Day 77

2013, Year of Us

Monday March 18th, 2013

“You didn’t have to come to the university today if you were feeling tired.” Professor Wu spoke to her daughter as they walked to the lecture hall. “What time did you get in last night?”

“Around 3AM I guess.” Yu-ki held back a yawn as she held open the door.

“No wonder you’re so tired.” Her mother scolded as she walked into the room. “I hope it was worth it.”

Yu-ki followed after her mother scanning the hall for a familiar face. Finding it, she smiled slightly and for the first time in days, she got a smile back, or at least half of one. “Yeah, it was worth it.”

 


Being a “special VIP guest”, Yu-ki got a spot at the best table in the house, a bit more secluded so that she could converse with her friends more comfortably. She stayed seated at the table with James, while Bryan went to try his luck on the dance floor, Tyler close behind to make sure he wouldn’t get in trouble. Tao stayed off the dance floor and stood nearby, a beer in hand, eyes roaming the crowd.

“Katie, I love you!” Bryan slurred drunkenly as he broke through the crowd and stumbled towards her with his arms wide open. Her status also gave her access to the best selection of alcohol, which Bryan took great pleasure to and consequently got completely hammered, thus leading to his current position of lying face first on the cushioned bench, passed out.

“I think it’s time to leave now.” James said as he walked over. “Bryan passing out always marks the finale to our nights out.” With Tyler’s help, the two were able to lift Bryan up off the seat and began carrying him towards the exit. Tao got in front and made sure there was a clear path to the doors. Yu-ki was left to follow behind.

“I hope everything was up to your standards Miss Li.” The manager had appeared out of nowhere. “As a close personal friend of the Park heir, you are a very special VIP guest, and here at Park Place, we strive to provide only the best of service.” He spoke reciting part of the Park Place motto.

“Please put all expenses onto my tab.” Yu-ki said ignoring his obvious attempt at fixing the earlier situation at the doors.

“Certainly. Are you leaving already?” he pried.

“Yes.” Yu-ki replied curtly. “So if you’ll excuse me, a certain Park heir is calling me. I suppose he wants to have a few words.” She waved her phone for emphasis.

“Good words I hope.” He smiled back warily. She turned sharply to look at him. The movement was so sudden that it made him falter in his steps.

“You tell me.” Yu-ki swiftly walked through the doors and into the Vancouver lights.

 

Yu-ki stood in the bus shelter waiting for the bus to arrive. Tyler and James have already left on their bus as they carried a still unconscious Bryan onboard to the University dorms.  Yu-ki tapped her foot and looked out onto the road once again. Seeing no bus in the distance she sighed and moved back into the shelter.

Tao sat on the bench as he watched her wait for the bus. He noticed her shivering and rubbing her arms for warmth. She probably didn’t even know she was cold herself. Shaking his head with a ghost of smile, he moved to stand next to her. Some things never change.

Two minutes until the bus was scheduled to show, a ruckus could be heard nearby. Turning his head to the source of the noise, Tao saw a group of boys around their age all drunk out of their minds, stumbling in their walk and slurring their speech. He took a step closer towards Yu-ki and she unconsciously leaned towards his reassuring presence. The group of boys got under the bus shelter as well and despite dirty looks from others, they continued their disruptive actions.

When the bus arrived, Yu-ki got on first and chose a seat by the window. Tao followed after her and even though there were still many free seats, he took the one right beside her. Yu-ki looked at him with a raised eyebrow but Tao looked in another direction and turned his mp3 player on. Shaking her head with a smile, Yu-ki turned to look out the window and watched as the bright lights of downtown Vancouver faded into the soft glow of streetlamps. Some things never change.

 

Once Yu-ki began recognizing her surroundings, she made to press the stop button, but Tao beat her to it. As the bus rolled to a stop, she stood up and waited for Tao to move so she could alight the bus. To her surprise however, Tao also moved to the doors and stepped off the vehicle. Yu-ki knew very well that there was another stop that would drop him off much closer to his home.

Slipping past her, Tao placed something into her hand. Looking down at her palm, Yu-ki saw a few crumpled bills. “For the drinks tonight.” He said walking off.

“What are you doing?” She asked as she stared after him.

“What you do think?” Tao responded, not sparing a look behind him. “I’m walking you home. It’s dangerous for a young woman to roam the streets alone at this time.”

“You know that’s not what I’m talking about Tao.” Yu-ki began to walk after him staying a few feet behind. “So please tell me, why did you suddenly decide that you wanted to acknowledge me when just a few days ago, you pretended not to know me?” As expected she got no response.

 

The two continued walking in silence until Yu-ki’s house could be seen in the far distance. “I don’t want to lose you again.” Tao spoke so softly that Yu-ki almost missed it. He slowed down his pace until the two were walking side by side. “Losing you was hard the first time. Now that I have a chance to make things right again, I don’t want to let this opportunity to slip.” He stopped when he reached her gate. “Besides, I’m looking for an answer.”

“Someone once told me that people can be blind sometimes and that the answer they are looking for is right in front of their face.” Yu-ki turned to face Tao.

“I know.” He raised his head to meet her gaze.

 

 

From: Park Chanyeol
You worked up quite a tab earlier. As a concerned friend I am telling you that drowning your sorrows in alcohol is not the answer

 

To: Park Chanyeol
Please, what do you take me for? I had some help

 

From: Park Chanyeol
Of course. Our princess doesn’t go for that stuff huh?

 

To: Park Chanyeol
I’d rather stick to my champagne and wines thank you

 

From: Park Chanyeol
Only the best for our favourite heiress. Speaking of which, I heard there was a commotion at the door?

 

To: Park Chanyeol
Nothing I couldn’t handle. Though I did need to threaten to call your father

 

From: Park Chanyeol
You haven’t even met him

 

To: Park Chanyeol
They don’t know that

 

From: Park Chanyeol
You’re very scary you know that right. Remind me to never get on your bad side

 

 

 

 

[A/N]: Tthis is a very Tao-centric chapter. There is progress in the Tao/Yuki relationship yay! Things are not 100% back to normal because there are still a few things that need to be addressed, but for the time being they are at least acknowledging each other. Oh, in case it wasn't clear enough this was a flashback to the last chapter after they leave the club. Also incase you didn't catch it, Chanyeol is the president's son (not the president of the country, but the president of the company), so yeah their business is the night club business and I will have more on this topic and how it affects Chanyeol's personality later. (that was kinda spoiler-y)

Just a few things to note, the drinking age in BC is 19. I felt like that was relevant information that you needed to know. (any Canadian readers?) and the text messages with Chanyeol take place after Tao dropped her at home (at like 4AM Vancouver time, noon? Seoul time)

And I think that's about it for this chapter....yeah. Next one will be a very fun one. (also this chapter is ish. How does one English? I don't even)