a long sigh grabbed her keys and bag. Running down the stairs she paused at the bottom and turned to see Eunhyuk starting on the dishes she’d forgotten all about. 
 
It had to be ok. Everything just had to be ok. Without further thought she walked the toward the door and headed out. 
 
“Oh ho! Look who’s in today?” the cops greeted as she walked in. 
 
“Someone skipped out on work yesterday without even calling in.” 
 
“Sherriff Kwon!” a man ran up to her with a deep bow. “The Chief is in your office waiting for you.” 
 
Yuri nodded and stopped in front of her door. Whether it was a beating or a scolding it probably wasn’t as bad as her bad confession that morning. Oh well, whatever it was she was sure she’d survive it. 
 
Pushing open the door she spotted the Chief sitting on her sofa to the left in a very relaxed manner. 
 
“I heard you wanted to see me,” Yuri said closing the door behind her. 
 
“Where were you yesterday?” the Chief questioned. 
 
“I had personal issues to deal with.” 
 
“So you called off work without letting anyone know?” he seemed to be growling. 
 
“If you let me expl…” 
 
“What is it this time? You have a man in your house and you’re dealing with his affairs?” the Chief sarcastically asked. 
 
It wasn’t funny no matter how many times she tried to envision the situation from every angle. So she stared at the boss without expression. She’d probably just entertain him if she fought back. 
 
“There was a homicide yesterday, where were you when we needed you? What about the people you’re supposed to be keeping safe! What about the citizens of this city!” her boss suddenly shouted. 
 
Yuri was quite taken aback by his attitude. 
 
“Homicide?” Yuri questioned. 
 
“I was going to talk with you about it, but it seems I don’t have enough patience to even be in the same room with you!” he slammed a manila folder down onto the coffee table and got up. 
 
Once the door slammed behind her Yuri picked up the file and glanced through it. She first grabbed the pictures of a bearded man lying on the ground with thick blood seeping through his abdomen. It looked like he’d been stabbed multiple times. 
 

***Yuri may say it like that, but how does she really feel towards Eunhyuk? 
 
***Ooohooo~ The bearded man was killed, remember the bearded man? This may perhaps just pull in Eunhyuk and Nana into trouble. ;D