Chapter 37

Life is unexpected

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This colour indicates that the conversations are in Mandarin. This colour is in English. Black coloured are in Korean.

 


 

THURSDAY, NIGHT – JOO HYUN’S HOUSE

 After she had finished up her homework, she lied on her bed while hugging her teddy.

 

It’s only 11.30 pm, should I read a novel before sleep?

 

She took out an English novel that she bought recently, which entitled ‘Thirteen reasons why’ that was written by Jay Asher, from her side table drawer.  Instead of getting drown to sleep; she became wide awake from reading it.

 

My gosh, it feels as if I’m Clay Jensen and it is as if I’m listening to the tape from Hannah. The way the writer wrote this can makes me imagine the scene that’s going on. Don’t tell me Clay is one of the reasons she did suicide, that’s too sad. Clay loves her.

 

Her attention on the book was distracted from the sound of her phone ringing.

 

What??? Video call? Why is he doing video call out of blue??

 

Joo Hyun automatically sat down on her bed and fixed her hair before she swiped the phone screen to accept the call.

“H-Hi---“

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Hyunnie, happy birthday to you,”

“Y-Yixing,” Joo Hyun looked as if she saw a ghost.

“What’s with the expression? Are you not happy that I wished your birthday?”

“How-- Why-- I mean, you still remember my birthday?” she bit her lower lips with teary eyes – touched.

“Of course I do. I hope that you’ll be successful and happy always,” Yixing smiled, making his deep dimple visible.

“T-Thank you Oppa. Thank you for this, a lot,”

“Heyy, I didn’t call to see you cry, okay? Sshh, wiped off the tears,” Joo Hyun wiped off the tears before she smiled.

“I-I’m just too happy and touched that you still remember my birthday,”

“It’s nothing. So, how’s school?”

 

 What am I doing? Talking casually with her like this, as if I don’t love her anymore, when I actually do.

 

“Everything’s fine. How about you?”

“Same here,” there was silence for a few seconds, both were out of words.

“H-Hyun, w-what if I say that I can’t get over of that feeling?” Joo Hyun bit her lower lip again, not sure what to answer.

“I-I’m not trying to make things hard for us. I’m trying, really,”

“Y-Yixing, listen. I know it’s hard, I know. But I know this too, that you’ll find someone way better than me, trust me,” Yixing nodded reluctantly.

“Okay okay, I’m not calling to talk about emotional things, I’m calling for your birthday,” Yixing immediately flashed a bright smile at Joo Hyun and she smiled too while giving small nods.

“So, what present would you want from me?” I want you to stop loving me and find someone better, Oppa.

“A car,” Joo Hyun then laughed at the shocked reaction from Yixing,

“A car?”

“No no no, I’m just kidding. Hmm, what I want is, having you as my friend forever. It’s more than enough,” Yixing smiled warmly upon hearing that.

 

 Still the same Joo Hyun, wanting the same thing from me for her birthday present over and over again. Except that before, she said together about us being together forever too.

 

“Aren’t you tired from asking the same thing for every birthday present from me?” Joo Hyun shook her head a few times.

“Okay then. Well Hyunnie, it’s getting late already, so I guess I have to end the call,”

“Okay. Good night and sweet dreams Yixing. Thanks again for wishing my birthday,”

“You are welcome. Good night and sweet dreams too, take care,”

“Take care too and don’t overwork,” both them waved at each other before turning off the video call.

 

FRIDAY – MORNING

Joo Hyun grabbed a toast as she sat down while her mom poured tea into a cup for Joo Hyun. She looked through her Biology notes while eating to occupy the time.

“Omma, where’s Dae Hyun? It’s 7.35 already,”

“Not sure. Wait, I think he hasn’t wake up yet. Hyun, wake him up, quick!” her mom urged her to go upstairs. She hissed in frustration before she walked towards Dae Hyun’s room.

“Oh damn, why he locked the door?! Dae-ah! Wake up! It’s late already! Yaa!” Joo Hyun constantly knocked the door hard while calling his brother right in front of the bedroom door.

“Omo! I’m late!”

“Urgghh! What on earth were you doing last night that you woke up this late?!”

“Mianhe, I was doing my assignments last night!” Dae Hyun shouted back at Joo Hyun, who still standing in front of the door.

“Noona, you go to school first! We’ll just meet up at school,”

“Aishh this kid. Arasseo, don’t be too late! If not, you’ll be in detention,” she then walked downstairs again,

“Oh Omma, did Suho came already?”

“Eo? I thought you’ll wait for Dae Hyun, I told him to go first,” her mom talked while pointing her finger towards the front door, as if she was pointing at Suho.

“Geurae? It’s okay then, I’ll just go by myself. Bye Omma,”

 

Assa! First plan, success! Mianhe Noona, I’ve woke up already when you come just now. I guess I could be an actor someday, well, Noona fell for my acting. Kekeke

 

AT SCHOOL

“Let’s go,” Kyung Soo nodded and walked side by side with Joo Hyun towards the café. After they settled down, they talked about a few stuffs on school but they don’t really talk that much as they don’t really have any specific topics to talk about.

“Hyunnie, mianhe, I’m late. I need to help my teacher with few things just now,” just as he sat, he took a bite of his bread.

“It’s okay. That’s inevitable though,” 

 

Uh-huh, you didn’t wish me for my birthday yet, Kim Joon Myeon. Seriously, this is disappointing. Heol, daedanhae~

 

“Anyway, I can’t go home together with you today. Miahne!” Suho clasped his hands together and raised it up to his forehead while he bowed his head a bit, as if seeking forgiveness.

“I haven’t finished up the stuffs that I did with my teacher just now, so, I need to stay back. Mianhe, jinjjareul!” Joo Hyun listened without interest while eating the cupcake. She just gave a little nod as a response.

 

Aishh, I don’t care anymore. I don’t want to talk to you. How could he forget my birthday??????!! And he said I’m his precious little sister??

 

Finished eating, they went back to their classroom. The thing that her mom, her brother and Suho forgot her birthday made her upset for the whole day. Even when she got home, she went directly towards her bedroom and locked herself in there. She just stayed in there and watched movies using her laptop with her headphones on, not even care that the bright sky turned dark already.

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE 

Olla! I'm not that free though, but I feel like updating, so, here it is! Hyunnie is mad huh? What happen next?