Review: charmingusta

♦ Memories | Somnium Review Shop Archive
 
 
 
 
REVIEW
 


BEYOND THE BLANK
- by charmingusta

reviewer: DobuOnew

 + REVIEW                                                                                                                                                               

 TITLE 1/5: Well, in terms of aesthetics, the title it’s not too long, it’s quite unique and it’s attractive. However, I do not see in which it can be related to the story. Except for the reference of starting all over again, which can be seen as a blank page, I don’t see anything that actually can relate.

FOREWORD + DESCRIPTION 5/10: The description is not bad. It has this feeling which can attract the reader’s curiosity. However is not strong and It also doesn’t reveal much of the story, which is good.
I think you could have put an author’s note/commentary in the foreword, telling what made you write the story or something similar. Also, an excerpt of the story would be perfect, as it can feed the reader’s curiosity and make him/her want to read more.

♥ STYLE + DESIGN 2/5In this section, the poster and the background are judge and since you don’t have, I can’t judge them. For the design I can only judge the font and some other things. So, talking about the font, it has a good size and the type is good. The colors you use don’t hurt the readers’ eyes and it is always the same color.
Relatively to the style I think the present sentence is quite difficult to write with. However, I think you did well in general. Apart from the long spaces between paragraphs, which sometimes break the reasoning while reading, there’s nothing I want to point out in this section anymore..

♥ PLOT 10/30To be honest, there isn’t much of a plot. It’s only about two people who experience a heart break and they end up meeting each other. With the meeting possibly being the start of a friendship or more, the story ends there.
I wish you could have gone deeper in the plot, in the happenings, in the details. But again, it’s a drabble.

♥ CHARACTERIZATION 5/15: You didn’t go much through the characters personalities. What I can take out from what I read, is that Jong In and Se Hun are two people with a broken heart; Se Hun drowns his sorrows with Soju; Jong In is kind enough to not leave people behind and that’s pretty much it.

♥ GRAMMAR + SPELLING 11/20: Well, I actually didn’t see any serious spelling mistakes, or I hardly saw any.
There are some other things I want to point out though. When you want to give extra information when speaking, you usually give it between commas and not hyphens. It may have that same task as the commas, but it’s not commonly used.
I’ve noticed that there are some commas missing here and there, making the sentences bigger, which can break the line of reasoning. There’s an example:
“Seeing how the words are falling from Luhan’s mouth (…) will come next in the nearest future.”
This sentence needs to be divided in two. I’ve noticed some other examples, in which you need to put full stops instead of commas. That will make you change the words in some sentences to make it have logic.
Another thing is that you always have to use quotation marks, when someone speaks. That doesn’t happen right in the first sentence, after the plus symbol. Maybe it was because you were distracted, as all the other speeches have quotation marks.
I wanted to point out the capitalization of words to emphasize an emotion. You don’t need to capitalize to make it angrier or anything like that. You just have to describe the situation so the reader can feel the character’s fury, or if the character’s speaking loud …

 FLOW 4/10: I know it’s supposed to be a drabble and a drabble is short, which means that everything just happens in a “short period of time”, however, I cannot give you high points as the fast development just weakens the essence of a good story.


♥ OVERALL ENJOYMENT 2/5: Because it’s a drabble, I’m sure it’s natural for the development to be fast. However, it’s hard to judge a drabble as everything just happens quickly, and we don’t have much details on the characters, the plot and on the story’s development itself. All together just weakens the opinion about the story, because we’re not able to enjoy it well.


♥ OVERALL SCORE 40/100

 

a/n: I hope my review was useful and that you liked it. Don’t be disheartened by the result. With mistakes we learn, and you need only to improve. I tried my best to advise you in the best way I can, with all my knowledge of English. If you did like my review, I hope you can request again in the future. I would be more than glad to review one of your works again. Thank you for requesting at our shop and keep up with spreading the love towards our k-pop idols through writing! Please don’t forget to read the reminder. Fighting! 





 + REMINDER                                  


01. Don't forget to comment after picking up the review
02. Also follow at the rules of somnium review shop
03. Do comeback again ;)

layout by xxesmeeee - ramyunsoup