Chapter 20

You Said Remember Me II

 

“Who?” Victoria managed after a moment. 
 
“I looked a little into her background,” Yuri said, “her parents died when she was young so she grew up with her older brother. She just recently graduated from high school. You really don’t know her?” 
 
“Why would she be with Donghae?” was all Victoria could ask. 
 
Yuri inched back unsure of how to react. 
 
A knock on the glass door made the two of them turn. Changmin slid the door aside and poked his head through. 
 
“Phone call for you,” he looked at Victoria. “It’s most likely your friend from earlier.” 
 
Getting up to her feet immediately Victoria walked toward the phone glad to hear Eunhyuk’s voice on the other end. 
 
“Where are you at?” Eunhyuk asked. “I’m in Osan.”
 
Victoria closed her eyes shut before giving him the address. After she hung up, Yuri and Changmin walked into the room. 
 
“Your friend?” Yuri questioned. 
 
Pressing her lips together, Victoria turned around and nodded, “I want to leave with him when he comes.” 
 
A sudden need to get out and start looking for Donghae with her own feet forced her to make the quick decision.
 
“Would it be ok for you?” Yuri asked worried. “It’s not totally safe out there.” 
 
“I know,” Victoria acknowledged the fact, but what could be more important than her husband at the moment?
 
“Where are you going to go after this?” asked Changmin. 
 
“I want to look for my husband.” 
 
“You should just head back home,” Yuri cut in. “It’s not safe, Victoria, considering how big those men are compared to you.”
 
Victoria stared at the two of them feeling pinned in the middle with no way out. 
 
“You and your friend could stay here,” Yuri suddenly offered, “I can also help you search. I’m more able to help you at this point than anyone else.” 
 
Victoria turned away from them. Their faces, the look in their eyes were pressuring her  to stay. Of course she knew it was reckless to just head out without knowing where to start nor finding out more about the gang that were after her, but knowing that Donghae had company wasn’t news that soothed her. It told her that there was more to the bombing incident than she knew. 
 
The ringing of the doorbell split up the silence as they turned toward the door. Victoria assumed that Eunhyuk must have been nearby when he made the call. 
 
“I’ll get it,” Yuri offered when Victoria took a step forward. 
 
With no choice but to briefly pause, Victoria watched as Yuri unlocked and opened the door. 
 
/ / / / /
 
He was growing anxious, impatient, and overwhelm with all other feelings as he waited for someone to open the door. When it did Eunhyuk and Yuri glanced into each other’s faces without comment or movement. It was as if two aliens from different dimensions had suddenly crossed over into each other’s world. The moment died when Eunhyuk turned to see Victoria standing in the living room watching. 
 
As if catching his line of attention Yuri moved aside and made room for him to enter. Walking over to Victoria he grabbed her shoulders concerned and looked her over. 
 
“Are you ok? You’re not hurt? Are you feeling well?” he questioned. 
 
Victoria glanced at him with a bizarre expression, “I’m fine.” 
 
Releasing her he said, “Lets go, I’ll take you back home.” 
 
He turned around to thank the two that had kept her company the past couple days, but Victoria suddenly grabbed his arm pulling him back. 
 
“Eunhyuk, I’m not going home.” 
 
“What?” was the only word that flew through his mind. “You’re not returning home? Do you know how worried we all are about you? Donghae’s uncle can’t even sleep or eat properly.” 
 
“I need to find Donghae first,” Victoria seemed to plead. “I can’t return home without him.” 
 
“Victoria,” he placed an assuring hand on her shoulder, “Chief Kang has returned. He’s already started a search rescue for Donghae.”
 
The expression on Victoria’s face showed him no good news because he’d just verified the fact that Donghae really was alone with a girl. 
 
Victoria stared at him for a long moment and said quietly, so despairingly, “What if I go back and wait and wait and wait for a long time, but Donghae doesn’t come back? What if he’s somewhere nearby and I could have found him, but didn’t?” 
 
“You’re thinking too much,” Eunhyuk shook his head, “there’s no way Donghae wouldn’t come back for you because he definitely would.”
 
“I can’t, Eunhyuk, I want to look for him. I can’t rest my mind at peace when he’s out there…possibly being hunted down,” Victoria said, “if you want me to go back without Donghae…I can’t. I just can’t.” 
 
Eunhyuk sighed, frustrated all of a sudden. 
 
“Can I talk to Victoria alone for a moment?” Eunhyuk turned back to find the two strangers standing far from them. 
 
The woman who had opened the door for him immediately nodded, “Take your time. Changmin and I will be in the kitchen.” 
 
When the two disappeared Eunhyuk turned back to Victoria who suddenly seemed so small in front of him. How much he wanted to comfort her with a small hug just to let her know that she wasn’t alone, to tell her that he was sorry she had to go through all she did. But he didn’t know if it was alright to do it or not. Instead he gently gripped her arm. 
 
“I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I should have come anyway that night. You must have been scared. They didn’t hurt you, did they?” 
 
“No, I got away just fine,” Victoria replied with a small smile. 
 
“Victoria,” Eunhyuk suddenly changed the tone in his voice, “you were the only one in the house that night, right?” 
 
She looked at him as if he was hinting about something she hadn’t done. It made her nervous.
 
“Donghae’s uncle found a pregnancy tester when he returned,” Eunhyuk told. “You’re pregnant, right?” 
 
The width of her eyes told him so. 
 
“Victoria,” he said again, “you can’t keep putting yourself out there, it’s not good for you. What if something happens? What about the baby?”
 
He felt shocked momentarily when Victoria grasped his shirt and tilted her head down. 
 
“I don’t want go home without Donghae,” she quietly muttered, “I want us to return as a family.”
 
/ / / / /
 
As the two young adults slept on the floor tiredly, Donghae found himself sitting against the wall facing the darkness that was so warmly welcoming him that night. It was 11 in and he and Victoria would be sleeping quietly. When either one of them would have a bad dream they’d end up cuddling against the other for some warmth. On some nights he’d wake up and talk to a terrified Victoria until she calmed down and fell asleep. 
 
The yearning to hold her in his arms tightly was so strong, yet she wasn’t there. Taking his wallet out he flipped it open to stare at the picture of him and Victoria posing together on their wedding day. It was impossible to describe the words of happiness he’d felt when he knew that Victoria had finally became his. 
 
Yet, it was such a disappointing, sad thought that all he had at the moment was just a picture and memories of live on. He couldn’t wait till the day when he’d reunite with her again. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“When I can get a apartment, Victoria and I will leave,” Eunhyuk explained. “So, just for a few days we’ll stay. I hope you don’t mind my intruding.” 
 
“It’s quite ok, don’t worry. We have enough rooms,” Yuri smiled. “Changmin will go prepare your room. If you want to have a change of clothes Changmin has plenty he can lend you. He’s a neat freak so don’t worry about him being dirty or anything.” 
 
Victoria laughed at her small joke while Changmin made faces at the side. After they settled in a bit, Victoria took a short shower and changed into her set of pajamas. Sitting on the edge of the bed she felt more content now that Eunhyuk was nearby. It would have been the perfect picture if Donghae were there with them. 
 
/ / / / /
 
“Why are you bothering me again?!” Changmin scolded when Yuri pushed his bedroom door open and walked in. 
 
“You didn’t get him the set of pajamas I told you to, did you?” she asked immediately walking over to his dresser and pulled out a drawer. 
 
“He said he didn’t want one,” Changmin uselessly fought back tossing his bed cover aside and started toward her. 
 
“Even if a guest says so, you must still do it. Do you expect him to be comfortable sleeping in the clothes he’s been wearing all day?” Yuri spat back. 
 
Changmin snarled at her, “You’re so sassy! Why do you care so much? If he wanted a pair of clothes to change into he would’ve said something.” 
 
“Move away!” Yuri pushed him to the side and dug into his drawer with her arms. 
 
“You move!” he shoved her to the side and shut the drawer then pulled open the top one. “Here!” 
 
He shoved a pair of clean pajamas into her arms. 
 
“You just watch it next time,” Yuri threatened with her fist before walking out. 
 
Heading down the hall she knocked on Eunhyuk’s opened door and watched as he turned around from the window. 
 
“I brought you some pajamas to change into,” she told holding them out for him to see. 
 
“It’s ok, I already said I didn’t want any,” Eunhyuk replied from where he stood. 
 
Yuri wasn’t content with just leaving, so she set them on the bed. 
 
“Well, if you feel like changing later I’ll leave them here,” she said leaving them on the bed. 
 
Yuri turned around ready to leave, but the sound of Eunhyuk’s voice stopped her. 
 
“Has Victoria been doing ok?” Eunhyuk asked. “I mean…as in her health and emotional condition overall…” 
 
Yuri tilted her eyebrow curious about why he’d ask such a question and especially about Victoria’s health. She seemed quite fine when Changmin had brought her in and very emotionally stable as well. So why would Eunhyuk ask about her health? 
 
“Victoria’s been fine,” Yuri answered, “there hasn’t been anything wrong.” 
 
Eunhyuk nodded, “Thanks again…for letting her stay. I’m glad she had some company instead of being out here by herself.” 
 
There was something about the way he’d sentenced it that made the corner of her lips curve up into a smile. 
 
“No problem, don’t even mention it,” Yuri said, “I’ve kind of enjoyed her presence too. Make yourself at home, don’t be shy if you need anything. If you feel awkward with me, Changmin’s in the next room.” 
 
Eunhyuk nodded again. 
 
Yuri hesitated to say it, but she forced the words out anyway, “Good night.” 

***Sorry for the slow update :/ I've been super busy lately and my poli sci class is taking up a lot of my time, but I must do well this semester. I'll update again as soon as possible :)