Seohyun's Side Story - Salty Coffee

An Extraordinary Journey Of Light

Seohyun confessed her feelings towards Yukiya, but it seems that she just get a heartbreaking answer. What's Yukiya's motive to reject Seohyun? Is it only because he doesn't love her too? Find out an extraordinary side story of Seohyun's past! 

 

Seohyun' POV 

 

"I'm sorry Seohyun, I  can't. I like you, but only as a friend, no more, no less. I'm so sorry"

 

"I know, a girl like me isn't your type right?" I fake a smile.

 

"No, it's nothing like that, I'm grateful that someone as kind as you like a person like me, really. But you're suppose to get somebody better, there is someone better than me I'm sure, I don't think I'm good enough for you, besides..." 

 

"Stop there, please" I don't want to hear what he says, the point is he rejects me.Tears flow on my cheeks, my heart was crushed, I know I don't have any power to change this cruel reality, but I can't help but to cry.

 

"Seohyun, are you okay? You're crying, please don't cry, not for me....I'm so sorry" he holds me and apologizes, he feels bad for making me cry although it's not his fault, that's why I love him. Maybe this is the consequence for replacing Jonghwa as him. Destiny may prevent me from making any progress any further, it's my responsibility to apologize, not his.

 

"It's okay, it's my fault completely. Mianhaeyo, Yukiya"

 

He releases me, and put his hands on my shoulder 

 

"Let's just support each other as a close friend from now on, I'll be there when you need me"

 

"Yeah, I'll do the same, it's a promise" we make a promise by putting each other's little finger. I fake a smile once again.

 

"By the way, is there any particular reason why do you like me? I never thought a quiet and clam girl like is a type that confesses feeling easily" I wonder how he get that image out of me, it's rue though, I don't really like boys.

 

"I guess I should tell you the truth, I like you for not who you are, but what you have in common with...him"

 

"Him?" he asks.

 

I gaze up to the sky and retell my story " It happened 3 years ago.

 

Seohyun's In The Past POV

 

I was still new in the SM entertainment, I just happen to know my unnies. There was this guy, he's very supportive to me, he's kind, honest and....he looks just like you, but he's a bit older than you. his name is Jonghwa. We met everyday, although we're not in relationship, he was a great mentor for me, he tutored me when I was still new to singing. 

 

"Seohyun-shi! Wait up, slow down a little!"  Jonghwa pants in exhaust.

 

"Aw c'mon, oppa! You're the one who suggested me to watch this concert, you said it would be a good reference to me"

 

"Yeah, I told you so, but ease up! It's not like we're late.......aren't we?"

 

"Look at your watch closely and see what time it is"

 

He looks at his watch and laughs

 

"Haha, mianhaeyo, I'm sorry because i totally overslept back then"

 

"Just get on it, quickly, we're going in" 

 

We shared many good times, everything was so perfect in those days. He's like my brother, a brother when I can lean on to many problems, he treats me like his little sister.

 

Someday, he did something weird, he was so nervous I don't know why but I can't forget what he did when we went to got some coffee. He asked for some salt and put in the salt to his coffee. I asked with curiousity.

 

"Ya, Jonghwa oppa, come to your senses. There's no one on earth that'll drink that salty coffee of yours"

 

He looked down, but smiled afterwards. He answered me "When I was a little boy, I was living near the sea, I liked playing in the sea, I could feel the taste of the sea , just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, always think of my childhood, think of my hometown, I miss my hometown so much, I miss my parents who are still living there"

 

While saying that tears filled his eyes. I was deeply touched. That's his true feeling, from the bottom of his heart. A man who can tell out his homesickness, he must be a man who loves home, cares about home, has responsibility of home. I never got any slightest idea that he's a person like this, somehow I spoke about my hometown and my childhood too, it was a very a nice talk. I didn't realize, I have fallen for him, I love him, but I'm scared to confess my feelings, as he always treats me as his little sister.

 

After a while, we went out some other time and I always asked for salt for his coffee, I don't know it tastes but the only thing that matters is that he liked it. When we drank, he told me that he's about to went back to his family once again in China, I was so happy for him, but sad at the same time. 

 

He took me with him when he went to the airport, he said he wanted to say last goodbye before he left, We promised to each other to keep in touch but it wouldn’t be the same, it wouldn’t be like old times, we wouldn’t see each other except in pictures, we couldn’t do anything together now. We couldn’t be there for each other, all the time anymore. Furthermore we are two continents away from each other. I still fell in love with him, but didn't have courage to tell him the truth. And so he left, while I'm still standing here waiting for him.

 

Days passed, and there's still no news from him,I hadn’t been getting any emails or letters from him; or hadn’t been getting any at all. I tried to tell myself that, “Its okay Seohyun, he’s just busy that’s all.” However I had my doubts. What if he’s not busy at all? What if he forgot about me? What if he got a girlfriend and been too busy to talk or even stay in touch with me? A lot of what ifs’ are on my head. I tried emailing him and writing letters but there was no reply. What if all my what ifs’ came true? Then maybe I should be pleased, pleased for the reason that he’s happy. On the contrary why didn’t he tell me?

 

One week later, I received a letter from his home address, accusing it was him I ripped it open. I was so anxious to read his letter that I skipped a couple of parts, that I thought wasn’t that important. Unfortunately, it is important. He was hit by a truck and in coma state, I dropped the letter, didn't beliave what I've just read. I quickly act and went to China by myself.

 

I preceded to the hospital his in. I was so worried to see him, concerned that he’s undergoing from a poor health. When I got in his room my heart raised and kept thumping on my chest. I noticed him lying there with bandages all over his body. I felt sorry for him. 

 

"Oppa, Oppa, I'm here now. It's Seohyun, please wake up" He didn't respond of course, I waited until he woke up.

 

Someday a miracle came, he opened his eyes finally! But he's still in weak condition.

 

"Seohyun? What're you doing here?" he asked.

 

"I was worried about you badly!"

 

"The last time, I remembered I was hit by a truck and suddenly everything went black. Anyway, thank you, Seohyun, you still remember me." he my cheek.

 

"Oppa, I made you this, your one and only salty coffee you liked! From yours truly" I handed the salty coffee.

 

"Thanks" he drank it until it's finished "How come you still remember that I liked this?"

 

"I will never forget anything about you, oppa" I was so happy that I didn't lose him, that's a relieve.

 

I promised I will come back tommorow with another coffee, he smiled, and that was the last time I see him smile, although he's still in pain. The next day, his bed was empty, I wondered, where did he go? I saw his mom passed so I asked her, Her answers were terrible.

 

Jonghwa has passed away, I was shocked by the words she gave me. She cried and so did I, how come a kind man like man would passed away? I memorized all the moments I made with him, the man whom I love. Her mother gave me a letter that he made for me, it's like he knows his own death. I read the letter, word by word, because it contains his love for me

 

 Dear Seohyun

 

"Seohyun, please forgive me, I didn't have the chance to keep in touch with you as promised, forgive my whole life lie. This was the only lie I said to you---the salty coffee. Remember the first time I asked for the salty coffee you always make? I was so nervous at that time, actually I wanted some sugar, but I said salt. The reason I was nervous, was...because I wanted to confess my love for you. I kept my feelings because you always regard me as your brother. I tried to tell you the truth many times in my life, but I was too afraid to do that, as I have promised not to lie to you for anything.. Now I'm dying, I'm afraid of nothing so I tell you the truth: I don't like the salty coffee, what a strange bad taste.. But I have had the salty coffee for my whole life! Since I knew you, I never feel sorry for anything I do for you. Having you with me is my biggest happiness for my whole life. If I can live for the second time, still want to know you and have you for my whole life, even though I have to drink the salty coffee again. I didn't have any regrets, I'm satisfied enough to be with you, thanks for all the good memories you made with me, so...this is goodbye. Goodbye, my Seohyun"

 

With Love,

Jonghwa

 

My tears make the letter wet, I don't believe that we both have the same feeling, I'm happy that he also loves me too, even though he didn't admit it back then, The day he woke, I think it's his last chance to see me once again, it's his will that moves him. I will always remember him. How he had been a good friend. How he helped me through bad times. How he loved me so much that I didn’t want to let go. I will not forget him. He had been the best inspiration of my life. He is the best of friend anyone could ever have. I will not forget him. I love him. The End.

 

Yukiya's POV

 

So that's her reason, I think she confesses her feelings to me...because she didn't want to lose the guy she loves anymore, before everything's too late, everything make sense now. But still, I can never replace Jonghwa in her heart, that's more the reason why I rejected her, not that I don't like her, but we're worlds apart.

 

"I'm sorry, you had to hear all those sad story" her eyes glassed, I wipe the tears away.

 

"It's okay, I understand your feelings. somewhere, someday you will find a better man, trust me" I encourage her.

 

"Yes, thank you, Yukiya." 

 

"Shall I take you back home to the dorm?" 

 

"Annyeo! I can go back by myself! Annyeong, Yukiya"  then she runs, I don't know how she feels but I hope I don't break her heart.

 

It's night already, I didn't realize it's dark because I was listening to Seohyun's story. I go home by walking, When I arrive, Sunny's already there, she's back already.

 

"How was it, Yukiya?" she grins, I realized that Seohyun's confession was her idea. 

 

"I said no, Noona" 

 

"Wow, do you like someone else, then?"

 

I make a cup of coffee, ignoring her, atually there answer is no, but I have a reason to hide it. I put salt in the coffee, Sunny sees me when I'm putting it.

 

"Ya! What're you doing?"

 

 "I want to have a try" I drink it until it's finished, now I know how Jonghwa feels about Seohyun, he keeps enduring this bad taste just so he can tell how much he loves him.

 

"What's the taste of that salty coffee?" Sunny asks.

 

"It's Sweet" I answer